PS: thank you evil producer

• booksbydavidbooksbydavid Posts: 429
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

nice to see a biddaculture here :)

Don't blink. You'll miss it.

• RGuineyRGuiney Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Here Are some other Carrara Renders I have done.
    Most resent to oldest. (not sure which order they will be when posted.)
    1. Crazy_V4.jpg (mainly testing the Crazy Nights clothing on a V4 morph I had made).

2. CTest08.jpg (Started a project in DS4 Pro, but could not get the Shadows right, so I re-created it from scratch in C8 pro.) still need to add the mosters they are shooting at.

3. Devcoat_Folly02.jpg (just like that environment set.)

4. Docks03.jpg (loaded up the Docks set. It was only half completed, so I filled in the other half with other set items I have, such as castle creator and midevil villiage items.)

5. Mtn_Tmpl06.jpg.. (Started as a test of the set, but then morphed into a test of lighting the swords.)

Mtn_Tmpl06.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 806K
    Docks03.jpg
    1280 x 768 - 516K
    Devcoat_Folly02.jpg
    1280 x 768 - 1M
    Crazy_V4.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 808K
    CTest08.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 624K
  • JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited September 2012

Mr. Guiney, some comments on your images in case you're interested....

1. When everything is in focus, nothing is in focus. A few of your images have no clear focus. You don't draw the viewers' eyes to any one point. The lighting is very uniform, there are few (if any) shadows, and the dynamic range is very low. If you want to give your images drama (which I assume you do based on the content of guys and girls with swords and guns and stuff), then you might want to consider using dramatic lighting and shadows, as well as dramatic composition. It also looks like you have a high ambient setting in some of them, which is guaranteed to make your images look flat and uninteresting.

2. You have lots of nice textures, but I don't "feel" the textures. By that I mean they are very flat, without much depth (ie, bump, etc.) and no highlights or 'body'. There are many ways to give textures depth and feel if you're interested.

3. I like the image of the blonde girl. I dunno, she's kinda hot.

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
    edited December 1969

All of the images are outside scenes so the main light is the sky light in Carrara. Any ambient lighting is what ever is the default. I do have full indirect lighting turned on so light bounces off of surfaces and recasts at a reduced rate which is natural. I do not use Gamma correction though. I also hate hard shadows and almost always turn on soft shadows.

As for focus, if you notice none of the images have anything to consider foreground. which to me makes it hard to set any DoF.

As for the textures, with the exception on the lighted swords, all are the default textures that loaded with the Character or preset.

It sucks major that Carrara will not load light sets from Poser or Daz. Carrara does not even recognize the lights folders in the Poser runtime path.

As you can see from these images which were initially done in DS4, the lighting is much more dynamic, but It still seems off to me.

I am slowly moving myself away from Carrara to DS4, but there are things that Carrara can do that DS cannot. I tell you, if anyone ever makes a working Snap In for Blender that allows it to read the poser Runtimes and load the objects like Carrara and DS can, I will move completely to Blender.

M5_Test.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    HydeTest03.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    CoalitionTest02.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    CoalitionTest.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited September 2012

RGuiney said:
    All of the images are outside scenes so the main light is the sky light in Carrara. Any ambient lighting is what ever is the default. I do have full indirect lighting turned on so light bounces off of surfaces and recasts at a reduced rate which is natural. I do not use Gamma correction though. I also hate hard shadows and almost always turn on soft shadows.

As for focus, if you notice none of the images have anything to consider foreground. which to me makes it hard to set any DoF.

As for the textures, with the exception on the lighted swords, all are the default textures that loaded with the Character or preset.

It sucks major that Carrara will not load light sets from Poser or Daz. Carrara does not even recognize the lights folders in the Poser runtime path.

As you can see from these images which were initially done in DS4, the lighting is much more dynamic, but It still seems off to me.

I am slowly moving myself away from Carrara to DS4, but there are things that Carrara can do that DS cannot. I tell you, if anyone ever makes a working Snap In for Blender that allows it to read the poser Runtimes and load the objects like Carrara and DS can, I will move completely to Blender.

