Digital Art Zone

2 of 3
Virtual New Orleans ... lookin for a 3D Big Easy
Posted: 24 October 2012 07:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2010-12-13

RKane, I know what you mean. Used to live there myself. Nothing else like it anywhere. Note that most of the old brick buildings are no more than 2 stories tall. Wood ones too. There is an above-ground cemetery model somewhere in the 3d-verse. From a distance, wrought iron railings could be faked with transmaps applied to simple primitives. Won’t work close up, tho. Still need buildings with 2nd floor balconies, which probably don’t exist. It is surprising how little there is available, given the lore.

Signature 

Daz Gallery
DA Gallery
Old post count 1725 (seems lame compared to some)

Posted: 24 October 2012 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1155
Joined  2005-07-29

Crap… I don’t have Carrarra.

What is the file format of the files?

Signature 

<End of transmission from Oz>
TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis/G2F/G2M Full Body Morph for DAZ Studio Pro 4.6 by RKane_1
TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis Partial Body Morph in DAZ Studio Pro 4 Using the DForm Tool by RKane_1
TUTORIAL - Applying Shaders by RKane_1 (as stolen blatantly from Jaderail)

Posted: 25 October 2012 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-07-29
Slimer_J_Spud - 24 October 2012 07:15 PM

RKane, I know what you mean. Used to live there myself. Nothing else like it anywhere. Note that most of the old brick buildings are no more than 2 stories tall. Wood ones too. There is an above-ground cemetery model somewhere in the 3d-verse. From a distance, wrought iron railings could be faked with transmaps applied to simple primitives. Won’t work close up, tho. Still need buildings with 2nd floor balconies, which probably don’t exist. It is surprising how little there is available, given the lore.

Agreed. New Orleans has so much history, SO many legends and ghost stories, and such a rich culture; I am amazed more 3D work has not been done on it.

I need stuff for a project I was thinking about doing but man, I am sure it would sell if it was created and put up for sale.

Signature 

TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis/G2F/G2M Full Body Morph for DAZ Studio Pro 4.6 by RKane_1
TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis Partial Body Morph in DAZ Studio Pro 4 Using the DForm Tool by RKane_1

Posted: 25 October 2012 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-12-13

One of the legends about Marie Laveau is that she would dress one of her daughters the same as herself and they would go to different places so “Marie Laveau” could be seen in 2 places at once. She is believed to be interred in the St. Louis Cemetery #1. One of the spookiest places on earth has to be the New Orleans cemeteries at night. Naturally, night tours are offered…

Signature 

Daz Gallery
DA Gallery

Posted: 25 October 2012 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1433
Joined  2009-08-08

The cemetary set is Cypress Grove I think it’s by Ant Farm.

It is odd that there aren’t more New Orleans style sets out there. I’d expect that sort of thing at maybe Mirye, or one of those markets.

Posted: 25 October 2012 04:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-07-29
JOdel - 25 October 2012 03:44 PM

The cemetary set is Cypress Grove I think it’s by Ant Farm.

It is odd that there aren’t more New Orleans style sets out there. I’d expect that sort of thing at maybe Mirye, or one of those markets.

I KNOW! Right? You’d think with all the Goth pics out there “VAMPIRE MECCA”  would be high on the list.

wink

Signature 

Posted: 25 October 2012 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-12-13

This item could almost pass for the Court of Two Sisters:
http://www.daz3d.com/shop/environments-props/cityscapes-buildings/spanish-rose-chalet-de-sevilla

I think the other option, if you really want an authentic view of Bourbon Street or Jackson Square, is to use photos of the actual locations along with the pwCatch utility to integrate 3d renders with photo backdrops. I just picked that item up on sale cheep! Have not tried it yet.
http://www.daz3d.com/shop/pwcatch

Edit:
Some of Faveral’s stuff looks pretty close:
http://www.daz3d.com/shop/faveral
http://www.daz3d.com/shop/le-village-bundle

Signature 

Daz Gallery
DA Gallery

Posted: 25 October 2012 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1041
Joined  2010-11-30

Found these:

House model free.

http://www.123dapp.com/123C-3D-Model/French-Quarter-Building/591932

Model of the city in various formats.

http://www.3dcadbrowser.com/preview.aspx?modelcode=25334

Still looking.  Haven’t had much time to be online lately.

