Luke and Laura for Genesis, Genesis Teen Renders

Comments

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 914
    edited December 1969

Well I'm finding things are finally starting to look like home again,avatars are back threads are being bump to the front where they can be found,I can log in and actually post , LIFE IS GOOD!!

• MurgatroydMurgatroyd Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

And here are some male counterparts to my last set (with Genesis D3 for scale):

pre+young_teen_boys.jpg
    675 x 890 - 120K
  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 4,932
    edited December 1969

Come on Daz, the wait for Thorne's 'Basic Youth' is killing me! lol! :P.

And Thorne the latest preview of the girl is very cute. You really put love into your work, Can't wait :)

Murgatroyd your males are looking sweet, the proportions are good aswell :D

• edited December 1969

Further adventures in dial-spinning. Ages are 8, 10, and 13, with V5 for scale.

These are nice, esp. 13. Do you have a shortlist of favorite morphs for this kind of work?

Still awaiting Thorne's as well.

edited December 1969

TZORG said:
    These are nice, esp. 13. Do you have a shortlist of favorite morphs for this kind of work?

The core parameters are, of course, Scale and Head Propagating Scale.
    Age 8: scale 70%, head 18%
    Age 10: scale 79%, head 8%
    Age 13: scale 88%, head 4%

Beyond that, Chest Width, Sternum Depth, and Lats Volume (all either basic Genesis morphs or from the Evolution set) at negative values for a less developed upper torso (turn off limits on Lats Volume).
    From Thorne's Genesis Body Morph Resource Kit 1, BF_HipSmall, BF_StraightWaistline, BF_OuterThighsIn, and BF_InnerThighsIn to reduce curves at waist and hips.
    Faces are primarily a mix of 'young' type morphs from Thorne's Genesis Head Morph Resource Kits.
    (For most of the above, values are more extreme for younger characters.)
    The 10 year old girl has just a touch of BreastsShape1 from the Body Morph Resource Kit, and of Hitomi Breasts Petite. The 13 year old girl has 0.3 Basic Female, plus 0.1 Breasts Size and 0.4 Hitomi Breasts Petite. The 13 year old boy has 0.3 Basic Male.
    I also used a few morphs from DieTrying's 182 V4 Morphs for Genesis (free) to reduce arm and leg thickness.
    I think that covers most of what I used.

So am I.

• edited December 1969

Thanks for the detailed answer.

• DogzDogz Posts: 713
    edited August 2012

Yeah Luke and Laura would be a fantastic addition to Genesis, but I have to say that I was never very keen on Lauras face, it was from a time when Daz had a tendancy to give there base figures overly strong facial features - not what you really want for a base figure, which really needs to be as generic as possible (Like Genesis) for example - trying to make Laura3 or Steph 3 look asian/oriental was a nightmare, their features were too heavily geared towards a caucasian look.

The best morph (bar none) I ever found for Laura was Melisa Blue by Sarsa and Thorne I think. Id love to see them remake her for Genesis.

Post edited by Dogz on
  • XenaXena Posts: 591
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

And here are some male counterparts to my last set (with Genesis D3 for scale):

Murgatroyd... What morphs did you use for the male?, I read your info on the V5 version and was curious :) I haven't tried using D3 for scaling before, M5 and M4 vary in results.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 1,555
    edited December 1969

TZORG said:

The core parameters are, of course, Scale and Head Propagating Scale.
    Age 8: scale 70%, head 18%
    Age 10: scale 79%, head 8%
    Age 13: scale 88%, head 4%

Beyond that, Chest Width, Sternum Depth, and Lats Volume (all either basic Genesis morphs or from the Evolution set) at negative values for a less developed upper torso (turn off limits on Lats Volume).
    From Thorne's Genesis Body Morph Resource Kit 1, BF_HipSmall, BF_StraightWaistline, BF_OuterThighsIn, and BF_InnerThighsIn to reduce curves at waist and hips.
    Faces are primarily a mix of 'young' type morphs from Thorne's Genesis Head Morph Resource Kits.
    (For most of the above, values are more extreme for younger characters.)
    The 10 year old girl has just a touch of BreastsShape1 from the Body Morph Resource Kit, and of Hitomi Breasts Petite. The 13 year old girl has 0.3 Basic Female, plus 0.1 Breasts Size and 0.4 Hitomi Breasts Petite. The 13 year old boy has 0.3 Basic Male.
    I also used a few morphs from DieTrying's 182 V4 Morphs for Genesis (free) to reduce arm and leg thickness.
    I think that covers most of what I used.

So am I.

As a mom, I can't help myself.

