DAZ Studio 4.9 Pro, General Release, Now Available!

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Thanks to DoctorJellybean and SpottedKitty.

Your comments inspired me to double check this with my laptop. 

What are the official installation paths with DAZ Studio 4.9?

- for DAZ Connect Data

- for DAZ Studio Formats

- for Poser Formats

They should automatically be created\listed when you perform a clean installation.

What I can observe is that the recommended path for DAZ Studio Format files in the DIM is not the default path used in the DAZ Studio 4.9 General Release!

- - -

Preparation:

Before starting the test installation

- I uninstalled all files with the DIM

- I uninstalled the DIM in the windows app management

-  I manually deleted all remaining files in C:\Users\USERENAME\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D

- I manually deleted all DAZ Studio libraries

- - -

- - -

Test Reinstallation:

In the DIM the recommend path is

Documents\My DAZ 3D Library

- - -

- I installed DAZ Studio 4.9 General Release with the DIM

- I checked the Content Directory Manager

DAZ Connect Data

Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My DAZ Connect Library

DAZ Studio Formats

Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My DAZ Library

Poser Formats

- - -

- I installed the latest DAZ Studio 4.9 Public Release (Beta)

- I checked the Content Directory Manager

DAZ Connect Data

Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My DAZ Connect Library

DAZ Studio Formats

Poser Formats

- - -

This means:

- Users that install content directly inside DAZ Studio with DAZ Connect will not have any issues.

- Users that install content with the DIM will NOT find it in the General Release because in the Content Directory Manager the DIM path was not added to DAZ Studio and Poser formats.

Issue 1: The default installation path in the DIM leads to a complety different folder

The official path used for DAZ Studio file formats in the General Release is not the same path as used in the DIM.

Documents\My DAZ 3D Library  is used in the DIM by default

Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My DAZ Library is used by DAZ Studio by default

Issue 2: Differences between General and Public Release

This "issue" may not have been discovered in the BETA because for some weird reason the Beta version of DAZ Studio seems to automatically add the DIM path as well.

- - -

At the moment it seems recommended to double check the DIM and DAZ Studio default install locations to make sure they actually match and are added in the Content Directory Manager.

- - -

Can anyone else confirm this behavior of the default installation?

BTW:

Issue 3: The wiki page should probably also be updated.

There the recommended path is still

C:\users\[your user account]\My Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library

compare:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/dazcontentconfiguration

- - -

This means while searching around for the answer I discovered three different default installation paths for DAZ Studio file formats.

Two actually used by the DIM and DAZ Studio and one obsolete location on the wiki page.

- - -

That considered installing with DAZ Connect really seems to be the prefered solution because all those errors with setting the wrong path in the DIM should now be a thing of the past.

- - -

Those are whatever your previous content location settings were, not the clean-install defaults.  I believe they're stored in the registry, not in AppData.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

is it ok that i didnt uninstall the beta version of this program before i installed the new version ?

Not a problem, the beta is designed not to share settings with the general release, so they won't conflict.

• MadbatMadbat Posts: 382
    edited January 2016

Seems I can't find the 4.8 version download link in my Product Downloads, wonder if DAZ yanked it to prevent reverting to previous version... I didn't catch the DIM in time to prevent the 32bit from being updated and installed but did cancel the 64bit before it even finished downloading.  I have no desire to use anything with DRM or encryption and I REALLY hate the 'cloud' and will never use it.  It is a shame that DAZ is so proud of the Connect portion of this update even saying it is the core.

Yep, I want to roll back to 4.8 too. I hate the 4.9 version, and will not use or purchase anything encrypted or remotely cloud based either. My bad for not moving the 4.8 install files to a safe place beforehand.

