12 of 14
WINDOWS 8 ?
Posted: 04 November 2012 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 166 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  191
Joined  2003-10-09
LeatherGryphon - 04 November 2012 10:45 AM
RAMWolff - 04 November 2012 09:46 AM

Question about the upgrade.  So I leave all these projects and links and pictures on my desktop and upgrade will they still be there when I boot in to Win8 or will the upgrade process put them in a folder or shoved them into “Documents”  Just curious about what happens to personal stuff or nothing happens and it’s just there.  I imagine the background pictures will have to be reset to something I like….

I didn’t notice any change with my “Desktop”.  Except for the loss of the “START Orb” and “Gadgets”. 

Desktop shouldn’t be a problem, IF you have the upgrade and not a complete new OEM installation.  The biggest issues is for administratively minded people trying to find where the hell things like the “Control Panel” and “Computer Properties” went to and how to make quick links to them.

For those things there already are shortcuts - right click on the left bottom corner and you have a list with those among them

Posted: 04 November 2012 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 167 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4456
Joined  2004-08-11

Question about the upgrade.  So I leave all these projects and links and pictures on my desktop and upgrade will they still be there when I boot in to Win8 or will the upgrade process put them in a folder or shoved them into “Documents”  Just curious about what happens to personal stuff or nothing happens and it’s just there.  I imagine the background pictures will have to be reset to something I like….

I didn’t notice any change with my “Desktop”.  Except for the loss of the “START Orb” and “Gadgets”. 

Desktop shouldn’t be a problem, IF you have the upgrade and not a complete new OEM installation.  The biggest issues is for administratively minded people trying to find where the hell things like the “Control Panel” and “Computer Properties” went to and how to make quick links to them.

Thanks for clearing that up for me!  grin

So not sure if you things like Rocket Dock or or anything that is a not really a widget but does load kinda like one.  I really rely on Rocket Dock.  I also really wish they would have made sure the dual monitor thing would have been a bit better.  I’ll have to check that out I guess when I get to this.  I’m very very tempted right now! lol

Firefox has an option to put “Deskcuts” on the desktop, that functionality still works?

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 04 November 2012 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 168 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2268
Joined  2003-12-06
RAMWolff - 04 November 2012 01:28 PM

I also really wish they would have made sure the dual monitor thing would have been a bit better.

What’s this, a weirdness in using dual monitors? Is it an annoyance, or a total showstopper? Might be useful as ammunition at the office the nexrt time someone talks about that all-over system upgrade — I’m the only one using dual monitors, but I happen to be the one office (studio/prepress) where it has to work as seamlessly as it does in XP (and, I assume, in 7).

Signature 

Gone to Vegas to play poker. Back when I run out of clothes.—Your Muse.

Posted: 04 November 2012 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 169 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

Ah, OK then the Win 8 upgrade will not mess that up for me then!  GOOD!

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 04 November 2012 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 170 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  684
Joined  2003-10-09
WimvdB - 04 November 2012 11:16 AM

For those things there already are shortcuts - right click on the left bottom corner and you have a list with those among them

Ah ha!  Right-click on the left bottom corner of the START page and you get a menu with the typical Administrator’s tools.

But right-click on the left bottom corner of the DESKTOP page and you get a menu which gives access to the computer “Properties”. 

All these new places that are context-sensitive for the left-click function and right-click options.  Arghhhh…. :-(  I’m afraid to ponder what happens with middle-click in various places!

Who was it who thought that assigning hidden functions to keys and mouse buttons was a good idea?  Gather ‘round kiddies and grampa will tell you of the days when teletypes only used 5-bit character codes, you had only 61 characters (upper case letters only & punctuation) and you had to press (or release) the shift key to switch between them.  Now the modern PC keyboard has several levels (caps, Ctrl, Alt, and multi-combinations).  Also, complex programs have a long list of keyboard shortcuts that nobody remembers unless they devotedly use that application every day.  To make matters worse, the keyboard shortcuts are sometimes configurable.  There used to be some standardization of keyboard shortcuts between applications but now the needs of the applications has dictated that they all branch out and define their own key assignments that may or may not have any mnemonic link to the letter on the key.

Now we find ourselves in the bizarre situation of assigning multiple functions to empty spaces of display real-estate! (upper/lower/left/right corners, & unused display space) none of which have any visual indication that you have functionality there.

I’m sorry, but I miss the days when I typed a two letter command into a clunky old teletype and the computer thought for 10 seconds and then spat back alphanumeric answers.  No pictures, no sounds, just useful information needed at that moment.  Sent rockets to the moon we did.

And the “WEB” consisted of two wires soldered into the motherboards of the two computers at opposite sides of my lab.  Security was handled by a key in the door and a close eye on the teletype console.

And we had an actual “bit-bucket” under the teletype papertape puncher.

And everybody who used computers back in those days was educated.

And we all sat around in our bearskins at the mouth of the cave roasting mastodon over the fire after work.

Signature 

I’m sooo confused…  I’ve come to grasp a little of the nature of reality and the answer to life, the universe, and everything.  I even have an inkling as to who and what I am. Auuummmmm…
But please, please, who the hell are you?  And why are you trampling my roses?

