1 of 14
WINDOWS 8 ?
Posted: 26 October 2012 08:29 PM   [ Ignore ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1808
Joined  2003-10-09

Hey Guys, just switched to WIN8 , love it
all programs working for me so much faster DS and the rest ..
Finally my desktop is clean and everything organized , I am used to my Android Tablet
and also love the APP for WIN8
for the limited time they have low cost upgrade to WIN8 Pro on the microsoft website
and I am about to upgrade also my older dual core laptop tomorrow
The Win8 Pro allow you to use the desktop the old way as it was in Win7
but I prefer the new way as it is so much easy to access all my stuff, renders and files

DS4.5 is working so much faster now , I guess the new upgrade installation made a good clean up in the system lol
no issues so far

now I wanna see DAZ3D App store for WIN8 , that would be great

Cath

Signature 

Just Released :The Aviatrix &  The Vampire Huntress
MEC4D PRODUCTS BY DAZ3D
MEC4D HOME

Posted: 26 October 2012 09:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1549
Joined  2010-02-14

Are there videos I can watch for the Windows 7 Desktop? I can’t find them anywhere.

Because I’m not going anywhere NEAR it unless I can retain that kind of functionality…

Signature 

“I’m sorry, I can’t hear you over the sound of how awesome I am!” ~ Brextor Ultimus

FORUM MEMBER POST RANKS
New Member = 0
Member = 25
Active Member = 250
Power Member = 1000
Addict = 2500

My Art Studio

Posted: 26 October 2012 10:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2407
Joined  2003-12-06
RCDeschene - 26 October 2012 09:31 PM

Because I’m not going anywhere NEAR it unless I can retain that kind of functionality…

<nod> I’ll add that I’m not going anywhere near it anyway. It’s all right for someone used to the way things are done on modern phones and tablets, but is that really a good idea for a full OS used in a desktop PC? All I ever see in the adverts and tech show programmes is how easy it is to whizz around a whole lot of blobby icons, just like on a phone screen. So what else does it do? And how much of the functionality is geared towards driving a touchscreen, like on a phone or tablet?

Nope, I’m giving Win8 a miss, just like I did Vista. Besides, I’ve only had Win7 for a couple of years now and I have no intention of upgrading — to me it’s “WinXP done right” and the new OS is, I’m afraid, little more than “pretty”.

Signature 

Gone to Vegas to play poker. Back when I run out of clothes.—Your Muse.

Posted: 26 October 2012 10:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

you can find a lot of youtube
the desktop APP is just as it was in WIN7
what was gone is the start button only
I love it more and more each moment , the best thing is that you can run the desktop on side with the APP
as for example I watch now my favorite show on the side while working on stuff , multi tasking smile
I was little afraid it will not work the way I would like but before the setup win8 will tell you exactly what programs or devices will works without problems and I got actually only one, my screen recorder only that need to be reinstall and I have a lot of softwares everything works just better and load so quick, even Poser with DOSON a lot better as before and the drag problem I had with genesis while posing is gone now .
Great improvements and I just love it !

Are there videos I can watch for the Windows 7 Desktop? I can’t find them anywhere.

Signature 

MEC4D PRODUCTS BY DAZ3D
MEC4D HOME

Posted: 26 October 2012 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

all you see in the adds is just the START screen and nothing else
it have a lot of new functionality and synchronizations load everything much faster from the start up to programs .
Definitely improved my machine , you can full control everything using pen or mouse , everything get nice organized and have own space
if you are multitasking it is sure for you , I have a lot of devices so the synchronization between them is an easy task now
but what most impressed me is the improved speed overall .

SpottedKitty - 26 October 2012 10:31 PM

<nod> I’ll add that I’m not going anywhere near it anyway. It’s all right for someone used to the way things are done on modern phones and tablets, but is that really a good idea for a full OS used in a desktop PC? All I ever see in the adverts and tech show programmes is how easy it is to whizz around a whole lot of blobby icons, just like on a phone screen. So what else does it do? And how much of the functionality is geared towards driving a touchscreen, like on a phone or tablet?

