Can we PLEASE get an updated Powerpose for Genesis (and 2) now? *NEEDS UPDATING FOR G3F*

Comments

• BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 2012

Hi folks, i did another powerpose template. This one's for Anime Girl Kristin, a figure created by Chris Schell. You can download her for free on his site http://www.schells.ca/. The powerpose template is on my ShareCG : http://www.sharecg.com/v/66374/gallery/9/Plug-in/PowerPose-Template-for-Anime-Girl-Kristin

And since i was at it, i decided to do a tutorial on powerpose templates as well. I'll try to post fast enough, so that the parts don't get scattered throughout the thread.

Edit : some of the xml-tags got messed up cuz they matched forum formatting. Look in the files for correct syntax, don't copy-paste from my forum post...

Post edited by BlackFeather1973 on
    edited December 1969

First, let's take a look at the PowerPose directory and the files in it.
    In the Daz Studio installation directory is a folder called plugins, and in that folder you'll find the PowerPose directory. Now, what do we have in here, and what are we going to do with it ?

The PowerPose-plugin itself : dzpowerpose.dll
    Obviously the most important file, but we're not gonna mess around with that one.

The dynamics files : bipedDynamics.dsx and dragonDynamics.dsx
    Not sure how these work, if you do, please share the knowledge ;-) I guess they describe the dynamics of the bones, as in stifness/sensitivity of the motion ? I do assign them to each new template, but i don't mess around in them either.

The templates file : templates.dsx
    This file tells PowerPose wich templates are available, and what figures to use them on. We'll add our homebrew templates to this file.

And the actual templates : eg. genBody.dsx, genBody.png, genHead.dsx, genHead.png, ...
    They're what you actually see in Studio when using PowerPose, the images with the dots that select and control the bones. We'll create these from scratch.

All the *.dsx files are XML-files, wich basically means they hold structured and organized data in a plain text file. You can create/edit them in any plain text editor, but i prefer to use an xml-editor. You can find these for free on the internet. I use foxe (First Object XML Editor), it's free and it's easy to use.

plugin_folder.png
    978 x 574 - 129K
  • wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 2012

You should change your name to PowerPoseFeather :)

looking forward to doing your tutorial!

Post edited by wancow on
    edited February 2013

PowerPose automatically selects different templates when you select different figures in Daz Studio. That happens because of the templates.dsx file.

The basic structure of the templates file :
    * template_suite
    * title
    * default_set
    * default_label
    * tplset
    * tplset
    * tplset
    * tplset
    * tplset

PowerPose will look in the tplsets for the name of the selected geometry (the obj file), then loads the right tplset. If it doesn't find the geometry name, it will load the tplset defined in default_set (e.g. Generic). Each template set (tplset) can have multiple tabs. The value in default_label decides wich tab to show when a tplset is loaded (e.g. Body).

The structure of a tplset :
    * tplset
    * name
    * dynamics_file
    * geometry
    * template
    * label
    * file
    * template
    * label
    * file
    * template
    * label
    * file

The different templates in here will be the tabs of your powerpose-template, with label being the name of the tab, and file a *.dsx file containing all info for that tab (background image, position of the dots and how they affect wich bones).
    We'll add our tplset at the end of the templates.dsx file, just above the line .
    For our anime girl Kristin the tplset is build up like this :

agKristin
    bipedDynamics.dsx

kristin

Edit : When you reinstall/update DS, the templates.dsx will be overwritten with the original file. Make sure you have a backup of the modified file, or you'll have to edit the templates file manually again.

templates_dsx.png
    878 x 534 - 70K
    edited December 2012

And now the fun part : making pictures for the template :-)
    The old powerpose templates were 200x300, but i decided to make my templates 300x450 considering modern screen resolutions. So, fire up Daz Studio and make some nice renders for the template. Usually you'll make three : body, hands and head. I don't use a background, and save as png with transparancy, then the templates will integrate nicely in the user interface.

Ok, so let's open up one of our dsx files (e.g. agkBody.dsx) and look at the structure :

* template_file
    * version
    * bg_file
    * bone_data
    * xpos
    * ypos
    * bone_name
    * jump_tab
    * prim_map
    * prim_map_dir
    * scnd_map
    * scnd_map_dir
    * tert_map
    * tert_map_dir
    * bone_data
    * bone_data

The entry bg_file refers to the image to be displayed for that tab, and there's a whole bunch of bone_data entries : as the name implies there is one for each bone that you want to control, but they're also used for jumping to other tabs (body, head, hands).
    Each bone_data will be represented by a dot on the powerpose-template, with xpos and ypos being the position of the dot on the background image.

