...issue with unisnstaller in Genesis/DSON updates

kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 16,118

..OK so to deal with the pesky Duplicate ID" error (which hosed the texture map on one of my characters recently) I have taken it upon myself to reset, re-download and reinstall all my Genesis content - a lengthy task indeed.

So when I began installing the updated files the other night I noticed that the uninstall routine in the "new" version behaved rather oddly. The normal uninstall dialogue box appeared, I clicked on "yes" after which the process sat there for a moment and then completed the installation. There was no progress monitor for the uninstall routine, no dialogue box that indicated the uninstall was complete. I fired up the .exe for said content again just to make sure it had the correct instal path (which it did) than cancelled the action so as not to install it again.

So, this makes me wonder, what exactly happened? Did it simply just bypass the uninstall routine and instead install over the new version over the older one (which is not a good thing as it will no doubt lead to continual occurrences of the Duplicate ID error) ? I am reluctant to do any further updating until I can get an answer on this, thus any 3D work has pretty much been on hold for the last week.

Comments

  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 7,788
    edited December 1969

    If the files have the same name and are in the same location, then installing over top doesn't matter...

    The duplicate IDs are contained within the individual data files, not within something that DS keeps track of, in the registry/database or anything like that. Directly overwriting the problem file with the fixed version is a perfectly acceptible 'fix'. I believe that's what the script does..rewrites the existing file and resaves it, after making unique IDs in it.(I've got a few items that I need to run through the script....but haven't, yet)

    If they are not the same name/same location, not uninstalling the old version will create a real mess, as there will be two versions installed. This should be a rarity, as the most likely content to have changed location is the included content, and that was fixed in the original Starter Essentials content pack for 4.5...

  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 16,118
    edited December 1969

    ...but then why isn't the uninstaller behaving like it should? That says to me there is another issue afoot.

  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 7,788
    edited December 1969

    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...but then why isn't the uninstaller behaving like it should? That says to me there is another issue afoot.

    That is the $64 question...

    Any particular product that sticks out?

    The few I've run, lately, worked 'right' with a progress bar and all that, so it could be a Windows thing too...because I'm on WINE and don't have all the Windows related stuff going on (including AV interference).

  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Well, I'm not going to cut corners here, I'm sure your not going to like this but it's what I did. (I'm an A type by the way.)

    Step 1. Find Uninstaller for Said product. Run it Before thinking of running the Updated file. (Opps.. No Uninstaller.)
    Step 1-b. Re-install my backup file of old file with Make Uninstaller option.
    Step 2. Do step number one again.
    Step 3. Boot DS and Look for the Content, Forcing a Database update. (I use Catagories), Exit DS.
    Step 4. Install Updated content File. Boot DS, Update MetaData, If no Update Re-Import Metadata.
    Step 5. Look for installed Content.
    Step 6. Next file.

    As I said I'm an A type, I'll not say how many times I made a backup of my Database as I did this.

  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 16,118
    edited December 1969

    ...I make sure that all content installs with the uninstaller as well. Some may think it is a waste of HD space but the old adage "better safe than sorry" makes a lot of sense to me.

    This only started with the new DSON core updates. With previous content updates, the uninstaller behaved properly. The files involved were from the V5 Pro Bundle: V5 core figure & Tori character.

    I tried Jaderail's method and still do not get a progress monitor or dialogue that says the uninstall completed successfully except when I run the uninstaller by itself.

    I have not changed any OS settings so that shouldn't be the cause.

    I don't install the Metadata files as I have disabled the CMS to conserve processor/memory resources (in the Task Manager processes tab I saw it was taking up a huge chunk of RAM) but that shouldn't be the reason either, and again, older content uninstalls properly.


    ...this is the kind or rubbish that makes me wish I could afford a personal IT tech.

  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 7,788
    edited December 1969

    All the uninstaller does is DELETE the files...so, go and check the folders. If they are empty it did its job...

  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 16,118
    edited December 1969

    ...the only issue with that is after the uninstall routine "completes", the new version is installed in its place.

    Ended up submitting a support ticket on this.

Sign In or Register to comment.
Rocket Fuel