Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Video about Daz armour.
Posted: 20 October 2012 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2005-10-21

I found this on youtube, and immediately thought ‘Hey, they must have been to the store here at least once, and seen orion’s and a few other P.As stores.’

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTGh0EMmMC8

This video highlights one of the main reasons I tend not to buy a lot of ‘clothing’ items.

Posted: 20 October 2012 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1810
Joined  2003-10-09

l am with you on this one , the high heels moment was funny and the design by her friends , high heels armor and wings lol

Signature 

Just Released :The Aviatrix &  The Vampire Huntress
MEC4D PRODUCTS BY DAZ3D
MEC4D HOME

Posted: 20 October 2012 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8142
Joined  2009-05-14

Classic. I look it at as it saves me money. smile I want proper armour that has a lot of shiny bits

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 20 October 2012 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16438
Joined  2003-10-09

That is superb.  Thanks for sharing

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        October Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 20 October 2012 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  751
Joined  2003-10-09

Haha, I’m so sick of that argument. Would Boris and Frazetta be as popular as they were if they had painted women in plate armor? Would anyone read Red Sonja if she wore a tunic? A lot of the people who demand their female warriors wear realistic protective armor also have them fighting dragons and other fantasy creatures.  :D

Plenty of us are not here for realism, we’re here to buy stuff so we can make sexy renders that others will want to see. Would I prefer to wear full armor if I were going into battle, of course. Would I prefer to look at a render of a woman in a leather battle bikini over one in full armor, of course.  wink

Signature 

“It answers all the questions, finally, but not really, but kind of”
- Bob Denver

my deviantArt page: http://snowsultan.deviantart.com

Smacky icon by Xamag

Posted: 20 October 2012 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

Hey no one is having a go at anyone just good old fashioned humour based on other poeples point of view. For me there is no arguement just a laugh.

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Posted: 20 October 2012 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9056
Joined  2007-11-06

There’s nothing wrong with making images using fantasy armor—obviously the number of such products compared to more functional armor is indicative of what sells, just as the relative sales of female items vs. male or child ones does, or skimpy modern clothing vs. businesswear for women.  But if you want functional armor or businesswear for females or clothing for males or children, the relative scarcity does get frustrating.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Tutorial: Adding Surfaces in DS
Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 20 October 2012 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
Szark - 20 October 2012 03:09 PM

Hey no one is having a go at anyone just good old fashioned humour based on other poeples point of view. For me there is no arguement just a laugh.

Oh I know, but a lot of times I see these discussions turn into “DAZ never makes what I want” threads. I just wanted to point out that DAZ does make what a lot of us want.  wink

It may be frustrating not to find realistic armor or clothing, but what’s also frustrating is actually working hard on using realistic clothing or armor in a render and then have no one look at it. Even recently I’ve been disappointed at how little attention anything of mine gets unless it has fighting or very scantily-clad women in it. Vendors aren’t actually the only ones who have to make whatever sells, sometimes the end user needs to do the same if they want their work to be seen.

Signature 

- Bob Denver

Smacky icon by Xamag

Posted: 20 October 2012 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

I don’t get worked up about things like this or even frustrated. I suppose if I was a jobbing artist I might feel differently but I have no demand for anything. I used to buy what I like and what I think I might use in the future. I am not even thinking like that any more as I have a ton of content I haven’t used yet. So I promised myself to use more of what I have got for a while. smile

Christine found this amusing too and she doesn’t even do this CG artistry but she understands. smile

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Posted: 20 October 2012 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2005-10-21

Yep, it’s all in fun ^_^

It’s a place that sells lots of things, and if certain things aren’t suitable, then people can always buy alternatives smile

I know I prefer more realistic, protective looking stuff but that’s just my preference for the kind of things I want my art and everything to depict.

I bet Orion and folks get lots of sales too, because other people want other things.  Variety makes the world go around, hey. smile

Posted: 20 October 2012 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1810
Joined  2003-10-09

I imagine Xena ruining in high heels that would be hilarious to see
and yes original Red Sonia and Conan half naked was for the visual part and nothing have to do with functionality or reality it was pure fantasy , and fantasy allow you to do everything what you imagine .
still the video is very funny
before we talk always about ladies, swords and temples 3 very important factor to bring the fantasy to life wink

Signature 

Just Released :The Aviatrix &  The Vampire Huntress
MEC4D PRODUCTS BY DAZ3D
MEC4D HOME

Posted: 20 October 2012 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1003
Joined  2012-01-29

Very funny, and true! I remembered this when I looked at Mystical Touch item in the store. In the 1st promo the guy is covered from feet to neck, while the woman is only wearing some fantasy-like bikini. And that although they are both promoting - staffs… tongue rolleye Pictures of scantily clothed women simply sell more. LOL

Posted: 20 October 2012 11:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  555
Joined  0

Actually, with the Conan and Red Sonja stories, there was a big difference between the cover art and the armour that was described for them in the stories.

Most of the time they wore plate or chain mail armour into battle. That’s true of most fantasy warrior stories.

But it’s the cover art that gets the target audience to buy the book.

Posted: 20 October 2012 11:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

In the original set of books, I think we see Conan half naked when he escapes slavers, near the beginning and then not until after he’s married.\

Red Sonja…well, it’s Marvel’s fault for that one…come to think of it…Conan, too.

Besides, most of the women in Boris’s paintings were not doing a ‘warrior’ type thing…they were either being rescued or casting spells.  Of course, the stuff he did for Marvel was mostly fully clothed and the same with the covers for Star Trek books…but there’s a large number of his paintings that feature loincloth or less clad guys fighting to keep those dangly bits from becoming ex-dangly bits, simply because they went out to fight said monster wearing whatever they slept in the night before.  But then again, doing the poster for Barbarella sort of started him on the road to the ‘chainmail bikini’...

As for Frank…do any of his paintings, other than movie posters, actually feature enough clothing to protect from the weather conditions/environment shown, let alone any sort of combat depicted?

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 21 October 2012 12:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I have to respectfully disagree, I know for a fact that in at least the first 30 issues of Red Sonja, she wore her chainmail bikini all the time.  I think they might have switched to a cropped chainmail shirt (which isn’t much more protective) in recent issues.

I also have at least nine Boris pictures with warrior women (armed) wearing tiny gold pasties or bikinis.

Signature 

- Bob Denver

Smacky icon by Xamag

Posted: 21 October 2012 12:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13
SnowSultan - 21 October 2012 12:05 AM

I have to respectfully disagree, I know for a fact that in at least the first 30 issues of Red Sonja, she wore her chainmail bikini all the time.  I think they might have switched to a cropped chainmail shirt (which isn’t much more protective) in recent issues.

I also have at least nine Boris pictures with warrior women (armed) wearing tiny gold pasties or bikinis.

In the books, not the Marvel comics…she was Sonya, she wore clothes/armor.  Marvel did the bikini starting with issue 1…and got us teenaged guys hooked and we never looked at a warrior maiden the same way again.

9 out of how many hundreds of BV paintings?  I know I don’t have anywhere near a complete list, but not counting any book covers, I can think of at least 20 that the women, while scantily clad, are NOT warriors…heck, he did a whole bunch of paintings of women wearing ‘why bothers’ draped over dragons and other beasties (instead of Porsches. Lambourghinis and other cars) and not a one of them is very ‘warrior’ like.

(I know, it’s a really horrible task and it will be so hard to complete, but I guess I’ll just have to sit and count/categorize them…)

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

1 of 2