I’m using the newest release of Studio 4.5 (64 bit, Windows). That is to say, I’m experimenting with it. The problem is the start-up time. I.e. I double-click on the icon, then wait . . . . I just now timed it: over two minutes before it starts to do anything! I have no problem at all with the version of Studio 4 I normally use - it starts right up. I’d like to experiment with Studio 4.5 . . . do I have something set wrong or something? PS I’m working on a regular desktop computer, recently up-graded etc etc (i.e. not a tiny laptop or something).
I am using Win 7 64 bit, on an i7 machine, and DS starts in about 15 seconds, including loading the grey default Genesis figure into the viewport. That is when I start DS4.5 for the first time, later it takes about 12 seconds since it has been cahed I presume.
There is something wrong with how your version works. I am using 184.108.40.206 which is the latest version. I have the default Genesis figure set to load at startup.
Can you see how long it takes to load after the first time, and without the Genesis default character loading?
Are you running as Admin? Do you have anti-virus software running, because that is the only thing that I can think of that would slow it down so dramitically?
One thing I’ve noticed with mine is that if I close out the app with my Library window open and it is inside my huge Poser runtime, the startup time takes a good long while the next time I open the app. But, if I end my session in a native DS runtime, the next startup is no problem and is quite fast. May be something similar going on for your case.
So I’m not the only one…and no, my problem is NOT anything with the Library…
I’ve also determined that my particular problem is rare to unique (at the moment, I’m pushing rare).
I have a 5 minute minimum start up (5 to 7 minutes)...and I’ve determined it is something with QtGui4.dll. My advice…make sure that everything that QtGUI4 needs is up to date…that means Windows, if you are on a Windows system, especially the vcrun files (it seems to have been built for the latest vcrun2010 update), video card drivers (it can use OpenGL to draw the UI), audio drivers (yes, QtGui has an audio component to it) and motherboard drivers.
Thanks for the helpful replies. After reading them I went into “preferences,” de-selected the blank file I had been using on start-up, and tried everything again. Start-up time went from 2 minutes to ten seconds. Problem solved . . . weird. (I.e. “weird” since this file causes no trouble at all when I use it with Studio 4.)
24 hrs or so later . . . unfortunately that was really NOT a fix. Sometimes DAZ 4.5 starts up in 10 sec or so, sometimes it takes the full 2 minutes +. I’m inclined to think there is a pattern of some sort but at the moment I really don’t see it. Not sure what else to try.
i have long load times too, but only the first time following a system/Windows reboot
if i close DS4.5 and restart it, the load time is almost nil
i suspect it’s the content management daemon that goes through all the content folders
maybe it also goes through the gigantic data/ folders —
i changed my default scene to, the genesis figure, then deleted genesis from the scene, and saved this as my new default scene
oh another thing is, 99% of the time i use DS 4.5,
if i use ds3 and later run ds4.5, the DS4.5 crashes seem more frequent
so i tend to reboot the PC before using playing with DS4.5
i’ll try a reboot and see if my new default scene helped
Mine starts in 11 seconds, no Genesis scene because I have premade scenes to work for.
my issue is the eternal, ETERNAL, readings throug the disk after scene loaded completely, and that is more than 2 minutes….
- removed all the Poser and old Daz Studio folders from the content library
- tried to swap dlls ( that webkit dll is huge )
- factory reset
- installed the new version of DS 4.5, i was at 220.127.116.11 i think and am now at 18.104.22.168
i still get post-PC-reboot start times of 4 minutes
followed by 10 seconds start times
since all processes (including mcAfee) seem to almost not use CPU time during those painful 4 minutes starts
i still suspect that DS or one of its components is frantically searching for something on my hard disk.
Then later on when i start DS, the location of that something was memorized. and when i reboot it is forgotten
wild hypothesis: missing QT environment variables or registry entries