DSON for Poser - Whats YOUR verdict ?

13»

Comments

  • Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 522
    edited December 1969

    Unfortunately, it's touch and go whether the clothing fits non base shapes in Poser.

    I've also found that sometimes Transfer Active Morphs makes it worse. It runs through ALL the clothing on the figure every time you run it. It would be nice if that could be changed to Transfer Active Morphs on only the selected clothing. You should see what happened to a helmet with wings on a figure with big ears. It was ... REALLY, REALLY hideous.

    nope, didn't know I had to. Just tried it and it helps some, still not perfect. Still a lot of poke through

  • LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,199
    edited December 1969

    So I will save a lot of money by not buying Genesis clothes and just painting everything in post work, ok

  • RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 3,599
    edited December 2012

    So glad you got your issues fixed. I checked out that auto adapted cache and there are loads of folders in there, however, if, as ps1borg says, you can't load saved scenes without them then I'll leave them where they are.

    I use this for poke through:

    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/poke-away

    Basically, it's a set of morphs for Genesis that shrink the X axis of any body part that is causing poke through. If you're over zealous it can look weird when say V5 is wearing a bikini, but, even that can look good in any pose if you're careful. The best way to use it is start low and gradually increase the value till all the poke through you want gone is gone. Look for morph dials that say XAway, those are for Poke-Away. DS made it a bit redundant with autofit, but it is still useful for Poser users.

    CHEERS!

    Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • GregoriusGregorius Posts: 0
    edited December 2012

    My experiments with the Genesis Bikini Top did not go well. I learned a few things, which although disappointing, may ultimately help me zero in on a solution.

    1) I cannot export the auto-morphed top alone as a CR2 from DAZ Studio. Exporting the OBJ results in the entire figure being welded and exported wholesale. Exporting the CR2 gives me just an unmorphed top. Editing the CR2 to reference the OBJ I manually exported results in a top that explodes when fitting is attempted

    2) I tried to transfer the rigging from a saved Genesis CR2 (originally imported via DSON and then re-saved) to the raw OBJ of the combined Genesis/Bikini figure, thinking I could just set Transparency to 1 for all the non-bikini material zones. The resulting skeleton is invariably taller than the mesh, with essentially everything below the waist matching up well but losing its way above the waist. Poser also crashes consistently when I attempt to return to the Pose room.

    3) I tried all this again after making turning off SubD for the Genesis base figure in DS before re-exporting the OBJ. Same results as above.

    4) Ordering Auto-Fit appears to give me access to the PDF manual (and a surprisingly short one at that) and nothing else.

    So, for now, Genni remains topless. I'm a guy, so I can't really complain at the moment :-), but I would like to properly clothe the poor girl eventually.

    Post edited by Gregorius on
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 1,972
    edited December 1969

    Gregorius said:
    My experiments with the Genesis Bikini Top did not go well. I learned a few things, which although disappointing, may ultimately help me zero in on a solution.

    1) I cannot export the auto-morphed top alone as a CR2 from DAZ Studio. Exporting the OBJ results in the entire figure being welded and exported wholesale. Exporting the CR2 gives me just an unmorphed top. Editing the CR2 to reference the OBJ I manually exported results in a top that explodes when fitting is attempted

    2) I tried to transfer the rigging from a saved Genesis CR2 (originally imported via DSON and then re-saved) to the raw OBJ of the combined Genesis/Bikini figure, thinking I could just set Transparency to 1 for all the non-bikini material zones. The resulting skeleton is invariably taller than the mesh, with essentially everything below the waist matching up well but losing its way above the waist. Poser also crashes consistently when I attempt to return to the Pose room.

    3) I tried all this again after making turning off SubD for the Genesis base figure in DS before re-exporting the OBJ. Same results as above.

    4) Ordering Auto-Fit appears to give me access to the PDF manual (and a surprisingly short one at that) and nothing else.

    So, for now, Genni remains topless. I'm a guy, so I can't really complain at the moment :-), but I would like to properly clothe the poor girl eventually.

    You'll probably have to fix any remaining pokethru with the morph brush. You're not able to rig anything in Poser for Genesis. It's possible that the bikini relies too much on smoothing and collision. Perhaps you could export the fix for the bikini as an obj, then load them into the bikini as fits using Morph Loader Pro and save the morphs. Then in Poser when you transfer morphs, you'll have a morph fits that shape that may work better.

  • RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 3,599
    edited December 1969

    It is possible to fit the bikini top in Poser. You load it, conform it, run Transfer Active Morphs and then do XAway_Body (Poke-Away) dialled to 0.040. The result is below.

    CHEERS!

    S5_Mamita_02.jpg
    588 x 600 - 119K
  • efron_24efron_24 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    sadly my verdict after months of trying to have it work is still negative
    very negative.

