- - Spyro's Render Thread and Projects - -

1101113151618

Comments

  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 4,924
    edited December 1969

    WIP Trousers - Adding pockets to the geometry.

    Ok, taken me quite a while, but here is the pants with the pockets, I've added additional seams as well.

    Left the fly till last, as I'm going to have to break the Symmetry to do it correctly.

    Fell free to comment :)

    (And thanks Gedd :) )

    Pants_Pockets_6_forum.png
    2000 x 1041 - 5M
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 2,521
    edited December 1969

    Spyro said:
    WIP Trousers - Adding pockets to the geometry.

    Ok, taken me quite a while, but here is the pants with the pockets, I've added additional seams as well.

    Left the fly till last, as I'm going to have to break the Symmetry to do it correctly.

    Fell free to comment :)

    (And thanks Gedd :) )

    Taken a while...lol...I still havent finished what I started before you began. Seems quick to me...

  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 4,924
    edited December 2012

    LMAO... I had alot of errors along the way, as you know, I've had to rebuild several times... For me to be working on one item for like a week now, it's feeling like eternity . haha!

    I have been working on it pretty much full time... I shudder to think that I gotta UV Unwrap all this after.

    Post edited by SpyroRue on
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 2,521
    edited December 1969

    Spyro said:
    LMAO... I had alot of errors along the way, as you know, I've had to rebuild several times... For me to be working on one item for like a week now, it's feeling like eternity . haha!

    I have been working on it pretty much full time... I shudder to think that I gotta UV Unwrap all this after.

    Since I got UV layout I've not found it too bad. Finally got DS and Hexagon installed so I suppose that should be next.

  • DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 386
    edited December 1969

    I just found this thread, but haven't viewed it's entirety yet (thank you Scott-Livingston for the link). I will catch up later...


    Spyro:

    Just wanted to say very nice work, and very inspirational. Your work is outstanding.

    I have only seen your modeling start on the boots, and my first thought was wow, are you really high-poly facet modeling that thing? Now, that's dedication.

    I look forward to reading the entire thread, and view all the progress, as well as your future progress.

  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 4,924
    edited December 1969

    Thanks man! Yes, the boots were made from a single plane with 4 Verticies, 4 edges (The size of one face on the boots model). The boots did not use MSmooth or Subdivision or any other smoothing modifier. As such, it will be edited to include all these newly learned features. Search 3ds max Plane modeling on youtube... And that's how I made the boots.

    I'm glad you like them, and enjoy my thread... What started out to be my render thread really became a projects thread lol. (I may need to split the two and have a separate thread for my actual renders)

  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 4,924
    edited December 2012

    Pants WIP - Extra Details

    So, I have added more detail to the pockets.

    I've added belt loops (Although, it's not necessary for Spyro... It was ideal to add such details for the product to be used in parts... Since mix and match is somewhat common in peoples work.)

    To Sickles delight, I have added a workable fly which can be opened with future morphs, rather similar to Sickles work :) - Inspiration came from Sickles Morphing Business Suit pants. This is the point where I have broken the symmetry, therefore I must be very careful when adjusting the geometry of the pants.

    I've added MSmooth to the model, effectively dividing the faces into four, (Doubling the resolution of the "cage" which means I can add higher detail to the mesh which is no longer sub divided 2x it is now sub divided once)

    Like all my WIP's each colour represents a separate material zone.

    Pants_7_Rot_ForumScale.png
    2000 x 971 - 6M
    Post edited by SpyroRue on
  • bighbigh Posts: 5,410
    edited December 1969

    Spyro said:
    Pants WIP - Extra Details

    So, I have added more detail to the pockets.

    I've added belt loops (Although, it's not necessary for Spyro... It was ideal to add such details for the product to be used in parts... Since mix and match is somewhat common in peoples work.)

    To Sickles delight, I have added a workable fly which can be opened with future morphs, rather similar to Sickles work :) - Inspiration came from Sickles Morphing Business Suit pants. This is the point where I have broken the symmetry, therefore I must be very careful when adjusting the geometry of the pants.

    I've added MSmooth to the model, effectively dividing the faces into four, (Doubling the resolution of the "cage" which means I can add higher detail to the mesh which is no longer sub divided 2x it is now sub divided once)

    Like all my WIP's each colour represents a separate material zone.

    great looking - real cool

  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 4,924
    edited December 2012

    Thanks Bigh!

    Here it is with the drop-leg strap clips :)

    Some minor adjustments need to be made on the straps to avoid the poke through, but it should be easy fix :)

    Then it's onto UV Unwrapping and Rigging... Both of which I'm kinda dreading lol

    Pants_7_clips.png
    1524 x 1849 - 4M
    Post edited by SpyroRue on
  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 4,924
    edited December 1969

    WIP Pants - Testing Shaders

    Ok, long long long process of UV mapping is deemed complete... At least for now. I've also weight mapped the pants.

