Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Studio 4.5 start-up time
Posted: 23 October 2012 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2008-09-19

I’m using the newest release of Studio 4.5 (64 bit, Windows).  That is to say, I’m experimenting with it.  The problem is the start-up time. I.e. I double-click on the icon, then wait . . . . I just now timed it: over two minutes before it starts to do anything!  I have no problem at all with the version of Studio 4 I normally use - it starts right up.  I’d like to experiment with Studio 4.5 . . . do I have something set wrong or something?  PS I’m working on a regular desktop computer, recently up-graded etc etc (i.e. not a tiny laptop or something).
Thoughts please?

Posted: 23 October 2012 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6682
Joined  2005-08-15

I am using Win 7 64 bit, on an i7 machine, and DS starts in about 15 seconds, including loading the grey default Genesis figure into the viewport.  That is when I start DS4.5 for the first time, later it takes about 12 seconds since it has been cahed I presume.

There is something wrong with how your version works.  I am using 4.5.1.6 which is the latest version.  I have the default Genesis figure set to load at startup. 

Can you see how long it takes to load after the first time, and without the Genesis default character loading?
Are you running as Admin?  Do you have anti-virus software running, because that is the only thing that I can think of that would slow it down so dramitically?

Posted: 23 October 2012 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

I agree, Full boot to loaded Genesis on my i7 is about 10 sec’s.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 23 October 2012 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2005-10-02

One thing I’ve noticed with mine is that if I close out the app with my Library window open and it is inside my huge Poser runtime, the startup time takes a good long while the next time I open the app. But, if I end my session in a native DS runtime, the next startup is no problem and is quite fast. May be something similar going on for your case.

Signature 

“Shall the clay say to the homie who fashioneth it ‘Dude, what maketh thou…?’” My Deviant Art Gallery

Posted: 23 October 2012 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

So I’m not the only one…and no, my problem is NOT anything with the Library…

I’ve also determined that my particular problem is rare to unique (at the moment, I’m pushing rare).

I have a 5 minute minimum start up (5 to 7 minutes)...and I’ve determined it is something with QtGui4.dll.  My advice…make sure that everything that QtGUI4 needs is up to date…that means Windows, if you are on a Windows system, especially the vcrun files (it seems to have been built for the latest vcrun2010 update), video card drivers (it can use OpenGL to draw the UI), audio drivers (yes, QtGui has an audio component to it) and motherboard drivers.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 23 October 2012 06:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-09-19

Thanks for the helpful replies.  After reading them I went into “preferences,” de-selected the blank file I had been using on start-up, and tried everything again.  Start-up time went from 2 minutes to ten seconds. Problem solved . . . weird. (I.e. “weird” since this file causes no trouble at all when I use it with Studio 4.)

Posted: 24 October 2012 02:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6682
Joined  2005-08-15

I am glad that worked for you, at least one mystery solved smile

Posted: 24 October 2012 11:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-09-19

24 hrs or so later . . . unfortunately that was really NOT a fix.  Sometimes DAZ 4.5 starts up in 10 sec or so, sometimes it takes the full 2 minutes +.  I’m inclined to think there is a pattern of some sort but at the moment I really don’t see it.  Not sure what else to try.

Posted: 25 October 2012 12:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

Drivers and system updates….

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 25 October 2012 02:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1862
Joined  2006-02-17

30 seconds startup here including Wine initialization.  If Wine is prefetched, startup is in the 20 second range.  This includes negotiating the connection to the centralized CMS server.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 31 October 2012 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2032
Joined  2006-01-19

i have long load times too, but only the first time following a system/Windows reboot
if i close DS4.5 and restart it, the load time is almost nil
i suspect it’s the content management daemon that goes through all the content folders
maybe it also goes through the gigantic data/ folders

i changed my default scene to, the genesis figure, then deleted genesis from the scene, and saved this as my new default scene

oh another thing is, 99% of the time i use DS 4.5,
if i use ds3 and later run ds4.5, the DS4.5 crashes seem more frequent
so i tend to reboot the PC before using playing with DS4.5

i’ll try a reboot and see if my new default scene helped

Posted: 31 October 2012 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  208
Joined  2006-01-26

Mine starts in 11 seconds, no Genesis scene because I have premade scenes to work for.
my issue is the eternal, ETERNAL, readings throug the disk after scene loaded completely, and that is more than 2 minutes….

Signature 

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/1312/
http://zilvergrafix.deviantart.com/

Posted: 31 October 2012 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2880
Joined  2004-04-14

My DS3 was like this, long start up times and delays in reading the Poser runtime where DS2 has no such issues.

DS4 and DS45 both start up rather quickly for me, about 10 seconds or so.

Signature 

My DAZ3D Store
My Free Stuff
My Art @ DeviantART
Ships of the Line - MEGA THREAD
How to use the Poser Format Exporter - **Updated 2013-02-09**

Posted: 31 October 2012 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-19

test results,

after changing the scene to Genesis default, then back to an empty scene
and rebooting the PC

i still get: long load times for the first run of DS4.5

very fast load times for subsequent runs

unconfirmed: saving the scene before exiting DS4.5 seems to help avoid crash-after-exit and seems to ensure a fast load on the next run

when DS4.5 is loading and taking time, i see very little CPU usage on DS4.5 and the content manager task, which would probably indicate that the time is spent on disk activity

next test : i’ll remove my poser runtime from the library and reboot the PC

Posted: 31 October 2012 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-09-19

Right, that’s the sort of result I’m getting, though I haven’t been able to see a systematic pattern.

Posted: 01 November 2012 12:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-19

more test results

i tried different things

- removed all the Poser and old Daz Studio folders from the content library
- tried to swap dlls ( that webkit dll is huge )
- factory reset
- installed the new version of DS 4.5, i was at 4.5.0.114 i think and am now at 4.5.1.6

i still get post-PC-reboot start times of 4 minutes

followed by 10 seconds start times

since all processes (including mcAfee) seem to almost not use CPU time during those painful 4 minutes starts
i still suspect that DS or one of its components is frantically searching for something on my hard disk.
Then later on when i start DS, the location of that something was memorized. and when i reboot it is forgotten

wild hypothesis: missing QT environment variables or registry entries

1 of 2