If you are using Indirect Light, you will want to turn ambient light off or very low. Since you are doing outdoor scenes, if you're using a realistic sky, you have the option of having the ambient light use the sky for it's color.

Edited to add that if you want an HDRI type light effect, you need to at the least have the Skylight enabled in your render settings. You can also have Indirect Light, but Indirect Light just calculates the reflected light. Skylight is more of an atmospheric light.

Picture_20.png
    236 x 213 - 21K
    Picture_19.png
    233 x 118 - 12K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

If you are using Indirect Light, you will want to turn ambient light off or very low. Since you are doing outdoor scenes, if you're using a realistic sky, you have the option of having the ambient light use the sky for it's color.

Edited to add that if you want an HDRI type light effect, you need to at the least have the Skylight enabled in your render settings. You can also have Indirect Light, but Indirect Light just calculates the reflected light. Skylight is more of an atmospheric light.

Hey thanks for the info on the Ambient light "Sky" setting. I did that and upped the quality to max while I was out and tweaked the green lights in the back. See if this one image is getting better? If so I will incorporate it into the others and update the original images. I don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into a lighting WIP thread..

CTest09.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 753K
    edited December 1969

RGuiney said:

Hey thanks for the info on the Ambient light "Sky" setting. I did that and upped the quality to max while I was out and tweaked the green lights in the back. See if this one image is getting better? If so I will incorporate it into the others and update the original images. I don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into a lighting WIP thread..

Much improved, yes. You might want to darken the edges either with light adjustments or in post to put the focus on your intrepid group of heroes. Even when you add creatures, having them come from the darkness will just make it more dramatic. As much as I hate to admit it, Joe was right. The focus (or lack of focus) can make or break your image. It all depends on what you're going for.

edited December 1969

RGuiney said:

http://www.blender3dclub.com/posertools/

This appears to still be a work in progress, but from the comments I've read, it works as far as it's been developed. There is a link to the Rendo forum thread discussing this plugin. There is some useful information there. If the developer ever completes the project, I may migrate to Blender also.

edited December 1969

As much as I hate to admit it, Joe was right.

What, you mean about the blonde? I know, right? She looks kinda like she wants to wrassle or something. So can you imagine wrassling her when she's wearing that top? I mean, wow...talk about awesome.

edited December 1969

As much as I hate to admit it, Joe was right.

What, you mean about the blonde? I know, right? She looks kinda like she wants to wrassle or something. So can you imagine wrassling her when she's wearing that top? I mean, wow...talk about awesome.

:smirk:

edited December 1969

Okay, it's about darn time I started working on improving my "creds" around here. Gotta step up my game, buckle down, and start producing some stuff that I hope you guys will find "awesome".

Here's my first attempt, just a quick test image of a Tomb Raider-type scene I spent a lot of time on. I'll be glad to make a step by step tutorial if anyone's interested, but real quickly here's what I did:

Drag and dropped the city, and the character, the clothing, and the dragon.

And I used the Carrara fire feature for the dragon's fire breathing fire. I cranked the ambient up a lot, then loaded an HDRI and turned on all the ambient and GI rendering options, and of course caustics to get the reflections off the windows, and turned on Realistic Sky and some other stuff. The render took a long time, probably around three days.

Hope you guys like it.

Angelina.jpg
    1000 x 861 - 167K
  • Frank__Frank__ Posts: 302
    edited September 2012

-

Post edited by Frank__ on
  • Frank__Frank__ Posts: 302
    edited September 2012

-

Post edited by Frank__ on
    edited December 1969

This appears to still be a work in progress, but from the comments I've read, it works as far as it's been developed. There is a link to the Rendo forum thread discussing this plugin. There is some useful information there. If the developer ever completes the project, I may migrate to Blender also.

