NEW! Novica & Invited Guest Contributors Tips & Product Reviews Pt 6

Comments

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,091
    barbult said:
    MelanieL said:

I love those Fredels products - just wish they were here at DAZ (I don't really buy elsewhere)

Here's a quick render of new boy Jared for M7 with today's freebie CP Winter Circlet. Jared is straight out of the box, no fiddling, the circlet is with the silver preset. He's wearing the Sword of Time Outfit and the background is from Iray HDR Outdoor Environments

Click for large

He  looks much better than the orange promos. I'm curious - what else did you get with Jared? I can't convince myself that there is anything in today's group that I want.

I got the FSL Filthy Dirty Iray Shaders - because I thought they might come in useful one day (and I have an inate difficulty in passing shader sets by! blush)

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

barbult said:

He  looks much better than the orange promos. I'm curious - what else did you get with Jared? I can't convince myself that there is anything in today's group that I want.

Hey barbult- thought you were talking to Melanie so I didn't reply. I got the phrase maker addition because I got the original product and it's very reasonably priced, with my 5 punches it's really cheap. It looked like it had some fun additions to the original, and it's practical.

Fredels said:
    MelanieL said:

I love those Fredels products - just wish they were here at DAZ (I don't really buy elsewhere

*Please bare my forum-clumsiness* (i'm sure i'm quoting wrong here) laugh

That looks intense! i love it!
    And about the other thing. I actually offered Odelle to Daz, but they weren't interested. I also hear a lot about products that get rejected, that actually look great and have a good quality and on the other hand i see products that will hit the store soon, they are so boring that you'd have to invent a new word for it, just because we've seen it already over and over again.

Well I agree with Novica that DAZ probably lost on that one: I'm pretty sure I'd have bought Odelle and probably Jun and definitely an older male figure if DAZ had taken them up, but there are an awful lot of pale young females that I have little interest in and only buy if they're dirt cheap (e.g. PC+) or part of a bundle with interesting clothing. And as for the plethora of identikit clothing... (well, I won't labour that point here)

edited December 2015

Okay, I was piddling with controls in Iray, while I do (sometimes) read up on what does what, I often forget as there's so much, and I also like to try different things to see what they do, whether they're supposed to be used that way or not. So I tinkered with the Tone Mapping option called White Point. What would happen if I changed that to different colors? Well, it changes the hue in everything in the scene of course, but some of you might find that interesting. I used it to test skin changes, and it was interesting. I'm not promoting this as the way to tweak skin, only showing you what I've been doing, time permitting. (Company headed in for the holidays, etc)  Might be interesting for those of you who want to change a scene to sci-fi ish or a certain mood. You can see how the clothing changes too.

So, what exactly is White Point supposed to do, and have you manipulated it? (I believe when the Temperature is 6500 that white in White Point is pure white, and you change the temperatures normally to get different lighting results. I left it at 6500) 

Started with the default so you could see what the lightset normally does, then watch how things change. It was fun to tinker! Note I changed the scale on a few, using the same color.

whitepoint3A.jpg
    250 x 524 - 99K
    whitepoint2A.jpg
    250 x 524 - 96K
    whitepoint1A.jpg
    250 x 524 - 97K
    whitepoint4A.jpg
    250 x 524 - 97K
    whitepoint5A.jpg
    250 x 524 - 99K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 2015

Continuing on. (Have about 12) It's a different mindset- the color you change it to, isn't going to be what is shown on the skin. The darker brown didn't get dark brown, (above) and so I knew when inputting some wild colors, it was going to be interesting. So I tested some colors that would be awful for skin, to see what they would do. An Ochre-ish got me a glowing blue!

I like the third one actually better than the original. 

whitepoint6A.jpg
    250 x 524 - 101K
    whitepoint7A.jpg
    250 x 524 - 97K
    whitepoint8A.jpg
    250 x 524 - 97K
    whitepoint9A.jpg
    250 x 524 - 98K
    whitepoint10A.jpg
    250 x 524 - 98K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 2015

Oops, one more, not two.

whitepoint12A.jpg
    250 x 524 - 99K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 2015

What the heck? Will someone put this on a character, then hide the clothes, and see if that part of the figure is also removed? (PJs for Genesis 3 Female(s))  It does it on all of mine.

