8 of 14
WINDOWS 8 ?
Posted: 30 October 2012 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 106 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1368
Joined  2010-03-25
digitell - 30 October 2012 05:03 PM

I was thinking that Windows 8 would only work on a touch screen computer..that is all I have seen of it when advertised on TV..people using the touch screen with it. Made me wonder how in the world could a graphics person use such a OS and it just could not run Poser or any thing like it..I guess I am wrong?? The OP said she runs Poser and DS on it..so how can you do that using a touch screen?? I am confused needless to say LOL…

you don’t have to use the pen & touch screen option with windows 8, it still has a mouse and a keyboard.
though you quickly learn right clicking does not work the same as older versions,
and you still have to navigate it like a tablet with a mouse and a key board.
and like i said you still have the option of changing the metro style to the retro windows style using the desk top mode app. but you will find every time windows has a update you will be having to reset it
win 8 will make you learn short cut key stroke. fast. it was the really the only way i could use it at work.
using a mouse is more like using a external finger to drive your apps to navigate by which is awkward if your use to the old retro windows desk.  Windows 8 is clearly built with touch in mind and the navigation works well in that particular mode, I believe MS has geared win 8 to run like this because MS has added win 8 OS to its Microsoft’s Surface tablet, which shows off Windows 8 features as a design for Mobil not PC.  it will be great for kids and people who use tablets and smart phones .. not so good for those who need a pc to do true programming

Signature 

My Daz & Poser animations & art work
http://www.youtube.com/user/IvySummers1
My Art on Google
http://plus.google.com/+IvySummers

Posted: 30 October 2012 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 107 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  703
Joined  2003-10-09
digitell - 30 October 2012 05:03 PM

I was thinking that Windows 8 would only work on a touch screen computer..that is all I have seen of it when advertised on TV..people using the touch screen with it. Made me wonder how in the world could a graphics person use such a OS and it just could not run Poser or any thing like it..I guess I am wrong?? The OP said she runs Poser and DS on it..so how can you do that using a touch screen?? I am confused needless to say LOL…

I’ve finally got my Win8-Pro upgrading my Win7-Home machine.  To say that Win8 does have a “Desktop” mode is correct.  HOWEVER, I am going bonkers with the replacement “START” mechanism.  ARGHHHHH….  I never realized how much I love and rely upon the nice compact START list of applications with it’s collapsible sub-categories.  Everything you need right there in 6 or 8 square inches of real-estate. 

in Win8 once you get yourself into the “Desktop” mode it looks and behaves just like a real desktop except that the START button/orb is missing.  To get to the list of applications one used to find in the START button you have to swing the cursor all the way to the right end of the display and up or down to either the top or bottom corner to get a panel to slide onto the screen that lets you select the “SEARCH” icon magnifying glass) to bring up a full page big tile list of all the apps and the expanded sub-categories.  You can’t collapse the sub-categories (at least I can’t) so for people like me with a zillion installed applications I have a long horizontally scrolling list of apps that confuse your eye with pretty colored icons and you search forever scrolling around on a 23 inch screen trying find what you’re looking for.  At least they did make it easy to close the Search list and get back to the Desktop by pressing the ESC key.

I think Win8 could really really benefit from and be more accepted by, long time PC’ers if they would simply bring back the simple collapsing list START orb while in desktop mode.

I don’t use any smart phone or tablet,  I’ve never even held one in my hand, so all this full screen big icon stuff doesn’t do me any favors. 

Other than my objections noted above and the inherent confusion with any new interface, I find that Win8 appears to work,... except HOW DO YOU LOG OFF or TURN THE DAMN THING OFF?  Arghhhhhh….... :-(

Signature 

I’m sooo confused…  I’ve come to grasp a little of the nature of reality and the answer to life, the universe, and everything.  I even have an inkling as to who and what I am. Auuummmmm…
But please, please, who the hell are you?  And why are you trampling my roses?

Posted: 30 October 2012 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 108 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  203
Joined  2003-10-09
LeatherGryphon - 30 October 2012 06:04 PM

Other than my objections noted above and the inherent confusion with any new interface, I find that Win8 appears to work,... except HOW DO YOU LOG OFF or TURN THE DAMN THING OFF?  Arghhhhhh….... :-(

Mouse to the top right of the screen
move the mouse down the ‘charms’
click on Settings
click on Power and select from the list

or

if you like to use the Keyboard press the - Windows Key + i - to open the settings charm panel then use the tab or arrow keys and enter key to scroll through and make selections

or

Press the - Windows Key + r - and type -  shutdown -s -t 0   - then press enter to shut down
or type -  shutdown -r -t 0   - then press enter to restart