Please indulge me in this quick reminder: While these scaling numbers are great starting points and "averages", kids are not a "size = age" situation. Especially in the 8-18 range. :) My advice would be to focus more on the face morphs and getting that to look the "right" age, and use the scaling as a base to start from, not an absolute.

As an example, my daughter is, like me, on the short side. Based on scaling Genesis to her height, she would be about 9 based on the scaling percentages Murgatroyd used. She's 12. Her best friend would scale to about 14 (give or take, I don't know exactly how tall she is)... she also is 12. I'd be 11 or 12 based strictly on Murgatroyd's scaling. Needless to say, it's been quite a while since I was 11. :) I had to verbally smack down some kids on a field trip who were teasing another girl who is significantly shorter than my daughter about her height. The kids I had to correct were almost all taller than I am. They were all in my daughter's class.

My point is not to discredit the work Murgatroyd has done, (which is great) but simply to point out that kids the same age can come in many heights, and especially if you're going to do a picture with several kids, you don't need to (and probably shouldn't) make them all the same height to be the same age.

• DWGDWG Posts: 772
    edited December 1969

As an example, my daughter is, like me, on the short side. Based on scaling Genesis to her height, she would be about 9 based on the scaling percentages Murgatroyd used. She's 12. Her best friend would scale to about 14 (give or take, I don't know exactly how tall she is)... she also is 12. I'd be 11 or 12 based strictly on Murgatroyd's scaling. Needless to say, it's been quite a while since I was 11. :)

Good point, I've got a couple of friends with sons who passed 6' round about their 12th birthdays. They still looked like 12yos, they just happened to be very stretched out 12yos who were several inches taller than either of their parents.

edited December 1969

My point is not to discredit the work Murgatroyd has done, (which is great) but simply to point out that kids the same age can come in many heights, and especially if you're going to do a picture with several kids, you don't need to (and probably shouldn't) make them all the same height to be the same age.

I agree completely. The numbers I gave were for the figures I posted, which were each designed to be right around the 50th percentile on height for their target ages. For variation, I've found it helpful to use not only the overall Scale parameter, but also the Legs Length, Torso Length, and Arms Length morphs in combination.

Murgatroyd... What morphs did you use for the male?, I read your info on the V5 version and was curious :) I haven't tried using D3 for scaling before, M5 and M4 vary in results.

What I meant by "D3 for scale" was that the adult figure in back is Genesis's D3 morph (the closest thing DAZ seems to have to an average sized adult male).

I used almost exactly the same morphs for the boys as for the girls, with the biggest difference being that where the 13 year old girl uses Basic Female at 0.3 plus a few more breast morphs, the boy uses Basic Male at 0.3.

edited August 2012

I see what you mean; Daz definitely bases its figures on the 'heroic' based Idealized stature/build/proportions. I definitely agree with you, D3 is much more realistic for the 'real world' adult male. I do like the M4 proportions and shape, since it’s reasonably close to your average adult male as well. M5 seems a little to Idealised in my opinion, a bit like M3.

DaWaterRat, I totally agree with you as well, Heights/Proportions vary considerably, not all males are 6'0" nor are all females 5'7", in all the art I’ve done much of my attention is close in detail to proportions and stature as individuals and not by the common socially 'idealized' bodies. Personally I love the fact that we vary so much as individuals both in stature and build, I'm 5'11" and admire shorter statures... Interestingly enough, if I chose my height I'd be shorter :) Yet many I know, who are shorter would rather be taller. All in all, the idealized stature/build/proportions are to be used only as a guide in my opinion. I think Murgatroid and Thorne have done a terrific job! They seem to have captured the youth very well in their models and renders :)

Post edited by SpyroRue on
  • RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,086
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I was about to say myself that it's clear DAZ structures their "Real World" on social and fashion model ideals. After all, that IS the genre Victoria and Michael have always been about. Other characters like Stephanie and David are merely complimentary alternative siblings with fundamentally leaner structures.

Also, in relevance to teens, Stephanie has now pretty much become DAZ's [female] teen model stand-in (as evident with the way S4 was supported). Because of this, I think S5 will prove rather filling of that role as well, and even more so in combination with Thorne's up-coming gem.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 1,976
    edited December 1969

Was playing around with Ashley M5 and wondered if this would be something anyone would want added in an update... may add in another body shape as well.

Ashley_M5_Update_-_Charlie.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 962K
    edited September 2012

Was playing around with Ashley M5 and wondered if this would be something anyone would want added in an update... may add in another body shape as well.

Definitely, he's awesome!, and nice scaleing too... Good teen morphs for M5/Genesis are near non existent atm... I've been eyeing off Ashely recently, a number of his morphs are enticing! If you're considering making a body shape for it Wow, yes lol.