Post edited by Novica on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    Novica said:

What the heck? Will someone put this on a character, then hide the clothes, and see if that part of the figure is also removed? (PJs for Genesis 3 Female(s))  It does it on all of mine.

I don't have that, but I've had a similar problem with another product (can't remember what right now - maybe Abigail Outfit by the same PA). When I hide the clothes, parts of the figure also disappear from the scene. I can't figure out how it is done or how to get the figure parts back.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854

I've noted a couple of outfits that do that. I think that the clothing is geographted to the figure and that it is actually replacing that part of the figure. I find it most vexing when I am trying to figure out what to put the character in since it nurfs further options.

MelanieL said:
    barbult said:
    MelanieL said:

I love those Fredels products - just wish they were here at DAZ (I don't really buy elsewhere)

Here's a quick render of new boy Jared for M7 with today's freebie CP Winter Circlet. Jared is straight out of the box, no fiddling, the circlet is with the silver preset. He's wearing the Sword of Time Outfit and the background is from Iray HDR Outdoor Environments

Click for large

I got the FSL Filthy Dirty Iray Shaders - because I thought they might come in useful one day (and I have an inate difficulty in passing shader sets by! blush)

I finally got Jared last night with the new Olympia 7 character, Myrina, in the punchable items. I got Andie, too, at the same time. Jared is a little orange for my taste and his skln looks too flat and lifeless, compared with M7. I'll have to tweak him and see what I can improve to my taste. I posted an image over in the Jared question thread.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805
    Novica said:

So I tested some colors that would be awful for skin, to see what they would do. An Ochre-ish got me a glowing blue!

Interesting effect with the yellow-purple combinations. Looks like you're getting the complimentary color on the skin (purple light -> yellowish skin and vice versa). Purple is complement to yellow in pigments. For light, which is additive, it's cyan vs.yellow. If an object or filter absorbs blue light, then red and green light will be reflected and give the appearance of yellow. So is the White Point acting like a filter?

I could be way off on this.. But might the white point not be telling the program what to think is white? So when you put a color in there it tells the progam that is white and to then adjust all the other colors as if that were white? So if the white is warm then it is going to shift the render to a cooler color to compensate?

Khory said:

I could be way off on this.. But might the white point not be telling the program what to think is white? So when you put a color in there it tells the progam that is white and to then adjust all the other colors as if that were white? So if the white is warm then it is going to shift the render to a cooler color to compensate?

Exactly!
    Khory said:

I could be way off on this.. But might the white point not be telling the program what to think is white? So when you put a color in there it tells the program that is white and to then adjust all the other colors as if that were white? So if the white is warm then it is going to shift the render to a cooler color to compensate?

Yes, warm color goes to cool or vice versa. I did some renders setting white point to either R, G, or B and you get an object that show the complementary color Cyan, Magenta, or Yellow. 

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    Novica said:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/846181/#Comment_846181

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/64385/stop-clothes-from-hiding-the-figure

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

I don't like that AT ALL. We need a list of which outfits do this so I can make sure I never buy them.  

Kerya said:
    Novica said:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/64385/stop-clothes-from-hiding-the-figure

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416

My and Esha's mermaid tail does that..  please don't hold it against it...

wink

• jakiblue said:

I don't like that AT ALL. We need a list of which outfits do this so I can make sure I never buy them.  

Kerya said:
    Novica said:

Edit the AutoHide group http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/931417/#Comment_931417

Fisty said:

wink

Yeah, I noticed it was really difficult to make a mermaid with a pair of legs as well as a tail wink

• EtriganEtrigan Posts: 603
    edited December 2015
    Novica said:

I don't own the PJs, but I have the Cozy Sweater Dress by Nikisatez and it does automatically hide the figure underneath. If you hide part of the dress you get... air. If you delete the dress the figure returns to normal.

As usual, late to the party. Fisty, I can understand with a mertail or centaurs, minotaurs, etc. I would only find the autohide annoying when changing clothes. I'll often hide my original outfit and test a new outfit on my model. Autohide shouldn't be an issue so long as the new outfit doesn't leave a space. 