Posted: 30 October 2012 06:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 109 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
adzan - 30 October 2012 06:11 PM

click on Settings

or

if you like to use the Keyboard press the - Windows Key + i - to open the settings charm panel then use the tab or arrow keys and enter key to scroll through and make selections

or

Press the - Windows Key + r - and type -  shutdown -s -t 0   - then press enter to shut down

Or I could push the power button, or pull the plug! 8-o

But how do I “Switch User” or “Logoff”?  :-s

Signature 

I’m sooo confused…  I’ve come to grasp a little of the nature of reality and the answer to life, the universe, and everything.  I even have an inkling as to who and what I am. Auuummmmm…

Posted: 30 October 2012 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 110 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  169
Joined  2007-11-09

Thanks Mec4D for starting this thread & your screenshots. The “Metro” style looks too busy for my tastes as I have very few icons on my desktop. Anyhoot it’s good to see DS4 working in Win8. Any OS reinstall usually makes things work better so only time will tell how well apps on Win8 will keep running smoothly. I’m planning to get a new PC later next year, subject to available funds after a long overdue holiday. Haven’t had one in 6years. About the same time I got a mortgage loan. Coincidence maybe…not. smirk

Signature 

Eternity’s my home, the Universe my backyard, my mind is a playground, so let’s make it all art. tongue laugh
My little gallery: http://lbamagic.deviantart.com

Posted: 30 October 2012 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 111 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2407
Joined  2003-12-06

They’re actually called that?

I hope you realised you just confirmed my worst fears, growing all through this thread, that everyone at Microsoft involved in the Win8 project is totally bonkers. This isn’t an OS for a desktop PC where you install and run programs, it’s a phone/tablet OS stuffed full of apps. I’m definitely giving this one a miss, let’s see if MS come to their senses in time for Win9 development.

Signature 

Gone to Vegas to play poker. Back when I run out of clothes.—Your Muse.

Posted: 30 October 2012 09:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 112 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

Any OS that CODES a PICTURE Password (touch screen or not) just will not touch my system. Looks like a real desktop OS for Desktop users is going to be a thing of the past very soon. If I wanted Bell’s, Whistles and App’s I would have bought a freaking PAD not a PC.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 30 October 2012 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 113 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16

...Press the - Windows Key + r - and type -  shutdown -s -t 0   - then press enter to shut down

Evidently if you don’t like the graphical ‘pad’ style interface you can always opt for linux style command lines ;p

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 30 October 2012 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 114 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11177
Joined  2007-11-06
Taozen - 30 October 2012 01:53 AM

Maybe DS would run on a tablet, but I wouldn’t want to work with it on a screen less than 26”. Actually I find even a 26” monitor too small..

...I wouldn’t want to try to render a “heavy” scene considering the load it would place on the CPU with regards to heat generation. 

This is why I chose a slightly larger case with a lot of fans and an aftermarket cooler for the CPU in the workstation build.

Unless there has been a “revolution” in CPU design (which I have yet to hear of) that keeps it running cool even under extreme loads (such as rendering), excessive heat, particularly for prolonged periods, could shorten the devices lifespan.

Yes, the latest version of 3Delight is fast, as long as you don’t use heavy ray tracing, reflectivity, transmaps, AO, SSS, etc.  In a test run with raytraced shadows (ray depth set to 1) 3Delight slowed to an excruciating crawl and began to push CPU temps to unacceptable values..

I’m actually quite amazed that the old notebook is still going strong after all these years considering what I have put it through with all the rendering I’ve done.  Granted, I do use a passive cooling pad which does help but for handling the load over extended periods of time. Active cooling is still superior.  I don’t see that as a possibility for such a thin profile device.

——-

Back to the main topic.  The more I see of 8’s UI the more I dislike it. I find it gaudy and a pain to navigate. I like things simple and up front. XP is simple and straightforward from a user standpoint and it works quite well for my needs. So it may not launch Daz Studio as fast, but I’m not in a fast paced production environment, I’m doing this for fun.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 30 October 2012 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 115 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11177
Joined  2007-11-06

click on Settings

or

or

...a lot more clumsy than XP or WIn7.

I just go “Windows key” “u”, “u” (or “s” if I want to go on standby, “r” if I want to restart).  Much more “elegant”.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 30 October 2012 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 116 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  116
Joined  2006-05-25

I saw that the Windows 8 Pro upgrade was only $66 and since I have yet to solve my random blue screen crashes, I thought maybe a new and improved OS would help… so I bought it tonight. One of my best friends is absolutely crazy about this OS so I have high hopes. smile

For those here that have it, is there anything I should know relating to 3D work or anything really? (I use Poser Pro 2012, in case that matters.) My upgrade disc should be here by the end of the week. I’ve always adapted quickly to new technology so I’m not too worried about it.

