Making Fake Ads using DAZ characters

Comments

• bohemian3bohemian3 Posts: 1,021
    edited August 2012

.... Its actually going to be a photo of his father that the main character...

Great character and face! The jawline is perfect. He's like uber-Father.

bohemian
    ... any advice about lighting would be great, my predator movie poster could use some real work as its hard to see the creature to me

Thanks for the kind words crewsie... I'm hardly an expert. Many here far more experienced than me. Your cover is really good - excellent reflections. Terrific detail in the background. For myself a few things I might try....

- Better rim around the character - you can attempt to do that in your render software with rim lights or post by rendering your background and character separetely.
    - Desaturate your background a little to make your character 'pop'. another reason to render background and foreground on separate passes (which I almost always do). A slight might and depth of field will help too.
    - The camera angle is straight forward, you might try playing with the angle to give your character a more menacing look

What software are you using for renders? With that info I and others might be able to give more technical tips.

Those are a few ideas that come to mind. Others feel free to chime in, I'm hardly an expert.
    Good luck.

Post edited by bohemian3 on
  • Jake_35533Jake_35533 Posts: 242
    edited September 2012

This is an older project I did a year ago. Had a plan to make this in the corner of the screen with a news caster in the center reporting this.

breaking_news_edited-1.jpg
    932 x 600 - 610K
    Post edited by Jake_35533 on
  • MarkR151MarkR151 Posts: 58
    edited December 1969

Another new Magazine Cover.

lol I definitely want to read that issue. I want to get rich by sleeping.

edited December 1969

Here is an old ad I did with Michael 4.

gallery_324_(FINAL).jpg
    461 x 600 - 178K
  • shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613
    edited December 1969

Another awesome image.

It'd be amazing to get everyone together to run an 'Advertising Challenge' then print out all the ad's in magazine form, with a few articles in there about Daz/Poser/Bryce/Carrara/Hex. Wonder if there'd be anyone interested in running something like that?

edited December 1969

Shaaelia said:
    Another awesome image.

It'd be amazing to get everyone together to run an 'Advertising Challenge' then print out all the ad's in magazine form, with a few articles in there about Daz/Poser/Bryce/Carrara/Hex. Wonder if there'd be anyone interested in running something like that?

I don't know about doing several pages and printing them out, but it would be neat to have a competition where people make fake ads as if Daz was the product of every type of ad (EX: Daz perfume, Daz shaving cream, Daz fashion). That would be interesting to see all the different ideas people come up with. I am waiting to see if someone else comments about this!

edited December 1969

That would be interesting to see what people would come up with. I do wonder how many people will be interested in it?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Fascinating idea. I will see if I can drum up any support for it. :coolsmirk:

edited December 1969

Awesome, Chohole :-) Will see if I can come up for a new skin for participants

edited December 1969

Jake, I am sending you a PM

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited September 2012

(EX: Daz perfume, Daz shaving cream, Daz fashion).

Or Daz washing powder....

... Naaaaa.... That'd never catch on. :lol:

Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited September 2012

Not an ad, but I did use Daz gorilla when I saw this photo of a coyote on a train being discussed on an other forum.
    I couldn't resist a bit of photoshopping. :-)

coyoteAlt.jpg
    500 x 425 - 43K
    edited December 1969

Not an ad, but I did use Daz gorilla when I saw this photo of a coyote on a train being discussed on an other forum.
    I couldn't resist a bit of photoshopping. :-)

You did a good job with the Gorilla. Looked real to me.

edited December 1969

I love that gorilla, he's really cool.

Jailed-gorilla.jpg
    680 x 780 - 144K
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited December 1969

fivecat said:
    Lol Jake at the third image... if your new body is easy I want to meet it.

The ad is actually for "Digital Men". Its like if people lived in a computer, and Daz3D was a clothing store or something, men would go there and buy their new body by buying muscle morphs like we do at the DAZ store. That's the idea I was going for.

Actually William Gibson incorporated grafted muscles and neurowork into his books.

edited December 1969

Is that the Millennium Gorilla or the Genesis Gorilla? And what texture are you using on it, because it seems to be more hairy than any gorilla I have ever seen.

edited December 1969

Is that the Millennium Gorilla or the Genesis Gorilla? And what texture are you using on it, because it seems to be more hairy than any gorilla I have ever seen.

Sorry Jake I must have missed this when you posted it.
    It's not Genesis as I use Poser 8 and there are problems with compatibility from what I hear.
    Looking at Millennium Gorilla in the Daz Store, it doesn't look like that either.
    If I get some time, I'll see if I can trace it back to where I bought it from (may have been content paradise).
    I know it is a bought model as opposed to a freebie because I bought it specifically for a paid job... Ironically, it never got used for the finished ad, but the client paid for it all the same. :)

I don't know if this helps because I did Google these terms with no relevant results, but the Model is in a folder in my Runtime called S1MAnimals and the model itself is just called Silverback.

As for the texture, it comes with dynamic hair for use in Poser, though looking at the non dynamic one, it has quite a bump channel to make it look hairy.

In other news; Chohole very kindly informed me of this great model of a Gretsch guitar (after I'd spotted it in one of her renders).
    So today after a bit (lot) of tweaking in Bryce, I rendered this Fake ad for Gretsch (the best make of guitar in the whole universe).
    I'm going to see if I can come up with something more creative though, this was just to see how my remapping of the materials came out.

