Celebrity Look-a-Likes for 3D figures

1101113151650

Comments

  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 1,976
    edited December 1969

    Jabba101 said:
    Gedd said:
    Jabba101 said:

    Something not mentioned in any of these is the fact that they refer in every case I have ever heard of to direct photographic or video likenesses of the person in question. I have never heard of a case where a caricature or rendered image resulted in a lawsuit.


    the Ohio Bar page sites case of Tiger Woods suing an artist, albeit artist won the case...

    Q: Is a celebrity always successful in defending his or her right to trademark an image of the celebrity?

    A: No. There is an ever-present conflict between the celebrity’s ownership rights in his or her image and the right to freedom of expression protected by the First Amendment. The celebrity has a right of publicity, which enables the celebrity to prevent his or her image from being used in an unauthorized manner for profit. However, artists’ works are traditionally held to be protected under the First Amendment. In 1998, Tiger Woods’ management company, based in Cleveland, Ohio, sued an Alabama artist for marketing Tiger Woods’ image in a limited edition set of prints which depict Woods winning the Masters’ Tournament in Augusta, Georgia. The United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio held that Woods’ image was not protected by trademark law and that the First Amendment permits the artist to use, and profit from the use of, the image. Woods appealed the decision to the Sixth Circuit United States Court of Appeals, who affirmed the district court's opinion in 2003.

    I think this going to change as far as 3D likenesses in the future, especially in light of the pulling of the Bruce Will morph over at rendo.. and the revamping of those morphs from the same vendor. If you don't have the cash to defend yourself against lawyer action, then it's probably an area you'll want to steer clear of, if you plan on selling a likeness or using a likeness in a commerial product.

  • KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,843
    edited December 1969

    Salem2007 said:
    I see a lot of vendors making look-a-like morphs these days. I think these are fine for personal use, but I wouldn't feel to confident about using them for commercial use...how do those of you who frequent this thread feel?

    I'm (among other things) a fan-artist with a regrettable lack of the skills and abilities needed to convincingly replicate a character's face on a 3D figure, so I'm happy these are available. I'd be happier if my favorite characters were more likely to be supported. And I'd be a lot happier if vendors would be clearer in their promotional material about a product emulating a specific person or thing -- I'm not particularly culture savvy (I would've never known the recent PlatClub clothes were similar to those in Game of Thrones if other members hadn't enthusiastically pointed it out) and I have facial recognition issues -- it's far to easy for me to buy something because I like the look only to find out after rendering and posting that it means something drastically different to an unknown-to-me fandom.

    So a topic like this is extremely useful to me. As for commercial vs non-commercial use, people who put up emulating freebies will usually specify no-commercial-use for that very reason. People selling these have designed their products to be non-infringing, but that doesn't protect the clueless (and un-warned) purchasers from inadvertently using them in an infringing manner. This bugs me. (Which I've mentioned previously in a few related topics, but it's 11:30-ish here and I'm not tracking down links.)


    Found 'em. From the old forum: Emilie Autumn & the Noxi/Delirium/Delphia combo, Todd Lockwood's Mech Hunter & Kay Leathers, a general hashing, and Last Gladiator & Sin City's Marv.

  • robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,190
    edited December 1969

    As for commercial vs non-commercial use, people who put up emulating freebies will usually specify no-commercial-use for that very reason. People selling these have designed their products to be non-infringing, but that doesn't protect the clueless (and un-warned) purchasers from inadvertently using them in an infringing manner.

    This is exactly why I identify any such item that I recognize that I add to my various free-resources lists over in General Freepozitory. (If I've missed any, please let me know - in the appropriate Freepozitory thread, not here.)

    If one knows that an item might potentially be infringing, one can take steps to avoid infringement. If one doesn't know, one might end up infringing unintentionally...

  • ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

    Jabba101 said:
    Gedd said:
    Jabba101 said:

    Something not mentioned in any of these is the fact that they refer in every case I have ever heard of to direct photographic or video likenesses of the person in question. I have never heard of a case where a caricature or rendered image resulted in a lawsuit.


    the Ohio Bar page sites case of Tiger Woods suing an artist, albeit artist won the case...

    Q: Is a celebrity always successful in defending his or her right to trademark an image of the celebrity?

    A: No. There is an ever-present conflict between the celebrity’s ownership rights in his or her image and the right to freedom of expression protected by the First Amendment. The celebrity has a right of publicity, which enables the celebrity to prevent his or her image from being used in an unauthorized manner for profit. However, artists’ works are traditionally held to be protected under the First Amendment. In 1998, Tiger Woods’ management company, based in Cleveland, Ohio, sued an Alabama artist for marketing Tiger Woods’ image in a limited edition set of prints which depict Woods winning the Masters’ Tournament in Augusta, Georgia. The United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio held that Woods’ image was not protected by trademark law and that the First Amendment permits the artist to use, and profit from the use of, the image. Woods appealed the decision to the Sixth Circuit United States Court of Appeals, who affirmed the district court's opinion in 2003.