Here's how you use them to switch tabs :

Head Template
    Head
    < prim_map/>
    < prim_map_dir/>

The 'map' and 'map_dir' are not needed here, the tags are empty. Maybe < prim_map>--None-- would be a
    better tag in this case, or maybe you can leave them completely out, don't be afraid to experiment. The worst i've had happen was DS crashed when i clicked a dot.
    The text in bone_name will be displayed as tooltip-text when the mouse hovers the control-dot.
    The jump_tab says wich tab we want to go to. Remember, we defined this earlier in the templates.dsx file.

agkHead.png
    300 x 450 - 82K
    agkHands.png
    300 x 450 - 93K
    agkBody.png
    300 x 450 - 76K
    edited December 2012

For controlling bones, we need the three maps and directions :

Head
    --None--
    < prim_map>yrot
    < prim_map_dir>pos
    xrot
    pos
    zrot
    neg

As said before, xpos and ypos are the position of the control-dot.
    In the tag bone_name we write, well, the name of the bone we want to control, you can see the correct name in the scene tab. In prim_map, scnd_map and tert_map we write the parameter of the bone we want to change. This will most likely be yrot, xrot and zrot for the three rotations.
    Feel free to experiment, find other cool stuff to do with this and let me know what you found ;-)
    The parameter in < prim_map> will be affected by left-clicking the dot, and moving the mouse left-right.
    The parameter in will be affected by left- or right-clicking the dot, and moving the mouse up-down.
    The parameter in will be affected by right-clicking the dot, and moving the mouse left-right.
    By setting the corresponding map_dir to 'pos' or 'neg' you can change the direction of the rotation.
    When setting these parameters, i try to make it 'feel right'. It won't feel right if you move the head sideways by moving the mouse up and down, or vice versa.

AGKristinPowerPose.png
    930 x 540 - 228K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 7,852
    edited December 2012

On with the tut...

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited December 2012

Congratz if you've made it this far, i can imagine it got a little boring at certain points, but now you can make your own PowerPose templates too ! Well, almost. There are a few things that can go wrong, some bumps in the road ahead. Here are some errors to look out for.

If there is a bone wich name is the name of another bone with something added to it, you must define that bone in the dsx-file before the other bone. For example, genesis has a bone named 'Abdomen 2' and a bone named 'Abdomen', you must assign 'Abdomen 2'to a control-dot before you assign 'Abdomen' to a dot. If 'Abdomen' comes first in the *.dsx file, it will be assigned to the 'Abdomen 2' bone.

Two dots on different tabs of the same template should not have the same x and y position, powerpose will get confused. It's best that they don't even overlap eachother.

And sometimes it just goes wrong, no logic involved, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. With that said, i'll conclude my tutorial. Have fun, experiment, share your results, and if you have any questions, just ask.

Happy PowerPosing :-D

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 3,440
    edited December 1969

Congratz if you've made it this far,

Happy PowerPosing :-D

Thanks for sharing the steps. You happened to get it up with limited commercial breaks. Congratz.

edited December 1969

And now go back in and edit all the weird formatting issues... :lol:

edited December 2012

And now go back in and edit all the weird formatting issues... :lol:

Dang....and I posted my 'why can't we...' right in the middle of all this. Sorry about that...

And here's the 'interruption'...moved to the end.

I've been installing/uninstalling DS a bit lately (namely trying the last couple of beta releases...), and one thing I've noticed and this should probably be high-lighted somewhere...

When you install a new version of DS/reinstall you need to re-do the 'fix'. The Templates.dsx file WILL be over-written with the 'default' version and you will be left without the Genesis specific additions, again.

Alternately, you can make a backup copy of the altered file and then just overwrite the default, once you've installed/updated DS.

The unistaller/installer will leave the additional files alone, it just removes/overwrites the Templates file with default version.

Now, on to a couple of other things...

There used to be several other add-ons/figures for PP. Most of them are no longer available (Scare Bear is one that still is).

I was wondering if we could start a community effort to make some more figures available (I kind of remember one for the MilHorse...but maybe I was dreaming).

Something else...

I've always thought that part of the DAZ philosophy was to provide basic (or slightly more) functionality with an extensible interface, a robust SDK and let the community develop/spread add-ons/plugins/new functions.

When did we, as a community, decide that everything should now be DAZ? (yeah, lack of plugin updates for the DS4/4.5 cycle has some influence on this...)