Post edited by Etrigan on
    edited December 2015
    RGcincy said:
    Khory said:

Yes, warm color goes to cool or vice versa. I did some renders setting white point to either R, G, or B and you get an object that show the complementary color Cyan, Magenta, or Yellow. 

What I was brainstorming was what if...I render the scene with the figure in it, so it as the right shadows casts, and the scene has the right hues. Then I delete the scene and only render the character, with the slight tweak in that white, and have the hue I want. If the clothes are drastically changed, render again with only the clothes, and that layer will override the clothes. Then I thought...hmm, ya know, the Surface tab would be easier!  But I love to play! 

BTW, I am SO tickled. Last year I did Share The Spirit, a program hosted by the local newspaper. it featured 50 families that are not served by anyone/program other than social services. Well, last year when I called two of the social workers, several of their families had gotten ZERO response. I was so surprised!  We have numerous cities that get this newspaper as it's also digital / online. (Pensacola, Gulf Breeze, Navarre, Fort Walton, etc) If your newspaper does something like this, please don't assume someone else is probably already helping- I think that's what happened last year. I know for several years, I called and they said the response was overwhelming, so perhaps people got tired of trying and it backfired.

So I had stocked up on art supplies (I was a national magazine artist, watercolors, acrylics, colored pencils, etc) and last year did Christmas for four families with one of a kind ceramic pottery (I owned a studio, gave them my personal pieces because I can always do some later if I want to. My friend still owns a studio.)  It was SO cool!

One family, the mom's lungs had collasped three times, the dad had lost his work trying to take care of her, they had 3 kids ages 2,5, 7. Several families lost everything when we had that 27" of rain (Scenic Highway collasped in 3 places, NEVER happened before, slid down the bluffs in a few places!)  Several families were grandparents with ultra bad health and their children had nothing because they quit work to help their parents, so the grandkids had nothing. So those are the families that no one responded to, probably thinking people snapped them up in a heartbeat.  

Well, THIS YEAR I kept looking for Share The Spirit and nothing. They've done it for years. Well, they ignored me on Facebook and I posted in capital letters to answer me, and got a one liner, "We're not doing it this year." Well, I got a hold of one of the two social workers from last year (the other retired, I was going to help the same families) and the newspaper downsized and weren't doing it. That's sad. But the social worker and I coordinated and I'm meeting her in an hour, I had some stuffed dogs in the top of my closet from when I helped chronically ill kids last year, twelve gorgeous Yomiko Classic dogs, so I wrapped those, then in tin cannisters from last year (I keep EVERYTHING!) I put furry 12" squeaky dog toys I had bought Black Friday, (their pets need Christmas too!) and I had a ton of mint condition Scholastic Books and never-used homeschool books (and the social worker has several families who are struggling and who homeschool, so yay!!!)  

All in all, an entire truckload full. So I felt like "Take that, newspaper!" They didn't even have the decency to post anything about ending the program, or not doing it at all. Shame on them!  If I get a chance, I'll try to get the images off my phone and show you. It'll give you a feel good heart  and that's what the holidays are all about.I think artists/creative people put together the best presents! 

So here's my question to you- what's the best present you've ever put together that was creative?

Post edited by Novica on

LOL- and YES, I'm going to post it on the newspaper's Facebook page too!

Got back a few minutes ago- the social worker said a grandmother and her two granddaughters did a beautiful artistic piece using their handprints last year (with the paints and canvases.) This year, she is doing 27 families (all her cases) and now she has something for every family!  (Her poor little car was chocked full!)  So thank goodness word got out about how the newspaper bailed on the social workers.

Anyone used products from the Leo bundles yet?

Wow Novica what a lovely story. I am so proud of you!

edited December 2015
    Khory said:

Wow Novica what a lovely story. I am so proud of you!

