Juggling Act for V4 - why so expensive?

HeraHera Posts: 1,952
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I was a bit interested in this outfit, but the price made me double take! Why $99.95 ? Does it come with leaf gold attached ;-)

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/new-releases/juggling-act-for-v4

Comments

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

This is the methodology DAZ has chosen to provide freebies to just the PC Membership base. The item is free for those who are are part of the Platinum Club.

• 3d-username3d-username Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

but why is it so expensive? the price compared to similar items in the store is 5x.

in response to the origional post it would seem that it is a marketing thing to make it seem that users are missing out on a $99ish rather than a $15ish item. i was taken back at the price when i looked at the contents myself.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552
    edited December 1969

Too many items are overpriced in the daz store. I would buy more of the older generation stuff if the stuff wasn't often 15+ dollars for something. Sometimes I think folks need to look realistically at what similar items are being priced at.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I think it is a workaround to get it displayed in the store, it is not for sale, merely a perk for PC members. When PC members who are logged in see it, it comes up as $0.0,

I suppose they could have made it a million dollars to prevent other users from trying to buy it, but then someone would maybe have the money, and someone at DAZ would have to retire :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

As Adam has said, this item is the monthly freebie for Platinum Club members.

If you are a PC member you can download it for free, and DAZ 3D prices it with a large price tag for other members, it is the only way they can do it and have it in the store for the PC members.

THey do not really anticipate anyone buying it at that price.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

but why is it so expensive? the price compared to similar items in the store is 5x.

Because if you're a PC member, it's free. The $99 discourages anyone else from buying it because it's a benefit of the PC club.

• PuntomausPuntomaus Posts: 450
    edited December 1969

This is what it looks like when you're a PC member and logged in.

pcfree02.jpg
    266 x 353 - 28K
    pcfree01.jpg
    615 x 630 - 78K
  • BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,200
    edited December 1969

Yep. It's the most elegant way DAZ could think of to make items available exclusively to Prime members in the new store environment.
    Just let that sink in for a bit :D

Now, seriously, it's a solution, but I surely hope they come up with something better than that once they are done with the more pressing shop issues, because this is confusing people, obviously, and will keep confusing people.

• Velvet GoblinVelvet Goblin Posts: 532
    edited December 1969

Maybe if the description explained the price: "No one really wants to pay $99 -- Join the Platinum Club and get this item for free! This item is free for all members of the PC in September 2012." -- people would be less confused.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

I still think DAZ should run this "special" with the items:

"Buy this item at normal price and receive a year's subscription to the Platinum Club for FREE!"

2 birds, one stone.

Kendall

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited September 2012

"Buy this item at normal price and receive a year's subscription to the Platinum Club for FREE!"

2 birds, one stone.

Kendall

While that idea sounds good at the onset, it would then cause even more headaches when for example like over this past weekend until sometime earlier today [on the clock over here] this very item was free to everybody. Giving everybody a year's subscription free if it were an automatic plus for purchase would certainly raise some ire.

edit: refreshed browser noticing some sign in issues ... and yes! it's still available for free :-)

Also check out the PC items ... $1.99 ... thank you Daz3d :-)

still_is.png
    565 x 195 - 81K
    Post edited by patience55 on
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

That's why my ad says "at normal price"

Kendall

2 birds, one stone.

Kendall

While that idea sounds good at the onset, it would then cause even more headaches when for example like over this past weekend until sometime earlier today [on the clock over here] this very item was free to everybody. Giving everybody a year's subscription free if it were an automatic plus for purchase would certainly raise some ire.

edit: refreshed browser noticing some sign in issues ... and yes! it's still available for free :-)

edited December 1969

That's why my ad says "at normal price"

Kendall

2 birds, one stone.

Kendall

Yes I understand that however considering how the auto-sale whatever works, I have my doubts that it would actually work that way ;-)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

You were seeing it free as you are a PC member by your profile.

But I think if the store could make the free PC membership available only to non-PC members it cold make the freebie available only to PC members, so I'm not sure a combo deal would work.

edited September 2012

You were seeing it free as you are a PC member by your profile.

But I think if the store could make the free PC membership available only to non-PC members it cold make the freebie available only to PC members, so I'm not sure a combo deal would work.

News to me. I am not PC since the system cancelled the membership when I tried to change the cc number.
    Have not been receiving any newsletters and certainly haven't been receiving any coupons.

Last time something like this happened we were told it was part of some special PC promotion and well, like, enjoy it!

Edit:
    From here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/7163/#93157

Daz is giving a few free months of PC membership.

i had an email saying Welcome Back to the PC club.

there was coupies in it too.

Hope I get a letter too. Checked the acct and well, going to be an interesting day.

Post edited by patience55 on
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

I think they put on sale after the month is up. I'm sure I've seen past PC Monthly freebies on sale now.

edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    I think they put on sale after the month is up. I'm sure I've seen past PC Monthly freebies on sale now.