    I'm playing with shader settings atm. Trying to find the right surface settings for the base texture set. I'm certainly NOT done with textures, in fact, I haven't yet shaped the texture, it's just a flat texture with no bump, and no curvature or any highlights/fades/shading in the texture. (Just for reference).

    I'm not sure If I'm allowed to use HSS, I would like to though. Not sure how that would go if it's installed on someones computer that dont have it? :-S (Not even sure if Daz allows products to use shaders that aren't the daz default) - Btw I dont know if HSS is a default shader of Ds.

    Anyway, this is what I'm up to :-P

    Pants_Shader_Testing_fb.png
    1000 x 1000 - 462K
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,100
    edited December 1969

    This is coming along very nicely! I don't recall having ever seen a clothing product packaged with HSS presets, but since characters often are, I don't see why clothes couldn't be as well. HSS comes with all versions of DS4 and I believe it was bundled with some versions of DS3 but not earlier releases. It, however, is not the same as the "Default Shader."

  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 4,924
    edited December 1969

    what I like about HSS is the multiple channels eg. spec 1 spec 2 and my fav one 'velvet'

    I could use Uber Surface, though, I had to buy it to get uber 2

  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 4,924
    edited December 1969

    Trying out adding stitching to the texture. It will take a while to line everything up right, but the test proves it will work.

    Looking at this test render... I think I will make some adjustments to the model.

    1- Add a geometry seam, running from the back, vertically to the bottom of the fly.
    2- Fix some of the belt loops that aren't lined up properly.
    3- give more depth to the geometry seam that runs horizontally across the upper backside where the back pocket flaps are attached. They seem to have lost their depth to the sub devision.

    Pants_Shader_Testing_v5_STITCHING.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 501K
  • SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,738
    edited December 1969

    That's really frigging nice, Spyro! I sense a new bright star rising!

  • IvyIvy Posts: 1,693
    edited December 1969

    Those pants looks great spyro/ you did a wonderful job on them.. I can;t wait too see the rest of the outfit :)

  • DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 386
    edited December 1969

    Looking spectacular!

  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    All I can say is HOLY SHI%!! Great work.

  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 4,924
    edited December 1969

    Lol - Thanks very much guys, this is what keeps me going! :)

    I've added the fixes (listed in my previous post), and am weight mapping the next version. Though I'm finding it somewhat more difficult to do, since the added seem that connects the back to the bottom of the fly tends to want to stretch. My attempts to fix that distortion in weight map are not going so well :( - But at least I can fix the crotch distortion when the legs are raised. (Many commercial pants don't do this well at all) I shall keep playing :)

  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 2,521
    edited December 1969

    Spyro said:
    Lol - Thanks very much guys, this is what keeps me going! :)

    I've added the fixes (listed in my previous post), and am weight mapping the next version. Though I'm finding it somewhat more difficult to do, since the added seem that connects the back to the bottom of the fly tends to want to stretch. My attempts to fix that distortion in weight map are not going so well :( - But at least I can fix the crotch distortion when the legs are raised. (Many commercial pants don't do this well at all) I shall keep playing :)


    Beautiful work Spyro...

  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 4,924
    edited December 2012

    Thanks very much Pendraia :)

    --------------

    So, I was playing with textures, and looking at how other products use textures and so on... I found displacements were common and I started to paint one up... Then it got me thinking... "The mesh is sub divided, its also high resolution... Why worry about displacement painting to get the extra ripples in the pants when I could use all the verts I got in paint deformation, and paint directly into the geometry." SO... I DID :-P

    I gotta say, pant deformation really brought it to life. Heres a quick render.

    Now I will worry about texturing itty gritties and use displacement to bring the stitching and detail of the fabric to it's fullest.

    --------------

    On another note... Soooo not looking forward to doing FBM's. It certainly needs them. Spyro's figure not so much (Who has been the model for all this) M5, M4, V5, V4, S5 need it badly. H5? My god, that's a whole different story, if any figure could destroy my model, it's Hiro. And I wont even go there with F4. :-S

    Pants_Base_Texture_WIP2-4_DETAIL_TEST_b.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 162K
    Pants_Base_Texture_WIP2-4_DETAIL_TEST.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 167K
    Post edited by SpyroRue on
  • MistyMistMistyMist Posts: 15,179
    edited December 1969

    wrinklies makes look so real!

  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 4,924
    edited December 1969

    lol thanks Misty! the top will be just as wrinkly if not more than the pants (which is a stiffer fabric)

  • bighbigh Posts: 5,410
    edited December 1969

    Spyro said:
    Thanks very much Pendraia :)

    --------------

    So, I was playing with textures, and looking at how other products use textures and so on... I found displacements were common and I started to paint one up... Then it got me thinking... "The mesh is sub divided, its also high resolution... Why worry about displacement painting to get the extra ripples in the pants when I could use all the verts I got in paint deformation, and paint directly into the geometry." SO... I DID :-P

    I gotta say, pant deformation really brought it to life. Heres a quick render.

