Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
New Daz User - Help needed
Posted: 25 October 2012 08:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8513
Joined  2007-11-06

That means CMS definitely isn’t running or is being blocked.  If you shut down DS4 and go to Start > Programs > DAZ 3D > DAZ Content Management Service > Start CMS, then restart DS4, do you have anything in Categories?

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 25 October 2012 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2006-11-06

I tried that already, with both 4.0 and 4.5. What happens is:

CMS loads up in a ‘DOS box’ (for lack of a better term) where it says content management is starting. Then I load up Daz, yet nothing in categories, and nothing in Smart Content.

So it sorta looks like it’s starting, but when I open Daz, it apparently isn’t working.

Posted: 25 October 2012 10:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8513
Joined  2007-11-06

Can you start Task Manager and go to the Services tab, and see if DAZContentManagementService is running?

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 25 October 2012 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2006-11-06

It says it has stopped. And when I try to start it in task manager, it says access is denied.

Posted: 26 October 2012 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2004-08-24

Do you have administrator rights ?

Does the service start up if you reboot.?

Posted: 26 October 2012 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2006-11-06

Yeah, have admin rights, and ran it in administrator mode too, when trying to start it up.

And nope, rebooting makes no difference.

Not sure what else to try. Could it be because I had Bryce 7.1 and Hexagon installed w/ Daz 4.0, and didn’t uninstall all three when I upgraded to Daz 4,5, that CMS broke? I did uninstall 4.0 and CMS, then installed 4.5, so figured that was enough.

Posted: 26 October 2012 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2004-08-24

It’s Strange that it’s not running when you reboot. ... it should.

The CMS is only part of Daz Studio,. so having Bryce and hexagon installed wouldn’t make any difference.
those don’t use Content in the same way and (AFAIK) don;t have any access to the CMS.

As long as you’ve uninstalled Daz Studio 4, and the CMS,..
then Installed the latest version of Daz Studio 4.5, and the CMS, ....you should be good to go.

Maybe FixmyPCmike will have a solution…

From what you say, ..it’s installed but not running on boot, ..and if you try to run it,.. it won’t “allow” you to,...
which all points at User rights.

Posted: 26 October 2012 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2006-11-06

Actually, only under task manager it said something about denying access.
I get this: ‘The operation could not be completed. Access is denied.’ When trying to run it under task manager.

If I run it normally, it does boot up, and says it is starting… but doesn’t actually start. Besides running it in administrator mode, not sure what other user rights are needed. It’s sort of weird. I initially thought maybe my firewall was blocking it somehow, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Posted: 26 October 2012 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

It sounds to me like access to the port the CMS opens to talk with DS is getting blocked. That is normally the AV or Firewall that will block the port.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 26 October 2012 06:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2006-11-06

Yeah, I thought so too originally. But under my firewall permissions, it’s set to allow CMS and Daz.

I checked it again just now, and think there is something to it though.

I disabled my firewall completely, started Daz… nothing.
I disabled my firewall, manually started CMS, then started Daz… no smart content, but now I have a categories section. And under task manager, it’s listed as running.
I enabled my firewall again, started Daz, and now CMS has shut down.

So… it does seem to be firewall related, but since I already set it to allow CMS/Daz to do what it wants to do, not entirely sure what I need to set here.

Posted: 26 October 2012 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

Which firewall?

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 27 October 2012 07:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

If you disable your firewall and get CMS running as before do you get content IF you import Metadata? That would tell us loads.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.

Posted: 27 October 2012 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2006-11-06

Tested importing metadata with the firewall off, and manually starting CMS… all is good. Smart Content shows up, finally.

And I am using Avira Security 2012 for my firewall.

So… any ideas what I need to set so my firewall doesn’t block CMS? I gave Avira permission to allow CMS/Daz already. Is there some port access or some hidden thing I need to set?

Oh, and I found a bug (which I expect the developers know of, but will mention anyway)—did a quick test render, but it was taking too long, so I switched to a slower speed, but I guess I didn’t close the previous render window ... and then the program sort of crashed on me.

Posted: 27 October 2012 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

I’m a sorry but I do not have the Port ID the CMS uses, I think you might be hitting a conflict over that Port ID. If more than one Program calls the port the first call will LOCK with your firewall active and the call by CMS later could be seen as an attempt to hack the port thus your Firewall blocks that call. I’m sure it can be fixed but I do not use the program you do. I’m just glad the issue has been pin pointed. I hope others can help you solve the problem.

EDIT: Some programs claim a port as Exclusive so the second call by CMS even when allowed will not open the port.

Signature 

Posted: 27 October 2012 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

I believe it is 27997, by default.

You can change the port number in the ini file.  The ini file resides in the same place as the executable.

If you suspect another application is locking the port, changing it in the ini file should allow it to run.  Also, if you change it, it would be a good idea to pick a number and configure Avira to allow CMS to use that port before you restart.  And for a restart, I mean…reboot, after making the changes.

I would make this change…

from…

Non-secure port to listennot listen.
Port=15432
Port
=27997 

to…

Non-secure port to listennot listen.
Port=15432
Port=27997 

The alternate port is included in the ini file, so it’s just a matter of removing the ‘;’ in front of it and placing the ‘;’ in front of the ‘active’ port.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

2 of 2