Thanks, but I think I got more out of it than the recipients. I got choked up when I was talking to the social worker about how the newspaper let down all those people, surprised I was so (heated) emotional. VERY angry. This social worker has to wrap a lot of those gifts (sad others didn't do that for her, most of the gifts were in bags/boxes. They could have easily photographed the items, numbered them, and given a list to her. That's what I did, easy smeezy. For donors that she doesn't know, I can understand needing to see the quality of the items.) That's a LOT of work for her- to get that done, she'll be working all night, then delivering all day tomorrow. We already promised to organize a gift giving thing and we'll use my truck next year, but make it a social thing (get a group together, know my neighbor would love to help) and have a pizza party/gift wrapping party. I'll see if I can get these photos off my phone. It's tricky at times. (Did it! Not including the pottery, but got some of the dogs and books.) 

share2015Final.jpg
    925 x 450 - 381K
    share2015Final2.jpg
    925 x 450 - 357K
    share2015Final3.jpg
    925 x 450 - 329K
    share2015Final4.jpg
    925 x 450 - 429K
    share2015Final5.jpg
    695 x 448 - 314K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

LOL but that's MEANT to do that. Totally different case. I'm just a bit stunned it happens with outfits, where it doesn't need it. A mermaid tail NEEDS it. :D 

Fisty said:

wink

It would be rather weird to have legs sticking out of the tail!  The first time this happened with the outfit, I did a double take and thought, "Uh oh, what did I do now?" So I reloaded and then as someone else mentioned, tried to change outfits and had Invisible Gal again. Nice to know it wasn't me (for once.) 

BTW, for you newbies to Iray, this thread talking about lumens and intensity is interesting, in the New Users forum. Yes, intensity does work. I read various things about it, including that it doesn't work in Iray, and thought, "Tell my render that. It's changing!" So scan that thread if you get a minute. 

I've learned/relearned a few things the past couple days from surfing, I forgot Distant Lights spread the same amount over everything without falloff, and there's no falloff in Iray for point lights because it does it already. 

Over in the Leo thread, I read there's NO EYE COLORS, only the one he comes with, and that's disgusting IMO. If it were a female we'd have at least four, I'm sure. 

Just popping in for a moment in between holiday preparations. My son arrived from Washington state on the red-eye this morning, my daughter is dropping off one of my grandsons for me to babysit (i.e., play together) and my other daughter and her husband will arrive tomorrow. Busy but fun time!

I purchased Odelle based on Novica's and jakiblue's renders. Really like that there's a good quality older character. That's what I appreciate about this thread. Since I discovered Pt 5 a while back, I've purchased many items based on what's been reviewed here. It's good to see examples beyond the promos to decide whether a product is something I can use. I also appreciate the tips on using Iray and other parts of Daz Studio. Thanks Novica for your service to the community (and for letting others join in as well)!

Also thanks for your story about Share the Spirit. If your newspaper is like ours, there's been so many changes with big cut-backs in staff and coverage, they're not the same anymore. Another group that can be overlooked is children of those in prison, many who are also poor as a result - Angel Tree is one organization that helps by giving presents on behalf of the parent in prison, so their children don't feel they were forgotten. 

edited December 2015

Happy Holidays Rich- have fun with the family Grandpa! (That has a nice sound to it!) 

Thanks for the compliments, it's fun when people pitch in and share what they like and learn. Speaking of which-

Something we've done a few years.... wanted to remind everyone so you can start thinking- we always end our year with our Top Ten Picks of things we have bought OR rendered for the first time (doesn't have to be bought this year) that we would recommend to other people. If you include Genesis 3 Male or Female (or Victoria or Michael) then don't count those and do 11 or 12 instead of 10. So start thinking, go back through your renders (I'm going to have to go back through my thread(s), handy that they're dated!) and help other folks zoom in on some of your favorite products!  They don't have to be the "best" (that is opinion anyway) but ones you think others would benefit from in their runtimes. I always look forward to this!

I'm going to avoid the ones I think will hit many lists, and see what other goodies I can dig up that I really liked. So give it some thought, no rush, I'm busy the rest of the day as company flying in tonight. You folks on the East Coast drive safely if you're out and about, lots of rain and thunderstorms- it's clearing out here after three days.

Post edited by Novica on

Hope everyone is relaxing and spending Christmas doing exactly what they want to do- whether it be with family, friends, or simply having some private time to unwind. It's in the upper 70's here in Florida, very humid, seems more like the end of summer or beginning of spring than end of December. (Overcast, day 4.)  Happy holidays!

This discussion has been closed.