Yeah, we do have a few third-party items around and lots of good scripts by mcj, but what about other things? Like this? Why can't we take this and expand it? Make it a really useful tool...instead of something that is 'just there', collecting dust? I know that one of the reasons I seldom used it, is because the lack of figures...there's a bazillion ready made poses for the base figures but really how many sets are there for the dog? cow? other figures?

Even a couple more 'generic' items would help.

I guess this part isn't really needed, now, thanks to BlackFeather...

edited December 2012

Oh and here's a list of what used to be available from Dreamful...

http://www.dreamful.it/3d_forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=16

Here's the one for the Scare Bear 2.0

http://netherworks-studios.com/shoppe/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=86

edited December 1969

I hope i got all the mistakes out, can't tell for sure. I prepared the whole thing in one sitting and now i'm too exhausted to re-read it properly.

mjc1016 said:
    Oh and here's a list of what used to be available from Dreamful...

http://www.dreamful.it/3d_forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=16

Here's the one for the Scare Bear 2.0

http://netherworks-studios.com/shoppe/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=86

Too bad they're all gone. I set my templates on 'unrestricted use' at ShareCG, that way they'll always be available as long as anyone has them.
    Downloading the scare bear template now, even though i don't have the bear.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited January 2013

nebbermind... forgot the edits I need to do, mystoopid :P

Post edited by wancow on
  • creativemodelsbecreativemodelsbe Posts: 0
    edited February 2013

First, let's take a look at the PowerPose directory and the files in it.
    In the Daz Studio installation directory is a folder called plugins, and in that folder you'll find the PowerPose directory. Now, what do we have in here, and what are we going to do with it ?

The PowerPose-plugin itself : dzpowerpose.dll

can you create this tutorial in a pdf file please?
    really don't like reading tutorials spread in trheads on a forum.

thx

Post edited by creativemodelsbe on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 7,246
    edited December 1969

creativemodelsbe: are you asking for a tutorial because you want to powerpose some other figure?
    If you want to do it for Genesis, you can download it here: http://www.sharecg.com/v/66074/browse/9/Plug-in/Genesis-Template-for-PowerPose
    Blackfeather made one for the AnimeGirl too:
    http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=BlackFeather1973

edited December 1969

thx

Sure, creativemodelsbe.
    Then i can fix the broken xml-tags as well, so one can copy/paste from the pdf-tutorial.
    You can expect the pdf-tut to be up in a few days. I'll post a link here.

• creativemodelsbecreativemodelsbe Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

thx

Sure, creativemodelsbe.
    Then i can fix the broken xml-tags as well, so one can copy/paste from the pdf-tutorial.
    You can expect the pdf-tut to be up in a few days. I'll post a link here.

thx

edited December 1969
  • kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 1,973
    edited December 1969

now,,, I can not use this great powerpose template ,,, I am windows 7 user,,

last month,,, after updated to newest version ds,, , I thought power poze template has changed,,
    then today,, I check the file,, and re-write again,,

but genesis template never change,,,

I did same step,, and re download the file from share cg,,and copy and paste, then change template code.
    but this time,, when select genesis,, it keep the defult pic,, and not new template(><)

and it seems strange,,when I try to copy and paste from other directory to ds program folda,,
    it never change^^; I try same thing again and again,, delete file in powerpoze,,
    then copy and paste,, or paste and overwrite,,

but open the file by text editor,, the file did not chage ^^;; as if ghost return,,,

I compare two file,, but it is actually differnt,, but when I copy and paste,,
    the pasted file never change ><;

only when I edit code manually,, it can keep the modify.

edited December 1969

Yes, Windows7 can cause some trouble there, it wants to protect the Program Files directory (it's called UAC virtualization). I had similar problems when i was editing the files myself, i'll tell you how i solved it.

First, you need to give yourself permission to change files in the powerpose directory :
    Right-click on the PowerPose directory, choose Properties, go to the Security-tab and click Edit. Select Users and check the box called Full Control.

If you tried to change files before you had this permission, Windows makes a copy of the original file and uses that copy instead of the changed one. You will probably have to delete that copy, it should normally be in C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\powerpose. You can delete the powerpose directory there.

Now you should be able to make the changes in the files.

