Digital Art Zone

1 of 5
DAZ Studio 4 is Horrible
Posted: 23 October 2012 12:07 AM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2005-04-19

I don’t know how else to put this, but DAZ Studio 4 is horrible. Whoever decided it would be a good idea to scrap the intuitive interface of DAZ Studio 3 needs to have their position in the company re-evaluated. As an artist, I am befuddled by the extreme difficulty of even getting the hang of the interface. The interface is counter-intuitive and often disruptive to my focus and what I want to do. Just to set the camera at an angle, I have to reach all the way over across the screen. Just to pose the figure, I have to reach to another part of the screen to click on a tab and run through a barrage of totally consummate options that simply do not get to the point.

I imagine many other users are having serious complications with DAZ Studio 4’s interface as well.

Would it hurt to bring back the old interface as an option, at the very least?

Posted: 23 October 2012 12:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Joined  2005-04-19

For the record, as a user of DAZ Studio since 2005, I absolutely refuse to use DAZ Studio 4. I have reverted to DAZ Studio 3 and I will stay with it. If it inhibits me from buying plugins, so be it.

Posted: 23 October 2012 01:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1869
Joined  2005-12-31

You could the darkside and citylimits combo that gives you almost the exact same layout but with the added capabilities. I’ve been a studio user since 2005 and I can’t even make my self start up cludgy old 3 any more. Different strokes for different folks.

Posted: 23 October 2012 03:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6942
Joined  2005-08-15

DS4 is almost completely customisable, and as Khory says, try some of the other layouts.

There is no need to use all of the various tabs along the top, like Shaping and Posing etc, if you are familiar with DS at all.  My intercae looks very like DS3, I have Content Library, Scene and Surfaces on one side, and Parameters, and Pupeteer on the other.  It is very easy to use, and I would not go back to DS3 although I still have it installed.

Have a look at sorting out the UI to your own needs, you can have DS4 and DS3 on the same machine with no problems.

Posted: 23 October 2012 04:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  123
Joined  2007-09-12

I am using city limits layout too. And I have used almost all the previous versions of DS. I really like the new interface.

Signature 

Favourite Figure: Olympia 6
My website: http://mattiascibien.net
My Art Gallery: http://mattiascibien.deviantart.com/
Developer of AutoCam (commercial follow-up of my thesis project, currently on hold).

Posted: 23 October 2012 05:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  628
Joined  2009-02-04

Well, that is just your opinion man smile
Nothing wrong with 4 IMO, it took me a few hours to re-adjust. I wouldnt say the UI is particularly worse or better that DS 3 - just different.
Id argue that getting used to the new UI is small price to pay for all the new toys it offers.

Signature 

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/dogz

Posted: 23 October 2012 05:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2005-07-29

Well, I am IN 4.5 and using a layout that pretty much looks like 3 anyway. I’ll take the new bells and whistles but leave the old layout. DAZ heard people upset about the interface and made a customizable option that looks like it., I would suggest upgrading and trying it out.

Signature 

<End of transmission from Oz>
TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis/G2F/G2M Full Body Morph for DAZ Studio Pro 4.6 by RKane_1
TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis Partial Body Morph in DAZ Studio Pro 4 Using the DForm Tool by RKane_1
TUTORIAL - Applying Shaders by RKane_1 (as stolen blatantly from Jaderail)

Posted: 23 October 2012 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  829
Joined  2005-12-12

I have come to terms with the new interface. Although that just means I almost completely replicated my old DS3 interface.

Still, every time I start up DS3 I am delighted by the speed of the old interface. DS4 just feels like your doing everything with a big ball of iron tied around your ankle.

So I would agree that DS3 is much better, but regarding just layout, there doesn’t need to be much of a difference if you’re willing to spend a few minutes to customize everything.

Posted: 23 October 2012 06:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6942
Joined  2005-08-15

I don’t notice any difference in speed, if anything, DS4 is faster, but I am using the 64 bit version on an i7

Posted: 23 October 2012 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-07-29

I did notice a difference in speed between 4 and 4.5 which seems faster. Also, if you tell DAZ not to load Genesis automatically MAN does THAT speed it up.

Signature 

TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis/G2F/G2M Full Body Morph for DAZ Studio Pro 4.6 by RKane_1
TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis Partial Body Morph in DAZ Studio Pro 4 Using the DForm Tool by RKane_1

Posted: 23 October 2012 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8236
Joined  2009-05-14

I wouldn’t try to change someones mind or point of view but I too found the transition awkward. But now when I go back i to DS3A (to help others) I struggle to find things. Plus it now looks strangely barren compared to going to the Darkside. smile

Now I have a cross UI between DS4 and DS3 so I am happy with the changes…well apart form another issue which I won’t keep repeating. Overall I think DS4.5 is a whole new animal and I still prefer the program over others (Vue excluded). smile,

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Facebook

Posted: 23 October 2012 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  208
Joined  2006-01-26

I have both versions, Ds3 and the 4.x.x.6 whatever it finishes, take a long way to get along with Ds4, but it’s worth the time, try again.

Signature 

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/1312/
http://zilvergrafix.deviantart.com/

Posted: 23 October 2012 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2008-05-13
Darchind - 23 October 2012 12:07 AM

I don’t know how else to put this, but DAZ Studio 4 is horrible. Whoever decided it would be a good idea to scrap the intuitive interface of DAZ Studio 3 needs to have their position in the company re-evaluated. As an artist, I am befuddled by the extreme difficulty of even getting the hang of the interface. The interface is counter-intuitive and often disruptive to my focus and what I want to do. Just to set the camera at an angle, I have to reach all the way over across the screen. Just to pose the figure, I have to reach to another part of the screen to click on a tab and run through a barrage of totally consummate options that simply do not get to the point.

I imagine many other users are having serious complications with DAZ Studio 4’s interface as well.

Would it hurt to bring back the old interface as an option, at the very least?

Well I agree with you there except I have no problem with daz 4.0, but I have had ton of issues with later daz like daz 4.5. You talk about counter productive man I have never seen a proogram so set on wasting time. I have upgraded twice to 4.5 only to have to down grade back to 4.0 becuase of major bugs in the program. I have asked and asked for months now to fix some of these problem that have become abundantly clear that a lot of people are having the same issues only to have the people at daz say that the problem pretty much isn’t big enough. Oh well I guess.

Posted: 23 October 2012 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-07-29

Wow… I have had the exact opposite happen to me. The community steered me in the right direction and came to my aid and 4.5 works like a dream for me. Quicker response time and everything.

What were your issues, shadowl?

Signature 

Posted: 23 October 2012 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2005-04-19

You all say that the interface is customizable in DAZ Studio 4. That alone gives me hope. But is the option available in the free edition, or must I upgrade to the advanced edition to have it? If it’s not available in the free edition, DAZ is making a big mistake. People who evaluate the software and try the free edition will probably lose their focus and scurry away from it like I have, lol.

I thank you all for your feedback.

Posted: 23 October 2012 10:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1869
Joined  2005-12-31

All versions are free. You don’t get decimator and something else with the free pro but pretty much everything else is. Be sure to download darkside if it is still a separate download.

1 of 5