Sci-Fi Novella Cover Design Contest (Final Render) Thread - Indie Author A. E. McCullough

BrotherloboBrotherlobo Posts: 495
edited September 2012 in Art Studio

I’m looking for a cover for my upcoming novella:
The Last Spartan: DJ’s Mission

Starting Date: Monday, August 27, 2012
Submission Ending Date: Sunday, September 16, 2012 @ 1800 hours (6:00 PM) Eastern time

This thread is the FINAL RENDER ie Submission thread. Post your covers here & later this week, I or a forum administrator will put up the poll for to help determine the final three.

How to Enter:
1. Be logged in to your DAZ3D Forum account to submit a valid entry. I will not accept Anonymous or Guest Entries.
2. Submit your image in .jpg format to the appropriate contest thread.
3. Upload your image using the Post Reply & Browse to Attachment feature (In other words please do not link to your image but rather post it to the thread)
4. Final image should be at a minimum 700 x 1000 pixels @300dpi (this will primarily be an eBook cover) but can be larger. Test renders can be done (and posted in the WIP thread) at smaller sizes & lower resolution for speed and ease.
5. Please follow the DAZ Terms of Service.
6. Clearly state in your thread post that the final render you wish to enter is a “Submission” to keep test and concept images easily identifiable.

You May:
1. Enter as many times as you like.
2. Use any 3D program you choose to create your image.
3. This contest is open to anyone.

Contest Legal Stuff:
—If you are selected as a contest winner or honorable mention, you agree that the organizer may publicize your community name and your contest entry. Apart from the prizes associated with being selected as a winner, the organizer shall not be obligated to compensate you in any way for such publicity.
—Each entrant shall indemnify, defend, and hold A.E. McCullough and DAZ3D harmless from any third party claims arising from or related to that entrant’s participation in the contest. In no event shall A.E. McCullough or DAZ3D be liable for acts or omissions arising out of or related to the contest or to an entrant’s participation in the contest.
—Winners will be chosen by a poll placed on the ‘Final Render’ thread of this contest. Anyone entering or viewing will be allowed to vote. However, I reserve the right to choose the final image from the top three images picked through the poll. Final choice will be based on how well I believe the submission reflects my upcoming novella.

Prizes:
—The three finalists chosen by the poll will each receive a $25 DAZ 3D Gift Card. Their artwork will also be featured on my website with links to their own personal/professional website.
—The winner, chosen from the finalists by my wife and me, will receive an additional $25 DAZ 3D Gift Card, a mention in the book’s front matter and a section in the back of the novel titled—‘About the Cover Artist’—with a brief bio and contact info.
—No other prizes or awards are promised or implied.

Note: All images entered in the contest are copyrighted and owned by the artist. By submitting to the contest, the artist agrees to grant A.E. McCullough the right to print or otherwise re-publish the submitted images in various marketing or web materials so long as credit is given to the artist as the original creator of the image(s). No image(s) may be taken or used by any other third party without permission from the artist. Any third party digital assets used in the creation of your submission must be licensed to you for unrestricted or commercial purposes.

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Just one comment about this. Do try and give your submission a unique title of some sort, just for reference, to make it easier to make the Poll.

• Jake_35533Jake_35533 Posts: 242
    edited December 1969

SUBMISSION #1
    IMAGE NAME: Spartan in the Rain

COVER_1.jpg
    1400 x 2000 - 3M
    edited December 1969

SUBMISSION #2
    IMAGE NAME: Bounty Hunter

COVER_4.jpg
    1400 x 2000 - 651K
    edited September 2012

SUBMISSION #3
    IMAGE NAME: Two times two

COVER_2.jpg
    1400 x 2000 - 673K
    Post edited by Jake_35533 on
    edited September 2012

SUBMISSION #4
    IMAGE NAME: 3 is a Crowd

COVER_3_(FINAL).jpg
    1400 x 2000 - 740K
    edited December 1969

SUBMISSION #5
    IMAGE NAME: Rooftop escape

COVER_5.jpg
    1119 x 1600 - 2M
  • daz3_57718312fadaz3_57718312fa Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Title: Zero Day

Please click for detailed view.

ae_mccullough_book_cover_2012_hi_res.jpg
    1400 x 2000 - 887K
  • CNSamsonCNSamson Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

TITLE: "Red Falcon Saturn"

m4_redfalc_final.jpg
    385 x 550 - 102K
    edited September 2012

SUBMISSION #6
    IMAGE NAME: Space warriors

LAST_SPARTAN.jpg
    1400 x 2000 - 647K
  • BrotherloboBrotherlobo Posts: 495
    edited December 1969

The covers are looking good! I have seen several that I would be proud to have as the cover to my next novel.

