WINDOWS 8 ?
Posted: 05 November 2012 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 181 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12592
Joined  2007-11-06
RAMWolff - 05 November 2012 01:05 PM

Now I have a handle on the tiles. 

Once you sign up for the MS account, you don’t have to use the email or anything, just gives you access to some of the other portals like the App Store. 

Found just about all the apps I love on my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 II Tab including the most fabulous radio app that I’ve got running now called TuneIn.... Tiles you can drag and drop to organize them.  Which is really nice.

Of course I had to make the background Wolffie Green.. but of course!  raspberry

Liking Win8 ALLOT now!  grin

...ahhh my eyes!!!!!

I couldn’t look at that all day.  it is just too cluttered and garish.

Why do the developers at Microsquish think this is an improvement?

Makes me seriously think about moving to Linux.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 05 November 2012 10:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 182 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4730
Joined  2004-08-11
sunfirexed - 05 November 2012 07:31 PM

In case you like to have the classic windows on windows 8.
http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

I was very happy to try this but there are some issues.  When I rebooted the widgets app that I installed, which works just great, stopped working and installing your own Start button… doesn’t work very well.  The widgets was what told me that’s a no.  I’m sure this person will get this all fixed in time but for now.. I’m sticking with the Stardock Start8 start-menu!  Thanks for the link!  grin

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

DAZ Studio 4 Frequently Asked Questions

Posted: 05 November 2012 10:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 183 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11
Kyoto Kid - 05 November 2012 09:54 PM
RAMWolff - 05 November 2012 01:05 PM

Now I have a handle on the tiles. 

Once you sign up for the MS account, you don’t have to use the email or anything, just gives you access to some of the other portals like the App Store. 

Found just about all the apps I love on my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 II Tab including the most fabulous radio app that I’ve got running now called TuneIn.... Tiles you can drag and drop to organize them.  Which is really nice.

Of course I had to make the background Wolffie Green.. but of course!  raspberry

Liking Win8 ALLOT now!  grin

...ahhh my eyes!!!!!

I couldn’t look at that all day.  it is just too cluttered and garish.

Why do the developers at Microsquish think this is an improvement?

Makes me seriously think about moving to Linux.

The background color is totally customizable!  You can make it black if you want.  You also have the option to boot directly to the Desktop, which I do.  I just happen to like some of the Apps so I go there to start up a music App I like….

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 05 November 2012 11:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 184 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  2005-11-27

I’ve been rocking Win 8 all day and I like it. It’s not nearly as bad as others want to assert, and it’s running very well, even though I did an upgrade install. Since I use a Glidepoint trackpad on my PC, the interface really suits it well.

Signature 

The Revolution is coming…

==========================================================

“The universe is big. It’s vast and complicated and… ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles…”

- The 10th Doctor, Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens (Series 5, Episode 12)

Posted: 06 November 2012 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 185 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2196
Joined  2011-11-16

One thing to consider. Having been using MS OS’s for longer then I care to mention, there is a pattern I’ve noticed. When a new OS comes out, the older one mysteriously starts to having glitches. Now I’m not ‘saying’ this is on purpose. For one thing, whenever an OS is released, the next one goes into full development mode by a dedicated team, so Win9 is now supposedly ramped into full development mode (this right from MS.) The best programmers are supposedly put on the New OS (Win9 in this case.) The second lvl team is put on the current OS, Win8. This ofc means that the ones maintaining the old one, Win7 are the 3d lvl programmers, you know.. the ones ‘not’ on the fast track. They supposedly (according to discussions I’ve had with MS employees) given less resources and time then they previously had to ‘fix’ or maintain anything… any fix that introduces problems, and many fixes do.. take longer to fix, so the fixes often break things more often. All of this works in MS’ favor in motivating people to move to the new OS. So, new OS has lots of stuff broken that hasn’t been discovered but will probably be addressed quickly, old OS has less broken stuff but will introduce new ones as fixes break things and the fixes come less timely…

This isn’t any recommendation on what people should do, just food for thought.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 06 November 2012 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 186 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

If you hate the Ribbon menus, as I do, there IS a fix.  I’m so glad I didn’t give up on my search for this.  See here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS818EnMkEM

It works by the way!  grin  I now have back my old menu style in my Windows Explorer folders!  YAY!

