Who names hurricanes?

JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 846
edited October 2012 in The Commons

OK.... I'm watching the news. New hurricane on the east coast.... Hurricane Sandy.

What?

...Sandy?

Are they serious?

I mean.... is it me? Or does Sandy seem like an exceedingly friendly and sweet name for a brutal and terrifying hurricane? I don't get it. :question:

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on

Comments

  • Salem2007Salem2007 Posts: 387
    edited December 1969

    I sense a light-hearted nature to your question, but I actually recall reading somewhere that rules exist for the anming of hurricanes and the names are pre-determined.

    Here is something close to what I remember reading:

    Hurricane Names

  • JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 846
    edited December 1969

    I am being a little bit light-hearted....but Sandy still seems like it sounds too friendly to be the name of a hurricane... I still wanna know who thought that was a good one...lol


    ...but hey!! That was really very interesting! Thanks for sharing it. :)

  • Salem2007Salem2007 Posts: 387
    edited December 1969

    but Sandy still seems like it sounds too friendly to be the name of a hurricane

    You and I know a very different Sandy :cheese:

  • Paradigm67Paradigm67 Posts: 960
    edited December 1969

    I'm in New Hampshire and they already canceled classes at local Universities for Monday & Tuesday... lol

  • Salem2007Salem2007 Posts: 387
    edited December 1969

    I'm in New Hampshire and they already canceled classes at local Universities for Monday & Tuesday... lol

    They must be expecting something pretty bad, then. Better safe than sorry...

    I keep hearing about a "Frankenstorm", but I haven't paid much attention.

  • JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 846
    edited October 2012

    Salem2007 said:
    but Sandy still seems like it sounds too friendly to be the name of a hurricane

    You and I know a very different Sandy :cheese:

    :lol: :lol: :lol:

    I'm in New Hampshire and they already canceled classes at local Universities for Monday & Tuesday... lol

    Seriously? Oh my! ...that's kinda scary... It's friday night here...well..technically it's barely Sat morning...but... yeah... be safe!

    Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • AmeesaAmeesa Posts: 247
    edited December 1969

    I am being a little bit light-hearted....but Sandy still seems like it sounds too friendly to be the name of a hurricane... I still wanna know who thought that was a good one...lol


    ...but hey!! That was really very interesting! Thanks for sharing it. :)

    Since my RL name happens to be Sandy, I thank you. Generally I'm one of the friendly sort, though shy enough that it takes a while to see exactly how friendly. I don't watch much TV or listen to much radio, so my first news of it was from a Second Life friend who asked me what I was doing in Jamaica.

    On a more serious side, please take care, all who are in it's path.

  • EbahrEbahr Posts: 0
    edited October 2012

    Salem2007 said:
    I'm in New Hampshire and they already canceled classes at local Universities for Monday & Tuesday... lol

    They must be expecting something pretty bad, then. Better safe than sorry...

    I keep hearing about a "Frankenstorm", but I haven't paid much attention.

    (BTW, on topic: I like the name Sandy, but every time I hear it I keep expecting the soundtrack to Grease to be playing in the background. )

    It's looking like it could be pretty bad- The press keeps stating that it is not hype, and they have never seen anything like it before, too. I'm in NYS, and they have already declared a state of emergency here, even though it's not supposed to hit my area till about 2 AM Wed EST.

    People here in the NE US, they keep saying be prepared JIC. Here's a good link for that: http://www.ready.gov/basic-disaster-supplies-kit

    “There will be school closures, travel will be messed up for days and major airports will be closed,” Henry Margusity, senior meteorologist with AccuWeather, said. “This could be a disaster of biblical proportions — a multi-billion-dollar disaster.” Winds in the storm’s outlying areas are expected to gust as high as 80 miles per hour, he said. - (Hurricane Sandy may force evacuations in NYC, Virginia, N.C. declare emergencies; NYSE making contingency plans ) - http://www.marketwatch.com/story/frankenstorm-has-financial-centers-on-edge-2012-10-26

    For info, see also:
    Weather Experts Swear They Are Not Overhyping the ‘Once in a Lifetime’ Frankenstorm [Updated] - http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/10/frankenstorm--hurricane-sandy-hype-overhyped.html

    If Sandy Becomes 'Frankenstorm,' It Could Be Worst In A Century - http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/10/26/163690889/if-sandy-becomes-frankenstorm-it-could-be-worst-in-a-century

    Emergency in NY as ‘Frankenstorm’ Hurricane Sandy approaches US - http://zeenews.india.com/news/world/united-states-braces-for-superstorm-hurricane-sa_807832.html

    Post edited by Ebahr on
  • TjohnTjohn Posts: 7,394
    edited December 1969

    OK.... I'm watching the news. New hurricane on the east coast.... Hurricane Sandy.

    What?

    ...Sandy?

    Are they serious?

