Digital Art Zone

3 of 8
ot: Batten down the hatches East Coasters - hybrid sandy winter storm
Posted: 28 October 2012 06:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  530
Joined  2007-10-30
Kyoto Kid - 27 October 2012 04:30 AM

...cinematic cliche’s aside, sounds like it could be the “perfect storm”.

Nope; it’s just about Halloween and it is ‘Frankenstorm’ !

Posted: 28 October 2012 06:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12028
Joined  2005-10-07

latest advisory http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT3+shtml/281204.shtml
i hope they’ve fixed that cascading stuff by now, if the power goes out.

it’s funky gray sky, at the moment the wind outside feels refreshing.

Signature 

Ð tongue laugh ° ° ° ° ° ö Ø

Posted: 28 October 2012 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2005-06-02

I don’t have any hatches to batten down I believe. But like everyone else when a storm is brewing I ran out to buy last minute supplies this morning. No batteries and no water in my local store. I managed to get a pack double D and double A batteries so I hope my electricity stays on. If it is like Irene I should be fine and dandy but you never know. Just in case I got my ramen noodles and seltzer though. Hope I don’t have to eat sparkling noodles. cheese

I hope everyone in Sandy’s path stays safe.

Signature 

confused is this a smiley or a scary?

Posted: 28 October 2012 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2004-03-28

About as ready as I can be.

And yeah, in the path. We are essentially looking at 2 Storms, A cold front from the north and a Full moon.

It’s going to make the damages from the 1991 “Perfect Storm” look like pocket change.

Posted: 28 October 2012 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12490
Joined  2007-11-06

....even out here in the “other” Portland, some of us will be feeling the storm’s effect.  One of my company’s primary clients (who I am the account manager for)  is just outside of Philly which is pretty much in the bullseye of the storm’s track.  To make matters worse, it is not only the end of the month (accounting wise) but we have our annual inventory audit for this same client coming up in just over a week

Been listening to the football match in Philly on the radio and they are already feeling effect of the storm’s leading edge there.

..can’t type or think today…need more tea.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 28 October 2012 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2004-03-28

As of 4:45pm, the rain has begin in the South Coast Region Massachusetts.

Candles and Lantern Ready, Cellphone charged…

Posted: 28 October 2012 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

..as I understand, the diameter of this storm’s rain/wind effects is something like 500 miles. 

This storm is expected to have a huge impact on the eastern US as there are high wave warnings (22’- 25’) as far away as the southern part of Lake Michigan.

Signature 

Posted: 28 October 2012 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4524
Joined  2007-09-13
Kyoto Kid - 28 October 2012 04:00 PM

..as I understand, the diameter of this storm’s rain/wind effects is something like 500 miles. 

This storm is expected to have a huge impact on the eastern US as there are high wave warnings (22’- 25’) as far away as the southern part of Lake Michigan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgI8bta-7aw

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 28 October 2012 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...very familiar with the story as I was living in North Central Wisconsin when it happened.  (unfortunately my connectivity is really sucky today, keeps dropping out so streaming anything is pretty much an exercise in futility).

Interestingly, Lake Superior is the only lake that will not be affected.

...and “‘ol Michigan” will be more in a full “boil”.

Just checked a couple of the news sites in Philly where my client is based and it sounds like they are hunkering down until this is over,  SEPTA, (Philly’s transit service), PATCO Rail, and even Amtrak are suspending all service until at least Tuesday (even then “as soon as conditions allow”).

The NWS which has been tracking Sandy says that many areas will experience some of the lowest pressures in history as the storm passes through.

Almost wondering if I might be able to take the day off as all weekend I have been feeling more and more “under the weather” myself.

Signature 

Posted: 28 October 2012 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  707
Joined  2008-07-16

7:30 EST and the wind is starting to really pick up in the south shore of Long Island… They have made a mandatory evacuation of Fire Island across the Great south bay from where I am… but they evacuate that place all the time. I’m just hoping we don’t loose power.  I went down by the water earlier and it didn’t seem so bad…  then I passed by the trailer park community built on the waterfront… WHY in god’s name would anyone do that?... why don’t you just place an ammo dump and a fireworks factory on either side too, just for added effect.
I suppose we don’t get enough tornados so they had to build it somewhere equally dangerous.
It was also refreshing to see all the people in my neighborhood raking leaves pruning shrubs and placing the bags and bundles of branches out in front of their homes so the wind will have lots of stuff to throw around.
It is amazing to see how cleaned out most of the stores were for items like bottled water, bread, soup and ice cream….  especially the ice cream… it’s often an overlooked necessity in a hurricane or zombie outbreak.
Well, till later… good luck East Coasters.

Edited to add… they are evacuating parts of the south side of my town closest to the water…. luckily I’m above the projected flood lines.

Signature 

VISIT MY ShareCG FREEBIE GALLERY

Posted: 28 October 2012 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12028
Joined  2005-10-07

i forgot to pick up ice cream, but remembered the beer.

drafty windows, brrr

Signature 

Ð tongue laugh ° ° ° ° ° ö Ø

Posted: 28 October 2012 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06
Misty Whisky - 28 October 2012 06:07 PM

i forgot to pick up ice cream, but remembered the beer.

drafty windows, brrr

....mmmm beer floats….

Actually one of the local craft Brewers here does have a Beer Float as well as well a Beer Shake on the menu, both made with their thick & creamy Terminator™ Stout.  I’ve had both and they are mighty tasty.

Oh, and I agree, Ice Cream is one of the most important survival foods, not only as it has a pleasurable and soothing effect, but if it weren’t eaten before the power went out, it would all just melt.  So it is as much for the survival for the ice cream so it can serve it’s most important purpose.

...did that make sense? cheese

Signature 

Posted: 28 October 2012 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  928
Joined  2012-02-03

This morning I got an email from my ISP with a link I can go to for information in case we lose power. Of course, if we lose electricity, I won’t be able to turn the computer on, but I appreciated the thought. (I know I can check things on my smartphone, but the email still seemed a bit silly.)

Posted: 28 October 2012 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  928
Joined  2012-02-03
romancefantasy - 28 October 2012 12:21 PM

I don’t have any hatches to batten down I believe. But like everyone else when a storm is brewing I ran out to buy last minute supplies this morning. No batteries and no water in my local store. I managed to get a pack double D and double A batteries so I hope my electricity stays on. If it is like Irene I should be fine and dandy but you never know. Just in case I got my ramen noodles and seltzer though. Hope I don’t have to eat sparkling noodles. cheese

I hope everyone in Sandy’s path stays safe.

I had to go to the grocery store anyway (we needed a lot of things), but it was a LOT more crowded than usual. I figure if we lose power, we’ll have to cook outside on the charcoal grill. We have a gas oven, but neither the ignitor nor the gas safety valve will work without electricity. I think we’ll manage. There’s enough leftovers to tide us over if we really need them.

Posted: 28 October 2012 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2036
Joined  2011-07-31

All of you in the path, stay safe and dry.

Signature 

AtticAnne in Austin TX

3 of 8