Yeah, he's been working on that for quite a while. Good for him, I imagine it's a huge task. I'd think that a bunch of content vendors and developers would be interested in maybe chipping in and/or supporting him. I expect there will be a mass exodus to Blender if that ever happens. Though it might be a very long while until it (or equivalent) are in shape for primetime.

edited December 1969

And here's something not nearly as cool and fancy as the last image, only two spots and a 1 minute render time, but I thought I'd post it anyway.

TombRaider_007.jpg
    929 x 716 - 135K
    edited December 1969

Okay, it's about darn time I started working on improving my "creds" around here. Gotta step up my game, buckle down, and start producing some stuff that I hope you guys will find "awesome".

Here's my first attempt, just a quick test image of a Tomb Raider-type scene I spent a lot of time on. I'll be glad to make a step by step tutorial if anyone's interested, but real quickly here's what I did:

Drag and dropped the city, and the character, the clothing, and the dragon.

And I used the Carrara fire feature for the dragon's fire breathing fire. I cranked the ambient up a lot, then loaded an HDRI and turned on all the ambient and GI rendering options, and of course caustics to get the reflections off the windows, and turned on Realistic Sky and some other stuff. The render took a long time, probably around three days.

Hope you guys like it.

I think you may need to go float in the ocean again. Get a grip and quit acting like a troll.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited December 1969

RGuiney said:

thanks evil,
    even though I know everything about anything.... ;)
    I never knew there was that that sky choice in the ambient light!
    I guess I just go to it and turn the slider to zero without even looking around

obliged to you!

edited September 2012

Just because.
    My version of a Tomb Raider style image. Certified, Sarcasm Free®™**

**The image, not the post.

The-Tomb-Raider.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 890K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

I think you may need to go float in the ocean again. Get a grip and quit acting like a troll.

Yeah, I think you're right. At some point you'd think I'd get the message that folks here just ain't interested in what I have to say, and probably never will be. And that one person listening quietly in the background and trying to learn the craft just ain't there.

Good advice. Thanks.

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

Here's the only render I've had time for recently.

It's Bob Burden's Flaming Carrot character (Palookaville's Protector and my Favorite Super-Hero!) who seems to have finally met the one enemy he stands no chance against!

The Flaming Carrot origin states that "having read 5,000 comics in a single sitting to win a bet, this poor man suffered brain damage and appeared directly thereafter as — the Flaming Carrot!" Read more about The Flaming Carrot here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaming_Carrot_Comics

Or better yet, just do an image search for "Flaming Carrot"

fcbb.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 374K
  • de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

A Space ship I've been working on in Hexagon.
    Tried to make it look like Dr. Zarkov's from the old Flash Gordon serials.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. Was more of a modeling exercise than anything else.

planet_of_peril.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 332K
    edited December 1969

Ho Great ship. captures the era superbly.

The smoke is in post?
    Did you make your own brushes for that?

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Ho Great ship. captures the era superbly.

The smoke is in post?
    Did you make your own brushes for that?

Thanks! It's really hard to find clear images of the original ship to use as reference. I had to make a few guesses.

The smoke is from four particle generators. I had to futz around a lot to get it to look like smoke. I still don't really understand how to use Carrara's particle generator properly.

edited September 2012

you did a good job making the smoke - I waz convinced :)

try these in post when you get a chance http://davidpaterson.deviantart.com/art/CLOUD-BRUSHSET-137672182

add drop shadows and make them grey and white etc works not bad

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

de3an said:

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. Was more of a modeling exercise than anything else.

That's pretty cool. I love those old serials.

edited December 1969

de3an said:

That looks awesome. The only thing you're missing is the strings! ;-)

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    you did a good job making the smoke - I waz convinced :)

try these in post when you get a chance http://davidpaterson.deviantart.com/art/CLOUD-BRUSHSET-137672182

add drop shadows and make them grey and white etc works not bad

Thanks for the link to the brushes. They do work nicely! :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

de3an said:

Ha! I knew I forgot something. :lol:

edited September 2012

de3an said:
    de3an said:

Ha! I knew I forgot something. :lol:

They used strings!!! I that was all for real. Another piece of my childhood shattered.

Post edited by booksbydavid on
This discussion has been closed.