    I mean.... is it me? Or does Sandy seem like an exceedingly friendly and sweet name for a brutal and terrifying hurricane? I don't get it. :question:


    Yeah, Hurricane Sandy has a similar sound like Hurricane Buddy would have.
    And who would be scared of Hurricane Clem?

  • JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 846
    edited October 2012

    ....messed up my edit...

    Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 846
    edited October 2012

    Ebahr said:
    Salem2007 said:
    I'm in New Hampshire and they already canceled classes at local Universities for Monday & Tuesday... lol

    They must be expecting something pretty bad, then. Better safe than sorry...

    I keep hearing about a "Frankenstorm", but I haven't paid much attention.

    (BTW, on topic: I like the name Sandy, but every time I hear it I keep expecting the soundtrack to Grease to be playing in the background. )

    lol...EXACTLY!

    Sandy is some sweet, young, innocent with wildflowers in her hands and barrettes in her hair, right? :)


    Since my RL name happens to be Sandy, I thank you. Generally I'm one of the friendly sort, though shy enough that it takes a while to see exactly how friendly. I don't watch much TV or listen to much radio, so my first news of it was from a Second Life friend who asked me what I was doing in Jamaica.

    On a more serious side, please take care, all who are in it's path.

    @ Ameesa: Well, see!!! You just make my point -- cuz you are really sweet! :) :)



    Yeah, Hurricane Sandy has a similar sound like Hurricane Buddy would have.
    And who would be scared of Hurricane Clem?

    haha! Well....I don't know -- Hurricane Buddy might be a little scary sounding....lol

    In all seriousness, though... I hope it doesn't become much of anything... and people stay safe.


    (...whew...too many edits...I'm a moron)

    Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • DWGDWG Posts: 772
    edited December 1969

    NOAA Storm Central: http://www.noaa.gov/stormcentral/

  • macleanmaclean Posts: 1,006
    edited December 1969

    The one thing I do I know is that they use male/female names for hurricanes in alternate years. So there was Hurricane Irene, and now Hurricane Sandy.

    I assume 'Sandy' is the male version of that name? I live 6,000ft up a mountain, so hurricanes aren't exactly a priority for me.

    mac

  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 19,352
    edited December 1969

    maclean said:
    The one thing I do I know is that they use male/female names for hurricanes in alternate years. So there was Hurricane Irene, and now Hurricane Sandy.

    I assume 'Sandy' is the male version of that name? I live 6,000ft up a mountain, so hurricanes aren't exactly a priority for me.

    mac

    The names alternate m/f through the year, not between years.

  • bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 489
    edited December 1969

    If I remember correctly, hurricanes are named in alphabetical order, so the first storm of the year will be given a name that begins with 'A', the second with 'B', and so forth. I think they also alternate male/female, and then flip (so one year the first named storm will have a female name, the next year the first will have a male name, and so on).

    There's a pool of names, and particularly destructive storms are 'retired' from the pool. So there won't be another Hurricane Katrina, for example.

    Cyclones are named according to a similar scheme, but the sequence is separate. So, for example, if you'd had three hurricanes and then a cyclone came along, the cyclone would be named 'A______' rather than 'D_______'.

    Names were originally female only, but now they alternate between male and female names.

    "They used to only name hurricanes after women, but then they realized that was sexist ... After all, men can be just as powerful and awe-inspiring as women." [Dog, "Footrot Flats"]

  • ajmartiajmarti Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Well my friends.. Sandy may sound friendly indeed, but i live in the Dominican Republic and we had a taste of Sandy!
    I say just a taste because this storm didn't even hit us directly it's been a nightmare!.

    I tell you one thing it's SCARY!. Even though here, we're used to hurricanes and tropical storms and worse considering Sandy wasn't even a hurricane when start hitting us last Wednesday that thing flooded our country.
    - it's been heavy raining 4 days in a row!!

    By yesterday just when we thought it was over and after a slight beautiful morning, things went back from scary to terrifying!
    That thing IS a Frankestorm!. Winds were so strong destroyed huge signs, and i mean huge heavy signs, bridges, and not to mention the water!. Cars floating everywhere!

    Today, Saturday morning it's still unusually cold, windy, cloudy and showering. Sandy it's a very strange violent storm!

    So please all you guys up there in New Hampshire or in it's path... TAKE GOOD CARE!. Be safe!.
    AJ

  • JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 846
    edited October 2012

    ohmygoodness....

    Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear about the damage, but glad to hear you are OK. Take Care everyone!

    Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • LillianaLilliana Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    I"m in the path of Sandy...

    And boy is she resembling my ex-mother-in-law.

    Right now we are preparing for two weather events, a cold front and the Full moon, where the tides are the highest.

    For those looking at the map, my town is in the Armpit of Massachusetts, literally. I sit on the eastern Rhode Island Border and in front, RI is the next town over from me.

  • BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    angusm said:
    If I remember correctly, hurricanes are named in alphabetical order, so the first storm of the year will be given a name that begins with 'A', the second with 'B', and so forth. I think they also alternate male/female, and then flip (so one year the first named storm will have a female name, the next year the first will have a male name, and so on).

    There's a pool of names, and particularly destructive storms are 'retired' from the pool. So there won't be another Hurricane Katrina, for example.

    Cyclones are named according to a similar scheme, but the sequence is separate. So, for example, if you'd had three hurricanes and then a cyclone came along, the cyclone would be named 'A______' rather than 'D_______'.

    Names were originally female only, but now they alternate between male and female names.

    "They used to only name hurricanes after women, but then they realized that was sexist ... After all, men can be just as powerful and awe-inspiring as women." [Dog, "Footrot Flats"]

    Getting techhie here; A hurricane is a tropical storm that develops in the Atlantic and Northeastern Pacific Oceans (North America), a typhoon is one that develops in the Northestern Pacific Ocean and cyclones develop in the Southern Pacific & Indian Oceans.

  • JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 846
    edited December 1969

    Lilliana said:
    I"m in the path of Sandy...

    And boy is she resembling my ex-mother-in-law.

    Right now we are preparing for two weather events, a cold front and the Full moon, where the tides are the highest.

    For those looking at the map, my town is in the Armpit of Massachusetts, literally. I sit on the eastern Rhode Island Border and in front, RI is the next town over from me.

    Ohmy! Stay safe, Lilliana!!!

    BWSman said:
    If I remember correctly, hurricanes are named in alphabetical order, so the first storm of the year will be given a name that begins with 'A', the second with 'B', and so forth. I think they also alternate male/female, and then flip (so one year the first named storm will have a female name, the next year the first will have a male name, and so on).

    There's a pool of names, and particularly destructive storms are 'retired' from the pool. So there won't be another Hurricane Katrina, for example.

    Cyclones are named according to a similar scheme, but the sequence is separate. So, for example, if you'd had three hurricanes and then a cyclone came along, the cyclone would be named 'A______' rather than 'D_______'.

    Names were originally female only, but now they alternate between male and female names.

    "They used to only name hurricanes after women, but then they realized that was sexist ... After all, men can be just as powerful and awe-inspiring as women." [Dog, "Footrot Flats"]

    Getting techhie here; A hurricane is a tropical storm that develops in the Atlantic and Northeastern Pacific Oceans (North America), a typhoon is one that develops in the Northestern Pacific Ocean and cyclones develop in the Southern Pacific & Indian Oceans.

    Interesting stuff...anybody around who can explain why it's all been made so complicated? lol

  • BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,069
    edited December 1969

    I'm in NY City, so right in the middle of Sandy's path. From what I saw on a couple of maps posted on another 3D forum I visit, I'm right in the 60-70 MPH with 80+ gusts wind zone, and the 3-6 inches of rainfall zone.

    I'm as prepared as I can be, and I think the worst will be if we lose power, but I'm really hoping that doesn't happen. It's already getting windy here, but rain is not expected until tomorrow.

    Take care everyone, and I'll see you all "on the flip side" when it's all done and gone.

  • bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 489
    edited December 1969

    Miss B said:
    I'm in NY City, so right in the middle of Sandy's path. From what I saw on a couple of maps posted on another 3D forum I visit, I'm right in the 60-70 MPH with 80+ gusts wind zone, and the 3-6 inches of rainfall zone.

    I'm also in NYC. It's funny to look at a map and see that my home is marked as being in "Evacuation Zone C". They've just ordered everyone out of Zone A, but I'm hoping that's as far as it's going to go.

    The wind is just starting to pick up now. It's not blowing hard yet, but it's clear that something big is coming our way. Every so often you get a gust that says "Oh yeah? Stick around until tomorrow, then you'll see what I can really do ..."

    This one is going to be "interesting".

  • JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 846
    edited December 1969

    angusm said:
    Miss B said:
    I'm in NY City, so right in the middle of Sandy's path. From what I saw on a couple of maps posted on another 3D forum I visit, I'm right in the 60-70 MPH with 80+ gusts wind zone, and the 3-6 inches of rainfall zone.

    I'm also in NYC. It's funny to look at a map and see that my home is marked as being in "Evacuation Zone C". They've just ordered everyone out of Zone A, but I'm hoping that's as far as it's going to go.

    The wind is just starting to pick up now. It's not blowing hard yet, but it's clear that something big is coming our way. Every so often you get a gust that says "Oh yeah? Stick around until tomorrow, then you'll see what I can really do ..."

    This one is going to be "interesting".

    heheh.... I had to "quote" you to see how you did that!! LOL!! ( t=74s) Groovy... I learned something new. :)

Sign In or Register to comment.
Rocket Fuel