Content Management Server.exe

GjSGjS Posts: 47
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

File is located in; C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\Content Management Service

I've got 2 questions;

(1). is it OK to stop the ContentManagementServer 'even if temporarily' because it's using over 49,000K and that's on system idle with DS4 not in use.

(2). and can this ContentManagementServer be uninstalled without effecting regular use of DS4 or later on as I addon new content?

btw; there is also another location being just a folder that appears empty and is located in; C;\DAZ 3D\Content Management Service.

Comments

• GjSGjS Posts: 47
    edited December 1969

Update:

Actually I'm more interested in knowing if DS4 will work fine without the Content Manager (uninstall it) ?

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Several parts of it wont work. Smart Content, the search function in the Content Library tab, Categories to name but a few, but if you can do without that sort of thing you can get rid of it. You must be very short of memory?

edited December 1969

Thanks for your reply. I should be able to live without those features.

I have 2 Gig Ram but need every bit of it for post production work using other software. It's strictly a studio DAW and I don't want any unnecessary apps loaded and running in the background whilst I'm working. No Internet connection, no anti-virus, no firewall, no nothing! I run a very tight ship LOL!

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

You can also stop it from starting at system start and only Start it when you're about to launch DS4 and Stop it afterwards.

edited December 1969

Thanks!

Just wanted to be 100% sure I don't break DS4 completely but now I might do a test; Process > Stop (CMS) and then open DS4 and see what features I'll actually be missing before taking a drastic step = uninstalling CMS.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

@ fixmypcmike

How exactly would I go about doing this? Would I need to activate before opening Carrara to use Genesis as well?

edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    @ fixmypcmike

How exactly would I go about doing this? Would I need to activate before opening Carrara to use Genesis as well?

Yes, you'd need to do it before launching Carrara as well. In Windows, Start > Run > services.msc, locate the DAZ Content Management Service, and change it from Automatic to Manual. MacOSX is more complicated.

edited December 1969

Sara16 said:
    Thanks!

Just wanted to be 100% sure I don't break DS4 completely but now I might do a test; Process > Stop (CMS) and then open DS4 and see what features I'll actually be missing before taking a drastic step = uninstalling CMS.

You'll lose Smart Content, Categories and Product views, search using database, and automatic Fit to when double-clicking a conforming item.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Thanks - the fewer unnecessary startup processes the better.

• KorniejKorniej Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Process explorer shows that it consumes 22-30% of cpu time. What does it do and why so much?

edited December 1969

Korniej said:
    Process explorer shows that it consumes 22-30% of cpu time. What does it do and why so much?

Mine uses 0% most of the time. If I do a search in the Content Library pane, it fluctuates between 2% and 3% at most. I think there must be something wrong with your install. Does it constantly use this much, or just when you load an item, or use the search function?

What OS are you using, and what version of DAZ Studio?

edited December 1969

All the time, no matter if I use DazStudio or not. The service starts with the system and 23-30% jumping up and down.
    WindowsXP pro, Daz Studio 4.6.

edited December 1969

That sounds completely wrong to me, but I don't know enough about how it works on XP to help you. It shouldn't be doing that anway.

If you hold on for a little while, maybe Dave or Mike will be around, and able to give you an explanation or a fix for it.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

Is it being blocked by your firewall?

edited December 1969

Thanks, this was it. Why is it consuming so much system resources when blocked?

• SkelchSkelch Posts: 275
    edited December 1969

Since it was constantly being checked by the firewall for every action it tried to perform. This will 'eat up' system memory (RAM) in order to continue functioning it just had to use more and more memory to assure the firewall that it was not 'hurting' your computer.

Think about it this way the Content Manager is doing its job and the Firewall was doing its job but in order to do its job the Firewall is holding up its hand like a WWII German Gestapo agent every time the Content manager tries to do its work "papers please" and the Content Manager is like "I am here on official business" Finally the firewall says "Move along" then the next action from the Content manage starts it all over again so the Firewall acts like it never saw the Content Manger and stops it again and says "papers please" all over again.

This happens very quickly and so everything functions but it took a lot of ram for the content manager to perform its job. Telling the firewall to allow Content Manager to continue means it is not stopping it to check it thereby not using as much memory.

I hope that helps :)

• edited December 1969

I have a similar issue, only CMS does not eat up much memory, but causes disk thrashing with /excessive/ page faults on start-up (on the order of several times more than next highest program), making system absolutely unusable (locking up for several minutes) after booting up.

For example, this boot, I have it mark up 11441 hard page faults.

My system is Win7 with 16GB of RAM, and total memory load not exceeding 25% at these times.

Any suggestions?