Digital Art Zone

7 of 8
ot: Batten down the hatches East Coasters - hybrid sandy winter storm
Posted: 06 November 2012 07:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 91 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2005-06-02

Hello Sandy Survivors,

Before the storm I was joking about buying ramen noodles and seltzer water. Well it was true that I did buy it but I didn’t think I’d even need it. I figured Sandy would be no worse than Irene. Well I can say I’ve learned my lesson abut hurricanes. This storm was horrifying. My electricity went out during the storm and stayed off until yesterday afternoon. Cell phones were out for days and cable service is only back today. Luckily I had candles, flashlights with batteries, and a little transistor radio that I used to keep on my desk at work which was a lifeline in the darkness.  There are still people without power, hot water, and heat. So it may be a while before people are able to be back on the forums.

Nobody was expecting this to be so bad. I don’t know anybody who took the new reports seriously. I had no cash, no water, no non perishable foods. My power has never been out before except for the great blackout of 2003 and even then they fixed it quickly. All my candles were christmas scented which got annoying quickly. What few stores that were open after the storm only took cash. Then there was the gas shortage. Never did I think I’d see gas lines in my lifetime.

I totally respect mother nature and what she can do. To see large old trees uprooted and destroyed is a testament to what the wind can do. During the storm I was so afraid of the wind, my house was shaking, telephone pole right in front of my window was swaying and I was sitting in the dark watching flashes of light outside as transformers exploded in the distance. It was crazy. But beside losing all food in the freezer and fridge I didn’t suffer any damage. I know some people lost everything. When the power finally came back on I was dancing and celebrating and then a few minutes later they reported a huge fire a block away from me, they think started by faulty wiring when the power came back on. Whatever it was, it was sobering because someone lost their life. This whole storm and aftermath was very bad. I think the people who live on the east coast have to be prepared for super storms from now on and learn from super storm Sandy.

Now I gotta go try to vote!

Signature 

confused is this a smiley or a scary?

Posted: 06 November 2012 07:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 92 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10618
Joined  2005-10-07

got the Power

deh deh deh

i took a shower

yeah yeah

‘lectricity back on!!!

omg, 6 days with no electricity.  lost power Monday around 4:00, came back on Sunday night.

no internet at home.  but i’m grateful for hot food and hot coffee.  i’ll never under appreciate a cup of hot oatmeal again.

lamest Halloween ever.  wahhhh

no trees hit the house.  house up the block, tree crashed into her son’s bedroom.  everyone is okay.  she has a for sale sign up on her house already.  think they were shook up.

made it to work, haz to have hope the bus home is gonna show up.

Signature 

°  °   °   °   °   °
DSP4.6.2.118 Valentina Luxus ManualD/L C85P PP12 W3d99.5

Posted: 06 November 2012 08:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 93 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

YEA! So glad to hear from you two. Two less to worry over, still a couple but it’s getting better every day now.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 06 November 2012 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 94 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-07

here’s a picture from my cellphone camera, day after Sandy.

power line caught this tree before it could block the street.

Image Attachments
celph-tree.jpg
 Signature 

°  °   °   °   °   °

Posted: 06 November 2012 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 95 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-07-16

Good to hear from both of you!! 
I’m very glad neither of you were harmed or had to resort to cannibalism (I’m right about that, I hope…)... (let me tell you- cannibalism is a hard road to come back from…. or… so I hear).... (Really).
I was just reading back over the earlier posts (before I realized there was a 7th page to this thread) and I noticed that romancefantasy never checked back… (for some reason I thought you had)... I was just about to mention it here when I found the 7th page and saw that the two “missing” forumites (that I’m aware of) have returned…  Thats great news!
Stay safe and warm and if you can, you might want to stock up on some more supplies (and non-holiday scented candles) today, just in case Thursday’s storm makes things worse and power goes out again… the utility companies in the tristate area are not sounding too confident in their grids… LIPA is even saying to expect more delays and additional outages.
So far the outlook is a coastal flood watch for NY,NJ and Conn… Storm surge of 3-5 ft and waves around 8-12 ft…. with a high wind watch in effect for the tristate area with expected sustained winds of 30-45 mph and gusts up to 60+ mph. A Rampaging Radioactive Giant Prehistoric Reptile Awakened From The Ocean’s Depths By The Recent Storms warning has been issued for Long Island City- Queens, Flatbush- Brooklyn and Lake Ronkonkoma- Long Island.
I’m not sure if I interpreted that last one correctly, but I just went with it anyway… I chose to leave out the Venomous Mutated Flying Horseshoe Crab Alert that I’m pretty sure FOX News mentioned… Gretchen Carlson sometimes says strange things, so I figured I’d leave it out for now.
Okay I made the last one up… but I’m pretty sure if I did call FOX up and report it, Gretchen would definitely believe it.
Well, anyway… Stay safe everyone…
Bye!