    Now I will worry about texturing itty gritties and use displacement to bring the stitching and detail of the fabric to it's fullest.

    --------------

    On another note... Soooo not looking forward to doing FBM's. It certainly needs them. Spyro's figure not so much (Who has been the model for all this) M5, M4, V5, V4, S5 need it badly. H5? My god, that's a whole different story, if any figure could destroy my model, it's Hiro. And I wont even go there with F4. :-S

    great job - very cool look

  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 4,924
    edited December 1969

    WIP Tunic - Modeling Commenced

    Just thought I'd post what I've done of the outfits top. I started modeling it yesterday, and decided to post my progress. I'm rather happy with how the mesh has came together. It flows in the same directions as I intend to have the ripples, seams and creases. Took a while to nut out the mesh for the under tunic as it's an "open design" not closed like the upper tunic.

    Before divideing the mesh to double the resolution, I'm trying to work out how to go about the sleeves as I intend to have it worn/torn like in the concept design. I dont like the idea of trans maps for such a large area on the model, So I'm doing some research to see how torn fabric is made in the geometry and to see if it's worth modeling in.

    I'll be wielding on the tunics loin cloth area later on, which will be made with a back face (Where the tunic isn't) so that when posed, you wont have a paper thin loincloth.

    --------------------------
    Thanks Bigh!

    WIP_Spy_Tunic_1.jpg
    1396 x 775 - 435K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    That looks great. I think to get that tattered and torn look you are looking for you will have to subdivide the lower sections that you wish to add the details to. That should work without running up your mesh count for the entire item. I hope that might help you some.

  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 4,924
    edited December 1969

    Yeah it's intended to be subD... Considering Sub Division works with curves and the model must remain in a grid like fashion , I wasn't sure how well it would go with tattered style geometry. The pants are sub D and when I re-do the boots they will be the same. :)

  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Spyro said:
    Yeah it's intended to be subD... Considering Sub Division works with curves and the model must remain in a grid like fashion , I wasn't sure how well it would go with tattered style geometry. The pants are sub D and when I re-do the boots they will be the same. :)
    I think you misunderstand me. If you need to add more geometry to just one area of your mesh you can do that. Then for that one area you have more polys to play with. Nobody ever said everything has to be the same from top to bottom.

  • GeddGedd Posts: 2,444
    edited December 2012

    You could try displacement maps for the holes/tears etc... Something I planed on trying in DS but haven't yet, so not sure how well it works.

    If you try it, here's something to keep in mind "Sharp lines in disp maps, can cause normal problems, since a renderface can be requested to move only one of it's verts a great distance relative to the other 2-3. You tend to get better results if a small gaussian blur is run on the image first." from: Blender.org

    Post edited by Gedd on
  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 4,924
    edited December 1969

    @Jader - That's true :) I just know that I could make the boots better with new techniques I've learned. I like SubD as it really boosts the organic feel to the items. SubD in all my test exports to Daz seems to flow a lot better with the weight mapping and poses than non-sub divided meshes. Even the crisp details on the surface turn out much crisper with it :)

    @Gedd - I'm just concerned that Displacements wont achieve the holes in the fabric, just create indents and extrusions. Good for creases and what not in the fabric on lower poly models... great for stitching! and worn out area's of the fabric that isn't torn revealing a hole.

    I think the testing phase will really tell if I've gone too high poly... But I'm aiming for clothing that actually looks good in close ups. Most clothing degrades the render if you get too close... That's also a common issue with shorter trans mapped hair.

    I still have much to learn, this is all experience for me... Long have I dreamed of creating characters in 3d from my art to 'Video game promotional' standards, now It may at last be coming true for me :)

  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 4,924
    edited December 1969

    WIP Tunic Update 2 - Testing subD

    I'm going to tackle modeling in prominent torn edges an holes in the fabric... But will make lots of use with dismemberment textures to give it extra tattered effects. I researched game models that used torn and tattered outfits. Sleeves in particular have modeled it into the geometry, any loose flowing areas, such as dynamic hanging fabric used Opacity maps (Which I intend to avoid as it makes the model look paper thin in mid to close ups) I also note the use of displaced geometry (But that is likely of more use for character models that is ONE model with clothing built into that same model, Daz don't work that way, the figure is always separate from the clothing) And people like to mix and match clothing, so it would be ideal, that I create these items separately as best I can.

    Anyway... Just checking Sub Division on the model, I wanted to make sure the collar was looking good, and that the under tunic was smoothing good. I'm happy with it :) I also started work on the arm bands, I'll be applying Paint Deformation to it later down the track. Not sure If I'm going to wield the arm bands to the tunic... due to its proximity to the elbow joint, I'm seriously considering it, but If I do, I'll do it late into the tunics modeling.

    WIP_Spy_Tunic_2.jpg
    1159 x 627 - 143K
Sign In or Register to comment.
Rocket Fuel