    These young teens.. FUN of course
    but their clothes look like pastique
    It shines.. it folds strange..

    horrible

    I see much more future for Crosstalk technique
    and think DAZ should no longer go on with Genesis and M5/V5 things

    The V4 and M4, especially with the Boom technologies by Iron man is giving us so much more

    Stop walking this side road and return to V4/M4 .. make them more prefect instead of start all over again.

  • ssgbryanssgbryan Posts: 690
    edited December 1969

    efron_24 said:
    sadly my verdict after months of trying to have it work is still negative
    very negative.

    These young teens.. FUN of course
    but their clothes look like pastique
    It shines.. it folds strange..

    horrible

    I see much more future for Crosstalk technique
    and think DAZ should no longer go on with Genesis and M5/V5 things

    The V4 and M4, especially with the Boom technologies by Iron man is giving us so much more

    Stop walking this side road and return to V4/M4 .. make them more prefect instead of start all over again.

    DAZ has no intention of dumping genesis. To do that, they would have to admit that they misjudged the market.

    Ain't gonna happen.

  • RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 3,599
    edited December 1969

    To my mind, the only major thing Daz did wrong was to make the original instructions for installing DSON very unclear, which left a lot of users confused as to how the product was to be installed.

    If installed correctly the eventual version of DSON does work, but the confusion as to why it didn't after following the unclear instructions is what has led to the majority of issues.

    Solutions also been presented by users that were able to get it to work and, due to others not bothering to read the whole thread, they needed reiterating several times. If there is an issue, the first thing one should do is search the forums to see if it has been reported by anyone. If it has, read the thread and try solutions provided.

    If you can't find your issue listed or can't seem to solve it by following solutions provided in threads then file a bug report. NEVER BE AFRAID TO ASK!!

  • Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 522
    edited December 1969

    Well ... we could get into a long winded discussion about all the things DAZ did (or does) wrong, but that list rather depends on whether you're a Poser, DAZ, or other user, and whether you're into Gen4, Genesis, or non-DAZ figures. Actually, the list of reasons why customers feel DAZ did them wrong would go on forever just by itself.

    As a Poser user, I was disappointed (maybe even extremely upset) when DAZ abandoned Poser compatible figure development for a figure system that was unusable in Poser. Now, over a year after the release of Genesis both Smith Micro and DAZ have implemented changes making it possible for Genesis to work in Poser, though it still needs a great deal of work. Anyone who has used Genesis in DAZ Studio and in Poser knows DSON is still lacking. But, after a year of purchasing less content from DAZ, I'm less inclined to care that DAZ went in that direction. Now when I see a clothing product I like but is Genesis Only, I tend to shrug rather than feel cheated.

    I find the Poser Morphing Tool is less effective on DSON clothing, and it is harder to see whether the pokethrough is actually fixed. But neither Transferring Active Morphs or the Poser Morphing Tool is going to fix mesh that is crumpled ... as sometimes happens with shoes/boots.

    Because of the problems with DSON, I may purchase the $1.99 Genesis PC products from time to time. Most of that will be clothing suitable to be worn by both male and female characters. But, I will rarely purchase Genesis clothing in the $15+ range ... though I have been known to purchase Gen 4 clothing in that range (those products were mostly made by vendors who are now exclusively Genesis).

    Well ... I'm going to go watch it snow now. And be eternally grateful it will be Wednesday before I have to go back to work. Driving in Philly in the snow in rush hour traffic is such a ... joy.

    Almost as much fun as DSON in Poser ...

    Rogerbee said:

    To my mind, the only major thing Daz did wrong was to make the original instructions for installing DSON very unclear, which left a lot of users confused as to how the product was to be installed.

    If installed correctly the eventual version of DSON does work, but the confusion as to why it didn't after following the unclear instructions is what has led to the majority of issues.

    Solutions also been presented by users that were able to get it to work and, due to others not bothering to read the whole thread, they needed reiterating several times. If there is an issue, the first thing one should do is search the forums to see if it has been reported by anyone. If it has, read the thread and try solutions provided.

    If you can't find your issue listed or can't seem to solve it by following solutions provided in threads then file a bug report. NEVER BE AFRAID TO ASK!!

  • Velvet GoblinVelvet Goblin Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

    Well ... we could get into a long winded discussion about all the things DAZ did (or does) wrong, but that list rather depends on whether you're a Poser, DAZ, or other user, and whether you're into Gen4, Genesis, or non-DAZ figures. Actually, the list of reasons why customers feel DAZ did them wrong would go on forever just by itself.

    As a Poser user, I was disappointed (maybe even extremely upset) when DAZ abandoned Poser compatible figure development for a figure system that was unusable in Poser. Now, over a year after the release of Genesis both Smith Micro and DAZ have implemented changes making it possible for Genesis to work in Poser, though it still needs a great deal of work. Anyone who has used Genesis in DAZ Studio and in Poser knows DSON is still lacking. But, after a year of purchasing less content from DAZ, I'm less inclined to care that DAZ went in that direction. Now when I see a clothing product I like but is Genesis Only, I tend to shrug rather than feel cheated.