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 06 November 2012 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 187 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

Helpful Customization tips! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YekkAOgh_c

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 08 November 2012 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 188 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  198
Joined  2003-10-09

after a stream of issue I’m going to wipe my HD and go back to 7.
Win 8 trashes stuff just because it’s grumpy and it’s administrative moaning is beyond annoying, it eventually ate my ethernet which was the last straw for me.
perhaps it’ll be a bit more finished by the time I get my next PC

Posted: 08 November 2012 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 189 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  2005-11-27
adzan - 08 November 2012 06:00 PM

Win 8 trashes stuff just because it’s grumpy and it’s administrative moaning is beyond annoying, it eventually ate my ethernet which was the last straw for me.

I had some soundcard driver problems, but I seem to have them worked out now. Just because you’re having problems doesn’t mean the OS itself is problematic. Others seem to be getting along with it fine.

Signature 

The Revolution is coming…

==========================================================

“The universe is big. It’s vast and complicated and… ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles…”

- The 10th Doctor, Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens (Series 5, Episode 12)

Posted: 09 November 2012 12:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 190 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6595
Joined  2006-02-20
TheWheelMan - 08 November 2012 06:16 PM
adzan - 08 November 2012 06:00 PM

I had some soundcard driver problems, but I seem to have them worked out now. Just because you’re having problems doesn’t mean the OS itself is problematic. Others seem to be getting along with it fine.

But he is allowed to tell us about his experience - and I AM thankful for it.

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?
Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki: https://poserdazfreebies.orain.org

Posted: 09 November 2012 02:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 191 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

It’s just like anything digital it seems . Many have good luck with DAZ Studio, others have better luck with Poser.  Some can upgrade to Windows 8 with little to no issues and others have a rougher time with it.  My experience is great so far…. LOVE this OS and it’s by far, for me, the best version of Windows yet.  Stardock provides Start8 and Decor8 along with a few other little tweaks and it’s fine.  Couple of hiccups with a few apps and ONE driver issue with Wacom but that’s resolved now. 

Decor8 provides a way to have full control over how the Start screen looks.  Allows you to insert your own set of image folders to pick and choose what images you want.  LOTS of controls including some tile and font colors too.  My own stary background and changed the tiles to Wolffy green for now…

Image Attachments
Decor8BackgroundTweaks.jpg
 Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 26 November 2012 03:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 192 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1786
Joined  2010-02-14

Woah! What’s that Astrologer application about? grin

Signature 

“I’m sorry, I can’t hear you over the sound of how awesome I am!” ~ Brextor Ultimus

FORUM MEMBER POST RANKS
New Member = 0
Member = 25
Active Member = 250
Power Member = 1000
Addict = 2500

My Art Studio

Posted: 26 November 2012 03:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 193 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3105
Joined  2009-02-24

The only issue with upgrading is a hardware one. As of the time of writing, Windows 8 has very poor hardware support and most of the current problems stem from various drivers being unavailable or simply not functioning. Case in point, my laptop ceased to play any sounds unless I hooked up a USB headset which doubles as a soundblaster. The onboard sound simply wasn’t supported despite countless attempts to get it to load the older Windows 7 drivers.

Other issues are a horrible lack of support for multiple screens unless you’re exclusively using the desktop mode which functions much like it always has sans Start menu. I could go on about the niggling things which drive me absolutely insane regarding Windows 8, but I’ll repress the urge so as not to sound like I’m ranting. Suffice to say, if you’re already using Windows 7 and you don’t have a need for the new Start menu system, there is very little incentive to upgrade. It has some interesting new security features, but this cut-down version of Windows has too many issues for me to fully support at this time.

Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt
Download my free IBL presets for Luxus
Re-upload of Cresent’s awesome pwToon shaders
Create your own Smart Content

Posted: 30 November 2012 01:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 194 ]
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-10-06

Hi ts, congratz on your upgrade, how many rams you have? is it 64 bit window?

Posted: 30 November 2012 05:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 195 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  295
Joined  2003-10-09

I think I’ll let this one pass as I did with Vista. There don’t seem to be any positive reasons to change.

From some reports it seems to be bombing, maybe because it is not targetted at MS main users. Where are most Windows machines? In offices. They are workhorses maybe fronting something bigger. Employers like them fairly vanilla and so do the tech people.

Signature 

Freebies

13 of 14