A few newbie questions on Bryce (and VUE)

2»

Comments

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Well the links I gave you don't have lots of vegetation or God Rays but they can help you produce something alot more satisfying then what you got pictured there.

From where it sounds like you are at though with trying to decide which program to go with, it doesn't seem like you know much if anything about Bryce and as such doing one with loads of vegetation and or God Rays might be asking too much for a beginner to digest. The expression about learning to walk before learning to run comes to mind. :)

• K T OngK T Ong Posts: 483
    edited September 2012

Ah, ha... :)

Post edited by K T Ong on
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

K T Ong said:
    Or this. (Trying to create an underground cavern scene. Don't think it looks convincing.)

Well unfortunately alot of the tutorials on the internet are a bit old and came from a time when Bryce was less advanced and people's computers were also less advanced. If you want photo realism I'd recommend you focus more on the tutorials out there available from Horo Wernli and David Brinnen since their tutorials are based on the more advanced Bryce 7 Pro.

edited December 1969

Advice taken. Thanks!

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

K T Ong said:
    Or this. (Trying to create an underground cavern scene. Don't think it looks convincing.)

This one might help you here... it is fairly lightweight http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/bryce-tutorials/panoramic-caverns.html

edited September 2012

I actually tried following this tute once but at a certain point you lost me. (I'm using Bryce 7, the latest one, in case that's got anything to do with it.)

Maybe I'll try it again to recall at which point I got lost...

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,111
    edited December 1969

There is no difference of Bryce versions for this tutorial. It was made using Bryve 5.01 or 5.5. No problems with 7.1.

• GjSGjS Posts: 47
    edited December 1969

OMG that figure looks scrumptious like a gingerbread man with licorice legs and a mint head with a creamy center. :)

About year or so ago I did try Vue (Pioneer) but seriously wanted for more and figured (no pun intended) after looking at options (other versions and addons) that I would have to spend a fair bit to get what I needed so I stayed with Bryce and I'm a happy with the renders I've been getting. Sure it takes more effort to get landscapes and such to look really very nice (that can be said with any software) but I guess creativity is labor of love. No matter the years of experience or software one uses; there will always be something new to learn, I always strive to do better than my previous renders.

Maybe one day I'll get Vue (budget permitting) but for now Bryce will do nicely and best of all it's free :)

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,111
    edited December 1969

@K T Ong - you may also click on [My Website] below and go to Raytracing. There's a lot of information about Bryce and some freebies, too.

Another thing to consider is the community. I participated once in a (French) community that worked with Vue d'ésprit but accepted Bryce renders in their galleries. After I sent them a few, they were astonished about Bryce's capabilities - and I'm only moderately good, if at all. On that gallery and forum (got hacked meanwhile, the owner had no backup), I felt competition and scorn prevailing. "Brycers" are different. We share. We may ask "how did you do this" and get answers - not just a "c'est mon secret" {it's my secret}). The community is what kept me mostly at Bryce and without it, I'd stopped using it years ago.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

K T Ong said:
    I actually tried following this tute once but at a certain point you lost me. (I'm using Bryce 7, the latest one, in case that's got anything to do with it.)

Maybe I'll try it again to recall at which point I got lost...

did you get the newsletter - Vue back to school sale 30% off on some versions
    no you don't have to be in school

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Bryce and Vue well for me it is like comparing apples with oranges. I use/d both and depending on what I want to do I will use either. But I am leaning toward Vue all the time becasue I am a nature nut and want to create detail that Bryce cannot handle due to memeory issues. If it ever gets to be a 64bit piece of software then I would love to to use it more. But hey I cannot deny I have had some fun using Bryce and easy to learn given the amount of information that is out there now.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

I don't have any experience with Vue, but I do like a lot of the stuff I see created with it. I often raid Vue galleries looking for tricks that I can steal and implement in some way in Bryce. I generally feel Vue is a solid application that can do what it is said to do, if you can afford all of the modules.

Bryce is my chosen love interest as of yet. To get really unusual results often requires unusual amounts of work, not ideal for everyone. I will say that Bryce 7 closes the gap between Vue and Bryce quite nicely though not completely.

edited September 2012

Sara16 said:
    OMG that figure looks scrumptious like a gingerbread man with licorice legs and a mint head with a creamy center. :)

Ummmm, you probably don't want to fool around with a superhero who can create worlds. Even Superman can't do that.;-)

Think I'll probably follow your example and get VUE and its modules when I'm more loaded, while sticking to Bryce for now. Certainly what Szark and Rashad said is tempting me with respect to VUE.

Horo said:
    Another thing to consider is the community. I participated once in a (French) community that worked with Vue d'ésprit but accepted Bryce renders in their galleries. After I sent them a few, they were astonished about Bryce's capabilities - and I'm only moderately good, if at all. On that gallery and forum (got hacked meanwhile, the owner had no backup), I felt competition and scorn prevailing. "Brycers" are different. We share. We may ask "how did you do this" and get answers - not just a "c'est mon secret" {it's my secret}). The community is what kept me mostly at Bryce and without it, I'd stopped using it years ago.

Seems the French are indeed well-known for being rather proud... Then again, it's perhaps unfair to generalize...

As for the Bryce community, my own experience here so far certainly confirms what you said!

did you get the newsletter - Vue back to school sale 30% off on some versions
    no you don't have to be in school

Afraid not. Guess I missed out on something.

No matter. I shall continue to wait for the big VUE offer where you can get any 3 modules free -- just like DAZ 3D has been giving away DAZ Studio, Bryce and Hexagon for free.:lol:

• alymacalymac Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Since you were looking for tutorials, why not download some free scene files to explore and take apart? They dont come with tutorials, but i call them starter scenes, to move stuff around, adjust skies, add more vegetation, etc . They're free as are all the models etc on this site.

http://www.ShareCG.com/v/62953/gallery/5/3D-Model/Misty-Forest-BR7

PS don't forget the great tutorials listed on the sticky page of the forum.

edited September 2012

I'd need to know how I could take them apart in the first place, of course... :)

Real groovy scenes, BTW.