Separate install DSpro 4.0.3 / 4.5

CoyoteSevenCoyoteSeven Posts: 18
edited December 1969 in New Users

I presently have DSpro4.0.3 on my machine and would like to install 4.5 BUT do not want 4.5 to overwrite anything,

How do I install 4.5 as a totally separate program? Is it even possible?

Thanks!

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

No, I'm afraid not. The only way would be a seperate partition i think.

DS 4.5 doesn't really overwrite anything, except for the latest Genesis files which use the .DUF format. You can always unintall it again, and reinstall the earlier version.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,809
    edited December 1969

Preferences are also overwritten, which may cause problems going back to an earlier version of DS. You'd also want to make sure you uninstalled the version of the Content Management System that came with 4.5 before installing 4. The only way to have both is to dual boot, with a separate OS for each - not very practical, I fear.

• CoyoteSevenCoyoteSeven Posts: 18
    edited December 1969

Can it be installed into a separate folder or partition/drive?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,809
    edited December 1969

No, because the preferences are stored in the user profile and the content management service runs for all users, and has only a single database. The only option is to have a dual boot setup (or, if you can persuade DS to run in a virtual PC, to use two different virtual machines). A single version of Windows or Mac OS on a single machine cannot safely run both 4.0 and 4.5, regardless of install location or different user profiles.

• CoyoteSevenCoyoteSeven Posts: 18
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the help. I just happen to have an older XP machine with 4.0.3 installed. I'll try it on that first, that way if it FUBARs anything, no biggie.