I just recently got my laptop so it’s good for that $15 Windows 8 upgrade deal. I may jump on it if I like the OS on my desktop.

Signature 

~Lizzie P.
Visit Dream 9 Studios for art, graphic novels, and more.
My RDNA Store | My Renderosity Store
Facebook | Twitter | deviantART

Posted: 31 October 2012 05:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 117 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  203
Joined  2003-10-09
LeatherGryphon - 30 October 2012 06:49 PM

click on Settings

or

or

found a way to avoid all the above nonsense…

Click on the desktop and press Alt + F4
you are presented with a shut down box where you can shut down, switch user, sign out, sleep and restart…..

add users from the settings charm - then click on Change PC Settings - Users - Other users listed at the bottom - add user.
or from the control panel - user accounts - similar to windows 7

You can also switch users from the Start screen, page, thing,  Click on your user name at the top right and it will list other users you can switch too along with lock and sign out

Posted: 31 October 2012 06:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 118 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5912
Joined  2006-02-20
adzan - 31 October 2012 05:15 AM
LeatherGryphon - 30 October 2012 06:49 PM

click on Settings

or

or

found a way to avoid all the above nonsense…

Click on the desktop and press Alt + F4
you are presented with a shut down box where you can shut down, switch user, sign out, sleep and restart…..

add users from the settings charm - then click on Change PC Settings - Users - Other users listed at the bottom - add user.
or from the control panel - user accounts - similar to windows 7

You can also switch users from the Start screen, page, thing,  Click on your user name at the top right and it will list other users you can switch too along with lock and sign out

That all sounds like the Daz store and the loops you have to jump through ...
wink

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?
Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki: https://poserdazfreebies.orain.org

Posted: 31 October 2012 06:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 119 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14310
Joined  2003-10-09

in Win8 once you get yourself into the “Desktop” mode it looks and behaves just like a real desktop except that the START button/orb is missing.  To get to the list of applications one used to find in the START button you have to swing the cursor all the way to the right end of the display and up or down to either the top or bottom corner to get a panel to slide onto the screen that lets you select the “SEARCH” icon magnifying glass) to bring up a full page big tile list of all the apps and the expanded sub-categories.  You can’t collapse the sub-categories (at least I can’t) so for people like me with a zillion installed applications I have a long horizontally scrolling list of apps that confuse your eye with pretty colored icons and you search forever scrolling around on a 23 inch screen trying find what you’re looking for.  At least they did make it easy to close the Search list and get back to the Desktop by pressing the ESC key.

Typing will filter the list, as typing into the search box on the Windows 7 Start menu will. Apparently mind-reading is missing from the list of requirements on the Windows 8 box, since there is no indication that this will work in the interface as far as I know.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 31 October 2012 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 120 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Ah ha!  Found it!  To sign yourself off or switch user you go to the main page (whatever the hell it’s called) by pressing the “WindowsFlag” key, then you’ll see your login name and photo tile in the upper right corner.  Click (or right-click) on that tile and you get a short menu giving you options to “Lock”, or “Sign out”, or “Change account picture”.  You also have a list of the other user accounts on the machine that you can click on to switch to that user.  If other accounts are already logged-in the button has a 2nd line that lets you know.

I can already tell that I’m not going to advertise my services to train people on how to use this new OS.  Sure I could use the money but not bad enough to deal with re-training computer illiterates who have, after years of trying, finally gotten used to the relatively minor changes of Vista and Win7 and now are faced with building an airplane while falling off the cliff.  I’m just going to recommend that they not buy a new computer with Win8 yet.  Perhaps I’ll pick up a bunch of Win7 OEM install CDs to have on hand available to sell to people who really can’t get along with Win8.  I’ll answer simple questions about Win8 over the phone but I’m not going to get caught in the trap of training unsavvy users.  Been there done that, burned the T-shirt!

[after a couple of hours ]
Oops, found my first “it ain’t workin” feature. :-(  HomeGroups —-  and it seems I’m not alone.  There are lots of pitiful calls for help out there saying that their Win8 machine won’t connect to their Win7 HomeGroup machines.  I’ve followed many of the suggestions and I’m still out of luck.  When I try to connect I get some sort of message saying something similar to “A Homegroup is no longer detected...”  WTF?  Apparently it was seen a moment ago, wha hopp’n???

Now this isn’t a game changer for me.  I really don’t use it but I play with it now and then thinking that I’ll actually eventally get a customer that uses it or wants me to set it up for them.  Works fine among Win7 machines but I’ll be damned if I can get it to work with my Win8 machine.  (*boogers*) :-s

Signature 

8 of 14