Post edited by Madbat on
  • kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited January 2016

DAZ connect offer new meta-data of product as JSON. JSON are stored in the DAZ connect directory(user set in ds directory manager) /data/cloud/meta

question 1 

each json is for each product. 1_XXXXX .json  , and XXXXX is product number (ID) of DAZ shopw ,then these data are auto-downloaded, and at same time, imported  to postgreDB of daz studio when user log-in daz connect at first time.  right?

qeustion 2

and these JSON will be used to check the product need up-date meta-data or not by daz connect. that means, if I edit product category in daz studio, by  content DB editor, "DAZ connect" can not check it"  right?

qeustion 3  

If I re-import product meta-data , which offered by DIM , and habe been stored in .. runtime/support,  as dsx (xml),     "DAZ connect can not check it"  right?

DAZ connect only compare, newest meta-data in daz cloud and meta-data(Json) in  /data/cloud/meta,  not actuall data in DB,   then decide to Up-date or not.    right?

or DAZ connect check actuall product records of DB , then check difference from current meta-data of cloud and decide to up-date product or not?

Because these behavor seems kee-point for me, to maintein my meta-data editting  about product. then keep it in DB and exported meta-data, (for back-up)

Post edited by kitakoredaz on
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited January 2016

Okay, I'm noticing something weird.  Since Categories are going to be a much bigger thing going forward, I've decided to spend the next week or two getting organized.  However...

If a product is available via Daz Connect, but I have it already installed via DIM, it won't show up in Custom Categories until I find it in Smart Content and categorize it from there.  It claims to be orgainzed, but

So far, for most things I've noticed this with, the problem has been minor, but others (such as Designer Tiles) I can't look at them as a product (because DS doesn't acknowledge that I've installed said product, since I didn't use Daz Connect) and they're scattered through the default Smart Content categories in such a way that they're difficult (if not impossible) to pick out.

I realize the simple solution is to re-install the product through Daz Connect, but I'm kinda disappointed that DS is not quite forcing me to re-install things through Daz Connect.

Edit to add - The Designer Tiles aren't showing up in Smart Content at all, even though the Database Editor shows them categorized in both the default and custom categories.  I know my example pictures don't show Designer Tiles, but I first noticed it when I was collecting base figures, so that's when I took the screen shots.

Screenshot 2016-01-24 23.43.32.png
    1920 x 1080 - 237K
    Screenshot 2016-01-24 23.45.05.png
    1920 x 1080 - 584K
    Screenshot 2016-01-24 23.43.03.png
    1920 x 1080 - 352K
    Post edited by DaWaterRat on
    edited January 2016

Now I need to send new ticket for your great aprication DB problem.devil

I try to reset DB, to install all meta-data by DAZ connect, then plan to import user_data, and my original product meta-data.

to solve the my problem, (I can not make any category about new saved file, and can not assign category by imported user_data

about files which have no product meta-dataI

Not expect much, but may better just wait untill reply DAZ solution. 

I know I can import meta-data from scratch if I need.

but after I reset data-base, it forbidden me to log in DAZ connect, and it can not offer any meta-data.

everytime show me this new foolish stupid alert window.

I already try to re-install postgre by DIM again, but  nothing changed.  DAZ CMS often corrupted, then user need reset-data base. 

now you deny to log in daz connect, then not import meta-data,, what Can I do, your stupid aprication?

if your apridation tweak registly of MY pc, you must need to offer suitable way to clean un-install DB. and re-install it without problem.

angryangryangryangryangry  may need 100 more!! this mark!!!  more big size!

connect.PNG
    615 x 281 - 50K
  • RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

is it ok that i didnt uninstall the beta version of this program before i installed the new version ?

yes

• Little miffed it updated 4.8 to 4.9 and didn't install 4.9 seperatly.. as I've lost all my Custom Product catagories to all the downloaded content I've gotten from free sites.. 

Now I have to trove through all the directories and redo it all, wasting my time :/

edited January 2016

OK  I am thistime could be one of lucky user.

I retry reset database twice,  and it seems re-build databse correctly. then I could log in DAZ connect,

I am really tired then just install all meta-data by DAZ connect. without re-import meta-data of product (installed by DIM,) and user_data (exproted from ds 4.8),  and my original prodcut meta-data .

