Help needed mapping a label on to a tin can.

StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I can't believe I can't do this, I've done it before.

I have a tin can with grooves / indentations in it.
Made with a positive cylinder and negative torus's.

When they are grouped together they make a single cylinder with the grooves in it.

All I want to do is to map the label around the tin and into the groves.
I tell it to map it cylindrically which it does, but when I look at it, it looks like it is
mapping a complete copy of the label in to all the separate grooves and a complete
label on the tin as if they were separate objects. What am I doing wrong?
Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• dwseldwsel Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It looks for me it might have something to do with the grooves being negative booleans and having turned on option 'transfer material of negative boolean'. It should be turned off.

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

I thought the same but I had already turned it off when I checked.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Interesting. If you post me the file

I can try and figure out what went wrong.
  • gaffer2gaffer2 Posts: 67
    edited December 1969

dumb question does it work if you convert to a mesh?

edited December 1969

@ gaffer2. - Yes it's the same when converted to a mesh.

@David. - Thank you, I am just sending the file.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

What happens if you set the material on your negative toruses to 100% transparent and click to blend transparency.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

It has to be converted to a mesh, exported, and then re-imported before it truly becomes a single mesh. Before exporting all of the individual mesh's parts are still stored in memory (in case you decide to undo the conversion action). Once you get it re-imported you probably need to use Object Side or something to map it successfully.

edited December 1969

Converting to a mesh exporting and importing may work, but geometry resolution will be lost. Likewise modelling in Wings3D could be a way.

Here I’ve provided a material solution.

The tin geometry, the cut cylinder is set to be a lens material with 0 refraction, this can have reflection or diffuse to interact with light to show off the geometry.

Inside is your label on another cylinder – this shows up through the lens.

It’s not perfect, but it is interesting.

Tin_Can_m.jpg
    800 x 600 - 79K
    edited December 1969

Thanks David. It is an interesting way to do it.
    I have done it before with bean cans but can't remember how, and I don't have the original scene file for it.

Although I picked the wrong background at the time I was quite pleased with the cans and labels.

Beans.jpg
    800 x 600 - 326K
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    What happens if you set the material on your negative toruses to 100% transparent and click to blend transparency.

They cut into the tin leaving it in slices. I can see what you are thinking here. This is a far more difficult problem that it at first appears... You'd think there was an easy way to get around this... but... nothing springs to mind.

edited December 1969

OK, I had another idea. Bump mapping.

How does that look?

Tin_Can_m2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 87K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

They cut into the tin leaving it in slices. I can see what you are thinking here. This is a far more difficult problem that it at first appears... You'd think there was an easy way to get around this... but... nothing springs to mind.

Yeah thinking about it, that would only work if the cylinder was a solid chunk and not hollow. I got something similar to work on a terrain because I had it set to solid.

edited December 1969

Even using one of Rashad's additional primitives with set to solid when boolean rendering. It still did this to me.

Image1.jpg
    347 x 390 - 75K
    edited December 1969

Thanks again David. That looks like what I was after.
    Never thought of doing it that way. Still learning.