Any demand for general store items ? [Commercial]

Widdershins StudioWiddershins Studio Posts: 539
edited December 2015 in The Commons

I think a lot of people go for fantasy art but I spent this afternoon making these.

Are people interested in these kind of things in the Daz Store ?

I sent them to Daz to see what they think, just wondering what other members thought.

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• tl155180tl155180 Posts: 994
    edited November 2015

I'd be interested but not on their own as just a can set - it'd have to be part of a kitchen/food items set or something (although I guess it'd depend on the price). But the one thing I think the Daz store really lacks in is decent everyday indoor props so, yeah, definitely interested.

Post edited by tl155180 on
  • Yes the idea was to make a lot of kitchen products. Packets of this and that etc.

• tl155180tl155180 Posts: 994
    edited November 2015

Good idea then in my books. Its always a struggle to fill out bare rooms with the limited range of props there are here and I do intend to do a kitchen scene at some point in the future, so it'd be something I'd consider buying for sure.

In the way of ideas... maybe a loaf of bread, packet of tea bags, mug rack, kettle, packets of cereal, tupperware containers with pasta etc... the list goes on laugh

Post edited by tl155180 on
  • TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,243

Pantry packs are a great idea, especially if you include loading locations for existing locations like the Dream Home Kitchen.

• I'd love to see more modern day general use items. Everything seems to be skimp-ware and swords these days. 

• EtriganEtrigan Posts: 603

I'd bite. I like Timbales idea of presets for a given model, but moreso, I'd prefer presets for groupings 3x3, 6x6x2, etc. I know it's easy to do, but I get bored opening DS, building my grouping save/exit/restart. The other criteria would be variations on labeling a can is a can, but soup, beans, veggies, Chef boyardee, etc. would help. I don't know what the legaleze is for using Campbell's® labels on a model are.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I seem to remember a selection of items like this in Daz store. Having said that, different textures and sizes to what's there might make it worthwhile.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Etrigan said:

I'd bite. I like Timbales idea of presets for a given model, but moreso, I'd prefer presets for groupings 3x3, 6x6x2, etc. I know it's easy to do, but I get bored opening DS, building my grouping save/exit/restart. The other criteria would be variations on labeling a can is a can, but soup, beans, veggies, Chef boyardee, etc. would help. I don't know what the legaleze is for using Campbell's® labels on a model are.

Very sticky at best. :) They'd object I imagine.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

There is this one (at least) already in the Daz Store  http://www.daz3d.com/every-day-groceries

• ThatGuyThatGuy Posts: 794

I've already got http://www.daz3d.com/every-day-groceries and some others from a different site, but I'm always looking for varities. 

• Widdershins StudioWiddershins Studio Posts: 539
    edited November 2015

Thanks for all the replies. I'll carry on then smiley

Etrigan said:

Yes I thought stacks would be a good idea too. And yes I'll name them appropriately.

As for Cambells, then it's a recognised brand and trademark, so selling it would probably not be a good idea.

Just made this as another example.

screeny.jpg
    800 x 600 - 85K
    Post edited by Widdershins Studio on
  • EtriganEtrigan Posts: 603
    mrmorph said:

Well, just "threw that together" did you?wink

Yeah, that'll work just fine. smiley

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,243

What you've done looks great. I think if you could make some 'parody' designs of known brands and be safe, as long as they aren't direct copies. A lot of store brands will mimic name brand labels without copying them. If you include templates, people can also make their own labels if they wish. 

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

I would most definitely be interested, especially if they come with Iray materials.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,678

I need groceries for my characters as in my stories they need to eat on a budget or eat in general or like to cook.

edited November 2015
    Etrigan said:
    mrmorph said:

Well, just "threw that together" did you?wink

Yeah, that'll work just fine. smiley

Hehe, well it took a couple of hours of playing. The rooster I bought. Glad you like it.

Timbales said:

What you've done looks great. I think if you could make some 'parody' designs of known brands and be safe, as long as they aren't direct copies. A lot of store brands will mimic name brand labels without copying them. If you include templates, people can also make their own labels if they wish. 

Thank you. Yes that's an idea about the parodies, thanks. Good idea about the templates too smiley 

isidorn said:

I would most definitely be interested, especially if they come with Iray materials.

These renders are in Iray just as basic materials. I'll have a fiddle with Iray surfaces too though, thanks for reminding me.

I need groceries for my characters as in my stories they need to eat on a budget or eat in general or like to cook.

Cool, I've got a lot of ideas for this, the sky's the limit really.

