Gen X questions Presale Question

KimberSueKimberSue Posts: 353
edited September 2012 in New Users

Sorry to be a pain, I have been reading the Gen x manual and my small business has to count ever penny these days so I want to make sure I understand this genx software. I do get that when transfer some morphs adjustment might be needed. I am only trying to get a basic ideas here before go any further.

( I hope I'm asking this right.) - - If I made clothing for Gen X can they also be using on the standard genesis or only GenX? If so, say I made a dress for V4 Gen X, can I save them to fit V4 model without GenX? If I can make clothing for other models using Gen X: I know to make clothing morphs with kid 4 I have to go into hexagon to make the morph dials. Is the same for GenX? Or can the clothing morphs be done in Daz then saved to go with clothing?

Gen X supports include v4 and M4. I don’t need to buy any add-ons for these two models except http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-generation-x correct? (that is once it is ready for Daz 4.5)

If I made my own model (person) injection with Gen X can it be used online for Gen X or change the standard Genesis use it.

Thank you time and any advice
Kimberly

Post edited by KimberSue on

Comments

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

I am not quite sure what you are talking about. What do you mean with V4 GenX? A V4 is a DAZ figure named Victoria 4. GenX is a script (I think) that works like this - if you have in the past (before Genesis was invented) made some characters for Victoria 4 or Michael 4 you can then transfer them to Genesis with the help of GenX. It has nothing to do with clothing. Clothing made for V4 or M4 fits Genesis via autofit.

• KimberSueKimberSue Posts: 353
    edited December 1969

I am not quite sure what you are talking about. What do you mean with V4 GenX? A V4 is a DAZ figure named Victoria 4. GenX is a script (I think) that works like this - if you have in the past (before Genesis was invented) made some characters for Victoria 4 or Michael 4 you can then transfer them to Genesis with the help of GenX. It has nothing to do with clothing. Clothing made for V4 or M4 fits Genesis via autofit.

I think I have totally misunderstood Gen X.
    thanks

edited December 1969

Could you tell us what is it what you want to do? Then someone here can advise you how to achieve your goal. Do you want to make clothes for DAZ figures? Do you want to make characters for DAZ figures? Do you want to use DAZ figures in graphics? Or anyhing else?

BTW: I wonder - do you have V4 or M4 at all, or were you thinking that GenX is actually V4?

edited September 2012

never mind -- I don't know what I want to do. I am just going to go back to making clothing textures since I been using graphic design software for 13 years.

Post edited by KimberSue on
    edited December 1969

I got your original full last post (which is not here any more, probably edited out) because I am subscribed to this thread. I do not make 3D clothes, neither people injections, so I cannot advise you concerning this. But I am sure other people here can and would gladly help you to resolve the questions you have about these topics. Just go ahead and ask. Everytime I asked here, I have always gotten a friendly reply, even if some of my questions may have sounded dumb. So don´t be afraid, just ask. Maybe it would be better to create a new thread with a better fitting title for that.

BTW: Many people here make in some way money with DAZ Studio. Either making items for it, or using it to create graphics, book covers etc. Maybe some of them would be so nice to share their experience concerning this.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

KimberSue said:
    Sorry to be a pain, I have been reading the Gen x manual and my small business has to count ever penny these days so I want to make sure I understand this genx software. I do get that when transfer some morphs adjustment might be needed. I am only trying to get a basic ideas here before go any further.

( I hope I'm asking this right.) - - If I made clothing for Gen X can they also be using on the standard genesis or only GenX? If so, say I made a dress for V4 Gen X, can I save them to fit V4 model without GenX? If I can make clothing for other models using Gen X: I know to make clothing morphs with kid 4 I have to go into hexagon to make the morph dials. Is the same for GenX? Or can the clothing morphs be done in Daz then saved to go with clothing?

Gen X supports include v4 and M4. I don’t need to buy any add-ons for these two models except http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-generation-x correct? (that is once it is ready for Daz 4.5)

If I made my own model (person) injection with Gen X can it be used online for Gen X or change the standard Genesis use it.

Thank you time and any advice
    Kimberly

Hello again Kimberly

Over the years, people have created morphed characters for V4 and other Generation 4 models. Some of them are very attractive, and people got used to using them in their renders. For example Angela and Oksana for V4 as an example.

Along came Genesis which peole were using more and more. Unfortunately, Genesis is a completely different mesh to V4, with completely different rigging, so the V4 morph sets, which these V4 characters used, were not usable on Genesis. Dimension 3D came up with a software program called Generation X that can translate these morphs and apply them to Genesis. To do this, you need the V4 shapes for Genesis, and the GenX plugin, and then you could transfer Angela or Oksana over to Genesis, and it would look exactly the same (or near enough), as it did on V4.

So, what GenX is, is a way of transferring your V4 characters to Genesis so that you can have the face shapes that were designed for V4 on the latest Genesis model. Even though it now has new morphs, it is still Genesis, and Genesis clothing will still fit.

