NoPokethrough plugin alpha version available for testing

Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
edited December 2015 in Carrara Discussion

I'll stop hijacking HeadWax's thread call Fenric and start my own.

it's a modifier you can apply on any figure or prop that removes poke through. It also creates morphs so that you don't have to do the computation every time you do something.

Morphs are keyframed and you can add different ones for different situations (a poke through created by a particular posture).

Link to the alpha version : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bztu9Tp7eavmdFN4dnhIUHItc1E/view?usp=sharing

Decompress and move files to extension folder in Carrara install. Carrara 8.x Windows 32 and 64 bit only.

Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on

Comments

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 2015

Add "No PokeThrough general utility" modifier to the actor or model of the cloth. You can have as much as you need (one initial, another one for cloth on cloth situation, other dedicated to a particular posture that isn't solved by the initial one).

Target : Object to check against. Often, it's the figure wearing the cloth, but not necessarily. Can be other clothes (cloth on cloth poke through), a prop or whatever you can intersect with. It's better be the instance (model or actor, not the figure or a group, unlike the example). I can't figure out why, but the intersection works better.

Distance from body : minimum distance to body. Default to 0.1 inch (2.54mm)

Dynamic : If ticked, collision solving is done whenever necessary. As it can take from 0.1 seconds, up to 2 or 3 depending on complexity, use it sparsily before creating a morph (because whenever necessary maybe quite often :-))

Morph name. Name that will be used for storing morph into the model. Will be corrected if necessary for unicity.

"Create" button : create the morph

"Update" button : update the morph offsets (resolve collision again)

Morph value : coefficient of the morph (as in parameter tab).

aded

"Delete" button : delete the morph

edited December 2015

Bug history

Bug or feature request Author status Link to post
    Memory not released JaguarElla Done Link
    Modifier can select its own model, leading to infinite loop head wax Done Link
    Modifier can select groups or helper, leading to insatisfactory result head wax Done Link
    Mac version BrianP21361 Pending Link
    Crash when creating morph in C8.1 head wax Done Link
    Added 'delete morph' button Philemo Done  

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

Fantastic Philemo, this does need a thread of its own to focus on what you have made! Will check the new version in the morning! Thanks again :)

• Philemo, I downloaded and scratched the surface last night. I'll have time this weekend to dive in all the way but just want to say how impressive this plugin is! Thank again! 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,024

What a great idea.  Can't wait to test it out.  In addition to eliminating poke through, my mind immediately went to some of the other ways this might be used - perhaps using morphing parts of the target mesh to keyframe movements and morphing of a second mesh?  Maybe, we will see.

Really appreciate the detailed work that must have gone into this project.  Thank you.

edited December 2015

Duplicate post

• diomede said:

What a great idea.  Can't wait to test it out.  In addition to eliminating poke through, my mind immediately went to some of the other ways this might be used - perhaps using morphing parts of the target mesh to keyframe movements and morphing of a second mesh?  Maybe, we will see.

Really appreciate the detailed work that must have gone into this project.  Thank you.

I thing you can do something like that  wink

Han Solo fridge

• Or a weird pregnacy like in Alien

edited December 2015

Philemo, new changes work very well thankyou! The delete morph is vert handy :)

Havent been able to mimic the hans solo frozen act yet though :)

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 2015

Here's K4. I added the no poke through to k4 and used his clothes as targets. His leg is missing because i have hiidden polys before and cant get them back! Carrara 8.5 slowed to a crawl after a while. No idea why!

Edit first image with very rough texture

Doc1.jpg
    1638 x 1709 - 126K
    Doc2.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 336K
  • McGuiverMcGuiver Posts: 219

Philemo,

Looks like this may be useful in several ways.....I'm thinking of trying it to raise waves from underneath the water using a shaped target object.

Gotta wait for an 8.1 version to experiment.  :)

Great talent!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

This is good yes

took me a while to find it lol.. then a few times to work out what was going on, so managed to total out Carrara big time which was exciting in itself devil

Once I started to get the jist of it, it worked like a charm.. thanks for your efforts enlightened wink

head wax said:

Here's K4. I added the no poke through to k4 and used his clothes as targets. His leg is missing because i have hiidden polys before and cant get them back! Carrara 8.5 slowed to a crawl after a while. No idea why!