DAZ connect  install all meta-data again in daz connect directory,  but daz connect think, (because there is no meta-data)  I have not installed any contents still,  (that is OK)

Then I re-import all product meta-data (which offered by DIM) . now daz connect understand, I have already installed most of items (but not by DAZ connect) .

next I re-import my user_data,  and with my original product_data with user_data overwrite option.

it seems work this time.  but I get some problem.  some items seems assigned tow product.

one is "Local User" product. this pretty name product seems include almost all my user-categorized files there.

but I have already made product for same items.  then it is assigned the prodcut too.

I hope to remove the assignment of  the file from "local User product", because I have already made the "prodcut" with more cute name.

Then I tried manytimes to remove the reference of file from the "local user product"

but it never remove the reference.   how Can I correct it?

At first I tried to remove reference in Content library>product >LOCAL USER,  but it not worked (I reflesh many times)

Next  in content DB editor ,,delete the files. with option check ",Sync product and local data base"

then it export new strange name dsx =/Runtime/Support/12345678_LOCAL_USER.dsx. as the Product files.  with

but after all, next I check same product in Content DB editor, and Content library, the reference return as if it is ghost.  then I must see duplicate files which assigned both product, when I serch files in Smart content >files

after all, I could return most of my categories, but I definetly say, DS 4.9 DataBase is not reliable and steady as same as ds 4.8.

I feel I must find another problem, when I need to edit prodcut meta-data, or re-install them with DAZ connect meta-data.

and I can not find any suitable, steady way to keep my category, with new up-dated DAZ connect meta-data.

I afraid if I need to reset DB again, I may  not log in DAZ connect. . DS 4.9 database  is Unstable.

localuser.PNG
    1133 x 836 - 249K
    localuser2.PNG
    1033 x 842 - 187K
  • bryanll1bryanll1 Posts: 141

For some reason, when I installed 4.9, it retained the look and feel of 4.8.  It does not look like the beta version.  ????

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,103

Daz_Rawb mentioned this in another post.
    I believe the problem a few of you are having is that the official product metadata has been migrated to a userdata table.This is causing data collisions that result in table corruption.
    If I understood him correctly, they are working on a way to try and attempt a rescue of those tables with a script.

here's the thread where he was talking about it. His comments are on page 1.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/69987/can-i-go-back-to-4-8-if-i-don-t-like-4-9/p1

I didn't have any issues when I re-imported my userdata for 4.8 to 4.9. I didn't have any of mine saved as product data,and I didn't migrate any of the premade tables to my custom catagories.I also didn't use any of the premade tables to add my custom changes. I made a new table directly under "Categories" on the Content Library, and that is where I made all my changes.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917

I've tried 4.9 but I can't work with it!!! Nothing is sorted in Alphabetical order in Content Tab, and I am spending too much time trying to find folders.

I'm going back to 4.8.

bryanll1 said:

For some reason, when I installed 4.9, it retained the look and feel of 4.8.  It does not look like the beta version.  ????

There were no changes to the GUI in 4.9 , so it should have kept whatever layout and theme you were using in 4.8 . You can change them around if you like,There are several to choose from,and you can even make a custom one if you want.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    icecrmn said:

I believe the problem a few of you are having is that the official product metadata has been migrated to a userdata table.This is causing data collisions that result in table corruption.
    If I understood him correctly, they are working on a way to try and attempt a rescue of those tables with a script.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/69987/can-i-go-back-to-4-8-if-i-don-t-like-4-9/p1

I didn't have any issues when I re-imported my userdata for 4.8 to 4.9. I didn't have any of mine saved as product data,and I didn't migrate any of the premade tables to my custom catagories.I also didn't use any of the premade tables to add my custom changes. I made a new table directly under "Categories" on the Content Library, and that is where I made all my changes.

Well, that's not the case for my issue, since I was starting with fresh custom categories (made in Content Library view) and Categorizing via right clicking in either the Content Library or Smart Content.  I did not make Products from any of the items that are missing.

I made my categories exactly the same way you did.  But anything that is available via Daz Connect isn't showing up in those categories.

icecrmn said:

Well, that's not the case for my issue, since I was starting with fresh custom categories (made in Content Library view) and Categorizing via right clicking in either the Content Library or Smart Content.  I did not make Products from any of the items that are missing.

