WINDOWS 8 ?
Posted: 02 November 2012 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 151 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1198
Joined  2007-11-30
adzan - 30 October 2012 06:11 PM
LeatherGryphon - 30 October 2012 06:04 PM

Other than my objections noted above and the inherent confusion with any new interface, I find that Win8 appears to work,... except HOW DO YOU LOG OFF or TURN THE DAMN THING OFF?  Arghhhhhh….... :-(

Mouse to the top right of the screen
move the mouse down the ‘charms’
click on Settings
click on Power and select from the list
2D/
or

if you like to use the Keyboard press the - Windows Key + i - to open the settings charm panel then use the tab or arrow keys and enter key to scroll through and make selections

or

Press the - Windows Key + r - and type -  shutdown -s -t 0   - then press enter to shut down
or type -  shutdown -r -t 0   - then press enter to restart

Now, this is patently stupid!! mad

To have all these hoops to just shut down you computer? big surprise

Edit. I have Vista32 on my laptop, and Win7 (64-bit) on my 2/3D computer. Both MS. After reading the thread through, it seems that staying away from ‘Wait’ is a smart move on my part as I have no need for a dumbed-down OS.

Posted: 02 November 2012 09:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 152 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2004-12-19

Loving my Windows 8 update. Made an ISO & everything went smoothly. Will post more of my finding & experiences later.
You can download a free Windows 8 e-book from Microsoft, and here are some additional getting started tips:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/B/1/E/B1E7F4C9-304D-456C-BD96-A2287FA7871D/Microsoft_Press_ebook_Introducing_Windows_8_Free_Preview_PDF.pdf

http://www.lockergnome.com/windows/2012/10/31/windows-8-a-beginners-guide-for-the-bewildered-part-1-of-3-2/

BTW off topic a bit. I talked with Cath @ MEC4D tonight (Friday 11/2), and after 5 days, she finally has power back. She like many of us are dealing with the aftermath of Sandy here on the East Coast. but we are both lucky that things are slowly getting back to normal. We should all take a moment & be thankful for the things we take for granted.  Mother Nature can turn everything around in a “New York Minute”

Signature 

MEC4D ~ 15 Years of 3D Textures, Tools & Characters 4 U~ | Reality 2.5-AVAILABLE NOW! | “Light glorifies everything…light is everything.” – Leonard Missone

Posted: 02 November 2012 09:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 153 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  308
Joined  2004-08-13
fixmypcmike - 27 October 2012 08:16 PM
Mec4D - 27 October 2012 06:42 PM

Desktop programs works the same way as it was before and there are not much change to it and the workflow I was talking about win8 APPs finding a little cross and click it right on a screen is not simple with touch screen , so throwing it out is the fastest way in this case and I am used to do that on my tablet so for me nothing new ... I just like to touch and btw I never used mous in my entire live .. it is all personal choice , important what is best for you as nothing in this world can be good to everyone ...
I remember when I said that I would NEVER purchase a tablet , until I did from curiosity and got hooked up I just love so much tech gadgets and go with the flow .
However not always , I stopped using Poser after ver.8 until 2012 , I hate the changes in the interface until today , including the stupid library but have no choice and have to use it , I like programs I am working in to be simple and I am not fan of the Poser tabs or DS tabs either , and what make me like win8 is that I can throw it away if I don;t need it and get it outta my way and go back to it with a simple touch .. keeping my workspace clean if I need it , reducing also the memory of my vid card
also I love the search with one click I have all files I looking for or are that DAZ installers or Read me or renders as the files are pretty good organized by itself automatic , for example I look for files associated with DAZ3D, boom everything is there in a sec ..
They did it so easy even blind can find a file and send it

So what do things look like if you use desktop programs?  I look at that search image you displayed and it looks to me like the functionality of what I can already do in Win7 by pressing the Windows key and then typing my search, except in a less useful visual format.  Why would I want to waste space with an icon next to every result, most of which are the same anyway, when I can see the text is being truncated?

I know I’m an extremely non-visual person, but for me parsing words is an order of magnitude faster than parsing icons.  I know I have peripheral neuropathy and a susceptibility to repetitive-stress-injuries, but for me, unless it’s something that’s truly more efficient to do graphically, menus and arrow keys are far easier and faster.

I never use a mouse myself if I can avoid it, I prefer touchpads, but I use them as little as possible if something can be done with a keyboard.  If it requires fast movement to a distant part of the screen, a touchpad is useful, but I hate precise placement using any such device, above all with a mouse.

I had an android phone for about 3 weeks.  Give me a keyboard any day.

[Edited to correct typos (using arrow keys to get to the right place, not my touchpad)]

This. You are not alone, though I don’t have the same medical issues.