    Hmm, but is likeness a trade-mark right under US law? I find it hard to believe, after all a trade-mark has to be registered, and I have never heard of the right to one own likeness to need registration. Sounds like Tiger Woods lawyers argued for the wrong thing.

  • Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 861
    edited April 2013

    I would've never known the recent PlatClub clothes were similar to those in Game of Thrones if other members hadn't enthusiastically pointed it out

    Rule of thumb for the year 2013 (and the one before, and probably at least a couple years afterwards): if anything looks like generic fantasy yet has the words "Dragon", "Wolf" or "Lady/Lord" somewhere in the title (bonus points for a lot of snow and blood in the visuals), it is "inspired" by GoT. What a pity Todd Howard has already released TESV:Skyrim artistically "inspired" by the Conan remake!

    Sorry, I just couldn't help it.

    // and if you didn't catch the Todd Howard joke... it´s about a penchant of a certain gamedev company for releasing a new installment of their flagship game that looks suspiciously akin to the biggest "fantasy" blockbuster that came out last //

    Post edited by Mustakettu85 on
  • ArianeBArianeB Posts: 10
    edited December 1969
  • eyet33theyet33th Posts: 66
    edited December 1969

    hello, do you think this is Riki Lindhome?
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=98652

    it looks a lot like her i think!

  • RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 3,599
    edited December 1969

    Not sure who she is, but, the morph reminds me of Kristen Kreuk.

    CHEERS!

  • DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 1,726
    edited December 1969

    I find the likeness thing a major annoyance.... I dont follow hollywood ANYTHING. The few shows I watch? Doctor Who, Merlin.... british shows, or Taiwanese TV shows... So I never recognize characters from the US (rare exceptions, such as Angelina Jolie, but that's about it...) So i get frustrated if I end up buying a character that is "obviouslyl" someone famous but I don't know it... I'd prefer NOT to copy a celebrity unless i"m intentionally doing a fan art (also very rare....)

    I also have no idea what GoT means but fantasy revolving around hunters and wolves and magic have been around for ages and shouldn't be connected to just one show.

    My two cents....

    Btw if anyone finds a nice David Tennant, or Matt Smith, or any of the 9-10-11 doctor generation characters... I'd love them!

  • JabbaJabba Posts: 1,132
    edited December 1969

    GoT = Game Of Thrones

    ...haven't seen it myself either despite being told how much I'd love it - not gonna buy premium channels, that's money I can spend on more 3D content :D

  • Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 861
    edited December 1969


    I also have no idea what GoT means but fantasy revolving around hunters and wolves and magic have been around for ages and shouldn't be connected to just one show.

    Before it was a show, it was a series of novels. A Song of Ice and Fire by G RR Martin. Exceptionally well-written, yet the rocket to fame was obviously not fueled by Martin's technical prowess but by all the gratuitous sex'n'violence found therein. In a way, it's more horror-leaning-on-splatterpunk in a pseudomedieval setting. Anti-Tolkien yet mainstream.

    I much prefer the real anti-Tolkien stuff: China Mieville or - true'n'oldschool - Michael Moorcock. A more artsy approach to sex'n'violence coupled with leftist attitudes. What's not to love?


    Alright, I'm done ranting for tonight... Here, have a Lucy Lawless as Xena, everyone.

    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=98827&&AID;=408

    // BTW I'm also one of those who's watching this thread so as not to buy a likeness of an unfamiliar celebrity accidentally =) //

  • ArianeBArianeB Posts: 10
    edited December 1969

    Salem2007 said:
    I see a lot of vendors making look-a-like morphs these days. I think these are fine for personal use, but I wouldn't feel to confident about using them for commercial use...how do those of you who frequent this thread feel?

    So i get frustrated if I end up buying a character that is "obviouslyl" someone famous but I don't know it... I'd prefer NOT to copy a celebrity unless i"m intentionally doing a fan art (also very rare....)

    The upshot of 3D models that look like "celebrities", is that they also look like "real people". Well the ones without the exaggerated characteristics anyways. Many non-celebrity models look idealistic, which is the exact opposite problem of exaggerated characters, but also a problem.

    My solution is simple: I like to make characters by mixing and matching skins and shapes. My avatar is the head shape of a Gemma Arterton inspired model combined with the skin of a Evangeline Lilly inspired model. Result: a unique character who looks real and good looking, but not unrealistically ideal.

    I created another character using the head shape of Evangeline Lily and the skin of Cate Blanchette, and another using Angelina Jolie's skin with Michelle Fox's head shape. They all turned out awesome.

  • R25SR25S Posts: 417
    edited December 1969

    since all of you know so much look-a-likes characters and/or morphs maybe someone know where to find characters/morphs that
    look-a-like a young Megan Follows (like in Anne Of Green Gables Season 1) or an young Claire Danes (like in My So Called Life)?

  • eyet33theyet33th Posts: 66
    edited December 1969
  • scathascatha Posts: 562
    edited December 1969

    MRL Andromeda. (http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/mrl-andromeda/97844)

    Spitting image of Alexa Davalos from Clash of the Titans

  • AriahAriah Posts: 87
    edited December 1969

    All right, new one from odnajdy: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/fun-loving-stranger-for-v4-2/98859/

    I know i should know her, but I can't pinpoint the character. Perhaps the morph is changed due to celebrity-induced copyright thingy?