Signature 

VISIT MY ShareCG FREEBIE GALLERY

Posted: 06 November 2012 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 96 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-07

waves to lordvi

7th post of the 7th page?  tee hee.  oh, i think it’s only 6th post.

more stormy weathers? nooo!  i’m barely used to hot food again, the decadence -  my stomach shrunk.

did someone release the Krakken?

Signature 

°  °   °   °   °   °

Posted: 06 November 2012 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 97 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2903
Joined  2004-10-25
Misty Whisky - 06 November 2012 11:12 AM

waves to lordvi

more stormy weathers? nooo!  i’m barely used to hot food again, the decadence -  my stomach shrunk.

YAY!!!  Good to see you posting again Misty, and you too romancefantasy.  I got lucky with Sandy, and just hoping that this Nor’easter coming tomorrow turns out a lot weaker than they’re forecasting.  Stay safe everyone!!

Signature 

OK . . . Where’s my chocolate?     Post Count —> 3,263 and growing!     Visit my Renderosity Gallery

It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts ~ John Wooden

Posted: 07 November 2012 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 98 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-07
Miss B - 06 November 2012 01:07 PM
Misty Whisky - 06 November 2012 11:12 AM

waves to lordvi

YAY!!!  Good to see you posting again Misty, and you too romancefantasy.  I got lucky with Sandy, and just hoping that this Nor’easter coming tomorrow turns out a lot weaker than they’re forecasting.  Stay safe everyone!!

Thanks!

it’s raining sideways outside right now.  news is saying it’s weakening.  smile

Signature 

°  °   °   °   °   °

Posted: 07 November 2012 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 99 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-07-16

Yeah, snow-raining sideways in Bayshore… snaining? raiowing? Its nasty either way. Someone we know who just got power back the other day just told my wife that they lost it again. Pfft!  My wife’s parents who have been living here since last monday STILL don’t have power… Every time a big gust blows I half expect the lights to go out…. it’s like walking on thin ice… I keep waiting for the CRACK!!

Signature 

Posted: 07 November 2012 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 100 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-07

you’re in Bayshore?  I’m in Bohemia at the moment.  Johnson Ave.

Signature 

°  °   °   °   °   °

Posted: 07 November 2012 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 101 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13
lordvicore - 07 November 2012 12:59 PM

Yeah, snow-raining sideways in Bayshore… snaining? raiowing? Its nasty either way.

I call that ‘slushing’...because if it accumulates, then that’s what you get, several inches of ready-made slush.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 07 November 2012 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 102 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15660
Joined  2003-10-09

In the UK we call it sleet.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        August Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 07 November 2012 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 103 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-07
mjc1016 - 07 November 2012 02:57 PM
lordvicore - 07 November 2012 12:59 PM

Yeah, snow-raining sideways in Bayshore… snaining? raiowing? Its nasty either way.

I call that ‘slushing’...because if it accumulates, then that’s what you get, several inches of ready-made slush.

snow cones! 

it’s sleeting out nao. 

yayy, someone at work is gonna drive me home so i don’t have to wait at the bus stop. 

i was looking out the door and feeling ready to cry just thinkin about it.

Signature 

°  °   °   °   °   °

Posted: 07 November 2012 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 104 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  658
Joined  2006-09-30
chohole - 07 November 2012 03:01 PM

I just call it Sheep Fish-Poop (Ewe Bass-Turd!).

Signature 

MOO!

Posted: 07 November 2012 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 105 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-07-16
Sockratease - 07 November 2012 03:27 PM
chohole - 07 November 2012 03:01 PM

I just call it Sheep Fish-Poop (Ewe Bass-Turd!).

You know, I think you are the only other person I’ve heard use the bass-turd reference… For years every time someone says “What a bastard”(usually pronounced bass-turd), I’ll say something like “I dunno, he seems like more of a trout turd to me…” nobody ever gets that.

Signature 

7 of 8