GET DAZ STUDIO 4.5! See why you should do it today!

Comments

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Looks like the wrong UV is assigned to face and head..... It should be an easy fix by choosing the correct UV from the Surface tab.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Looks like they eye map is subbed for the face map. Might be an issue in how the material file was written.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

Coldrake said:
    The problem you're having in this image, is that in DAZ Studio 4.5?

Coldrake

..no, 4.0.3.47. I'd expect the same (or worse) from 4.5 as it is even more demanding on system resources than 4.0.

...checked the UV and couldn't see a difference in it between having the Standard V4 (which does work) and Tindra map applied. The Default Steph 4 map also does the same thing as the Tindra one.

Don't have this issue using S3A.

• ColdrakeColdrake Posts: 236
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Coldrake said:
    The problem you're having in this image, is that in DAZ Studio 4.5?

Coldrake
    ..no, 4.0.3.47.

Lori_T was asking about opening DAZ Studio 4 files in 4.5.

Thanks for that encouragement - NOW I can give it a go
    WooHoo!!
    You're welcome! I haven't had any problems at all in 4.5.

Coldrake

edited December 1969

...OK, back. Tried to fix through Surfaces and the application crashed to the desktop. Viewing the logfile, apparently 4.0 is having issues with the Tindra MAT as there were warnings that the Tindra Face, Limbs, and Torso all failed to load because of some kind of memory error.

Also received a High CPU usage warning due to TDLMake as the scene was loading.

This is the kind of thing that makes me wonder why they even bothered with a 32 bit version.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    edited December 1969

I'm getting confused as to which problems are in 4.5 and which are in 4.

Kyoto Kid are you using 4.5 or 4?

I ran Daz 4 on 32 bit yes I had problems all related to memory, so I know how frustrating it is, I've also run 4.5 on a 32bit and the problems for me seemed about the same I don't think that 4.5 is that more of a memory hog than 4. There are ways round things you just have to be aware of the limitations of your system and deal with them accordingly.
    Rebooting DS regularly is one way. I often got textures all messed up if DS had been open for a while.

edited September 2012

I loaded a different Leela/Tindra scene and the MAT loaded fine. When I cleared it and loaded the original scene I have been having issues with, the Harpsichord MAT loaded bad as well and some of the window ornamentation detail didn't load at all, however like you said that may be because I didn't close/reopen the app between loading the two scenes. This to me says there are still memory management issues with 4.

I actually extracted 4.5 and discovered an installer titled Genesis Starter Essentials which is over three times the size of the application installer. If I just plan to use 4 for rendering scenes created in 3.1.2.32 using gen 3/4 characters for the time being, I don't need to install all the Genesis stuff do I? I don't remember having a similar content installer with 4.0.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

I see.
    Do you realise that this thread is about 4.5 so your problems arn't really relavant and can be confusing to those of us who are looking for a discussion on 4.5 and its bugs. You might find it more productive to put your questions and problems in a thread in the nuts and bolts forum.

edited December 1969

...well, I was weighing out my decision to install 4.5Pro based on what I have been experiencing with 4.0, so in a way this has been relevant.

When you mentioned the same operational issues exist with 4.5, to me it says there has been no real improvement to make it any more efficient and stable in 32 bit than it's predecessors. Therefore this validates my position that, in my case, there would be no advantage to upgrading.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Sorry - but if your new machine is 64bit - why don't you just install the 64bit version?
    When your new pc is up and running.
    Probably (Hopefully) we've got a new version out until then ...
    (with working area lights).

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...well, I was weighing out my decision to install 4.5Pro based on what I have been experiencing with 4.0, so in a way this has been relevant.

When you mentioned the same operational issues exist with 4.5, to me it says there has been no real improvement to make it any more efficient and stable in 32 bit than it's predecessors. Therefore this validates my position that, in my case, there would be no advantage to upgrading.

The advantage would be that you would get the extra features of 4.5, the problems will remain because of the limitations of your present system.

edited December 1969

...well that is several weeks away until I have my basic custom Poser/S3A runtimes set up. I'd like to not be totally "idle" until then. I'm just looking for ways to optimise things to be able to render scenes until then. If 4 has an improved and more efficient version of the 3Delight render engine compared S3A, I was hoping it would work for actually being able to get scenes created in the older version of the programme to render in the meantime.

Also, I'm still not sure whether 4 will "see" my custom runtimes properly particularly since they will be on different drive that where the application resides and it is so dependent on the CMS.

edited September 2012

Kyoto Kid said:

The advantage would be that you would get the extra features of 4.5, the problems will remain because of the limitations of your present system.
    ...however many if not all the extra features like Autofit, the Texture Atlas, and CCTs would go unused as for the purpose of creating scenes 4 is just too sluggish on my system. As I've mentioned I primarily was hoping to use 4's updated 3Delight render engine (which supposedly runs a lot faster and better than older versions) to render scenes created in S3A until new system is ready.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,810
    edited September 2012

A question regarding Autofit/Transfer Utility in 4.5: I know that all morphs are now transferred, but does it handle long dresses/coats any better than Autofit in 4.0.3.47 did? Both Autofit and the Transfer Utility tended to destroy the shape of the item in 4.0, even though Transfer Utility might pass the morphs through. (Didn't necessarily do a great job on shorter items either; pretty thoroughly destroyed Hercules for the Freak, which is just knee length. The long skirt for Dark Paladins essentially turned into a brick shaped ... thing.)