Gretsch-Silk.jpg
    1120 x 440 - 312K
    edited December 1969

More Gretsch Renders... Fake ads at the moment but I'm thinking of sending them to Gretsch... May get a free guitar out of it. :lol:

Gretsch-Ears-Ad.jpg
    800 x 876 - 335K
    Gretsch-50s-Ad.jpg
    800 x 420 - 263K
    Gretsch-One-Step-Ad.jpg
    800 x 516 - 272K
    edited December 1969

In other news; Chohole very kindly informed me of this great model of a Gretsch guitar (after I'd spotted it in one of her renders).
    So today after a bit (lot) of tweaking in Bryce, I rendered this Fake ad for Gretsch (the best make of guitar in the whole universe).
    I'm going to see if I can come up with something more creative though, this was just to see how my remapping of the materials came out.

Wow, that looks good for being rendered in Bryce. Is this a model you bought or did you make this model? Is this ad for some kind of contest? Did you come up with those catch phrases because they are really good for advertisement and very creative.

• michaeltoomichaeltoo Posts: 219
    edited December 1969

Hi Jake__Russel,
    what an Awesome thread, some seriously hilariousness adds. Great concept pieces, surely gets the imagination and creative juices going.

edited December 1969

Wow, that looks good for being rendered in Bryce.
    Thanks Jake. :)
    Bryce has the most comprehensive lighting and rendering set up (if you can stand the render times) and the result you can get from it can be very photorealistic.
    Check out some of David Brinnen's renders down in the Bryce forum.

Is this a model you bought or did you make this model?
    The model is a freebie for Poser from this website; http://www.3dpmr.com/
    So I imported it into Poser and then exported it as an .obj file to import into Bryce.
    Once in Bryce it took a few hours to remap the materials to get rid of most of the photo based mapped textures and replace them with Bryce procedural textures on all the metal parts and some of the wood parts, create a bump map for the Bigsby Trem tail piece and add an HDRI based reflection to give it that polished look.

Is this ad for some kind of contest?

No, I'm just a massive fan of Gretsch guitars. :)

Did you come up with those catch phrases because they are really good for advertisement and very creative.
    Thanks and yes, I came up with them... The first was the One Step to Heaven line as I was looking on the Gretsch website and noticed they have just released a vintage Eddie Cochran tribute guitar... Though sadly the 3D model is not the same design, it's a Chet Atkins 6120.

My next plan is to customise the model a bit with a good paint job (maybe a flame job), I could have a lot of fun with it.

edited September 2012

Hi TheSavage64,
    this is the first time I've seen anyone use Bryce for illustration type work, mostly landscapes, buildings and futuristic type scenes. That's a fantastic job you did on the Gretsch Guitar Renders! Well done!

Post edited by michaeltoo on
    edited December 1969

Yes unfortunately a lot of people seriously underate the capabilities of Bryce.

edited September 2012

Hi TheSavage64,
    this is the first time I've seen anyone use Bryce for illustration type work, mostly landscapes, buildings and futuristic type scenes. That's a fantastic job you did on the Gretsch Guitar Renders! Well done!

Thanks. Bryce is a great piece of software and does so much more than landscapes.
    At the risk if repeating myself (from elsewhere on the forum), I present to you, my showpiece Bryce modelling job.
    This was done for a real advert, not a fake one so sorry it's off topic :-)

I made all the individual products in Bryce (except the yellow plastic 5ltr bottle). And mapped on all the labels (I already had all of those because I designed and did all the artwork for them), then put the whole Big Ben model together in Bryce before rendering.

An original rough visual of the ad appears below with the finished Illustration in place for context, along with an enlarged version of the Big Ben model I built which shows more detail.

:)

Biggest-Ben-1.jpg
    700 x 1834 - 408K
    Big-Benefit.jpg
    450 x 637 - 73K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

The silverback gorilla is an old item...maybe even pre-Millenium Gorilla.

edited December 1969

Thanks for that TheSavage64,
    I don't make my way to the Bryce forums at all and so would have missed your showpiece for buying British, great Illustration. You have some serious 3d ninja skills going on there! The only problem I have with your advert tho, is I think the only thing British I get down this way in New Zealand, are tourists and HP sauce. :-)

edited September 2012

Not a fake ad, but here is one of the cover designs that won a contest here on DAZ for a book that will be published on Amazon.

Eye_of_the_Beholder.jpg
    1400 x 2000 - 3M
    Post edited by Jake_35533 on
    edited December 1969

Not a fake ad, but here is one of the cover designs that won a contest here on DAZ for a book that will be published on Amazon.

Congratulations Jake__Russel! A job really well done.

edited December 1969

Jake I just had a look at the competition and you won 3 out of the four finalists placings! :bug: I think a standing ovation is in order. Clap clap clap clap clap clap!!!!!! Sorry that was the best I could do they don't have a smiley for it. BTW I hope yours is chosen for the final cover, I'm sure they will not be disappointed. Clap clap clap clap clap clap!!!!!! Bravo!!!!!

edited December 1969

Jake I just had a look at the competition and you won 3 out of the four finalists placings! :bug: I think a standing ovation is in order. Clap clap clap clap clap clap!!!!!! Sorry that was the best I could do they don't have a smiley for it. BTW I hope yours is chosen for the final cover, I'm sure they will not be disappointed. Clap clap clap clap clap clap!!!!!! Bravo!!!!!

Thanks. This is my very first time winning anything like this.