Posted: 04 November 2012 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 171 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1829
Joined  2006-02-17
LeatherGryphon - 04 November 2012 06:03 PM

...snip…

And we had an actual “bit-bucket” under the teletype papertape puncher.

And the best (confetti | punishment) ever devised!!!! Add Elmers Glue-All for some real dangerous fun…

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 05 November 2012 12:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 172 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

Well I’m in… If your upgrading you don’t need to worry about a password.  Your old settings stay in place, at least that’s my experience so far.  I did create a new MS username and password but I use GMail so not sure if that’s going to be of any help for instant updates with this weird setup.  The tiles are OK… the system can not find Photoshop.  But Rocket Dock still functions so I can get to it from there so that’s a relief.  The option to show ALL APPS which is a right click on the Tiles Start area brings up bottom area (which seems really very large for what it contains) has ONE icon in it called Show All Apps.  This OS is fine so far but it does feel like it’s in it’s infancy with how it looks and behaves.  Very rudimentary in allot of ways and slick in other areas…. I was able to figure out how to turn off tiles I don’t like… if you simply right click on a tile a check mark will appear and another little panel pops up below giving you options… just “unpin” and it will go away.  I’m sure there must be a way to add apps in the main line up to set it up to MY liking but not figured that out yet.  My desktops look exactly the same.  The dual wallpapers are just fine, no adjustments were needed.  I think I’m going to try to get my widgets back though.  I miss my big clock on the Desktop and a couple of others.  Just glad that Rocket Dock works!  YAY!

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 05 November 2012 02:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 173 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10698
Joined  2007-11-06
LeatherGryphon - 04 November 2012 08:00 AM

And let’s hope computers don’t develop a taste for blood!!! 8-o

...oh, they’ve already done that.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 05 November 2012 02:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 174 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1198
Joined  2007-11-30
Kyoto Kid - 05 November 2012 02:13 AM

Colossus or the ZAX mainframe?

Posted: 05 November 2012 04:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 175 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  142
Joined  2006-09-14
maclean - 27 October 2012 04:17 AM
SpottedKitty - 26 October 2012 10:31 PM

It’s all right for someone used to the way things are done on modern phones and tablets, but is that really a good idea for a full OS used in a desktop PC?

I’ve been following Win 8 and from what I can see, this is MS making a last desperate effort to get into the Samsung/Apple territory - ie phones, where they’ve failed miserably. MS must feel enraged seeing Samsung sell 1/3 of the phones on the planet and make a fortune. LOL.

Of course, all the media hype so far has been on MS Surface, so we don’t hear much about the regular desktop side of Win 8. The problem is that for serious work, phones are tablets are crap, and MS don’t seem to realise that. The reasoning goes ‘Phones are trendy. We can make some money’ True, but the world will continue to use desktops are laptops for 95% of everyday work, so if MS abandon those users, they won’t be selling much. Already, most analysts are predicting that very few desktop users will upgrade to Win 8.

mac

A friend of mine is having to support Windows 8 laptops already. He has had the hardest time getting them on the local wireless network. Seems they don’t speak WPA 2 correctly. As for Microsoft’s direction, given that the revenue Apple generates from the iPhone alone is greater than all of Microsoft, Ballmer is sweating bullets. He has been screwing up since DOS 4. Maybe this will be his last.

Signature 

My life and times: http://bryonlape.com/

Posted: 05 November 2012 06:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 176 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13589
Joined  2003-10-09
Norse Graphics - 05 November 2012 02:38 AM
Kyoto Kid - 05 November 2012 02:13 AM

Colossus or the ZAX mainframe?

I think every time I’ve built a PC and most times I’ve upgraded a component I’ve ended up leaving a blood offering to the technology gods.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 05 November 2012 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 177 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

Ended up right clicking on the Mail module and chose “uninstall” and it uninstalled that along with the calendar and messenger service and when I booted in this AM it went right to the desktop bypassing the tiles Start menu.  I did go to Stardock and pay them $5.00 to get the Start8 menu and well, my old desktop looks just like it did before the upgrade.  The only thing I DON’T like is the lack of being able to change my font system colors and I do miss the rounded corners on the windows as well as hating that stupid Ribbon menu system.  YUK!

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 05 November 2012 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 178 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

Now I have a handle on the tiles. 

Once you sign up for the MS account, you don’t have to use the email or anything, just gives you access to some of the other portals like the App Store. 

Found just about all the apps I love on my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 II Tab including the most fabulous radio app that I’ve got running now called TuneIn.... Tiles you can drag and drop to organize them.  Which is really nice.

Of course I had to make the background Wolffie Green.. but of course!  raspberry

Liking Win8 ALLOT now!  grin

Image Attachments
RAMSStartMenu.jpg
 Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 05 November 2012 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 179 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

If anyone is troubled by the constant nag and lock screens that come on asking if it’s OK for a driver to update or when your installing a program then this page will be of help to you. 

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-turn-off-smartscreen-filter-for-windows-8/

It shows you were your UAC is located and shows you how to turn off the lock screen nags!

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 05 November 2012 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 180 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2004-04-23

In case you like to have the classic windows on windows 8.
http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

12 of 14