Nope, I’m giving Win8 a miss, just like I did Vista. Besides, I’ve only had Win7 for a couple of years now and I have no intention of upgrading — to me it’s “WinXP done right” and the new OS is, I’m afraid, little more than “pretty”.

Signature 

MEC4D PRODUCTS BY DAZ3D
MEC4D HOME

Posted: 27 October 2012 04:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2866
Joined  2004-04-14

I will reserve judgement until after I have a look at it in a Virtual machine and after a bunch of hacks are discovered for it.

Reading up on it I see that they decided to completely ignor those who have no desire to turn their PC into tablet.

I for one do not need my screen covered in “live icons” or anthing else for that matter.  BOth my PCs, one running Xubuntu Linux and the other XP Pro x64, have no icons on them.  Only excpetion for the Windows PC is my installed games.  I personally never had anything against the Start Menu.  I keep mine simple and effective.

Signature 

My DAZ3D Store
My Free Stuff
My Art @ DeviantART
Ships of the Line - MEGA THREAD
How to use the Poser Format Exporter - **Updated 2013-02-09**

Posted: 27 October 2012 04:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  753
Joined  2003-10-09
SpottedKitty - 26 October 2012 10:31 PM

It’s all right for someone used to the way things are done on modern phones and tablets, but is that really a good idea for a full OS used in a desktop PC?

I’ve been following Win 8 and from what I can see, this is MS making a last desperate effort to get into the Samsung/Apple territory - ie phones, where they’ve failed miserably. MS must feel enraged seeing Samsung sell 1/3 of the phones on the planet and make a fortune. LOL.

Of course, all the media hype so far has been on MS Surface, so we don’t hear much about the regular desktop side of Win 8. The problem is that for serious work, phones are tablets are crap, and MS don’t seem to realise that. The reasoning goes ‘Phones are trendy. We can make some money’ True, but the world will continue to use desktops are laptops for 95% of everyday work, so if MS abandon those users, they won’t be selling much. Already, most analysts are predicting that very few desktop users will upgrade to Win 8.

mac

Posted: 27 October 2012 04:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  753
Joined  2003-10-09
Mattymanx - 27 October 2012 04:10 AM

I for one do not need my screen covered in “live icons” or anthing else for that matter.  BOth my PCs, one running Xubuntu Linux and the other XP Pro x64, have no icons on them.  Only excpetion for the Windows PC is my installed games.  I personally never had anything against the Start Menu.  I keep mine simple and effective.

Yeah, I’m the same. I have a dual-boot XP 64/Win 7, using XP as default. I’ve never used use Win 7 since I got it, examined it closely, applied some cosmetic hacks, and decided I still hated it. (Auto-arrange in folders drives me up the wall! What a pain!).

I launch everything with CTRL-ALT+LETTER. No icons, and my Start menu has very few folders - I keep all programs in my Apps & Tools folders.

Bill Gates wouldn’t like me as a user. LOL.

mac

Posted: 27 October 2012 05:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14310
Joined  2003-10-09

I tried the Consumer Preview and didn’t like it - to the point of not even installing the Release preview. The people who like it seem to like it on phones or tablets, for which it may well be great, but Metro (as was) is dreadful on a monitor, especially a large monitor. I haven’t, as i threatened, gone out and bought an extra copy of Windows 7 ready for my next PC and I could probably live with W8, if need be, but it really doesn’t appear to offer much for regular desktop users.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 27 October 2012 05:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1264
Joined  2005-02-25

Any specs on the the memory cap in windows 8 is it still 16gig for normal Windows 8 and 16gig plus for Windows Pro. I’ll just get a whole new system when I upgrade next year. How’s the render speed any quicker?
Thanks for the info Mech!

