Luke and Laura for Genesis, Genesis Teen Renders

Comments

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,182
    edited December 1969

Now available on ShareCG.

This has been updated since the test version, so testers may also want to download this version.

Changes:
    Now includes head morphs.
    Added two extra chest morphs for the girl: one flat, one rounded to avoid the braless look with tight shirts.

I don't suppose these will work in DS4?

Some of us haven't been able to upgrade to 4.5 yet.

• Cybersox13Cybersox13 Posts: 3,125
    edited November 2012

adacey said:

I'll admit that I'm not too familiar with the Luke/Laura/Matt/Maddie characters or what's available with them but based on the complaints I've seen about the lack of kid/teen appropriate clothing for Genesis I'm thinking auto-fit targets for these figures would make a lot of sense for anybody who has a library of older clothing that they'd like to use with Genesis.

It does make a lot of sense for anyone with a existing library. However, keep in mind that Daz is in the business of selling content, and at the moment there is very little Luke/Laura product left in the Daz store. Introducing a Genesis figure that lets customers use old clothing without having a lot of new product to sell at the same time runs counter to Daz's best interest, and would actually steer a lot of business to other stores and freebie sites. On the other hand, if Thornes teens were to be put on the market at the same time as Luke/Laura forms for Genesis, as well as upgraded versions of some of the old clothes, that would probably be enough in potential sales to justify the development cost... and the time required to put that all together would be one possible explanation as to why Thorne's teens have been sitting in limbo for so long.

Post edited by Cybersox13 on
  • MurgatroydMurgatroyd Posts: 585
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    Now available on ShareCG.

This has been updated since the test version, so testers may also want to download this version.

Changes:
    Now includes head morphs.
    Added two extra chest morphs for the girl: one flat, one rounded to avoid the braless look with tight shirts.

I don't suppose these will work in DS4?

Some of us haven't been able to upgrade to 4.5 yet.

I don't know. They were created in 4.5, and I'd been assuming that like most files 4.5 creates, they weren't backward compatible, but on examination, they're DSF files, not DUF. You could try installing them and let me know if they work.

edited December 1969

I installed them, but I can only find and use:-

Actor/Female/Real World/Tween Girl
    Actor/Male/Real World/Tween Boy

None of the others show up anywhere. I've searched everywhere but they won't show.

• Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 321
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:

None of the others show up anywhere. I've searched everywhere but they won't show.

I had the opposite problem that I couldn't find the above at first because they are in Parameters. I found the others in the Shaping tab. Have you done a search on "tween" whilst having All selected in the Shaping tab?

I didn't have much time to explore these shapes, but I did like the boy's face, which I thought was excellent. The body shapes are rather bland, but as Murgatroyd said before, they may be intended as a starting point. I set up a scene which looked very promising, but will not have the opportunity to render it until the weekend.

edited December 1969

wilmap said:

Actor/Head/Female/Real World/Tween Girl Head
    Actor/Head/Male/Real World/Tween Boy Head
    Actor/Upper Body/Torso/Female/Real World/Tween Girl Flat
    Actor/Upper Body/Torso/Female/Real World/Tween Girl Rounded

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 16,194
    edited December 1969

...any teen/preteen character should be more "generic", (like Murgatroyd's Tweens) allowing the artist to create the individual "personality" through use of morph controls and/or combining aspects of other "characters". This is the whole beauty of the Genesis figure.

To create the latest version of Leela, I used:

Steph4 (via GenX - primarily for the extra body morphs and NPMs)
    Princess
    Genesis Basic Child
    Vicky5
    Mavka

In some cases seemingly "contradictory" morphs (like Basic Child and Steph 4 "Lanky") were used to adjust proportions as the Child shape also affects torso and hip volume/scaling while "Lanky" adds that bit of "ungainly" stature many pre/young teens have.

Yes it is a lot of effort that will of course become moot once Thorne's Teens or Daz's L/L5 are finally released, but until then, as others have said, this is all we have to work with for now.

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 4,951
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:

These are all the places mine shows up.

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 1,150
    edited December 1969

Quick way to locate them woulkd be to use the filter on the word "tween" after selectiong "all" in the parameters or shaping tab

edited December 1969

Well I have searched using "tween" and still they won't show up.

They are there in the folder along with the other morphs, but nothing I do finds them!

• andolaurinaandolaurina Posts: 576
    edited December 1969

Do I have to do anything special to make these work on Poser Genesis?

edited December 1969

I don't know. Why don't you try them and find out.

