Scene List - unSelecting ALL items listed under title item: SOLVED

winberrywinberry Posts: 34
edited September 2012 in New Users

Is there a way to deselect an item and have ALL the lower items also deselect? For instance: I have a city scene with buildings, streets and sky dome all listed as CITY SCENE. Is there a way to deselect CITY SCENE in the Scene list and have ALL the items unselectable...as of now I have to go through hundreds of lower items and deselect them manually.

Thanks for any help!

Post edited by winberry on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

I assume you are wanting to keep the other items you have selected? otherwise it's enough to use Deselect All from the Scene pane option menu>Select, or simply to click on a empty area of the viewport or Scene pane. Also, do you simply want to deselect the items or do you want to make them unselectable? You can do the latter by selecting them all, then using the Selectable button in the Parameters pane.

• winberrywinberry Posts: 34
    edited December 1969

Not sure I understand: But say I have a figure in a House. I want to make the House unselected to I can select and alter the figure. Right now, parts of the house get in the way unless I deselect them. I looked at your suggestion above, but all I can find is a SELECT ALL not a DESELECT ALL...am I missing something obvioous? thanks for your help!

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

In the scene tab there is a column labeled S for Selectable -- click the icon for items you don't want to be selectable. If there are a lot of them, select them all and go to the Parameters tab > Display > Scene View and click on Selectable to do them all at once.

edited December 1969

Thanks..
    I checked it out and
    1) if I hand select each item and make then UNSELECTABLE, then the button in the PARAMETERS tab will turn them on(selectabel) and off(un-selectble).
    2) I saved when all were unselectable - but it opens with them back to selectable (meaning I will have to do it all over again). Is there a fix for that?
    3) Also, is there a way or key combination that will select ALL the items listed under one object (including those in subfolders) so that 1 click to unSelect will do it?

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated..

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

2) Please make a bug report if a saved scene is not remembering this setting.

3) Select the top element, the parent or root node. Then right-click on the Scene pane's tab and from the Expand sub-menu choose Expand from selection. Shift-click on the last item you want to select - that should get all of them.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

2) I saved when all were unselectable - but it opens with them back to selectable (meaning I will have to do it all over again). Is there a fix for that?

I just tried this with a test scene with Genesis, and some clothing. I made all of the clothing unselectable by using the Parameters tab, saved the scene, re-loaded it, and everything was still unselected. I save mine as a .DUF scene, is that what you used?
    edited December 1969

Thanks for all your help!
    I retested and in so doing realized that when selecting SELECTABLE in PARAMETERS I was only looking at 1 item: not ALL. Redid, saved and yes..all works great. Thanks again, your efforts have save me hours and hours!
    (no I will try an figure how to show this as SOLVED)

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Glad it is working for you. Just edit the title of your post, and add SOLVED at the end.