    I find the Poser Morphing Tool is less effective on DSON clothing, and it is harder to see whether the pokethrough is actually fixed. But neither Transferring Active Morphs or the Poser Morphing Tool is going to fix mesh that is crumpled ... as sometimes happens with shoes/boots.

    Because of the problems with DSON, I may purchase the $1.99 Genesis PC products from time to time. Most of that will be clothing suitable to be worn by both male and female characters. But, I will rarely purchase Genesis clothing in the $15+ range ... though I have been known to purchase Gen 4 clothing in that range (those products were mostly made by vendors who are now exclusively Genesis).

    Well ... I'm going to go watch it snow now. And be eternally grateful it will be Wednesday before I have to go back to work. Driving in Philly in the snow in rush hour traffic is such a ... joy.

    Almost as much fun as DSON in Poser ...

    Rogerbee said:

    To my mind, the only major thing Daz did wrong was to make the original instructions for installing DSON very unclear, which left a lot of users confused as to how the product was to be installed.

    If installed correctly the eventual version of DSON does work, but the confusion as to why it didn't after following the unclear instructions is what has led to the majority of issues.

    Solutions also been presented by users that were able to get it to work and, due to others not bothering to read the whole thread, they needed reiterating several times. If there is an issue, the first thing one should do is search the forums to see if it has been reported by anyone. If it has, read the thread and try solutions provided.

    If you can't find your issue listed or can't seem to solve it by following solutions provided in threads then file a bug report. NEVER BE AFRAID TO ASK!!

    Exactly!

    It's not that we can't get Genesis to work in Poser. We can.

    We just can't get it to work very well.

    It needs serious improvement before sinking cash into Genesis clothing becomes a reasonable proposition.

    Hopefully Daz will continue with those needed improvements. But until they're implemented, claiming that the Genesis-in-Poser issue is now resolved is just wishful thinking.

  • LizzieP_D9SLizzieP_D9S Posts: 96
    edited December 1969

    I'm having trouble getting morphs to work on Genesis with DSON in Poser Pro 2012 and no one has answered my help thread. I don't want to double-post so I'll just link to the topic here. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14035/

    If anyone could help, I'd be very grateful!

  • KrewKrew Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

    Lizzie,

    I had the same problem when I installed the Young Teens. The dials were there but when I dialed them up, it only changed the scale of the character, and nothing else happened. April had several suggestions and one of them worked for me. The solution for me was to delete the auto_adapted folder and let DSON rebuild it. Please see posts 40 through 46 in this thread (pages 3 and 4) where April provided several suggestions. Not sure if you've seen those. Also note that someone reported that deleting the auto_adapted folder causes saved scenes not to load, so if you try this method, you might want to copy the files/folders to another location before deleting them so you can restore them if you need to.

  • RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 3,599
    edited December 1969

    Ok, if you want to see improvements, list them, either here or in a separate thread. Then file a feature request bug report, link to the suggestions and see if any of the suggestions can be implemented.

    It has been said that if you don't ask, you don't get

    CHEERS!

  • LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,199
    edited December 1969

    can i get a million dollars and a monkey?

    just testing the idea

  • RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 3,599
    edited December 1969

    LOL!

    It has to be said that it sometimes feels like Daz and Smith Micro have the money and we're the monkeys!

    CHEERS!

  • MardookMardook Posts: 175
    edited December 1969

    I regret installing and using it... its caused too many annoying error messages within DS, you know the drill.

    Duplicate IDs,
    start ups taking forever or
    saved DUF scenes taking anywhere from 15 to 5 minutes to load up with more error msgs about duplicate IDs, runtime this and thats, and bugs.

    I am going to have to uninstall everything and wipe the folders...
    then reinstall.
    re-register serials,
    sift through the endless files to install the correct versions of files and so forth to try and avoid the dreaded duplicate id whatyoumightcall it.
    "sigh" just thinking about it is making me depressed.
    Then after doing all that... I will likely have to fix any saved scenes that may not work correctly because of models being updated over and over. Oyyy...

    Funnily enough, Poser seems to not have any of this bitchy msging going on.

    "things that make you go hmmm..."

  • MardookMardook Posts: 175
    edited December 1969

    Rogerbee said:

    LOL!

    It has to be said that it sometimes feels like Daz and Smith Micro have the money and we're the monkeys!

    CHEERS!

    I was one of those people (monkeys) that bought studio 4 pro when it was launched... can you imagine how much of a heel I felt like when it was offered freely a month later.

    Fool me once... shame on you!

    Fool me twice... I'll marry your mother!!

