Texture Converter 2 and Genesis

Mosk the ScribeMosk the Scribe Posts: 888
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Is there a way (using Texture Converter 2 or other means) to get old textures from Generation 3 and 4 characters onto the Genesis figure?

Thanks

Comments

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited September 2012

Genesis accepts Generation 4 textures. You could convert Generation 3 textures to 4 :)

Post edited by SpyroRue on
  • Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited December 1969

If there was a m4 to M5 plugin that would solve our M5 Gen issue:) But only if the gens was supported as well. I'd pay top dollar for that.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    If there was a m4 to M5 plugin that would solve our M5 Gen issue:) But only if the gens was supported as well. I'd pay top dollar for that.

As I recall, TC2 does not support gens maps.

edited December 1969

I know:). Thats why I said If only the gens was supported. Is there a reason why they don't?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

IIRC it was discussed in their thread on the old forums, but I don't have a link handy.

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

Male Gens aren't supported as was mentions. The FAQ for TC2 mentions this and explains why.

http://www.textureconvertor.com/faq.asp

edited December 1969

Ahhh. So its a moral thing. I can respect that:)

• edited September 2012

Zev0 said:
    Ahhh. So its a moral thing. I can respect that:)

Can the gen 3 maps be refitted using photoshop or gimp? I would think there are limited ways to uv map these parts, but I haven't looked at the maps.

Post edited by nieman151_516f901a4a on
    edited September 2012

Yes they can, but it all depends how good you are in those apps. The hardest part is seam matching in a 2d app. What I do is paint the M3 gens texture directly on the m4 gens mesh and save it out as a m4 uv conversion.

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited September 2012

Zev0 said:
    Yes they can, but it all depends how good you are in those apps. The hardest part is seam matching in a 2d app. What I do is paint the M3 gens texture directly on the m4 gens mesh and save it out as a m4 uv conversion.

Wow, this thread changed topic lol!

In photoshop, CS5 has this wonderfull feacture called 'pupet warp' best way of converting a texture in photoshop! (And that includes the naughty bits) It takes a while to get used to, but its very handy ;-P I have converted Gen 4 texure to Gene 5 texture this way.

edited September 2012

Lol it didnt change topic, its all part of texture converting:) I'll look into this pupet warp thingy.

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited September 2012

Zev0 said:
    Lol it didnt change topic, its all part of texture converting:) I'll look into this pupet warp thingy.

Well seems as though thats the case... Pupet warp is extreamily usefull for M4 to M5 gens textures, you've just dotto line up the torso section and blend it with the meat section lol

EDIT: youtube has some tutorials on puppet warp, to learn the basics.

edited December 1969

to line up the torso, draw a temporary X on the torso texture in a bright obvious color, and rescale until correct.

edited December 1969

But does the warped section loose quality? I know if you warp or liquify something the pixels are not as sharp.

edited December 1969

Liquify is something i avoid, purely for that reason. The only section you need to warp is the actual gen section, if the texture your useing is of good quality and size It dosnt degrade too much. Another tip with pupet warp is only put the 'pins' on the outer edges of the texture layer, I usually cut it out before warping. Any jagging of the outer edges on the texture can be fixed using a small soft round brush and painting the mating colour of its surrounding areas.

edited December 1969

Ye I watched the tutorial on it. Looks interesting. I'll play around with it tonight. My only issue is that it does not resolve seams. That will remain a guessing game in 2d paint apps.

edited December 1969

Pm me if you have any questions... I love photoshop lol!

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,696
    edited December 1969

Another approach, if you have a suitable tool (I don't think DS texture baker will do it) is to take the model into a mapping or modelling application and give it a second UV map, for the figure you ant to convert to (or from, depending on which you are using), then bake the texture from one mapping to another. If you have multiple maps you want to convert, and the relevant tools and skills, this may be easier than using PS to manipulate the flat map. However, it would be a lot of work to get set up.

edited December 1969

Another approach, if you have a suitable tool (I don't think DS texture baker will do it) is to take the model into a mapping or modelling application and give it a second UV map, for the figure you ant to convert to (or from, depending on which you are using), then bake the texture from one mapping to another. If you have multiple maps you want to convert, and the relevant tools and skills, this may be easier than using PS to manipulate the flat map. However, it would be a lot of work to get set up.

God, I wouldn't know where to start with UV mapping in daz, I couldn't even master it in 3ds max letalone on a human figure LOL! But Zev might be good at that sort of thing. :cheese:

edited September 2012

Hmmm that actually might work. However that is more a technique for an indiviual who has those tools and extensive knowledge. We are trying to come up a solution that anybody can do. Can you tell me why when you fit M5 Gens to genesis and hide it, there is a transparent hole on the figure? Its a hurdle that is halting my testing..:(
    Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited December 1969

Lol, I had that problem too. I descovered if u select 'it' on the scene tab, and delete it, things go back to normal... The only problem is of course, If you want the gens back later, you gotta start again :(

• Silas3DSilas3D Posts: 554
    edited December 1969

None of this would be necessary, actually! If you have purchased (or prepared to purchase) the Gen 3 Iconic Shapes for Genesis, their respective UV maps will be available to you when you apply gen 3 textures to Genesis. By default, Genesis uses V4 UV's, but just select the correct one under the UV Set option under the surfaces tab :)

edited December 1969

We are specifically talking about using m4 gen UV on M5 Genitalia. That is what we are trying to solve. M5 Gens only comes with M5 UV set.

edited December 1969

Lol, the topic evolved haha!

@Tigerste - Love your avatar!

edited December 1969

Lol the OP got his answer already, so we might as well continue:)

• Silas3DSilas3D Posts: 554
    edited December 1969

@Zevo, my apologies, I was posting regarding the original topic that was still the topic title and didn't have a definitive answer hehe ;)
    @marcus, many thanks! :)

edited December 1969

Lol no need to apologize. We derailed the crap out of this thread. Your response was to the op:) I just thought it was to us:)

edited December 1969

Zev, how did you go with your puppet warping?

edited September 2012

Oh I nailed it. Its actually a lot of fun:) What I'm doing when the process is perfected, is saving an action script for photoshop, so all you do is load up the m4 gens texture on the m5 gens texture, run the script and it will do the conversion. You'll need Cs5 though. I will have to make one for the Gen and one for the hip. So all in all it will be two scripts. just click run action and watch all the crap I catch on LOL. So instead of having to tweak every set, just run the script and the exact process will happen on whatever M4 UV is loaded.

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited December 1969

OOOO.. That's awsome! I'd love to get my hands on that! I'm rather skilled in PS but I dont have much knowledge on action script.