Post edited by SpyroRue on
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 1,882
    edited December 1969

Absolutely! I didn't buy Ashley as he seemed too effeminate for the male characters I need to work with, however, this works extraordinarily well for a teen male.

Kendall

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,104
    edited December 1969

@Male-M3dia: yes, that would be great! :)

@Kendall: Ashley has a lot of different looks. Some of them are more effeminate than others. Personally, that's one of the things I like about him: so much versatility. His skin looks good on female characters too (and kids, I'd imagine, although I haven't tried that yet), and the head morphs can also be used on females, at lower concentrations.

My avatar is a mix of things--mostly Aiden for M5, including his skin--but I dialed in some Ashley, too (don't recall which specific morphs).

edited August 2012

Absolutely! I didn't buy Ashley as he seemed too effeminate for the male characters I need to work with, however, this works extraordinarily well for a teen male.

Kendall

Ashley's strength is the fact that he isn't a strong male character like other M5s (or the M4s which he originally came from). And also he could be used as a younger male or teen character (Brady and Danny are the youngest ones used in conjunction with "body 01 young".. .which is scaled much shorter than M5... just change out youthful hair and clothes and you got a younger character for your renders). He also can serve as a base for younger characters by mixing other morphs in as well. I played with mixing a portion of his morphs in with child and you get a much better child character because he doesn't have the strong facial features you get when mixing in other male characters.

Also the body shape in the render above is the "body 01 young"... took a bit to take out a lot of M5's muscularity.

Post edited by Male-M3dia on
    edited December 1969

I think he's fantasic for that 'very' reason :) It's great because it's so original and stands out... most characters for M5 focus on creating a very stong and muscular figure. In the real world, people vary, and it's great to see that. He seems like a very mixable character to play with! :)

edited December 1969

Good teen morphs for M5/Genesis are near non existent atm...

Yeah, if the texture allows it, I usually throw a younger morph into the set for just that reason. Braxton and Ryuu have younger morphs included in their sets, and there may be some popping up in future products as well. Anya has a younger morph as well, but I'm not as good with the female ones so I need to practice more ;).

edited December 1969

I love range, that's awsome that you do that! I've noticed many characters for genesis are oftern a single morph (With exception of the head) :D

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,738
    edited December 1969

I think he's fantasic for that 'very' reason :) It's great because it's so original and stands out... most characters for M5 focus on creating a very stong and muscular figure. In the real world, people vary, and it's great to see that. He seems like a very mixable character to play with! :)

I actually ran into that problem just yesterday.

"Why the heck this dude has painted on six-pack on his normal skin, I need someone who is flabby!" (One of the M5 skins that came in a pro bundle.)

edited December 1969

Well, to be honest, when I get the texture from JSGraphics, I usually make a bunch of morphs and say "Which one?"

ForbiddenWhispers and JS can't make up their mind, so a good chunk of them make it in! (I usually get cursed out for making so many though... icons and promos gotta be created for all that ;) ).

Not all of them make it; there's one poor morph that keeps getting booted... he got booted from Ashley International M4, then Santo, then Ashley M5! :ohh:

I think I finally found him a home though, he'll take the young adult position in this addon I'm finishing up. ;)

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:

I actually ran into that problem just yesterday.

"Why the heck this dude has painted on six-pack on his normal skin, I need someone who is flabby!" (One of the M5 skins that came in a pro bundle.)

Which skin is it? Generally speaking, painted on six packs don't seem necessary considering all the morphs available. Photoshopping can fix it if you got it :)

edited December 1969

Yeah, I know; I just couldn't be bothered to go through that much effort. It is James for M5 -- you can see it the best if you load the skin on blank Genesis, and then dial up something like "Pot-bellied" or "Pear-shaped". I ended up using a different skin that works better.

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,086
    edited December 1969

Say, now that S5 is out, can someone who has the morph show us how well the girl figure blends with her?

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    Yeah, I know; I just couldn't be bothered to go through that much effort. It is James for M5 -- you can see it the best if you load the skin on blank Genesis, and then dial up something like "Pot-bellied" or "Pear-shaped". I ended up using a different skin that works better.

God, yeah I see what you mean... I just opened the texture jpg... That is a plain photo of a six pack! Definitely unnecessary lol! Phillip M5 is probably better for what you want. :)

edited December 1969

God, yeah I see what you mean... I just opened the texture jpg... That is a plain photo of a six pack! Definitely unnecessary lol! Phillip M5 is probably better for what you want. :)

I needed a shiny bald head. :( Philip's head wasn't shiny enough. :( James had better one. Then I went back to M4 and grabbed "Aged M4" and used that one instead.

edited December 1969

Shiny bald head, haha! I love it!