Ding! Render Finished.

SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 6,003
edited December 1969 in Product Suggestions

Is there a way to script DAZ to make an audible beep, ding or alarm in Windows when a render is finished?

I'd pay for this. I tend to minimize the program while doing test renders that take more than two minutes, get distracted, and lose productive time before I think to check back and see if it's done yet. :-D So this would be a great time-management-enhancement device for those who render.

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 5,559
    edited December 1969

Is there a way to script DAZ to make an audible beep, ding or alarm in Windows when a render is finished?

I'd pay for this. I tend to minimize the program while doing test renders that take more than two minutes, get distracted, and lose productive time before I think to check back and see if it's done yet. :-D So this would be a great time-management-enhancement device for those who render.

I'd love the idea. Also love it if I could set up a queue for my computer to do its rendering when I was say... Away from my desk, so that I could set up jobs to render, and not have to do it manually.

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,757
    edited December 1969

Oh yeah! I usually keep a silent profile, except for couple of cases where my attention is needed, NOW, because it is actually important.

I count "render finished!" as important, although I can generally guess it by the sound of my CPU fans. So if someone bangs together one where I can pick .wav of my choice, I'd be pleased!

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 1,001
    edited December 1969

My PC makes so much noise whilst rendering that it is not a problem for me to notice when the render is finished (= blissful silence).

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 19,792
    edited December 1969

Bryce will tell you when a render is finished, if you ask it to, and will also tell you how long it took to render. Very handy sometimes.

• JaguarEllaJaguarElla Posts: 10,629
    edited December 1969

if you have the CPU,RAM meter widget active on your desktop, just look at the needle.
    GPU usually 100% during render, drops right down when finished.

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,757
    edited December 1969

Mmm, but the point of auditory signal is that you don't need to watch the screen.

So I can be, say, in kitchen, cooking my noms, and then I hear my computer scream "RENDER FINISHED, EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE" and I can come back and set the second one happening.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 6,003
    edited December 1969

if you have the CPU,RAM meter widget active on your desktop, just look at the needle.
    GPU usually 100% during render, drops right down when finished.

Yes, but that requires me to not be absorbed in some other activity (i.e. actively noticing that widget without something maximized over it). A ding would be more likely I'd notice it.

• nightwolf1982nightwolf1982 Posts: 494
    edited December 1969

Render finished alert would be great, but I'd like some kind of frame count or progress indicator for animations. I'm rendering a 200+ frame animation atm, and I have no idea how far it's gotten, other than it's been going for 50 minutes.

• MarieahMarieah Posts: 521
    edited December 1969

It's been requested numerous times over the years, but nothing has ever even looked like happening on it.

I agree that it would be really handy.

• paulct91paulct91 Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

Render finished alert would be great, but I'd like some kind of frame count or progress indicator for animations. I'm rendering a 200+ frame animation atm, and I have no idea how far it's gotten, other than it's been going for 50 minutes.

Select the "Timeline" Tab before running render for your animation, "Timeline" is shown using 0 to your end frame.
    (ex. End frame 99, "Timeline" shows 0-99, just like a Number Line)

Also, there is a scroll Cursor/Pointer that points to which frame you are currently on, so during a render of an animation it will always point to the frame DAZ Studio is currently working on.

• BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

Been playing with scripting lately and i remembered this post, turned out to be just a few lines of code : the render that goes 'Ping!" ;-)
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/66824/view/8/Script/Render-finished-!
    (windows only)

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 6,003
    edited December 1969

Been playing with scripting lately and i remembered this post, turned out to be just a few lines of code : the render that goes 'Ping!" ;-)
    (windows only)

YAY

You are my hero. I set up a custom action so it renders and then plays the comment whenever I hit ctrl+r. Thank you so much!!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 7,758
    edited December 1969

I was looking at the code to the old 'Quicksave' script...I think that it could be adapted to this, so that not only does it render, but it saves the scene before it starts and then plays the sound when done...

• BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

YAY

You are my hero. I set up a custom action so it renders and then plays the comment whenever I hit ctrl+r. Thank you so much!!
    My pleasure, SickleYield. I did notice that DS needs to be running in the foreground or the sound will not play, you might want to keep an eye on that.

I was looking at the code to the old 'Quicksave' script...I think that it could be adapted to this, so that not only does it render, but it saves the scene before it starts and then plays the sound when done...

That could probably be done, (and i bet i'd still hit ctrl+S two times before starting the script ;-) ).

• MithoronMithoron Posts: 33
    edited December 1969

(windows only)

OMG, I came here looking for this EXACT thing...THANK YOU BF!!!

One small question I have...I am often ALT-TABBED into something else and your script unfortunately executes, but the sound wav file dose not play with Daz is not the focus. Any way to bypass this?

The script is still extremely useful, as long renders I am often AFK and the sound is a perfect notification...but the ALT TAB issue is somewhat annoying....

Thanks again for an extremely useful script!

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 2,950
    edited December 1969

(windows only)

YAY

Let me guess ... "*TING!* You have male ..." ;)