Since I'm still getting submissions....I guess I will hold off on the poll until Sunday and run it thru Wednesday.
    I will also post several links in other forums to get as many voters as possible.
    Make sure you get all your submissions in before Sunday at 6PM - eastern

Once again...good luck to all!!!

edited September 2012

The covers are looking good! I have seen several that I would be proud to have as the cover to my next novel.

Since I'm still getting submissions....I guess I will hold off on the poll until Sunday and run it thru Wednesday.
    I will also post several links in other forums to get as many voters as possible.
    Make sure you get all your submissions in before Sunday at 6PM - eastern

Once again...good luck to all!!!

That is a great idea. I am longing to see more covers submitted. Like someone else said (I think it was chohole) that it is very interesting to see the same story interpreted by many people and see a different cover from many people.

I still have cover ideas so I am submitting covers just to keep this thread alive. It think I will stop with the next cover I will post tomorrow. I am going for a different look from the first 4 I submitted just to keep it fresh. Your story is so interesting that it is inspiring all these ideas. I do the same thing with my stories, visualize the characters featured on the cover. Sometimes I even make the cover of my story before I start writing. But I hope you are successful with getting people to submit images..

• azoohouseazoohouse Posts: 660
    edited September 2012

My submission..... Ghost Agent
    Used M4, Ghost Agent, Dystopia buildings

Post edited by azoohouse on
    edited September 2012

SUBMISSION #7
    IMAGE NAME: Faces of Courage

COVER_7.jpg
    1050 x 1500 - 404K
  • OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited December 1969

This is an awesome idea, I will try and get something done this weekend. :)

edited September 2012

SUBMISSION #8
    IMAGE NAME: Eye of the beholder

COVER_8.jpg
    1400 x 2000 - 3M
    edited December 1969

Wow Jake...you are on a roll!!!

edited September 2012

SUBMISSION #9
    IMAGE NAME: Reflection

final.jpg
    700 x 1000 - 667K
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,184
    edited September 2012

"Reflection" definitely has a good composition balance and not as cluttered as some of the others. Don't forget the DJ mission tag. If you wanted to be creative, you could consider a version of the same image to have a glimpse of the daughter mostly hidden but peering out frightened from his left side, protected by his left arm or have her reflected in the reflection only.

Post edited by FirstBastion on
    edited September 2012

"Reflection" definitely has a good composition balance and not as cluttered as some of the others. Don't forget the DJ mission tag. If you wanted to be creative, you could consider a version of the same image to have a glimpse of the daughter mostly hidden but peering out frightened from his left side, protected by his left arm or have her reflected in the reflection only.

Wow, it's an honor for you to critique my images. I think I just bought one of your items a week ago (it was lunar Crator moonscape)..

You are right about adding the daughter as a background image in the reflection. I was planning a scene with a more emotional element like this anyway. This is just a simple scene that I wanted to do just to focus on DJ as a double reflection, DJs inner reflection and DJs reflection in the glass. Are you planning to submit an image for the contest?

edited September 2012

My first entry, maybe my only entry, we'll see.

Title: Retro

DjsMissionCover.jpg
    1400 x 2000 - 1M
    Post edited by Odaa on
    edited December 1969

Odaa said:
    My first entry, maybe my only entry, we'll see.

Title: Retro

That's really cool. I hope you submit another one.

edited December 1969

SUBMISSION #10
    IMAGE NAME: Final Fight

FI.jpg
    700 x 1000 - 743K
    edited December 1969

Wow...the submissions are looking great!
    Just remember....last chance to get a design ends at 6pm tonight (eastern time).
    Then, I will open up the polls.....Good luck to all.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

number 1 - The Last Spartan

The_Last_Spartan.jpg
    600 x 800 - 299K
    edited December 1969

My second entry.

Title: The Defenders

DJsMissionProtection3.jpg
    1400 x 2000 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Out to dinner with the wife atm...when I get home, I will set up the poll.
    Thanks for the great submissions and good luck.
    PS--> any latecomers have until I get back to get thier submissions in!!!

edited September 2012

SUBMISSION #11
    IMAGE NAME: DJ's Fate

WALL.jpg
    1050 x 1500 - 360K
    edited December 1969

Okay...the poll is up and running. Ran into a slight problem, only allowed 12 entries for the poll. I ended up with 17 entries total. Many thanks to all who entered. In order to make the polls work, I cut 5 submissions that I didnt like or couldnt see using as my cover design. Sorry if I cut yours but thanks for entering.

Now comes the voting. Spread the word. I know I will. Good luck to all.

edited December 1969

When does the voting period end?

edited December 1969

When does the voting period end?

Originally scheduled for Wednesday but with the problems setting up the polls, I will be extending it until Thursday.