  • yoyodyne5yoyodyne5 Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

    Ariah81 said:
    All right, new one from odnajdy: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/fun-loving-stranger-for-v4-2/98859/

    I know i should know her, but I can't pinpoint the character. Perhaps the morph is changed due to celebrity-induced copyright thingy?

    I'm thinking it's like 80% Demi Moore, based on the eyebrows and eye color.

  • lface8lface8 Posts: 89
    edited December 1969

    Looks more like Lisa Rinna to me.

  • BarubaryBarubary Posts: 947
    edited December 1969

    my first impression was Charlize Theron.

  • yoyodyne5yoyodyne5 Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

    Barubary said:
    my first impression was Charlize Theron.

    There's already a Charlize Theron in the collection: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=97917

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 9,395
    edited December 1969

    lface8 said:
    Looks more like Lisa Rinna to me.

    That is exactly who it looks like! Before I read everyone else's ideas, I clicked on the link and thought "Lisa without the botox messup."

  • MDibbleMDibble Posts: 29
    edited December 1969
  • TheCastellanTheCastellan Posts: 509
    edited May 2013

    I find the likeness thing a major annoyance.... I dont follow hollywood ANYTHING. The few shows I watch? Doctor Who, Merlin.... british shows, or Taiwanese TV shows... So I never recognize characters from the US (rare exceptions, such as Angelina Jolie, but that's about it...) So i get frustrated if I end up buying a character that is "obviouslyl" someone famous but I don't know it... I'd prefer NOT to copy a celebrity unless i"m intentionally doing a fan art (also very rare....)

    I also have no idea what GoT means but fantasy revolving around hunters and wolves and magic have been around for ages and shouldn't be connected to just one show.

    My two cents....

    Btw if anyone finds a nice David Tennant, or Matt Smith, or any of the 9-10-11 doctor generation characters... I'd love them!

    Will this be of any use? http://sharecg.com/v/47925 He was really the only Doctor of the current series I liked, my second favorite, right after Tom Baker. :D

    Does anyone have a morph of Billie Dee Williams?

    Post edited by TheCastellan on
  • JabbaJabba Posts: 1,132
    edited December 1969

    A bit of a 'heads up' that there will be a new site to find high quality celeb inspired characters for V4/M4...

    Perhaps not the place you'd first think of looking, WarTech's site (a.k.a. FoRender) will be starting to host characters by an established vendor - who may or may not be pulling out of another vendor site - I'm not an insider so I don't actually know the politics, I just know a good thing when I see it!

    The first character just went live... http://forender.com/market/all-categories/character/product/864-restless-for-v4

    ...and if you log in, you'll be able to vote from a list for the next V4/M4 character (quite a wide range of options from the likes of Abraham Lincoln to the more typical Britney Spears etc) - http://forender.com/forum/product-polls-and-votes/282-famous-person-for-v4-m4-vote

  • ncampncamp Posts: 328
    edited December 1969

    Jabba101 said:
    A bit of a 'heads up' that there will be a new site to find high quality celeb inspired characters for V4/M4...

    Perhaps not the place you'd first think of looking, WarTech's site (a.k.a. FoRender) will be starting to host characters by an established vendor - who may or may not be pulling out of another vendor site - I'm not an insider so I don't actually know the politics, I just know a good thing when I see it!

    The first character just went live... http://forender.com/market/all-categories/character/product/864-restless-for-v4

    ...and if you log in, you'll be able to vote from a list for the next V4/M4 character (quite a wide range of options from the likes of Abraham Lincoln to the more typical Britney Spears etc) - http://forender.com/forum/product-polls-and-votes/282-famous-person-for-v4-m4-vote


    Is it just me, or is anyone else having trouble with the web page loading correctly?

  • ssbeyessbeye Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Look IE old version does works fine... use IE 10.... Internet Explorer always have some work to do compare to other GNU ones ))

  • JabbaJabba Posts: 1,132
    edited December 1969

    Oh, here's the main page just in case link above has something extra in it to do with me being logged in already... http://forender.com/

  • yoyodyne5yoyodyne5 Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

    OMG! This is a really close resemblance to Michelle Trachtenberg:

    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=99040

    For $3.50, it's a no-brainer.

  • joea64_bdfaa5ca94joea64_bdfaa5ca94 Posts: 231
    edited May 2013

    Jabba101 said:
    Oh, here's the main page just in case link above has something extra in it to do with me being logged in already... http://forender.com/

    I logged in with Firefox 20.0.1 and had no trouble getting to the poll page. FWIW, I voted for Adele since I don't think anyone's done a character for her yet.

    I'm not absolutely sure, but it looks as if odnajdy has found a new home.

    Post edited by joea64_bdfaa5ca94 on
  • lface8lface8 Posts: 89
    edited December 1969

    yoyodyne5 said:
    OMG! This is a really close resemblance to Michelle Trachtenberg:

    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=99040

    For $3.50, it's a no-brainer.


    I don't see the resemblance at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Rocket Fuel