I made my categories exactly the same way you did.  But anything that is available via Daz Connect isn't showing up in those categories.

as far as I know, the whole store is available through connect.Connect is just a downloader/installer like DIM.There are , I think, 6 products that can only be downloaded through Connect only currently.

The screenshots you provided don't make it real clear what you are missing.Which ones specificly aren't showing up for you? Have you tried re-importing metadata?

@icemanI actually I feel so, it may happen about User who made original "product data" with "user_data"

but If daz think it is exceptional case, I really feel most of user have not used smart contentt as real meaning.

if we use full smart content ability, we must need to make product data for all files.

(but we have not such time, without more easy reliable editor, then we simply give up ,

and just make user_data and just set category and compatibility, without grouping by product name. 

Actually I hate of daz attitude about all smart content things.  because DAZ do not tell user clear

how to use them more efficiently. and satable.  You may feel, I just say complain, but Actually DAZ have never offer real stable document

about their offered smart content  , only tell usage about DAZ shop product with smart content.

No, I don't think it's just complaining :)

Nobody wants to have to redo all of the work to get their custom catagories to work after an upgrade. I know I wouldn't want to.

So I think its a very valid reason to be unhappy when your stuff doesn't work as it should.

I'm just trying to help out as much as I can for those that have upgraded to 4.9 that are having trouble.

I don't work for Daz so I don't know whats being done on their end, but the seem to be trying to solve these problems as they come up.

Thank you icecrmn.  and sorry my bad attitude in forum .

but I just keep it to push DAZ , because DAZ connect may be more dificult for user

who have made original product and keep it with user_data, untill DAZ show the way clear as official document of ds 4.9.

I do not think I have  full knowledge about smart content, then I may mistake, but I could help before, if user need to make them .

but about ds 4.9 at current,  I may not advice user to make original product meta-data,  I have not experienced much what will happen when use it

with daz connect and user_data,  (there seems new Product "Local User" data too,,,^^; I arelady edit and import it,,, but there seems something

wrong,,)

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100

There seems to be some confusion as to what Daz Connect actually is. Let me try a less technical description. It may be easiest to think of Daz Connect as an improved version of Install Manager, which is built into Daz Studio. Here is how it works. :) You tell it to log in. (It only logs in, when you tell it to.) It logs in and says, "Hello Daz, it's me again." :) Do you have any database updates for me? Great, let me have those please. Do you have any file updates for me? Great I'lluque@

You can only have two different versions of Daz Studio installed if one is the release version and one is a beta. Otherwise they share settings and that causes conflicts.  <Edited to add> OOps! I forgot you can also have one as 32 bit and hte other as 64 bit. :) My Bad! :) 

You could have thrown me a lifeline here.  I have 4.8 64bit installed on Win8.1.  Can I install 4.9 32bit alongside that?  Then, when I am convinced the upgrade has something worth having, uninstall 4.9 32bit and upgrade from 4.8 64bit to 4.9 64bit?  Please say this can be done, please please please!

Yes. 

One caveat, you can't see the difference in the Iray renders since 32 bit does not have Iray. 

Ohhh, so near and yet...I only use Iray, and the improvements to that are about the only incentive I personally have to upgrade, as I don't use Smart Content at all and am quite content to buy content through the online shop and download/install through DIM.

That being so, I have a follow up query.  If I upgrade to 4.9, and don't care for it and later want to revert to 4.8, can I do so based on the zip file I still have that was used to install DS 4.8 by DIM?  How would I use that zip file to re-install DS 4.8?

Use the Beta. It is much simpler, but you could, it is just tougher to do. 

You're welcome :)

I'm sure that what ever is causing this database weirdness it will get sorted out. The problems only seem to be affecting certain people.Those are the hardest problems to fix.If the problem affected everyone it would be much easir to find.

Ruphuss said:

would be very nice to have an install window

when installing through connect

as i sometimes do not realy know if theres a download running now or not

everything is so tiny

like the import window when loading a scene would be nice

It is supposed to be able to run in the background. There is a progress bar on the bottom right, and the Thumbnails for the products themselves show progress as they change from grayscale to color. 