I hope this helps, kitakoredaz. :)

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 1,973
    edited February 2013

Ya,,thank your reply,, now I have been checking virutual store problem in web^^;
    before I heared that,,

I find,,, only the powerpoze template.dsx file only set as virutal store file,,:coolhmm:
    it seems so strange,,,

then now I can copy and paste from other directory,,, to

C:\Users\mysign\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\PowerPose

after that,, the template.dsx in program folda cahge,,

then,,, I could edit (could not copy and paste,, or delete)
    because,, before I changed folda permission to change files in the powerpose directory already,,
    (I read your kind PDF many times ^^; so that I could when first install and apply your dsx files,,)

then this time ,,it can not work for me,,,,, so that I will try to delete in vertula store directory,
    as you said ,,

============================
    Yes Yes Yes,,,first change permission,, then,, I must need to delete
    C:\Users\mysign\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\PowerPose
    directory,,,

after that,, I edit file,, the file modified date are renew!!!

what a terrible virtual store ^^;;; I do no know why it need,,, , but terrible,,

then,, now I get buck the lovely templates @@; thank you much!!!
    (about windows,, I thought install aprication to another directory seems better,,
    when install under program directory,, this problem may happen,, about files which user need modify)

any way thank you much,, if I could not,, I will check more ^^;

Post edited by kitakoredaz on
    edited December 1969

I think when you re-install DS, for Windows it becomes a new directory and you have to set permission again.
    Else when you change the file in Program Files it jumps to VirtualStore, and when you delete/change the VirtualStore then the original file jumps back to Program Files.
    It almost drove me crazy, before i knew about the virtualization.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 6,206
    edited December 1969

As I recall to change that file I removed it from the protected program area ... edited it ... then put it back. And it worked fine.
    Sometimes even with permissions granted, W7 protects the Program folders.

• marco95marco95 Posts: 24
    edited December 1969

Hi,

I just found this topic
    (Curiosly, search "PowerPose" on the forum don't find this topic ???!!!)

Thank-you for your Tuto :-)

I have post the bug :
    https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=50741

In effect there is to anomaly in the script.

1- In the script it's rToe and not rBigToe so why it don't work?
    2- For abdomen, ok it's work but why with an uppercase on the beginning (Abdomen), why use label and not name or id in this case ???

Genesis.duf :

"id" : "abdomen2",
    "url" : "/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/Genesis.dsf#abdomen2",
    "name" : "abdomen2",
    "label" : "Abdomen 2",

genBody.dsx in C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\PowerPose\ :

76        289        rToe....                100        106        Abdomen 2        --None--        yrot        pos        xrot        pos        zrot        neg                100        116        Abdomen...

For information

Marc

edited December 1969

Thanks for the feedback, marco95.
    To be honest, i made this quite a while ago so i'm not sure anymore why i did things one way or the other. If i recall correctly i used the names of the nodes like they showed up in the scene tab in DS4.0
    Are some bones not responding anymore ? (I haven't used powerpose myself in a while, posing with Pose Controls has taken over now)

• marco95marco95 Posts: 24
    edited December 1969

Yes but Pose Controls bug :
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/25483/
    so I come back to powerpose ;o)

edited December 1969

marco95 said:
    Hi,

I just found this topic
    (Curiosly, search "PowerPose" on the forum don't find this topic ???!!!)

Thank-you for your Tuto :-)

I have post the bug :
    https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=50741

In effect there is to anomaly in the script.

1- In the script it's rToe and not rBigToe so why it don't work?
    2- For abdomen, ok it's work but why with an uppercase on the beginning (Abdomen), why use label and not name or id in this case ???

Genesis.duf :

"id" : "abdomen2",
    "url" : "/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/Genesis.dsf#abdomen2",
    "name" : "abdomen2",
    "label" : "Abdomen 2",

genBody.dsx in C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\PowerPose\ :

76        289        rToe....                100        106        Abdomen 2        --None--        yrot        pos        xrot        pos        zrot        neg                100        116        Abdomen...

For information

Marc

Just did a quick check, the genesis template we made still works fine. (Genesis template for PowerPose)
    The file you're looking in (genBody) is not for genesis but a generic template, used by powerpose if it finds no dedicated template for the selected figure.

• mdlark1966mdlark1966 Posts: 28
    edited December 1969

Just wanted to join the chorus thanking you for all your hard work in updating this essential tool. Why DAZ has failed to do so themselves is beyond me.

In any event, I'm so happy to have PowerPose for my Genesis figures! Thank you!

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 1,205
    edited December 1969

Do you think it would be possible for this fix to be updated to work with Genesis 2 since DAZ STILL HAS NOT FRICKIN' FIXED IT? I tried putting it back in on the latest Studio beta, but it doesn't seem to work for Genesis 2 (just Genesis 1).

Thanks. :)