Edit first image with very rough texture

sharks?

land ones at  that :)

• Philemo said:

Or a weird pregnacy like in Alien

Good idea for a plugin.

I already tested it with sphere and the plane and results are not good, maybe I'm doing something wrong ... sad

• head wax said:

Here's K4. I added the no poke through to k4 and used his clothes as targets. His leg is missing because i have hiidden polys before and cant get them back!

So, instead of morphing the clothes so that the kid doesn't poke through, you went for morphing the kid to incorporate the clothes in it, so that you don't need the clothes after that..

It's a very neat idea. After all, for instance, it's the way predatron Lorez family is working. For sure, there's no fear of pokethrough to have after that.

head wax said:
    Carrara 8.5 slowed to a crawl after a while. No idea why!

Argh, still some issue... Was the "dynamic" checkbox ticked ?

• Good idea for a plugin.

I already tested it with sphere and the plane and results are not good, maybe I'm doing something wrong ... sad

That's weird because that was exactly my test bench.

Did you use primitive or were the sphere and plane made with a vertex object ?

Primitive as target should work, but you cannot create morph on a primitive.

For big pokethrough, morphs need to be created gradually, using the "update" button.  I'll try to post a video today.

• Stezza said:

This is good yes

took me a while to find it lol.. then a few times to work out what was going on, so managed to total out Carrara big time which was exciting in itself devil

Once I started to get the jist of it, it worked like a charm.. thanks for your efforts enlightened wink

I think I need to make some user documentation here :-)

Thank you for the testing.

• TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 732

Thanks for the toys will have to play with this a bit

Philemo said:
    head wax said:

Here's K4. I added the no poke through to k4 and used his clothes as targets. His leg is missing because i have hiidden polys before and cant get them back!

So, instead of morphing the clothes so that the kid doesn't poke through, you went for morphing the kid to incorporate the clothes in it, so that you don't need the clothes after that..

It's a very neat idea. After all, for instance, it's the way predatron Lorez family is working. For sure, there's no fear of pokethrough to have after that.

head wax said:
    Carrara 8.5 slowed to a crawl after a while. No idea why!

Argh, still some issue... Was the "dynamic" checkbox ticked ?

Sorry just saw this!!! Yes the dynamic checkbox was ticked I think. I forgot to mention that it will make morphs in Car 8.1 it just gives error when you click create.

Philemo said:

Good idea for a plugin.

For big pokethrough, morphs need to be created gradually, using the "update" button.  I'll try to post a video today.

Hi Philemo,

I made a simple high res cube and tried to 'drape' it over a sleeping k4 (like a blanket) but it didn't work. Not complaining, just mentioning it as feedback!!

The poke through was BIG, I was seeking out the limits of the programme. Will do plane and sphere next.

edited December 2015

Yes it works pretty well!! This is with two morphs, the plane is pretty high density mesh with smoothing applied

aaaaaa.jpg
    1358 x 1158 - 136K
    edited December 2015

I think I'm doing something wrong!

M3Homer_wrong.jpg
    640 x 480 - 18K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • If I had Homer poking out of me, I wouldn't be half as calm as that dude!  

Nice idea for a plugin; have to wait for a Mac version.  Might actually get me to try more content...

Stezza said:

it just started as a pimple on me navel ...

• Stezza said:

I think the weird pregnancy bit has been demonstrated wink (or could we make it weirder ?)

If you add more distance (something like an inch), you'll have a smoother effect, more 'thru the womb' like.

• Philemo said:

Good idea for a plugin.

No primitives, I'm affraid, just a regular sphere and plane created in vertex room sad

• This looks awesome..

Will you be selling it here at Daz or elsewhere.??

S.K

• This looks awesome..

Will you be selling it here at Daz or elsewhere.??

S.K

I must say I haven't really thought about that yet (first thing, have the thing working smiley). If Daz is interested, why not.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

Thank you for this work, Phil !
    I read somewhere that it doesn't work with C8.1, is there so much difference with C8.5 ?
    I hope that you will be able to quickly solve this problem because I can waite to test this interesting plugin, especially for animation.

Thanks to you and all the developpers, you keep Carrara alive !