Warning to live in 1950’s not for wimps
Posted: 26 October 2012 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  898
Joined  2008-11-01
LycanthropeX - 26 October 2012 04:13 PM
Murgatroyd - 25 October 2012 07:41 PM
JasmineSkunk - 25 October 2012 04:29 PM

OK…first time this thought occurred to be was one day when she and I were looking out at the front yard. It was spring, dandelions were sprouting all over the place… and she says, ” Oh! The dandelions are just dreadful! I wish they never had banned DDT! That stuff actually worked. You didn’t have all this mess all over your yard. I’ll tell you, back then, you got your money’s worth when you bought something. Things did what they were supposed to do!”

She was wrong in any case.  DDT wouldn’t have done a thing to those dandelions - it’s an insecticide, not an herbicide.

Use Agent Orange on the dandelions, that’s a good herbicide

Wow… Agent orange…

I actually have a (semi) personal story about Agent Orange… My Uncle (who had been in Viet Nam) and my Aunt had a baby when I was like 7 yrs old. She seemed perfectly normal when she was a baby, but as she grew up, it was discovered that she had some unknown nerve defect that was slowly crippling her. Apparently, it was determined that it’s cause was the Agent Orange my uncle had been exposed to… no cure… she will suffer until this kills her.

Posted: 26 October 2012 08:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  898
Joined  2008-11-01

You know…the worse part??

Chemistry IS cool.

Chemistry is interesting. Secrets of the universe and all that jazz…

Just wish we hadn’t used it’s secrets so poorly….

Posted: 26 October 2012 08:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  155
Joined  2004-05-21
IceScribe - 26 October 2012 05:12 PM

Unlike the 1950s casual gals models sold here, it was a big no-no to let one’s slip show. “Your slip is showing” was said scornfully to anyone who was walking around with even the bit of lace showing. Ammonia -reeking Toni home permanents designed to force straight hair into a helmet of proper hair-do are not missed. The 60’s made straight hair fashionable YAY! Ditched the hideous cotton pointy bra and garter belts that school required for proper “foundations” and the oxford shoes, and the pointy glasses. None of this is missed at all! All kinds of authorities could tell you what to wear or not wear and how your hair should be coifed.

In grammar school we were shown a film called “The Sea Around Us” by Rachel Carson also of Silent Spring. It predicted global warming and melting of the ice packs, rising seas in low-situated populated areas.

What I really do not miss most of all is that everybody smoked everywhere. It was a sign of being an adult. Nicotine was still used as a highly effective insecticide. People knew that, soaked their butts in water and put it into the “Flit Gun”. Now there’s a 3d model to make!

The Flit Gun was a can with a screw top lid and nozzle and a long tube that had a pneumatic pump. Pump few times, and then a fine mist of poison could cover aphids or whatever. Green arsenic was also used for gardening and wood preservation.  The Flit gun was a fixture at most homes. It had a very distinctive sound.

My Da used to say “There’s snow on the mountains” instead of “Your slip is showing.”

And flit guns!  smile  I loved flit guns - my grandmother used to have a couple and any pesky insect needed to “Beware” when she had one of them in her hands.

Posted: 27 October 2012 04:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16390
Joined  2003-10-09
s l f - 26 October 2012 08:42 PM

[

My Da used to say “There’s snow on the mountains” instead of “Your slip is showing.”

And flit guns!  smile  I loved flit guns - my grandmother used to have a couple and any pesky insect needed to “Beware” when she had one of them in her hands.

It was “Charlie’s dead over here if ones slip was showing,  and Sticky fly papers were more common for us than Flit guns. Very decorative lol

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        October Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 27 October 2012 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  280
Joined  2009-08-18

Oh you all reminded me we did have a less rude way about hanging slips, “It’s snowing down south”,  LOL!

Isn’t it weird the precoccupation on both sides of the Atlantic with the propriety of a bit of hidden cloth?

Here I have attempted to recreate a flit gun -warning not historically accurate! Also my modeling skills are sketchy, and I could not get the Flit! Label to mask correctly on the can. I think the sound of the areosoled mist was kind of like flit-flit with each pump. An old advertisement would go “Hen-rrry! Get the Filt Gun!”.

As for fly paper,  oh yes, the “green” way back then. That is still available in the little rolls.  Ack! I’m not up for modelling that!

Image Attachments
FLIT2.jpg
 Signature 

See my gallery http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/?q=IceScribe&x=14&y=10

Posted: 27 October 2012 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1627
Joined  2009-08-08

>Isn’t it weird the precoccupation on both sides of the Atlantic with the propriety of a bit of hidden cloth?<

Gives a bit of additional context to early Madona with her wearing of underwear as outerwear.  Essentially, there was all of this various specialized underwear which was necessary for the overall “look”—but heaven forfend that anyone should actually *see* it. Bra or slip straps being visible when wearing sleeveless tops was another mortifying no-no.

Posted: 27 October 2012 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  271
Joined  2005-08-20
IceScribe - 27 October 2012 12:26 PM

Isn’t it weird the precoccupation on both sides of the Atlantic with the propriety of a bit of hidden cloth?

Not really. Trying to uncover a hidden secret is a fairly common obsession.

But actually publicly displaying something supposedly secret on the other hand is a big no-no.

Absolutely typical human behaviour.

Signature 

*Sigh* Window->Tabs->Tool Settings->Draw Style->Manipulation: Off
Yeah. It’s like that.

Posted: 27 October 2012 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2003-10-09

You are correct Lordvicore
I was born at the end of the 50’s- there were still a few giant Ants and Tarantulas left in the 60’s/ Luckily, the MEN in BLACk did away with most of them. I wonder if a few survived in remote areas.
In the late 70’s everyone was focused on Stayin’ Alive!

lordvicore - 24 October 2012 08:10 PM

Let us not forget the giant prehistoric reptiles, tarantulas, ants and other assorted giant fire breathing radioactive mutant creatures that plagued our major cities back then. Those were crazy times… not really as crazy as the 70s with all that Boogie Fever killing everyone, or the 80s with… whatever it was that caused people to dress that way back then, but yeah, the 50s were rough.

Nice cars though…

4 of 4