Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Recommendations for current/classic real-world or realistic fictional weapons/firearms sets?
Posted: 24 October 2012 07:45 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  252
Joined  2012-10-05

I’m looking for current or classic real-world (modern or recent historical, dating back to World War II/1950’s) weapons, or realistic fictional weapons of the type you’d see in spy movies/TV shows (classic, such as James Bond/Man from U.N.C.L.E., or modern-day) or war/thriller movies. For example, I’d love to find:

- the M-16/M-4 series
- the AK-47/AK-74 series
- Uzi or similar modern/recent classic submachine guns
- machine guns such as the M-60
- rocket-propelled grenades or antitank weapons such as the Soviet/Russian RPG series or the LAW/TOW
- pistols, modern or classic (e.g., Glock/Beretta for modern or Colt M1911/Luger/Walther P-38 for classic)
- attachments for pistols/rifles such as silencers, laser sights, grenade launchers, etc.

I’m having difficulty finding the kind of stuff I want in the Daz shop (or Renderosity); the great majority of weapons sets I’ve found so far seem to be fantasy/SF/steampunk. I do have the Firearm Set but it’s really pretty bland and generic and I want to use more realistic weapons in my renders. Any ideas?

Posted: 24 October 2012 09:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  325
Joined  2003-10-09

has an extensive collection of well-modeled modern weapons. They aren’t cheap, but if you sign up for their newsletter, they often offer a 30%-off (or better) coupon during the last few days of the month.

Signature 

http://bytescapes.com/            Bryce/Carrara/Reality galleries and resources

Posted: 24 October 2012 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  142
Joined  2008-11-04
joea64 - 24 October 2012 07:45 AM

I’m looking for current or classic real-world (modern or recent historical, dating back to World War II/1950’s) weapons, or realistic fictional weapons of the type you’d see in spy movies/TV shows (classic, such as James Bond/Man from U.N.C.L.E., or modern-day) or war/thriller movies. For example, I’d love to find:

- the M-16/M-4 series
- the AK-47/AK-74 series
- Uzi or similar modern/recent classic submachine guns
- machine guns such as the M-60
- rocket-propelled grenades or antitank weapons such as the Soviet/Russian RPG series or the LAW/TOW
- pistols, modern or classic (e.g., Glock/Beretta for modern or Colt M1911/Luger/Walther P-38 for classic)
- attachments for pistols/rifles such as silencers, laser sights, grenade launchers, etc.

I’m having difficulty finding the kind of stuff I want in the Daz shop (or Renderosity); the great majority of weapons sets I’ve found so far seem to be fantasy/SF/steampunk. I do have the Firearm Set but it’s really pretty bland and generic and I want to use more realistic weapons in my renders. Any ideas?

What you gonna do with all those weapons??  We’re gonna keep an eye on you…. smile

Signature 

“We probably wouldn’t worry about what people think of us if we could know how seldom they do.”
Mark Twain

Posted: 24 October 2012 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15646
Joined  2003-10-09

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/the-gun-by-mock/30228

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        August Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 24 October 2012 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-05
chohole - 24 October 2012 10:54 AM

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/the-gun-by-mock/30228

That one’s great. Does it work in Daz Studio?  (I should have mentioned that, if I didn’t before.)

Posted: 24 October 2012 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15646
Joined  2003-10-09

It’s quite an old model, he mentions Poser 4, so it isn’t going to have any fancy node based textures, which is the main problem normally.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        August Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 24 October 2012 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

OnTarget3D has some nice ones…both free and paid items.

http://www.ontarget3d.com/site/

Chris Schell has some nice items…but mostly ‘big’ stuff (ships, airfields…)

http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=theschell

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 24 October 2012 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-05
mjc1016 - 24 October 2012 02:30 PM

OnTarget3D has some nice ones…both free and paid items.

http://www.ontarget3d.com/site/

Chris Schell has some nice items…but mostly ‘big’ stuff (ships, airfields…)

http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=theschell

Got a couple of items from OnTarget3D, including the “generic” special-ops weapon and the small-arms poses. I really want the four Assault Weapons sets, but they’re rather expensive. :\