Ruphuss said:

i have a lot of icons with "update metadata"

but there are no updates available

Metadata is supposed to update automatically when you log in. 

In this case, I believe the update it is referring to is to have Daz Connect take over from DIM for the products. (Not entirely sure, since I can't see your computer and don't know your exact circumstances. :) 

Ruphuss said:

next question

is there a way for smart content and connect to update custom categories also ?

other way i have always to look (how?) which products are metadata updated and do it manual

If all you did was categorize an item (as opposed to creating a product) then no, metadata update won't affect any additional categorization you created.

And updating that would take it out of your custom categories and put it into the Daz Librarian's Categories. :) 

Ruphuss said:

would be very nice to have an install window

when installing through connect

as i sometimes do not realy know if theres a download running now or not

everything is so tiny

like the import window when loading a scene would be nice

It is supposed to be able to run in the background. There is a progress bar on the bottom right, and the Thumbnails for the products themselves show progress as they change from grayscale to color. 

I think many people, myself included, would like a much more visual way to  see what the system is doing. Alot of us grew up during the windows XP era and kind of got used to seeing progress bars in little popup windows showing us that the computer wasn't just ignoring us again :)

Maybe a Connect or "maintenance" pane in Studio with a few buttons and progress bars for export/import userdata, backup userdata, download progress, that could be opened or closed using the "Windows>Panes" menu.Something like that would be pretty awesome.

edited January 2016

Spooky you should not use "DAZ Librarian's category" untill DAZ really finish work.smiley

it sitll just remain as foolish product data with foolish name " found and lost".

if you hope to keep smart , smart content pane, you must delete such category.

my prodcut meta-data is more smart than these empty daz librarian's category. even though it cause problem

(but the fault is not cause by user, cause by DAZ remember it)

dazconnecta3.PNG
    842 x 866 - 303K
    myproduct.PNG
    1007 x 888 - 332K

Spooky you should not use "DAZ Librarian's category" untill DAZ really finish work.smiley

it sitll just remain as foolish product data with foolish name " found and lost".

if you hope to keep smart , smart content pane, you must delete such category.

my prodcut meta-data is more smart than these empty daz librarian's category. even though it cause problem

(but the fault is not cause by user, cause by DAZ remember it)

It isn't a category, it is the work that Daz is doing, with a person that is overall responsible ("The Librarian") for updating and making consistent the content sold here at Daz. You get updates to products that have been done, as they are done, and don't have to wait for the entire thing to be done (which since it is an ongoing process is unlikely to ever be done.) 

Yes i know, so that I feel  you should not use the word "Librarian's category"  I really feel it is not  fun. untill all work have finished as one user.    though it may fun for daz team. I remember clear, how you change category name. then it caus problem for our categories before.

These on-going prodcut can not use in smart content. that means we may lost them and can not find them if we only use smart content

when we need it.   untill DAZ offer it or we make it by myself.   there are many product at cuurent still on going.

it is not fun at all, as any meaning, just annoy me and frastrate me long time.

You daz still keep the problem to serch content which user bought from your shop in smart content. 

why I can feel good when daz  proud your new librarian ?  she or he have not finished her work.  just on going process.

or I hope DAZ show, next month which product will be shown with real category.

Yes i know, so that I feel  you should not use the word "Librarian's category"  I really feel it is not  fun. untill all work have finished as one user.    though it may fun for daz team. I remember clear, how you change category name. then it caus problem for our categories before.

I said Librarian's categories (plural) referring to the Categories being set up and maintained by the Daz Librarian. I am sorry if I was misunderstood. 

• bryanll1bryanll1 Posts: 141
    icecrmn said:
    bryanll1 said:

There were no changes to the GUI in 4.9 , so it should have kept whatever layout and theme you were using in 4.8 . You can change them around if you like,There are several to choose from,and you can even make a custom one if you want.

Ok, then why is everyone complaining about lost files etc....  I'm a relatively new user and I'm not having any problems at all?