Signature 

The Mind on the other side!
http://www.daz3d.com/shop/midnight_stories/

Posted: 27 October 2012 06:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

The 64-bit version of Windows 8 Pro supports up to 512 GB while the 64-bit version of Windows 8 (standard) supports up to 128 GB.
what I notices that all my applications that use OpenGL are just running so fast and smooth it maybe be the fresh installation and new drivers that boost my PC , and I tested all my 3D applications , especially Poser and DS improved so much with faster rendering and response but that can be thanks to the update , I had trouble posing in Poser when I used Genesis before and now it just move fast as in DS , I have 3 machines + tablet and they nice in synchronization now so not need duplicate files to install as they all share the important file , and I really like the win8 apps as I am app junky , can’t live without my Angry Birds lol
the windows explorer is new with additional tools and user friendly without the need for right click anymore , everywhere buttons with functions to make it touch friendly however all functions are working with pen,mouse and keyboard as well
when you finish with application just grab it and throw it out of the screen to close , on the right and left sides you have hidden tabs , right is for settings and control and the left show what apps are running, you can run many desktop programs and 1 win8 app at the same time on the screen also , but most important all my programs working smooth can’t complain , for $39 for the win8 pro , it is a lot of fun

midnight_stories - 27 October 2012 05:16 AM

Any specs on the the memory cap in windows 8 is it still 16gig for normal Windows 8 and 16gig plus for Windows Pro. I’ll just get a whole new system when I upgrade next year. How’s the render speed any quicker?
Thanks for the info Mech!

Signature 

MEC4D PRODUCTS BY DAZ3D
MEC4D HOME

Posted: 27 October 2012 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2004-08-11

I was looking over Win 8 Pro yesterday.  Glad it’s working so well for you Cath.  XO

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 27 October 2012 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  524
Joined  2003-10-09

This is the first positive post I read about Windows 8, all the others I’ve read compare it with Vista when it first came out and are extremely negative, most enterprises as usual stay clear off it.  In my experience I never had any problems with Vista, it worked real nice to me but I had a brand new computer at the time.  I saw a preview on youtube months ago and honestly what I saw I didn’t liked.  Plus there are peripherals that I use that I imagine might have trouble with the new OS.

Signature 

Render with muscle! SimonWM DAZ Store.
For Previews and Insight SimonWM Official Facebook Page.
Artist Page My Gallery at Deviant Art.
For Videos My Youtube Channel.

Posted: 27 October 2012 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1615
Joined  2012-01-04
SimonWM - 27 October 2012 09:26 AM

This is the first positive post I read about Windows 8, all the others I’ve read compare it with Vista when it first came out and are extremely negative, most enterprises as usual stay clear off it.  In my experience I never had any problems with Vista, it worked real nice to me but I had a brand new computer at the time.  I saw a preview on youtube months ago and honestly what I saw I didn’t liked.  Plus there are peripherals that I use that I imagine might have trouble with the new OS.

I purchased a new computer with Vista. It had nothing but problems from the start. As Microsoft did several updates it finally started to work the way I believe it was meant to, but by that time Windows 7 came out and I quickly switched to it. I love Windows 7 and hope I do not have to switch to 8. 7 still has a few things here and there, but overall it has been the best platform I’ve worked with. I have never worked with a Mac, so I have no say one way or the other. I also am no computer whiz, so you can take this as a grain of salt or for what it’s worth.

Signature 

Old Post Count: Maybe 3 or 4.
O/S: Windows 7x64
D/S: 4.6.0.18

Posted: 27 October 2012 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  977
Joined  2006-02-27

I have nothing positive to say about windows 8 or Microsoft Surface.

No start menu no thank you.

Posted: 27 October 2012 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14310
Joined  2003-10-09
SimonWM - 27 October 2012 09:26 AM

I’ve seen several positive comments in the press and from users - but mostly from people who have been using it on a tablet, where the touch controls work and where even the largest display doesn’t leave a vast distance between active points (unless it’s changed, right-clicking with a mouse in Metro apps always opens an icon bar along the bottom of the screen - first few times I right-clicked on something I thought it wasn’t working at all as I hadn’t looked at the foot of the screen).

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

1 of 14