Does that help any?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I never saw the original full post but, If you are wishing to make clothing for the figures, I know this much. Making clothing for the new Genesis figure is much easier than making clothing for the generation 4 figures like V4 or M4. Any clothing you make for the BASE genesis figure will fit all the Shapes that genesis can become. So you only need to make the one set and that set will fit Genesis V4 shape M4 shape V5 shape ect... You will not need extra programs to make the clothing work for Genesis. You will still need to first make the clothing in a 3D modeling program like Hexagon, Blender or such. DS4.5Pro also comes with most of the tools needed to create clothing for V4, M4 and K4 ect.. but that takes more work to get them to work.

Many people here are clothing artist and there is even a Thread in the Nuts and Bolts Forum about making clothes right now.
    Here is the Link: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2174/

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Making clothing for the new Genesis figure is much easier than making clothing for the generation 4 figures like V4 or M4. Any clothing you make for the BASE genesis figure will fit all the Shapes that genesis can become. So you only need to make the one set and that set will fit Genesis V4 shape M4 shape V5 shape ect... You will not need extra programs to make the clothing work for Genesis.

Thank you, in my own weird way that is kind of what I was trying to get to. But some where I thought I read you could make dial morph with genx for other models so I was simple way off there. I will look at the link you gave me. I get the basic clothing making part and the textures but clothing morphs are frustrating me to no end. I have been readying the hexagon manual on my nook for cover to cover.

I apologize to everyone who been so helpful, I'm frustrated right now. I have mild cerebral palsy and should know better than to be online trying to post questions when having bad spell, my word don't always come out correctly and I have a bad habit of making things harder than they have to be.

I think all the tutors and manual I've been studying are starting to run together .. lol lol I will probably break for it all for a bit.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

KimberSue said:
    Jaderail said:
    Making clothing for the new Genesis figure is much easier than making clothing for the generation 4 figures like V4 or M4. Any clothing you make for the BASE genesis figure will fit all the Shapes that genesis can become. So you only need to make the one set and that set will fit Genesis V4 shape M4 shape V5 shape ect... You will not need extra programs to make the clothing work for Genesis.

Thank you, in my own weird way that is kind of what I was trying to get to. But some where I thought I read you could make dial morph with genx for other models so I was simple way off there. I will look at the link you gave me. I get the basic clothing making part and the textures but clothing morphs are frustrating me to no end. I have been readying the hexagon manual on my nook for cover to cover.

I apologize to everyone who been so helpful, I'm frustrated right now. I have mild cerebral palsy and should know better than to be online trying to post questions when having bad spell, my word don't always come out correctly and I have a bad habit of making things harder than they have to be.

I think all the tutors and manual I've been studying are starting to run together .. lol lol I will probably break for it all for a bit.
    Well, the good thing is with Genesis you do not need clothing morphs. For the Gen4 figures you do, V4 ect.. but not Genesis.

edited December 1969

What started me looking at genx in the first place was the kids 4 clone but even if I cloned kids 4 onto genx if I saved the clothing their would be no morphs for the clothing on kid 4. That is not workable. I am going to start work on a genesis winter sweater and pants and see if I can come up with any adult clothing. Most my stock piled artwork which I'd planned to put on the front of clothing is kids stuff so this is a bit away from my original idea. At least till I get hexagon read.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Many people here are clothing artist and there is even a Thread in the Nuts and Bolts Forum about making clothes right now.
    Here is the Link: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2174/

I had seen that thread and forgot to bookmark it and never could find it again. More tutors to download yyaa

edited December 1969

KimberSue said:
    What started me looking at genx in the first place was the kids 4 clone but even if I cloned kids 4 onto genx if I saved the clothing their would be no morphs for the clothing on kid 4. That is not workable. I am going to start work on a genesis winter sweater and pants and see if I can come up with any adult clothing. Most my stock piled artwork which I'd planned to put on the front of clothing is kids stuff so this is a bit away from my original idea. At least till I get hexagon read.

On the other hand, everyone is making clothing for Genesis adults. Maybe this is a never before (or rarely) explored niche on the DAZ market - clothing that is designed for children and fits Genesis. It could be interesting to base your business model on this.

edited December 1969

KimberSue said:

On the other hand, everyone is making clothing for Genesis adults. Maybe this is a never before (or rarely) explored niche on the DAZ market - clothing that is designed for children and fits Genesis. It could be interesting to base your business model on this.

After 15 years of working at home, writing article about w@h for publication and doing w@h mentoring, I can tell you my first rule is do what you love if you can do it better than other and if not, find a niche market and specialize in that. Ever time I had to re invent my business model due to new tech (which is more times than I care to remember) I have found usually old people and kids are forgotten. Since I was a pre-school teacher for years, I usually do kids. What a good laugh?? I went I started working at home excite was big name in search engines, there was no adobe reader, there was no such thing as an affiliate program or even online ads. I can remember when domain names where considered cheap at $3000.00 LOL LOL

My point is that I am not a video game player and have no interest in creating a half naked women so kids and mom clothing is a good fit for me. In the long run I do hope to come up with my own line of weird aliens. Long Live Farscape!! lol