DazPeople would like to see tutorials at dazshop - teach people 3d character creation! (call to al C

Comments

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

fixme12 said:

for maya, max, Zbrush,... and other highend! yes tutorials are available (digitaltutors)

for zbrush vs dazstudio, max vs studio, maya vs studio, c4d vs studio, lightwave vs studio, blender vs studio,....

not "1" tutorial to buy at shop somewhere about genesis...
    people don't need old tutorials, only the new things about "GENESIS CHARACTER CREATION"

this guy did a nice try about Zbrush and poser
    http://www.darkedgedesign.com/

another nice session also for poser
    http://market.target-view.nl/categories/Tutorials/

but still nothing about tutorials "Daz and Genesis & the full design proces"!

Because the design process is in zbrush, maya, etc.... you're just morph loading with DS.

Those examples you mentioned are light on character creation aspects... just mostly into making INJ files and exporting a V4 mesh. Unless you're spinning dials, you'll be looking at book about zbrush or other tools to learn about modifying mesh, painting, displacement, etc. Those concepts will be needed before you even get to DS.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518
    edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:

I do not mean to offend but to me this is broken thinking. You don't sit down at a computer with no context as to what the computer can do, is for, how it works or that it even needs to be plugged in. You sit at it to begin your trial and error AFTER gathering information. Intel is vital before engaging the enemy. The more you know, the more you will learn from your trial and error. Someone doesn't have to hold my hand all the way but if someone has done something before I want to emulate, you better be darn sure I will isten to any bits of wisdom they have to share and will use their work to elevate my own.

Then I'm confused over your willingness to waste more of it. Shared knowledge is how we learn the basics. Trial and error is how we excel after learning those basics.

To me, waiting for any documentation before getting hands on anything is broken thinking. Obviously we are at total ends of learning then since 90+% of my computer learning came from sitting down in front of one and doing, not from reading documentation. Same for learning poser, DS, 3DSMax, etc. Years ago, my first real modeling app was Gmax and when I opened it, the program made no sense to me. I had heard about a book called the Gmax bible, so i ordered one online. Took 3 weeks to get it. In that 3 weeks I figured out most of the basics of what the program could do from just doing and i went from there only opening the book 4 times when i was stumped on something.

For me trial and error are how you learn the basics, shared knowledge is how you take it to the next level

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,731
    edited December 1969

Many of us make some tutorials here and there to help out with things.
    But we really are not a school where we can take you through everything step by step. That would be asking way too much from a PA.

But there is always Dreamlight for those who want a more full teaching.
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/dreamlight

I cannot comment at all on his courses, because i have not taken any of them...but they are there.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:

I do not mean to offend but to me this is broken thinking. You don't sit down at a computer with no context as to what the computer can do, is for, how it works or that it even needs to be plugged in. You sit at it to begin your trial and error AFTER gathering information. Intel is vital before engaging the enemy. The more you know, the more you will learn from your trial and error. Someone doesn't have to hold my hand all the way but if someone has done something before I want to emulate, you better be darn sure I will isten to any bits of wisdom they have to share and will use their work to elevate my own.

Then I'm confused over your willingness to waste more of it. Shared knowledge is how we learn the basics. Trial and error is how we excel after learning those basics.

To me, waiting for any documentation before getting hands on anything is broken thinking. Obviously we are at total ends of learning then since 90+% of my computer learning came from sitting down in front of one and doing, not from reading documentation. Same for learning poser, DS, 3DSMax, etc. Years ago, my first real modeling app was Gmax and when I opened it, the program made no sense to me. I had heard about a book called the Gmax bible, so i ordered one online. Took 3 weeks to get it. In that 3 weeks I figured out most of the basics of what the program could do from just doing and i went from there only opening the book 4 times when i was stumped on something.

For me trial and error are how you learn the basics, shared knowledge is how you take it to the next level

And some of our minds are built differently from other minds. There is scientific proof to that. I'm a visual learner, meaning I NEED images or video's for my brain to fully comprehend what information is being offered. There is also a time element to learning in todays world. If there is no documentation there is good chance that learning anything from trial and error sort of learning is going to be so sparse that folks will give up on the process in time. You can not lump all of us into one category when it comes to the learning process. That's simply WRONG in and of itself!

• chrisschellchrisschell Posts: 267
    edited December 1969

not "1" tutorial to buy at shop somewhere about genesis...
    people don't need old tutorials, only the new things about "GENESIS CHARACTER CREATION"

I would agree with the idea that having more tutorials for Daz and cross-over tutorials so that we can better learn how to overcome differences between the various programs out there would be great to have... but I disagree completely with your statement that no-one needs the old tutorials just new stuff for Genesis for a few reasons...

1) Not everyone uses or wants to use Genesis... yes it's a new figure and some tuts and documents for it would be good... but I suspect those will come in time as creators and daz have the time to create them... All things considered, Genesis is very new to the market and it takes time to gather such materials and documentation...

2) what of people/creators that want to make or still create items for the older figures? Having new tuts for Genesis would be great... but not very helpfull to those wishing to support other figures...