Posted: 24 October 2012 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  357
Joined  2004-04-07

have you looked at the dystopia fire arms pack here at DAZ?

its currently free…

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/dystopian-weapon-cache-1

Signature 

regards
prixat

Posted: 24 October 2012 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-05
prixat - 24 October 2012 04:29 PM

have you looked at the dystopia fire arms pack here at DAZ?

its currently free…

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/dystopian-weapon-cache-1

Yes, I have that already. It’s a bit overly futuristic for my purposes though; as I said in the original message, I’m looking for current or recent classic (World War II or after) pistols, rifles and such.

Posted: 25 October 2012 01:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1011
Joined  2007-04-08

The Gun sets that Chohole pointed out work fine in DS,  I think there are 4 packs now, but I only have the first because I too was looking for guns a while ago and only had a couple that came with outfits.  I don’t regret buying that set, and it’s on sale at the mo.

Signature 

You’re never too old for metaballs!  ~Michael Frank

Posted: 25 October 2012 05:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-05
BlumBlumShub - 25 October 2012 01:11 AM

The Gun sets that Chohole pointed out work fine in DS,  I think there are 4 packs now, but I only have the first because I too was looking for guns a while ago and only had a couple that came with outfits.  I don’t regret buying that set, and it’s on sale at the mo.

OK. The first and possibly the third set seem to be the best fit to my needs; second and fourth have a more science-fictional air than what I’m looking for at the moment. I wish those Panko sets would go on sale; they’re absolutely terrific. (From his bio at OnTarget3D, he comes by his knowledge first-hand, having been in the Greek Parachute Regiment!)

Posted: 30 October 2012 05:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  357
Joined  2004-04-07

I found some more at:

http://www.adh3d.com/weapons.html

some WWII stuff

Signature 

regards
prixat

Posted: 30 October 2012 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2902
Joined  2004-10-25

The Gun sets that Chohole pointed out work fine in DS,  I think there are 4 packs now.

I was JUST going to post about the other 3 sets, but you beat me to it.  Just click the Editorial Tab on that product page as Mock linked thumbnails to sets 2, 3 and 4.  Ooops, seems that set number 4 is no longer available.  long face

Nice find Cho, thanks for the link.  wink  I’m a firm believe you can never have too many weapons. cheese

Signature 

OK . . . Where’s my chocolate?     Post Count —> 3,263 and growing!     Visit my Renderosity Gallery

It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts ~ John Wooden

Posted: 30 October 2012 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-05
Miss B - 30 October 2012 12:08 PM

The Gun sets that Chohole pointed out work fine in DS,  I think there are 4 packs now.

I was JUST going to post about the other 3 sets, but you beat me to it.  Just click the Editorial Tab on that product page as Mock linked thumbnails to sets 2, 3 and 4.  Ooops, seems that set number 4 is no longer available.  long face

Nice find Cho, thanks for the link.  wink  I’m a firm believe you can never have too many weapons. cheese

cheese No operation ever failed because you were overpowered weapon-wise. Actually, right now I’m working on a series of swordfighting renders using a free rapier set I found on - I think - ShareCG. I spent six hours today working on a huge render (16 figures!) - well, I didn’t have anything much to do because of Sandy - so that’s how I spent my afternoon. The thing isn’t ready for primetime yet, however; I need to address issues with pokethrough and hair arrangement, and also the pictures I did at the resolution I originally switched pixelized the backdrop something awful, so I have got to try lower resolutions until I get a good balance.

Posted: 31 October 2012 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-05

Back to firearms - isn’t there ANY good (and realistic, not science-fictional-looking) pistol set with silencer out there that’s free or low-cost? I’ve found several free pistol models on ShareCG and elsewhere, but none of them appears to have a silencer or suppressor. (The Pistol A1 model on ShareCG doesn’t really count for my purposes because, to my way of thinking at least, it doesn’t look too much like a “real” moderrn or classic pistol. Yeah, I’m being picky. raspberry )

1 of 2