All this moving the cursor around, gesturing, extra clicks… it’s asking for injury among those who must spend hours a day using their machines for productivity. Keyboards don’t cause nearly the same strain as a mouse. Evidence for this is that most computer based repetitive strain injuries involve the right hand (usually the mouse hand); whereas, on a QWERTY keyboard, most of the work is done by the left hand. You can reduce your chances of injury by using as many keyboard shortcuts as possible. And now there’s an OS that wants you to wave your arms around even more? Yikes.

Posted: 03 November 2012 06:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 154 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14324
Joined  2003-10-09

To be fair, there are a lot of Win key+something shortcuts in W8 - one of the complaints in the testing forums was that there were too many, but they should cover most functions.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 03 November 2012 07:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 155 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2003-10-12

Norse Graphics - 02 November 2012 07:29 PM
adzan - 30 October 2012 06:11 PM
LeatherGryphon - 30 October 2012 06:04 PM

Other than my objections noted above and the inherent confusion with any new interface, I find that Win8 appears to work,... except HOW DO YOU LOG OFF or TURN THE DAMN THING OFF?  Arghhhhhh….... :-(

Mouse to the top right of the screen
move the mouse down the ‘charms’
click on Settings
click on Power and select from the list
2D/
or

if you like to use the Keyboard press the - Windows Key + i - to open the settings charm panel then use the tab or arrow keys and enter key to scroll through and make selections

or

Press the - Windows Key + r - and type -  shutdown -s -t 0   - then press enter to shut down
or type -  shutdown -r -t 0   - then press enter to restart

Now, this is patently stupid!! mad

To have all these hoops to just shut down you computer? big surprise

Edit. I have Vista32 on my laptop, and Win7 (64-bit) on my 2/3D computer. Both MS. After reading the thread through, it seems that staying away from ‘Wait’ is a smart move on my part as I have no need for a dumbed-down OS.

Follow these instructions to create a one-click shutdown tile for Win-8’s menu…

http://blog.laptopmag.com/how-to-shutdown-windows-8-in-just-one-click

Posted: 03 November 2012 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 156 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  703
Joined  2003-10-09
Velvet Goblin - 02 November 2012 09:47 PM

All this moving the cursor around, gesturing, extra clicks… it’s asking for injury among those who must spend hours a day using their machines for productivity. Keyboards don’t cause nearly the same strain as a mouse. Evidence for this is that most computer based repetitive strain injuries involve the right hand (usually the mouse hand); whereas, on a QWERTY keyboard, most of the work is done by the left hand. You can reduce your chances of injury by using as many keyboard shortcuts as possible. And now there’s an OS that wants you to wave your arms around even more? Yikes.

For those of us who were UNIX gurus the keyboard was our friend.  We could cast a complex spell faster than any point’n-click mechanism any day.  Just try finding all filenames that began with “cra”, longer than 100 lines, search for any line in those files that had the characters “446” and “tiddly” in them, swap their position in the file, rename the file to “CRA” and move it to a different directory then print it on two printers within 6 seconds using a point’n-click interface.  HA!  did stuff like that all day long.  Found running totals from growing files, compared text or binary files with certainitude, automatically merge latest versions of data from multiple sources, Identified exact differences between nearly identical directories, all with the magic of regular expressions, pipes, a library of pipe friendly commands, and sparks from our fingers as we typed. :-o

Signature 

I’m sooo confused…  I’ve come to grasp a little of the nature of reality and the answer to life, the universe, and everything.  I even have an inkling as to who and what I am. Auuummmmm…
But please, please, who the hell are you?  And why are you trampling my roses?

Posted: 03 November 2012 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 157 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  866
Joined  2004-05-14

Keeping pressed Alt and then F4 key together goes directly to shutdown choice.
If Windows 8 desktop is running, pressing “Windows” key, switches back and forward
between desktop and Metro interface start screen.

Posted: 03 November 2012 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 158 ]
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2003-10-09

Check here to return win8 back to win 7 heaven!
http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2012/10/how-to-fix-windows-8s-biggest-annoyances/
http://www.howtogeek.com/109968/6-great-tricks-for-windows-8-that-you-probably-dont-know/

cheers:-)

Signature 

1drworx

Posted: 03 November 2012 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 159 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2408
Joined  2003-12-06
Norse Graphics - 02 November 2012 06:41 PM

Seems MS doesn’t realize most money comes from the business sector, and from what I’ve heard/read, very few - if ANY! - will upgrade to Win8. Most likely they’ll go for Win7 when they upgrade from WinXP.

Our work computers will certainly not go to Win8 — noises have been made for a little while now about upgrading from XP, but nothing definite yet. Some of the office people have Win7 on their laptops, but I think that might be partly due to the hideous B&D security system we had to use (only recently fixed up to work in Win7). I certainly wouldn’t be able to get as much work done in a Win8 system as described upthread: if I wanted to use a tablet OS, I’d buy a tablet.

