Digital Art Zone

Heaven help us : West Park & Castle Keep installer chaos
Posted: 20 October 2012 05:55 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2009-12-07

Today I joyfully picked up all the remaining West Park and Castle Keep items I did not have, and unfortunately then I tried to download and install. We have DPC files, DS files, TRX files, MAC files, PC files, ZIP files, EXE files. It looks like every Castle Keep installer uses a different naming convention and tries to be more cryptic than the previous. Try 13804_VWPBDS_v1.1_ds.exe - pc or 13715_WPBase_v1.1_dpc.exe - pc or 14392_PPPSPointPt4_v1.2_trx.exe or 14078_CK2GT_v1.0_dpc.exe - PC pr 14024_F2011CK2DS_v1.0_ds.exe - PC

Some files have metadata (for part 1) and other don’t (part 2).

Sheesh, is it supposed to be this hard? I have NO IDEA what to download and install - so should I just do everything or is there some sense to this?

Can we please have some installer naming conventions put in place and name the product properly. This is especially important when buying bundles, otherwise we can’t find the product we wish to reinstall.

Signature 

PoseMaster for DAZ Studio and PoseMaster People Pack now sold at Rendo.

Posted: 20 October 2012 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  609
Joined  2004-12-14
cridgit - 20 October 2012 05:55 AM

Today I joyfully picked up all the remaining West Park and Castle Keep items I did not have, and unfortunately then I tried to download and install. We have DPC files, DS files, TRX files, MAC files, PC files, ZIP files, EXE files. It looks like every Castle Keep installer uses a different naming convention and tries to be more cryptic than the previous. Try 13804_VWPBDS_v1.1_ds.exe - pc or 13715_WPBase_v1.1_dpc.exe - pc or 14392_PPPSPointPt4_v1.2_trx.exe or 14078_CK2GT_v1.0_dpc.exe - PC pr 14024_F2011CK2DS_v1.0_ds.exe - PC

Some files have metadata (for part 1) and other don’t (part 2).

Sheesh, is it supposed to be this hard? I have NO IDEA what to download and install - so should I just do everything or is there some sense to this?

Can we please have some installer naming conventions put in place and name the product properly. This is especially important when buying bundles, otherwise we can’t find the product we wish to reinstall.

DAZ has installer naming conventions - they just don’t follow the naming conventions that they explained to us in the old forums.

As best I can tell, DAZ is trying to ensure that DOS users can still see the installers - there hasn’t been a need for these kind of shortened names for the last 10 to 15 years.  You see the same problem within the files too.  Vendors still insist on following an 8.3 file naming convention along with underscores in place of spaces.  DOS has been gone for a long time, but DAZ and the vendors do not seem to have grasped that.

Signature 

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored” - Aldous Huxley

Posted: 20 October 2012 07:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10071
Joined  2005-10-07

dpc.exe - pc would be the poser file for non-mac.

a zip file with the IM prefix,  like IM00000882_little-french-maids.zip,  seems to include all the install files.

i haven’t d/l the trx files, i’m guessing it’s for the ds content manager service.  poser doesn’t seem to need it.

some of the files don’t come with the readme’s, meaning no file list.  these dayz i install to a temp folder first so i can see what files are installing.

Signature 

°  °   °   °   °   °
DSP4.6.2.118 Valentina Luxus ManualD/L C85P PP12 W3d99.5

Posted: 20 October 2012 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5315
Joined  2005-08-29
Misty Whisky - 20 October 2012 07:23 AM

dpc.exe - pc would be the poser file for non-mac.

a zip file with the IM prefix,  like IM00000882_little-french-maids.zip,  seems to include all the install files.

i haven’t d/l the trx files, i’m guessing it’s for the ds content manager service.  poser doesn’t seem to need it.

some of the files don’t come with the readme’s, meaning no file list.  these dayz i install to a temp folder first so i can see what files are installing.

trx is often, but not always Genesis content (trx stands for Triax Weight Mapping), but sometimes DS materials as named trx as well. Content manager files are named Metadata but newer installers has the metadata built in and not in a senarate installer, good as it feels like overhead to download 15MB installer to install a 2k file…

Signature 

=============================================
My DAZ Gallery  | The adventures of Lomund
Free RPG adventures for DnD, O:FR and more: http://4eyes.code66.se
Community Volunteer

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club
I always look on the bright side of life, ‘cause I never expected the Spanish inquisition!

Posted: 21 October 2012 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-12-07

Thank you all for the responses.

From the above and a lot of experimenting with the files, we have the following.
- No clear naming conventions for product names and files split into multiple parts (sometimes you get part 2, 5, 7 for 1, 2, 3).
- DPC is for Poser content (CR2, HR2, PP2, PZ2 etc).
- DS is for DAZ content. When the DS is a lot smaller than the DPC it probably contains only .DAZ scenes and .DS material presets, and needs the DPC for objects and textures. When the DS is a similar size to the DPC it mostly contains all the required files and you don’t need to install the DPC. I say mostly because there have been a couple of exceptions.
- Indeed TRX seems to be for DS4+ and seems to be mostly self-contained although again in a few cases I had to installed the DPC or DS file too for the TRX to work. Not really sure why we need a TRX for props or environments, however.
- Some DS files and some TRX files contain metadata. Unfortunately this seems to be the most inconsistent rule with around a 50/50 split. Sometimes the metadata is there and sometimes is isn’t, so unless I install the separate metadata file, I need to install each product, then start Studio to check if the metadata has been installed. Very inconvenient.
- Note that if you’re installing a DS or TRX file containing metadata to a dummy location just to check the files, the metadata still gets installed and loads when you start Studio.
- The IM zipfiles seem to contain all the necessary files which is nice, except I haven’t found any metadata in one of the IM zip files yet.

