Digital Carver's purchase?

GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I actually owe a tip of the hat to DCG -- it was a banner ad somewhere for their products that led me to discovering Carrara!

But I have yet to buy any of their products...in spite agonizing over the choices. I know, I know...buy them all right? Still, I would to hear from forum members who have used DCG products. I'd be especially grateful for any scenes rendered using these products.

Right now, I am leaning strongly toward buying Enhance:C. Terrain Tools is also high on the list.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

  • tsaristtsarist Posts: 957
    edited December 1969

    What is the name of the vendor? Digital Carver?
    Do they sell here on Daz?
    Is Terrain Tools for sale here?


    I'm only asking these questions because I went looking to see what items they had and couldn't find the vendor or the products.


    Do you mean a different name, like Bijan or Inagoni?

  • GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

    I am not sure if they sell through the Daz Store. Perhaps they don't.

    Here is the directly link: http://www.digitalcarversguild.com/carraraplugins.php

    Sorry for leaving that out earlier!

  • tsaristtsarist Posts: 957
    edited December 1969

    Garstor said:
    I am not sure if they sell through the Daz Store. Perhaps they don't.

    Here is the directly link: http://www.digitalcarversguild.com/carraraplugins.php

    Sorry for leaving that out earlier!


    LOL!
    Thanks Garstor.
    I was going crazy trying to find them here.
    I have heard favourable things about their stuff, but unfortunately, I can't be more specific than that because I see I haven't used any of their stuff.


    It looks really good and could expand the already powerful Carrara.

    Someone will come along and probably tell you the (hopefully) good word on Digital Carver's Guild


    Best of Luck!
    :coolsmile:

  • argus1000argus1000 Posts: 456
    edited December 1969

    I'm telling you: DIgital carver's guild products can do wonderful things, but they have a learning curve.

  • GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

    argus1000 said:
    I'm telling you: DIgital carver's guild products can do wonderful things, but they have a learning curve.

    That's kind of what I fear. I feel that I don't know enough about using the Shader Room as it is...jazzing it up with even more knobs and bells and whistles might only exacerbate things.

    :ohh:

  • tsaristtsarist Posts: 957
    edited December 1969

    Garstor said:
    argus1000 said:
    I'm telling you: DIgital carver's guild products can do wonderful things, but they have a learning curve.

    That's kind of what I fear. I feel that I don't know enough about using the Shader Room as it is...jazzing it up with even more knobs and bells and whistles might only exacerbate things.

    :ohh:


    Yeah, I kind of thought the learning curve might be kind of steep.
    I really just started getting into the shader room about 1 1/2 or 2 years ago.
    I can make some adjustments, but don't know everything about the room.
    Also don't have the time or patience to hunt all over the Earth for this tutorial or that to figure it all out.


    Still, the Digital Carver's Guild stuff looks pretty powerful.

  • RichardChaosRichardChaos Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    I love anything DCG and WISH DAZ would have as much insightfulness as they had. The updated versions of carrara. Seem every update gets less and less impressive.

    For one I have no idea WHY DAZ and not dropped the dismal Vertex Modeler and incorporated Wondrous HEXAGON Modeler!

  • RichardChaosRichardChaos Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    I wish you could cherry pick DCG attributes, Such as if you really want say a AGOOS mixer and a BEVELED EDGE, you have to buy both AGOOS and Shader ops

  • Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 637
    edited December 1969

    Holly wrote up a review including some of those plug-ins over at CarraraCafe

    http://carraracafe.com/?p=1132

  • tsaristtsarist Posts: 957
    edited December 1969

    Holly wrote up a review including some of those plug-ins over at CarraraCafe

    http://carraracafe.com/?p=1132

    Thanks Kevin

    I hadn't seen that over in the Cafe.

  • head waxhead wax Posts: 2,871
    edited December 1969

    I bought Toon Pro and Anything Goos - they have their uses and I would buy them again.
    They are, however, in my opinion, premium priced (relative to other software -) - so think of it as a Chrissie present to yourself.
    That said, anything that enhances Carrara is a welcome product.

  • RichardChaosRichardChaos Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    DAZ should serious think about incorporating some of the DCG into carrara OR offering saving on say a couple of them if you buy carrara!

    I could not sleep at night NOT KNOWING I had anything GOOS loaded up!

    I love to do dirty banged up models and AGOOS is essential for that.

  • thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 391
    edited December 1969

    Garstor said:
    I actually owe a tip of the hat to DCG -- it was a banner ad somewhere for their products that led me to discovering Carrara!

    But I have yet to buy any of their products...in spite agonizing over the choices. I know, I know...buy them all right? Still, I would to hear from forum members who have used DCG products. I'd be especially grateful for any scenes rendered using these products.

    Right now, I am leaning strongly toward buying Enhance:C. Terrain Tools is also high on the list.

    Thanks in advance!

    I think what will be good for you depends too much on how you use Carrara for anyone's suggestions to do you much good. I now happily have nearly every plugin he sells. But not only are they good plugins, but he gives incredible support. I highly recommend contacting him and he could probably give you some recommendations if you can elucidate what you do and how you use Carrara.

    I'm tempted to give you some examples of how I use the plugins just because I think they're cool, but perhaps the most telling thing is I forget and just use them because they're there. And then forget to have them installed on a render node and *oops* it doesn't come out right.

    Off the topic of DC's stuff, but make sure you have Fenric's products. I forget which one it came with, but the one that allows you to tweak color by hue/saturation/etc. is invaluable. Not to knock DC's at all (his allow you to do some *very* cool things, like use a 'rendered' value as input for the shader -- okay, that doesn't make sense and I'm not going to try and explain better, but it is something I encountered on a one-off shader and got me to buy more), but I think that -- for me -- is probably the most used plugin in the shader room. Totally awesome.

  • DougSDougS Posts: 68
    edited December 1969

    DCG makes wonderful useful tools at a fair price and provides examples on their web site and will help you with answers if you get stuck and provides regular updates to keep with Carrara updates and/or to fix any bugs (very few)

  • GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

    Thanks everyone for the replies! (Alas, I wasn't being informed via email about them...)

    Once I am back home (currently in Seattle on business), I'll go ahead and purchase Enhance: C as a minimum.

Sign In or Register to comment.
Rocket Fuel