From the Poser 8 Readme…
Flexible Main Runtime Location
IMPORTANT: During the Poser 8 installation process, we highly recommend that you let the installer place your content into a shared document folder, which is the default setting. The reasons for this are outlined below.
Poser 8 includes a new feature designed for users that may not be able to write or save files in the application’s installation directory. Typical situations where this would arise would be:
- Vista [Or Windows 7] with UAC enabled
- In tightly administered lab environments where only the sys admin is allowed to make installation changes
When first installing Poser 8, the user is presented with four Runtime location options. If installing in either of the situations mentioned above we recommend selecting “Shared Document directory” which is optimal for multi-user machines, machines in labs, and machines with Windows Vista installed and UAC enabled. Additionally, this option facilitates backing up content only.
The full set of Flexible Main Runtime Location choices during installation are:
- Poser directory - Classic installation option with Runtime located in the main application directory. Provides maximum backward compatibility; suitable in situations where Flexible Main Runtime Location benefits are not needed.
- Shared Document directory - Optimal runtime location for multi-user machines, machines in access restricted environments without sys admin privileges, or machines with Windows Vista installed and UAC enabled. This option facilitates easily backing up content.
- My Documents directory - For multi-user machines where content will not be accessed by other machine users.
- Other location - Recommended when installing Runtime on a hard disk other than the primary disk, and/or when disk space is low on the boot volume.