Signature 

Gone to Vegas to play poker. Back when I run out of clothes.—Your Muse.

Posted: 03 November 2012 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 160 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11195
Joined  2007-11-06

...they did the same in our workplace.  Some have Win7 but Thankfully I still have XP (which I run with “Windows Classic” shell).  In a business production environment (that primarily uses software like spreadsheets and WPs) XP is more than adequate.  I don’t see us going to Win8 anytime in the foreseeable future (at least I hope not).

If my experiences with our recent move to Office 2010 are any indication of where MS is heading, Win8 is definitely a big miss.

In all the Office 2010 apps, the familiar menu bar has been replaced by this new “tool bar strip” which to say the least is far more cumbersome to use (and thus has a negative impact on productivity).  Oh the menus are still there but take an extra click or two to activate. If you accidentally touch the scroll wheel on the mouse while the cursor in in the strip, it changes position to a different function.  If you don’t notice the change (which is easy to do when working in a high pressure environment like I do) you can get some “interesting” and often irritating results clicking or hitting a key.

Many of the hotkeys have been changed, one of the most annoying being the print sequence keystrokes:  ALT+F+P+[Enter].  Now it’s ALT+F+P+P. which if you do it in another non windows app (like Acrobat) does something completely different. Basically they broke things which didn’t need fixing.  Finally 2010 office apps take a lot longer to load and change screens than older versions of the software.  I estimate that now I lose between 40 min to almost an hour just waiting for the various apps to do something so I can get on with my work.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 03 November 2012 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 161 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4547
Joined  2004-08-11

Got into work today, package was on my station… won’t install just yet though.  Have projects so will wait a while longer.  ... maybe!  raspberry

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 04 November 2012 08:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 162 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
RAMWolff - 03 November 2012 08:56 PM

Got into work today, package was on my station… won’t install just yet though.  Have projects so will wait a while longer.  ... maybe!  raspberry

Good policy.  You’re going to eat a whole day getting familiar with it and tweaking it. 

I’ve been playing with the optional “picture as password” feature.  It’s cool but I’m not so sure it’s as secure from prying eyes behind you.  With a password you can probably type fast enough that a casual observer won’t catch all the special characters and case shifts.  However, depending on how you select the three strokes or taps on your picturelocks, a casual observer could easily repeat them.  I use a copy of the Hubble Ultra Deep Field photo of zillions of galaxies as my screen background and screenlock image.  I specifically chose unique (but not easily seen from a distance) galaxies or groups of galaxies as my targets.  The other problem with this is that drawing circles around an object is clumsy with a mouse.  Probably much better to use taps or straight lines instead.  Circles probably wouldn’t be a problem on a tablet interface.  You don’t have to be super accurate.  On a 23” screen the tap spot is about the size of a standard aspirin tablet.

Of course passwords have their own problems.  The only way computers will ever be completely secure to individuals is to give them a drop of blood and wait for a DNA analysis!  Watch out for suspicious people poking you with a pin! And let’s hope computers don’t develop a taste for blood!!! 8-o

Signature 

I’m sooo confused…  I’ve come to grasp a little of the nature of reality and the answer to life, the universe, and everything.  I even have an inkling as to who and what I am. Auuummmmm…

Posted: 04 November 2012 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 163 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

Yea, while I’m interested in using the pictogram thing being just me at home I’ll probably just go and set up the computer to auto boot in.  If I upgrade at work or get a new laptop there THEN I’ll probably use a password protection of some sort.

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 04 November 2012 09:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 164 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

Question about the upgrade.  So I leave all these projects and links and pictures on my desktop and upgrade will they still be there when I boot in to Win8 or will the upgrade process put them in a folder or shoved them into “Documents”  Just curious about what happens to personal stuff or nothing happens and it’s just there.  I imagine the background pictures will have to be reset to something I like….

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 04 November 2012 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 165 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
RAMWolff - 04 November 2012 09:46 AM

Question about the upgrade.  So I leave all these projects and links and pictures on my desktop and upgrade will they still be there when I boot in to Win8 or will the upgrade process put them in a folder or shoved them into “Documents”  Just curious about what happens to personal stuff or nothing happens and it’s just there.  I imagine the background pictures will have to be reset to something I like….

I didn’t notice any change with my “Desktop”.  Except for the loss of the “START Orb” and “Gadgets”. 

Desktop shouldn’t be a problem, IF you have the upgrade and not a complete new OEM installation.  The biggest issues is for administratively minded people trying to find where the hell things like the “Control Panel” and “Computer Properties” went to and how to make quick links to them.

Signature 

11 of 14