    (;P

  • FixmypcmikeFixmypcmike Posts: 11,651
    edited December 1969

    mardook said:
    I regret installing and using it... its caused too many annoying error messages within DS, you know the drill.

    Duplicate IDs,
    start ups taking forever or
    saved DUF scenes taking anywhere from 15 to 5 minutes to load up with more error msgs about duplicate IDs, runtime this and thats, and bugs.

    I am going to have to uninstall everything and wipe the folders...
    then reinstall.
    re-register serials,
    sift through the endless files to install the correct versions of files and so forth to try and avoid the dreaded duplicate id whatyoumightcall it.
    "sigh" just thinking about it is making me depressed.
    Then after doing all that... I will likely have to fix any saved scenes that may not work correctly because of models being updated over and over. Oyyy...

    Funnily enough, Poser seems to not have any of this bitchy msging going on.

    "things that make you go hmmm..."

    No error messages because the versions that give Duplicate ID errors are the pre-DSON versions, which won't import into Poser via DSON.

  • RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 3,599
    edited December 1969

    So,

    I'm considering getting DS in the next few weeks, so, in theory, anything I install/download will be post DSON, perhaps more so if I install the latest beta right afterwards. Are there any potential issues I should be aware of!?

    CHEERS!

  • ThetaGraphicsThetaGraphics Posts: 6
    edited December 1969

    I'm having the same issue that Krew was having with the Young Teens. However, the solution that fixed your problem doesn't appear to be working for me. I have repeatedly deleted the files that appear in auto_adapted/content_files (only had one Genesis.cr2 in the first place, but decided to remove the created Teen cr2s in case they were corrupted as well) and cleared the DSON cache folder... yet every time I try to load Julie or Justin (or even Genesis to use the teen morphs) I still just end up with a slightly smaller version of the Genesis base form.

    I also have V5 and M5 which both work fine. (In fact, DSON seems to work fine for me in every instance except for the teens.)

    ... :-S

  • polmearpolmear Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Well, I never thought it would be a perfect match, but I am pleasantly surprised. Making custom morphs in DS seems to be pretty simple and using them in Poser is no drama.

    I have noticed a couple of things though.
    IK in Poser doesn't seem to work with Genesis, which makes some aspects of posing a little more laborious.
    If you want to add a new morph to a character, you need to reload the character from the figures library after installing the additional morphs, which is OK except for when you want to update existing scenes - it means setting up the character from scratch again, I'm prolly doing it wrong.
    Clothes, well, I still have to practise converting clothes but that's just me.
    When making poses for Genesis in Poser, I have to manually edit the PZ2 'target figure' setting to reference Gen4 characters instead of the automatically named geometry figure, otherwise weird things happen when reapplying the morph. Just another step but a bit of a nuisance.

    Reusing old textures, tick
    Improved bends, tick
    Mesh smoothing, tick
    Multi UVs, tick


    Overall, pretty good, 7.5/10, Smiley Sticker

  • polmearpolmear Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Kerya said:

    Awesome!! Thanks for the link. I should have guessed it'd be something straightforward.

  • SpaceRaySpaceRay Posts: 33
    edited December 1969

    mardook said:
    I regret installing and using it... its caused too many annoying error messages within DS, you know the drill.

    Duplicate IDs,
    start ups taking forever or
    saved DUF scenes taking anywhere from 15 to 5 minutes to load up with more error msgs about duplicate IDs, runtime this and thats, and bugs.

    I am going to have to uninstall everything and wipe the folders...
    then reinstall.
    re-register serials,
    sift through the endless files to install the correct versions of files and so forth to try and avoid the dreaded duplicate id whatyoumightcall it.
    "sigh" just thinking about it is making me depressed.
    Then after doing all that... I will likely have to fix any saved scenes that may not work correctly because of models being updated over and over. Oyyy...

    Funnily enough, Poser seems to not have any of this bitchy msging going on.

    "things that make you go hmmm..."

    No error messages because the versions that give Duplicate ID errors are the pre-DSON versions, which won't import into Poser via DSON.

    Sorry to bump this thread back again but I am now reinstalling everything again from zero in a new hard drive and having a fresh start and I will be the first time using the DSON with Poser 2012 Pro.

    So from this information, is supossed that with the new DAZ Studio 4.5 (latest version) and using the new DAZ Install Manager, there would not be any problems using this DSON be Poser, or there is something I am missing?

    Thanks

  • icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,444
    edited December 1969

    Installing the latest DS 4.5 and DSON via the DIM is no guarantee the importer will work without a problem.

    Issues with Poser and DSON and various versions of Poser have ranged from none to library lock ups to the various problems that have already been discussed.

    Before you let the DIM install your content, read the Wiki. If you are mainly a Poser user, you may not want your content installed to the default location.

Sign In or Register to comment.
Rocket Fuel