Not the $99 ones. They go to $99. Might go on 20% or 30% sale if/when the batch they belong with does.

edited my last post ... anybody else get that letter?!

edited December 1969

The Steam Truck Red Bizon was a monthly free one at $99. It is now $16.95.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/steam-truck-red-bizon

edited December 1969

The Steam Aircraft Dragon is another.

edited December 1969

wilmap said:

Oh good! Glad to see they've been fixing the prices :-)

It's on PC sale for $11.87 too.

• HeraHera Posts: 1,952
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:

That one comes up with such a fancy name in the shop, and then in DZ it's just caller Steampunk Truck. No wonder I couldn't find it first, although I was certain I had it

• Martin_CMartin_C Posts: 164
    edited December 1969

I wish they would fix this old "penalty" price one day...

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/classics-bundle-for-genesis

The single one bit that I'd like to get is the Radiant Jaguar Hair, and even with all of the season sales (that once applied) it never drops below $42. Which - for a single wig - is still not acceptable. You can easily go to a real hairdresser for that charge... :-/

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

Martin_C said:
    I wish they would fix this old "penalty" price one day...

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/classics-bundle-for-genesis

The single one bit that I'd like to get is the Radiant Jaguar Hair, and even with all of the season sales (that once applied) it never drops below $42. Which - for a single wig - is still not acceptable. You can easily go to a real hairdresser for that charge... :-/

Actually, while it's a little steeper than other bundles, $119 isn't too far off for a bundle of that size. (The M4 and V4 Toughness bundles, which do not include V4 or M4 are $80 each) The true pentalty for that one is that nothing in there is available outside the bundle.

That said, Autofit doesn't do too bad a job with most hairs. (And 4.5 keeps the morphs... usually) so if you have the V4 version (or if you buy it) that may work fine for you.

edited December 1969

You picked one of the very few DAZ bundles, where the bundle price is only slightly cheaper than the total amount of the individual items. Otherwise, for the vast majority of bundles, it is rather some 50% of the total amount.

However, in this special case, the content is only a mixed bag of vintage Gen3 items getting some Gen5 fits. It was probably a perfect freebie back then, but afterwards I rather think that they either forgot to delete it from the shop or to reduce it to some reasonable level.

All other old wigs that are now turned into Genesis are all sold as 1.99 PC items, and if you just take two of them and add some Aiko 3 boots and the odd low polygon armors, it certainly does not justify charging $120 - at least not if any kind of sense is concerned ;-)

• DogzDogz Posts: 896
    edited September 2012

Haha, Daz's strategy on this is exactly the same as London Transport here in the UK, they inflated tickets and and fares to WTF prices in order to push everyone on to the then new pay as you go Oyster card system.... It worked.

Post edited by Dogz on
    edited December 1969

Except that the DAZ Oyster-Card (otherwise known as PC membership) does not help with this specific item any more, because 30% off a fortune is still a fortune... :-(

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

Martin_C said:
    You picked one of the very few DAZ bundles, where the bundle price is only slightly cheaper than the total amount of the individual items. Otherwise, for the vast majority of bundles, it is rather some 50% of the total amount.

However, in this special case, the content is only a mixed bag of vintage Gen3 items getting some Gen5 fits. It was probably a perfect freebie back then, but afterwards I rather think that they either forgot to delete it from the shop or to reduce it to some reasonable level.

All other old wigs that are now turned into Genesis are all sold as 1.99 PC items, and if you just take two of them and add some Aiko 3 boots and the odd low polygon armors, it certainly does not justify charging $120 - at least not if any kind of sense is concerned ;-)

All of the PC genesis refit hairs were PC hairs in the first place, or at least most of them. (I assume you're talking about the SWAM hairs like the Lady Elf hair that was just released.) I know because I have them in the V4 format.

What I picked were the first two bundles I came across that were made of multiple, independently released products (as opposed to suites of products made around a central idea/character) that didn't include a base figure.

And the bundle has several Gen 4 items, which have not been discounted down to nothing:

The V4 fantasy wrap (which is in the refit bundle) is still $20
    Radiant Jaguar Hair for V4 is still $30
    Cuban Diablo shoes... well, the bundle has half of that, so $10
    V4 Future Cop is $20
    The Gen 3 Sci Fi boots are still $20 each (boys and girls)
    Mitsu Hair is $15
    Marauders for M3 is $15
    Roxanna Yaroslavana is $25

These are the current, non-PC prices of the older generation versions of the items in the classics bundle. $175

Yes, $119 isn't as much of a discount as some others, but it's still not unprecedented.

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited September 2012

Except that the DAZ Oyster-Card (otherwise known as PC membership) does not help with this specific item any more, because 30% off a fortune is still a fortune… :-(

Ah, but most of us in PC got it as a freebie and 0% of a fortune is a pretty good deal ;)

(Doesn't help those who joined later, I admit, and there are anomalies with the pricing of that bundle).

Post edited by DWG on