3) it's easier to understand the new workflows and processes involved in the creation process if one first studies the older materials to gain knowledge and practice in the basics before moving on to the newer stuff...

• edited December 1969

I have been a professional illustrator for over 25 years now and one thing I have always done is pour over other artists work to try to figure out their style a bit. That does not mean "copying" their style but what I do is take a little bit of inspiration from other artists works and evolve my own style.
    When I first started working in watercolor after college I "experimented" with over 1000 well wasted sheets of expensive watercolor paper to define my 'style'.
    That said I have been using 3D programs like Poser/DAZ Studio, for over 10 years, to create my own reference for paintings (wish I had access to this technology back then).

What I do when trying to learn a program or workflow is I sit down and thoroughly go through every menu and tab to see what each one does until I know the program inside and out. I also like video tutorials as I can have one running on my second monitor and follow along.

I guess what I am saying is creating art whether 3D or fine art is a creative process that takes time and "practice, practice, practice"!

I followed along with Cath's posts on making hair in zbrush and transferring back to DAZ Studio which was very helpful. That does not mean I am going to start selling hair products but tutorials are just a starting point to evolve your own art through patience, practice and hard work.
    I for one would appreciate any helpful info on basic workflow without giving up secrets and will reciprocate when I have mastered some of the finer details.;-)

• Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
    edited December 1969

1drworx said:

I followed along with Cath's posts on making hair in zbrush and transferring back to DAZ Studio which was very helpful. That does not mean I am going to start selling hair products but tutorials are just a starting point to evolve your own art through patience, practice and hard work.
    I for one would appreciate any helpful info on basic workflow without giving up secrets and will reciprocate when I have mastered some of the finer details.;-)

same here, without the mystery dazstudio genesis secrets vs other software, well it's hopeless...
    try'll and error is no solution for me!
    no thx have other things to waste my time with..,
    some people have a life...

anyway i hope some PA's take lessons from this thread...
    as there are really alot of people that would like to see such tutorials here at the shop!
    teaching is sometimes much more appreciated to the community, then only sell content.
    you can sell good video tutorials too :roll:

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited September 2012

RKane_1 said:

You misunderstand me. I am not waiting on documentation, I am engaging others to produce it if they have the inclination.

I am GLAD you learned. I am SORRY you learned the way you did. I am sure it was fraught with trial and error and a lot of wasted time.

I too have tread a long, hard road to learn what I know.

Wouldn't it have been nicer when YOU were starting out to have a resource of tutorials available to you to teach you how to do the things you want to do? Wouldn't that have saved you time?

I KNOW how it has been in the past, and i want improvement. That starts with reaching out to the community. Now I figure we will get some people with old,cratchety "Back in my day we didn't have any damn tutorials AND WE LIKED BASKING IN OUR IGNORANCE hoping to click the right buttons and not lose a nights work in vain."

But... is that REALLY the best way?

Isn't sharing your knowledge and then receiving it from others the best path to learning along with trial and error. I GUARANTEE you your trial and error sessions will be more fruitful and you will learn better.

Intelligence is learning from your mistakes, wisdom is learning from others.

Post edited by RKane_1 on
  • MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

yes but you are you and others are others .. :)

there should be separate classes for new vendors the way Pixologic do
    I give private and complete classes on skype for new vendors the last years but now to busy with other projects as the time is going so fast lately for me however as promised I will do something from time to time ..
    and I really don't mind if someone learn something and make better life for themselves but what bothering me was they made it own from and shared forward under own name and I don't like sneaky people that sell others ideas that was free for the public and I mean the same tutorial but on the time with better English as I am not native English speaker , but today I would not take it so easy lol
    when I first made my adventure with Poser I did not speak or write 1 word English beside my 4 other languages that did not helped me reading manuals so visual aspect helped me to follow make mistakes and learn .. and I guess it was not bad
    but I believe my artistic background helped me a lot in it also . But today the new people have so much material to follow it is hard to learn everything at once , we started with empty coup so that was more simple way to learn .
    I miss the old times as well as it was all about 3D and passion .. we still not lost completely so it is a good idea to infect others with 3D passion and art

Cath

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,039
    edited September 2012

This is one area where I envy the Poser community. Ask a question on how to do something and they're always willing to explain. Whether its Zbrush, shaders, or a simple "help!! how do I do this" even if its regarding helping you with your product.

As for me, I have learned 80% of what I know strictly off youtube and video tutorials. I for one cannot go through 100's of pages trying to understand something. For one, I dislike reading:) I need visual and audio stimulation. Try doing something complex in Zbrush just by reading compared to watching a person showing you and explaining it. I know what route I'll choose. Its way quicker and easier for me to understand when I can see what is happening to the object being modified, listening to what he/she is doing and why, and most importantly watching where the curser goes for various tasks and menus so if I know visually where to go when I am using the app.

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited December 1969

Exactly Zev0 !

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,877
    edited December 1969

Its one thing to ask a question(s) about certain steps or a process. Its another thing entirely to ask for an all encompassing tutorial.

edited September 2012

Mattymanx said:
    Its one thing to ask a question(s) about certain steps or a process. Its another thing entirely to ask for an all encompassing tutorial.