• andolaurinaandolaurina Posts: 576
    edited December 1969

Hee hee. OK. I'm a Poser 2012 nut so I'm always nervous with the D|S stuff. But I'll see how it goes and let you know! :-)

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Here's one I just finished, using a mishmash of morphs for Genesis (child, Basic female, Victoria 5, Aven, Stephanie 4, and Reby Sky, with breast small at 1). I haven't picked up Oskarson's morphs yet. Using the morphs, the figure was scaled down to 88%, so I had to scale her down a little more (aiming for 4' 8, which may be a little shorter than my daughter currently)

It's my daughter's character for my current pirate game, and approved by her. Like her, the character is supposed to be 12, and I would trust her to know what 12 is "supposed" to look like. :)

That is a stunningly beautiful character!

edited December 1969

I keep noticing files going away with DS4.5. I'm re-installing it. I installed V5, and all my M5 and Genesis Presets under the People Tab (In Smart Content) disappeared!

I can NOT see these:

I can, however, see these!

edited November 2012

wancow said:
    I can NOT see these:

I can, however, see these!

All of them show up in the Parameters tab. I just checked, and my Shaping tab (which I never use) matches what you describe.

(I wonder if this has the same root cause as the problems in DS4.0...)

Post edited by Murgatroyd on
    edited December 1969

Daz moved all the morphs to parameters since 4.0 - The announced that morphs were originally supposed to be in the parameters not shaping. I'm not sure if they intend to move it back or not. But you get used to using parameters :)

edited December 1969

Well I wish they would all show themselves in my Parameters tab. I still can only see the two Body morphs!

edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    Well I wish they would all show themselves in my Parameters tab. I still can only see the two Body morphs!

That is very odd. Are you using Ds 4.5 or Ds 4?? I'm Ds4.5 and I see it all. Have you tried re-installing it?

edited December 1969

I'm still using DS4 and yes I reinstalled it and they still won't show anywhere. I can only see the ones I mentioned earlier.

edited December 1969

Is there anything stopping you from upgrading to 4.5? It could be because genesis has been upgraded. Eg. Genesis Starter essentials is now at 1.6 - Not sure what GSE# Murg uses... But if Murg uses a later upgraded genesis then some morph issues may happen for those who use an earlier version.

edited December 1969

Also... The required product : Genesis Evolution has also been upgraded and could be another impacting factor to your current problem.

edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    Also... The required product : Genesis Evolution has also been upgraded and could be another impacting factor to your current problem.

If the full body morphs look right when applied, this isn't part of the problem.

edited December 1969

Hmmm. Well other than that, I have absolutely no idea why it isnt appearing for Wilmap.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 2,013
    edited December 1969

4.5 files aren't backward compatible with 4.0. The specification for DSON is in 4.5.

More items will be 4.5 only in the future (mainly because those can get the Poser companion files generated for them), so it's really time to start looking at upgrading. Our future products will be 4.5 only as it's way too much work to do 4.0, 4.5, and the poser files and still charge a fair price the items. Also it looks like HSS in 4.5 is supporting normal maps (unlike 4.0) so we may be moving forward with that, so we're not doing bump and displacement maps.

edited December 1969

Yes, they are in the parameters tab, Murgatroyd! Thanks for the reminder :)

edited December 1969

4.5 files aren't backward compatible with 4.0. The specification for DSON is in 4.5.

More items will be 4.5 only in the future (mainly because those can get the Poser companion files generated for them), so it's really time to start looking at upgrading. Our future products will be 4.5 only as it's way too much work to do 4.0, 4.5, and the poser files and still charge a fair price the items. Also it looks like HSS in 4.5 is supporting normal maps (unlike 4.0) so we may be moving forward with that, so we're not doing bump and displacement maps.

What's the go with normal maps? I still use bump and occasionally displacement for the older characters.

I's it something similar to Displace? Or is it actually affecting the geometry or something?

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 2,013
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:

What's the go with normal maps? I still use bump and occasionally displacement for the older characters.

I's it something similar to Displace? Or is it actually affecting the geometry or something?

Basically, displacement actually moves geometry (which could cause pokethrough in clothing), where normal does the same thing without moving the geometry.

edited December 1969

Now that's use full! Does that mean it looses the realism of displacement? where for example, a vein displacement is actually 3 dimensional in the render, and if you were looking at it from the side it actually is an extrusion.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 7,936
    edited December 1969

Normal maps use and RGB color map to represent the 3D space...so, think of it as a kind of 'hologram' for the surface being rendered.