Still scratching head.

Signature 

Posted: 21 October 2012 08:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  787
Joined  2005-09-19
cridgit - 21 October 2012 07:34 AM

- No clear naming conventions for product names and files split into multiple parts (sometimes you get part 2, 5, 7 for 1, 2, 3).

I believe they’re sequential, but including updates. So they might start out as 1, 2, 3, but as soon as one needs updating the new version will be renumbered and become 4, and so on.

Not really sure why we need a TRX for props or environments, however.

Could be as simple as someone not understanding the naming convention.

- Some DS files and some TRX files contain metadata. Unfortunately this seems to be the most inconsistent rule with around a 50/50 split. Sometimes the metadata is there and sometimes is isn’t, so unless I install the separate metadata file, I need to install each product, then start Studio to check if the metadata has been installed. Very inconvenient.

The theory is: new releases include metadata in the main installer; older releases include metadata as a separate installer, unless they have been updated recently, in which case the metadata has been moved into the main installer; pre-DS 4 releases don’t have metadata unless they’ve been updated. Metadata should only ever be in one installer, so if there’s a separate metadata installer you do need it.

Posted: 21 October 2012 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-12-07
DWG - 21 October 2012 08:27 AM

Metadata should only ever be in one installer, so if there’s a separate metadata installer you do need it.

That’s what I thought too, but I’ve been checking by installing only the main installer for products with separate metadata installers and half the time the metadata is installed too. The other half I need to use the separate metadata installer.

Signature 

Posted: 21 October 2012 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8425
Joined  2007-11-06
cridgit - 21 October 2012 08:43 AM

Metadata should only ever be in one installer, so if there’s a separate metadata installer you do need it.

That’s what I thought too, but I’ve been checking by installing only the main installer for products with separate metadata installers and half the time the metadata is installed too. The other half I need to use the separate metadata installer.

Which ones?  I haven’t found any products which had separate metadata installers which didn’t also have the metadata in the main installer.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 21 October 2012 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-12-07
fixmypcmike - 21 October 2012 09:03 AM

Which ones?  I haven’t found any products which had separate metadata installers which didn’t also have the metadata in the main installer.

I haven’t kept a list Mike, but about a dozen or so over the past 2 months. From my installer archive, I’ll go look up which metadata files I kept, which means they were needed at the time of installation. If the main installer works I chuck the metadata installer.

I’ll post back when I’ve made the list - it’ll be a search on a huge non-indexed NAS drive.

EDIT: what I have so far (about to go to bed so will update tmw)
- Dream Home Yard & Pool
- Carnival Picnic Tables
- Sports Time for Genesis
- Real Tanks & Containers

Signature 

Posted: 21 October 2012 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8425
Joined  2007-11-06
cridgit - 21 October 2012 09:11 AM
fixmypcmike - 21 October 2012 09:03 AM

I haven’t kept a list Mike, but about a dozen or so over the past 2 months. From my installer archive, I’ll go look up which metadata files I kept, which means they were needed at the time of installation. If the main installer works I chuck the metadata installer.

I’ll post back when I’ve made the list - it’ll be a search on a huge non-indexed NAS drive.

EDIT: what I have so far (about to go to bed so will update tmw)
- Dream Home Yard & Pool
- Carnival Picnic Tables
- Sports Time for Genesis
- Real Tanks & Containers

What version numbers?  I just installed Carnival Picnic Tables and Real Tanks & Containers, both were version 1.1, and both had the metadata in the main installer.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 21 October 2012 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-12-07

Dream Home Yard & Pool 1.1
Carnival Picnic Tables 1.0
Sports Time for Genesis 1.0
Real Tanks & Containers 1.2

What I did notice is that in some cases I have only the DS installer and for others I have only the DPC installer. So maybe I’m missing files which means the metadata doesn’t load.

Hmmm go figure. They could make it harder if they tried. But only a little.

I guess I need to go redownload and reinstall every bloody one of my 700 or so products.

Signature 

Posted: 21 October 2012 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  538
Joined  2011-04-12
cridgit - 21 October 2012 07:34 AM

- DS is for DAZ content. When the DS is a lot smaller than the DPC it probably contains only .DAZ scenes and .DS material presets, and needs the DPC for objects and textures. When the DS is a similar size to the DPC it mostly contains all the required files and you don’t need to install the DPC. I say mostly because there have been a couple of exceptions.

I think you neglected to mention that the only way to determine relative sizes is to completely download both files.

(Come on, DAZ!  Every server on the entire internet except yours tells my browser how large the file is at the start of the transfer.)

Signature 

Not interested in the giant leap backwards that is “Genesis 2”.

Posted: 21 October 2012 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1615
Joined  2012-01-04

Whats really sad is on the download page the space taken up for the amount of downloads you have left when there is more than enough room to list the size of the file.

Signature 

Old Post Count: Maybe 3 or 4.
O/S: Windows 7x64
D/S: 4.6.0.18