Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Revolutionary soft-body physics
Posted: 31 May 2012 04:05 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  239
Joined  2012-05-25

Revolutionary soft-body physics in CryEngine3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KppTmsNFneg#!

is this what we will see in the new dazstudio 5 or carrara 9?
when do we see this in daz programs?
i really need it

Signature 

Very Happy that i save $$$ for products that have no manual and invest this in the great lux modo :p

Posted: 31 May 2012 08:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2006-05-09
creativemodelsbe - 31 May 2012 04:05 AM

Revolutionary soft-body physics in CryEngine3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KppTmsNFneg#!

is this what we will see in the new dazstudio 5 or carrara 9?
when do we see this in daz programs?
i really need it

Ah… the amazing CryEngine.  I mentioned it years ago and hoped to see similar technology in Bryce soon, but at this rate we’ll probably have to wait till year 2099.

Signature 

An example is worth ten thousand words.

Posted: 31 May 2012 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14627
Joined  2009-01-22

I think that is great tech but you understand it would require a complete rewrite of DS, Bryce or Carara to include just the engine. Then they would also have to include the new Rod/Beam system in the items made to use the system. And only those items would work in the system. They would then get asked why older props dont work in the new system. So they would have to write a new program to update older items to the new system… ect ect ect…..

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 31 May 2012 09:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2942
Joined  2011-12-10

HEY… we JUST got SDS in Daz Studio with Genesis!  Would be nice, I"m sure, but we’re always ten years behind the high end…

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

Posted: 31 May 2012 11:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-05-25
wancow - 31 May 2012 09:02 PM

HEY… we JUST got SDS in Daz Studio with Genesis!  Would be nice, I"m sure, but we’re always ten years behind the high end…

10 years behind?

soon there is no high end anymore.

Signature 

Very Happy that i save $$$ for products that have no manual and invest this in the great lux modo :p

Posted: 31 May 2012 11:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-05-25
Jaderail - 31 May 2012 10:09 AM

I think that is great tech but you understand it would require a complete rewrite of DS, Bryce or Carara to include just the engine. Then they would also have to include the new Rod/Beam system in the items made to use the system. And only those items would work in the system. They would then get asked why older props dont work in the new system. So they would have to write a new program to update older items to the new system… ect ect ect…..

why go back to the past, if you can go to the future?

why still use older props if the new one’s can be 100 times better.

Signature 

Posted: 01 June 2012 03:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  345
Joined  2009-03-17

The aim with DAZ Studio is to make the software accessable to everyone, not just to a few studios and rich folks. Besides that, many people would not be able to use those technologies as it would require relatively high end systems to make is usable. DAZ does not make (much) money with software because their market is 3D content. As others have said they would need to start from scratch to create software that uses a different render engine. This would break all shaders and most materials and probably most models too. Many people have been buying content for years and it has cost them many thousands of dollars. Even in the latest version you can still use content that was created 5 years ago. This is a hobby and not much more. If you want professional software and have the money you can get all the functionality you want elsewhere.

Signature 

My life is a symphony nearing a crescendo. There have been too many segues in this piece and I long for a caesura.

Posted: 01 June 2012 04:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-05-25
Harry Dresden - 01 June 2012 03:42 AM

The aim with DAZ Studio is to make the software accessable to everyone, not just to a few studios and rich folks. Besides that, many people would not be able to use those technologies as it would require relatively high end systems to make is usable. DAZ does not make (much) money with software because their market is 3D content. As others have said they would need to start from scratch to create software that uses a different render engine. This would break all shaders and most materials and probably most models too. Many people have been buying content for years and it has cost them many thousands of dollars. Even in the latest version you can still use content that was created 5 years ago. This is a hobby and not much more. If you want professional software and have the money you can get all the functionality you want elsewhere.

since daz created the “PRO” version of it’s software and did great marketing, not only hobby users are here.
there are more people with advanced systems now and pc’s and workstations get cheaper and faster and faster.
these kind of people expect a little more features to play.
daz created a base version and advanced system for the hobby market.
the reason why pro version is set to free, i do not know.
is it marketing? are there not enough pro features in the program?
who knows?

Signature 

Posted: 01 June 2012 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  803
Joined  2007-01-08

Looks amazing! And in real-time too! o_O

Posted: 01 June 2012 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6598
Joined  2009-07-13

nvidia SDK for Apex physX cloth is free to anyone who wants to develop a plugin!
still hoping someone will!

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
my gallery

Posted: 01 June 2012 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2301
Joined  2010-12-18

Daz Studio has its purpose and it’s not real-time physics. It’s mostly used for those who want to create still images for a variety of purposes, though character art is it’s strength. You can still be a “Pro” at what you are good at.

While soft body physics is cool, it would be nice if they improved the “soft body parts” in Genesis/V5 chest and rump area. V4 has a ton of fixes you can get to help when they bend or interact with the environment but I don’t see those tools yet for genesis. A lot of the fixes I saw can’t be moved over via GenX either since they are fundamentally scripts that run after the pose is complete.  Having breasts collide with objects doesn’t really work right either, ive seen people set mesh smoothing on genesis and then collide it with a wall and press her chest up against it, doesn’t work quite right. :(

Sitting down is also an issue, I think a lot of folks would take advantage of improvements in these areas but it seems these types of solutions are only found at the other sites and again only for V4 :(

Signature 

My deviantArt Pinup Gallery

Posted: 01 June 2012 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2454
Joined  2004-04-14

The software development kit is available to anyone who wants to write their own plugins.

Since this is not something I would use and I see no reason why DAZ should be responsable to provide it.

Want a plugin for your program, petition plugin makers.  DS was designed to be a modular program.

Signature 

My DAZ3D Store
My Free Stuff
My Art @ DeviantART
Ships of the Line - MEGA THREAD
How to use the Poser Format Exporter - **Updated 2013-02-09**

Posted: 01 June 2012 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1290
Joined  2010-02-14

Wow! That looks pretty sweet!

However, I noticed that at 0:32 the mesh still goes through the wall. smile

Signature 

“I’m sorry, I can’t hear you over the sound of how awesome I am!” ~ Brextor Ultimus

FORUM MEMBER POST RANKS
New Member = 0
Member = 25
Active Member = 250
Power Member = 1000
Addict = 2500

My Art Studio

Posted: 01 June 2012 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6598
Joined  2009-07-13

lol! I have asked nicely on Daz studio and Carrara forums!
but it is up to people with coding skills to decide if it is worth THEIR time to do it!
ofcourse people without nVidia cards would then whinge like Poser users over Genesis only products, Mac users over Windiws only plugins blah blah blah
but you cannot please everyone
then there is Mavelous clothing designer who might just get MY custom if they came to the party!!

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
my gallery

Posted: 01 June 2012 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10
creativemodelsbe - 31 May 2012 11:46 PM

why go back to the past, if you can go to the future?

why still use older props if the new one’s can be 100 times better.

So why don’t you have an nVidia card and Octane?  It’s one of the fastest renderers out there.  I can tell you why I don’t: I can’t afford it smile

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 01 June 2012 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10
Mattymanx - 01 June 2012 10:41 AM

The software development kit is available to anyone who wants to write their own plugins.

Since this is not something I would use and I see no reason why DAZ should be responsable to provide it.

Want a plugin for your program, petition plugin makers.  DS was designed to be a modular program.

Keep reminding them, Matty… someday it’ll sink in smile

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

1 of 2