I've continued with the cereal boxes at the moment, here's a new one.

wheatos.png
    600 x 616 - 115K
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,722
    edited November 2015
    mrmorph said:

As for Cambells, then it's a recognised brand and trademark, so selling it would probably not be a good idea.

Well Andy Warhol did:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campbell%27s_Soup_Cans

Can't find anything about the legal aspects in his case, so maybe Campbell was just happy for the free advertisement. I imagine many companies would be as long as their products are presented in a positive way (I'll suggest asking first, though).

EDIT: just saw this note: "However, by 1965, the company knew him well enough that he was able to coax actual can labels from them to use as invitations for an exhibit. They even commissioned a canvas.".

Post edited by Taoz on
    edited November 2015

That's funny as when I emailed the PA people I said well Andy Warhol did it.

Companies pay good money for product placement in TV shows and movies, so maybe it's not so frowned on.

Anyway I went with the parody idea a little... don't know if the people outside the UK have this. UK people will guess what it's based on.

ample.jpg
    600 x 579 - 103K
    ample2.jpg
    600 x 694 - 79K
  • Steven-VSteven-V Posts: 727

I am definitely interested in this.  I have several scenes slated for the kitchen area of the DAZ Dream home, and I need food and dry goods and similar items to line the shelves with.

•  

Steven-V said:

I am definitely interested in this.  I have several scenes slated for the kitchen area of the DAZ Dream home, and I need food and dry goods and similar items to line the shelves with.

Okay, I'll spend the weekend on this then. I was going to do things like butter and spreads too, custard powder, flour and things.

I found this old render of mine I did for a Carrara magazine, you can find labels if you hunt around.

Doc31.jpg
    640 x 480 - 127K

Perhaps you can include a paperbag full of groceries(morphing?) for characters to carry?  That's something I've not seen anywhere.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401

Greetings,

ThatGuy said:

Perhaps you can include a paperbag full of groceries(morphing?) for characters to carry?  That's something I've not seen anywhere.

With celery falling out the side... devil

--  Morgan

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited November 2015

You will want to make a large set (collection) of everyday items within the same theme in order to make a set that will be appealing to DAZ or any brokerage for that matter.  A simple can is just too simple and the same with a single box.  It needs to be interesting and the promos really need to sell the product.  Its better to go a little overboard then not do enough first few times out until you start to figure out what you want to concentrate on. 

And when you hear back from Daz, take their critizism with humility.

Post edited by Mattymanx on
  • macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    Mattymanx said:

You will want to make a large set (collection) of everyday items within the same theme in order to make a set that will be appealing to DAZ or any brokerage for that matter.  A simple can is just too simple and the same with a single box.

Yep. I always try to put as many props as possible in my packs. Everyday Groceries has 32 different items in it, and most of the other Everyday packs have 35 - 45 pieces.

Re branding - DAZ won't accept anything which infringes an existing brand name or logo, so you'll have to invent your own. (To me, this was actually the most difficult part of the pack). For example, your Heinz beans cans would definitely be rejected by DAZ. You'd have to call them something else, and change the label design too. Product placement in 3d is not an option. It's been discussed at length in the past, and seemingly no company is willing to allow it. (A mistake, IMO, but there you go).

mac

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    ThatGuy said:

I have a brown paper grocery bag (with a 'rounder' morph) in Everyday Household Items (along with 6 other carrier bags with quite a few morphs). Stuff it with Everyday Groceries, and you're good to go.

• AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416

Fabulous idea !  Alot of us enjoy interior illustrations to.  Kitchen grocery a plus smiley

maclean said:
    ThatGuy said:

I have a brown paper grocery bag (with a 'rounder' morph) in Everyday Household Items (along with 6 other carrier bags with quite a few morphs). Stuff it with Everyday Groceries, and you're good to go.

Aha!  That's why I didn't think of that....I didn't buy that product!  Going in my cart now.  Thanks!

• awesomefb said:

Fabulous idea !  Alot of us enjoy interior illustrations to.  Kitchen grocery a plus smiley

Made a couple more today. A box of sugar cubes and a jar of pickled onions.

Slowly filling up the shelf laugh

pantry-onions.png
    1789 x 1241 - 1M
    pantry-sugar.png
    600 x 416 - 198K
    pantry-shelf.png
    800 x 554 - 686K
  • Steven-VSteven-V Posts: 727

Sweet! This is totally going on my wish list when you release it.

• AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416

Awesome ! Certainly grocery on my list smiley