Digital Art Zone

Chaining Items together?
Posted: 21 October 2012 08:08 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  740
Joined  2012-03-25

I want to create a 4 link chain product where a person can keep adding 4 links until they have the chain the length they need. At the moment, my 4 link chain has 4 bones in it. But when I add the second one, I can’t find a way to connect it to the end. The ‘fit to’ utility overlays the first one, connecting ‘hip bone’ to ‘hip bone’. Point to just points one to the other. What I want to do is connect the hip bone of the second instance to the 4th bone of the first instance. Or maybe I need a 5th bone beyond the end, so everything lines up right, but I still can’t find a way to ‘fit to’ anything aside from hip to hip. Is there some other bone I should be using?

The goal is this. Create a poseable chain however long that is needed. And actually, yes, I already have 1 link, 2 link, 4 link, 8 link and 16 link versions, but I want to be able to use these to create like a 25 link version, using 16+8+1 and when I start posing the 16 link version the 8 link and the 1 link follow it.

Signature 

Visit My Dumor3D Store

Posted: 21 October 2012 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1422
Joined  2003-10-09

I’m not sure I understand correctly, but can you just parent the second segment to the last bone in the first segment?  (Scene tab, expand segment#1, click and drag segment#2 to the last node in segment#1)

Posted: 21 October 2012 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-03-25

Sean! That works! I was trying to do it through the parameters area and never thought to try drag and drop. The result is below. Y is 3 8 link chains not connected but postioned. The E is 2 16 link chains, the S is 2 16 link chains with the last 2 or 3 link hidden and the ! is a 16 link chain with two of the links above the . hidden. Took all of 3 minutes to make this.

Now, if you would like the product one it is finished, let me know and you’ve earned a free copy. wink It is more than just chains.

Image Attachments
yeschain.jpg
 Signature 

Visit My Dumor3D Store

Posted: 21 October 2012 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1422
Joined  2003-10-09

Glad to know that was what you needed! 

Sure, why not, I’d be happy to try out the product.  Might come in handy.

Posted: 21 October 2012 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-03-25
Sean Riesch - 21 October 2012 04:12 PM

Glad to know that was what you needed! 

Sure, why not, I’d be happy to try out the product.  Might come in handy.

OK, will do. It might be a while yet as I’m still hitting a snag or few as I move along with it. Those simple stupid things that cause me great delays. But I have dogged determination! I’ll PM you a link to it when I have at least a zip file for you.

Signature 

Visit My Dumor3D Store