Interesting note the supposed vampire legends and junk you’ll hear if you do the Vampire Tour were created by the people doing the tour.  Skeptical Inquirer had a good article that mentioned that I believe a year ago, and when my friend’s wife was researching her book on Louisiana Ghosts she mentioned the same thing to me and pointed out specific examples.

If you do need to get Carrara you ca get a free copy of 6 Pro on the disk that comes in the 1st edition Figures, Characters and Avatars: The Official Guide to Using DAZ Studio to Create Beautiful Art, by Les Pardew.

Posted: 25 October 2012 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-12-13

There was no vampire lore in New Orleans before Anne Rice. LOL Ghosts, voodoo priestesses, pirates, yes, but no neck biters. I love her writings, tho. Her favorite cities in the world are Paris, New Orleans, and San Francisco.

I’ve used this set before. It’s a bit more modern, tho.
http://www.sharecg.com/v/27192/View/11/Poser/French-Village

Signature 

Daz Gallery
DA Gallery

Posted: 25 October 2012 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-07-29
Slimer_J_Spud - 25 October 2012 05:29 PM

There was no vampire lore in New Orleans before Anne Rice. LOL Ghosts, voodoo priestesses, pirates, yes, but no neck biters. I love her writings, tho. Her favorite cities in the world are Paris, New Orleans, and San Francisco.

I agree that Anne Rice is to blame/celebrate for it. *chuckle*

Marie Laveau and the HooDoo man and Ghosts and Zombies and other wonderful things are a rich backdrop for some renders.

Man, I hope that the Big Easy value pack comes in .obj file format. That would rock.

Signature 

Posted: 25 October 2012 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-08

Some Vue content at Cornacopia 3D can be purchased in “unlocked” format. It costs more, but it can be imported into any number of other programs. You may have to texture them yourself, or apply the textures manually. I bought the Scottish Castle some time ago, and have used it in a number of things. But it comes in untextured.

ETA: I went and looked the value pack (and it *is* a considerable value!) seems only to be available in “locked” version. The individual pieces can be purchased in “standard distribution”. You might want to contact someone at the site to determine whether the stuff can be brought in as .objs.

However, there are nine pieces, plus a ground plane (which is sold separately) and the price difference between locked to your Vue license and the “standard” version is about a 30% markup.

Posted: 25 October 2012 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  144
Joined  0

Yeah, I bought that model from cornucopia that was unlocked - not licensed to my copy of view. I don’t use view. I really wanted to use DAZ studio. But I had to transit via carrara to get the model to actually load. Saved in DAZ obj format. The model is so gigantic (about 4 blocks) that it can really slow your computer down.  I too would love just one French Quarter building on it’s own.

Posted: 25 October 2012 09:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-07-29
ParisGranville - 25 October 2012 08:39 PM

Yeah, I bought that model from cornucopia that was unlocked - not licensed to my copy of view. I don’t use view. I really wanted to use DAZ studio. But I had to transit via carrara to get the model to actually load. Saved in DAZ obj format. The model is so gigantic (about 4 blocks) that it can really slow your computer down.  I too would love just one French Quarter building on it’s own.

If you buy the Big Easy Value pack, can you not separate them?

Signature 

Posted: 25 October 2012 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-08

There are seven different houses. But separately in unlocked versions they come to about $15-something each. Judging from the one I looked at the pop-up for. Given that the whole pack is about $25…

Posted: 25 October 2012 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  309
Joined  2007-09-11

You know, I’d love to have new Orleans in my runtime too, I think the best people to ask is Meshbox Designs. It would make a great series for them.

2 of 3