I can't upgrade to 4.5 right now, until they release the fix for the area lights issue, but I really really really want to get Veronica Year Three. But in 4.0, there's no way that coat survives either Autofit or the Transfer Utility. (Might be worth it anyway. The coat can be finessed, maybe...) In any event, regardless of that, I have other long coats, skirts and dresses that I've been holding off on, just in case it winds up working better in 4.5.

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,676
    edited December 1969

One of the problems with skirts is that if they get close to the feet DS has no way of knowing they shouldn't be projected into the skirt - though picking the appropriate template may help. Any kind of auto-conversion will have that kind of problem, though it may be possible to provide presets or workarounds for frequent situations. I haven't tried DS4.5 AutoFit on a long skirt to know if it is better, however.

edited December 1969

The problem I find with skirts is the stretching and ripping in the middle, ruins a lot of things.

• TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited December 1969

Isn't there a Genesis dress template that we could use for that? Considering we now all get the rigging/weightmap transfer tools for free, we could just transfer the rigging/weighting of the dress template to whatever skirt we want. Could someone please look into that? I'm afraid if I try it for myself I might break something.

edited December 1969

There is a product in the store for dresses for Genesis.... http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-basic-clothing-rig-kit High priced now but I got it for like $8.50 when it first hit the market so it may go back on sale at some point.

• KimberSueKimberSue Posts: 353
    edited December 1969

Am I right to assume the Genesis that comes with the updated Daz Studio 4.5 is not the GenX model?

edited December 1969

DAZ Studio Genesis and GenX are completely different. One is a figure and the other is a program that transfers Gen 4 shapes into Genesis

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

As Richard says, completely different. Gen X is a piece of software, have a look at the Product Page here: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-generation-x

• KimberSueKimberSue Posts: 353
    edited December 1969

As Richard says, completely different. Gen X is a piece of software, have a look at the Product Page here: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-generation-x

That what I thought. Thanks for confirming.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

No, just that the problems inherent in working under 32-bits with 2GB of RAM will be about the same. There are many bug fixes in 4.5, but it's still going to be limited if you run it under those conditions.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Also, I'm still not sure whether 4 will "see" my custom runtimes properly particularly since they will be on different drive that where the application resides and it is so dependent on the CMS.

Irrelevant, all my content folders are on a different drive (even the main "My Library") -- no problem doing things that way. That all works the same way as in DS3.

• MarieahMarieah Posts: 518
    edited December 1969

I haven't read this whole thread so I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but I've only just installed 4.5 and have been testing a few things.

I'm happy to report that the previous issues with Furify scenes not saving correctly and not being able to be opened again have been fixed. Not only do Furify scenes save fine and open afterwards, but the scenes saved in the previous version will now open also. I was getting a little hoarse from trying to explain to people that there was nothing wrong with Furify that I could fix - that the problem lay in DS - but this illustrates it.

And Furify renders really well in it. Here's my test render using the Red Fox fur...

Fur_Suit.jpg
    600 x 780 - 184K
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

No, just that the problems inherent in working under 32-bits with 2GB of RAM will be about the same. There are many bug fixes in 4.5, but it's still going to be limited if you run it under those conditions.
    ...exactly my point. 4.5 (and even 4.0) should only have been released as a 64 bit application. The limitations in 32 bit are just too severe for supporting the level of performance demanded today.

edited December 1969

..OK decided to give it a shot anyway. Installed 4.5Pro

One thing I notice, it opens a heck of a lot faster and clears out of memory quicker after shutdown than 3A.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

I'm stuck and need some advice on what I have to do and what steps to take.

My installation is 4.5R2.
    I need to reset and download my Genesis stuff (at least)
    I have no uninstallers for any of my content.

(1)Note all My Library Content that isn't DAZ Genesis or DAZ DS4only.
    (2)Tell the CMS to wipe out its data (is that possible?)
    (3)Let the 4.5 installer uninstall 4.5R2 then delete my entire My Library
    (4)Install 4.5
    (5)Install 4.5 Content (is that separate?)
    (6)Reset, download, and install all my Genesis and DS4-only content
    (7)Re-install all non-DAZ Genesis and non-DAZ DS4-only content

Will that work?

or Can I dispense with deleting the entire My Library and install Genesis and other Content that I've reset over itslef?

I've been stuck for weeks now. Too unsure and too tired to tackle this.

edited December 1969

If you have the Genesis Evolution Head Morphs and Genesis Evolution Expressions from their initial release and you never updated them, and you still have the original installers, install them again with the uninstaller option selected, then uninstall them. Other content doesn't need to be uninstalled, you can jut install the updated version and it will overwrite.

You don't need to uninstall everything else.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

...exactly my point. 4.5 (and even 4.0) should only have been released as a 64 bit application. The limitations in 32 bit are just too severe for supporting the level of performance demanded today.

Excuse me - but I was running DS4 on a 32bit system until recently. It was slow, but it did work.
    Old PC: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, Dualcore; RAM 4096 MB DDR Corsair PC3200/400; Nvidia 7900GT.
    And I didn't use the 3GB switch - fiddling in the registry scares me, so I didn't make it largeadressaware.
    If there hadn't been a 32bit version I would have been very, very unhappy!!!