Digital Art Zone

2 of 3
Modelling trousers for Genesis…
Posted: 23 October 2012 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

One of the things that makes making clothing for Genesis easier is the fact that it is a relatively trivial procedure to get it to fit almost any morph, if you model it for the base.  The process Roygee outlned is much more streamlined than what you needed to do for previous generations of models.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 23 October 2012 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  239
Joined  2011-10-27
Roygee - 23 October 2012 09:04 AM

1.  Use the basic Genesis, with smoothing set to basic.  Export as .obj, using the default Daz Studio scale.
2.  import into Hex using a scale of 1.  Weld all the parts into one and delete all materials - I keep a modified copy on hand for this.

I tried the above - the resultant import was enormous… see attached.
This can’t be right. It’s “honey I blew up the kid!”
I’ve cut out an area just so as not to breach forum rules - there was nothing there anyways…

Image Attachments
Image1.jpg

Posted: 23 October 2012 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1485
Joined  2008-01-01

Yes, that is the correct size for the import - doesn’t look like a default, unmorphed Genesis, though?

Posted: 23 October 2012 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6944
Joined  2005-08-15

When you export the base res mesh for Genesis from DS4, save it as DS units, 1 unit = 1cm.

When you import to Hex, make it Import Scale Factor 1.00, this will be quite large in Hex, but you don’t want it too small because some of the tolls don’t work properly with very small models.

Export it from Hex at Scale Factor of 0.1 (Nought point One)

Import to DS4 at 1000%, (One Thousand Percent), and it should be the right size.

See if that works for you.

EDIT:

Sorry Roy, it took me so long to answer, I was trying it all out, haven’t done it for years.

Posted: 23 October 2012 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-10-27

Unmorphed - not sure what htat means really -

I’ve changed some of the settings to that of a teenager but considered that if I did not then the trousers would not fit when I scaled the original DS genesis to suit afterwards.

I’ll try it with the default gen figure…

Terry

Posted: 23 October 2012 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-10-27

Hmmm OK so the scaling worked better with this….... Got a decent result with the scaling
How can I recover what I’ve done so far with the existing trousers then?
Given that the trousers do not fit properly to the general genesis - calves and butt pokes through the cloth waist does not fit etc… Do I have to start all over again and if so then how would the new pair of rags fit the character if I change it to a younger version later?

Posted: 23 October 2012 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

A morphed figure is anything changed from the original basic shape.

Yes, you will have to do a tiny bit of remodelling to get it to fit the default Genesis figure and yes, it will then fit whatever shape you morph Genesis to.  If you had stayed with the original teenage-sized figure, once you rigged it, it would not have fit correctly, because that figure would have been scaled down and when doing the rigging fit, it would have scaled the pants down proportionately.

This is what I meant about extra options you would have needed to do to get it to fit.

It actually does not matter what scale you export and import at, as long as you are consistent at importing and exporting at the same scale.  It is just easier to remember if you do this at the default scale of 1, especially if your project is done over a period of time and when it time to export you don’t remember what scale you imported at.

Posted: 23 October 2012 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-15
tdrd - 23 October 2012 12:49 PM

Unmorphed - not sure what htat means really -

I’ve changed some of the settings to that of a teenager but considered that if I did not then the trousers would not fit when I scaled the original DS genesis to suit afterwards.

I’ll try it with the default gen figure…

Terry

As Roygee says, when you make clothing for Genesis, do it for the unmorphed, Base Genesis figure.  That way, when you rig it, it should fit any Genesis character from a child to the Hulk.  That is the whole point of Genesis, one size fits all (or almost).

Making stuff for V4 or M4 is a lot more problematic, and Genesis is a lot simpler.

Posted: 23 October 2012 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-10-27

OK - I’ll make another pair of trousers for the basic Genesis character as outlined - the experience in modelling has not been a waste of time as far as Hexagon goes because I’ve learned a lot in the process. Hexagon looks like a fantastic tool once you’ve spent a while to get the basics - though there are a few times when i’ve validated something and found it increases the polygon count - then found I can not undo the process.
Luckily for me I do regular saves..
Thanks for all the feedback - i’ll return here when i’ve modelled a fresh pair.

INCIDENTALLY - once completed - how do I get these to appear in the content library in DS4.5?

Posted: 23 October 2012 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-15

INCIDENTALLY - once completed - how do I get these to appear in the content library in DS4.5?

You would save them in the new DUF format inside DS4.5 once rigged and textured, that is not so difficult either.

Also, have a look at how many undoes you have your Preferences set to in Hexagon, mine is set to 60, and I can undo anything at all, including collapsing the DG.

Posted: 24 October 2012 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-10-27

OK - I’ve remodelled the trousers using the original Genesis figure modified…
The trousers have several components for the seams and pockets etc.

Do I weld all the objects that make up the pants into one part or do I export these seperately.

I saw someone use ZBRUSH on a tutorial - is this necessary or is there another way because I cannot afford to get ZBRUSH at the moment.

I also want to make the jeans fabric show creases when the person kneels down - how would I go about that and when would I apply - before during or after rigging?

And (you knew this was coming) when do I apply the material - I don’t just mean colour - I need texture also.

Thank you in advance everyone for the feedback.

Posted: 25 October 2012 02:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

As far as rigging and fitting the clothing, it doesn’t matter whether you weld into one or leave as separate - Studio reads it all as one.  On the one hand, keeping them separate makes UV mapping simpler - you must UV map before exporting to rig.  On the other hand, if you ever need to apply the smoothing modifier to get a better fit, the pieces will tend to separate from the clothing.  If it were up to me, I’d weld all together - not just the groups, but physically attach using weld vertices.

If you have a belt, rather make that a separate clothing item - especially if it has a buckle that you won’t want to have deform with the bending of the body.  You can do this by hiding it when you export the clothing and it won’t be part of the .obj.

For making creases, after everything is done and saved as an asset, you can send it over the bridge to Hex in the posed position and model the creases, send it back and save as a morph.  The creases will only show when you invoke the morph.  Remember to have the resolution in the base mode.

You can also use other software, such as Zbrush to sculpt the creases - a very basic, but good (and free) sculpting application is Sculptris.  To use this, export the clothing in the posed position as an .obj, do the sculpting and import it via Morph loader.

I would do the texturing after rigging and before saving.

Posted: 25 October 2012 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-10-27

I’ve gone through the UV mapping and painting process, saved the resultant file as OBJ and imported it into DAZ Studio.
The trousers are still white/grey - the colour mapping has not carried across.
Any ideas why?

Terry

Posted: 25 October 2012 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

Studio doesn’t automatically read the texture file - you need to go to the surfaces tab, select diffuse and navigate to the folder where you saved the .obj.  There you will find a .png file with the same name as the .obj.  Load that and you should be OK

Posted: 26 October 2012 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-10-27

Thank you for that - excellent - I would never have sussed that out on my own.

I eventually want to make these jeans/trousers into a freebee package for others on sharecg so how would I supply the users with different materials?

I need to rig them first so i’m a bit premature with that one…
Any good tuts on rigging out there?

I’ve looked briefly at 3.am this morning but had to retire…

Terry

2 of 3