This all depends on the subject matter. If for example it is a generic technique or process on a specific topic then I see no problem. However, if it is something specialized that you have developed based on that technique then you have every right not to share that information. When you go for driving lessons you learn the basics on how to drive. Your instructor doesnt willingly give you information on how to drift around corners:)

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    Mattymanx said:

This all depends on the subject matter. If for example it is a generic technique or process on a specific topic then I see no problem. However, if it is something specialized that you have developed based on that technique then you have every right not to share that information. When you go for driving lessons you learn the basics on how to drive. Your instructor doesnt willingly give you information on how to drift around corners:)

Your right. By "all encompassing" I meant a large one that entails all steps & processes to go from nothing to finsihed product. Which is the impression I got from the beginning of the thread.

edited September 2012

Well all I want is one on geografting. Its one of the areas that has been kept in the dark. Its strange actually, you would expect Daz to put decent tutorials on these key features for all to see. What the hell is the point off having all these features in your app and nobody knows how to use it? Do they not want more content developed for their figures/app? EG if you release software and you want developers to create apps for it, you give them a developement kit. In our case, tutorials.

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited December 1969

Geografting is new, so its no surprise there is limited info on it. However, we need a DS4 manual more then anything. Im sure if we had that, we would have a tut on geografting already.

edited September 2012

I know on the old forums there was a thread on it. However it is pointless since we cannot see any pics on the old thread. Unless they have solved that issue.

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited September 2012

Zev0 said:
    I know on the old forums there was a thread on it. However it is pointless since we cannot see any pics on the old thread. Unless they have solved that issue.

If you have Firefox, install a plugin called Greasemonkey. Then go here - http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/4005/ - and get his GM Script.

If your on Chrome, greasemonkey is built in (from what I was told)

ps, some really nice Greasmonkey scripts out there for general image viewing (greased lightbox) plus a few for youtube (prevent auto play and download)

Post edited by Mattymanx on
    edited December 1969

it is more simple as you think and knowing you use Zbrush it would be for you a quick in 10 min to learn , I will make one for you as well

Zev0 said:
    Well all I want is one on geografting. Its one of the areas that has been kept in the dark. Its strange actually, you would expect Daz to put decent tutorials on these key features for all to see. What the hell is the point off having all these features in your app and nobody knows how to use it? Do they not want more content developed for their figures/app? EG if you release software and you want developers to create apps for it, you give them a developement kit. In our case, tutorials.
    edited December 1969

Mwah thanks. Cant wait:)

edited September 2012

Here is a link to my tutorial on making ANY PP2 or HR2 CONFORM to Genesis! Works great!

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/1866/

Just transferred AprilyYSH's Lyon Hair set to Genesis. The hat and ruff are both CR2's but the hair is an HR2. Following my tutorial it's now all made for Genesis. A note on the Ruff.... make sure and have it transferred as a loose bodysuit. When it's done select the bones icon (band-aid over bone icon) you will see the bones for the arms included. Select each bone (forearm and shoulder only) right click and in the Delete flyout, Delete Bone) that way when the figure is moving their arms around the feathers don't deform funny, and they will, I know! lol

LyonHair-Ruff-Hat_to_Genesis.jpg
    707 x 971 - 143K
    Post edited by RAMWolff on
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    it is more simple as you think and knowing you use Zbrush it would be for you a quick in 10 min to learn , I will make one for you as well

Zev0 said:

I would LOVE a copy of that tutorial, Mec4D.

BTW, you are awesome! :)

edited December 1969

RAMWolff, Thanks for that Tut! It is very helpful and easy to follow!

edited December 1969

Just updated the post above.... Your welcome.

• DogzDogz Posts: 896
    edited September 2012

Well as a new vendor here, I learned several ways.

1) Google & Youtube
    Much of the information is out there, but its not all in one place or tutorial.

2) Questions, questions,
    Pestering people both here and at rendo - on the whole, if you ask nicely, people are helpful and will often give you the answers you need.

3) Paigerism saves time.
    When in doubt, pick apart files of products you have purchased, you can examine everything from Topology to how a Pz2s has been edited.

4) trial and error :P

As for tutorial making, Im not concerned about competition, but I dotn want to get ahead of myself, im still learning and right now Im having too much fun using my newly aquired knowledge to actually create stuff....

Post edited by Dogz on
  • edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:
    Mec4D said:

Zev0 said:

I would LOVE a copy of that tutorial, Mec4D.

BTW, you are awesome! :)

I second that Cath, would like that info as well.:)

• smaysmay Posts: 233
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

WOW... thanks so much SMAY!

edited December 1969

smay said:

Wow, Smay!

I got Bad Guy on sale and now I feel I owe you the rest of the money!

That was intense.

I wish there was a way to slow down Youtube videos. Does anyone know how to do that?

Thanks for recording your work. It is informative!

• blondie9999blondie9999 Posts: 771
    edited December 1969

As I mentioned elsewhere, I am working on an advanced rigging tutorial that will include a section on geo-grafting.

The Aquatic Genesis product was created largely for the purpose of teaching myself geo-grafting. I ran into a great many snags and unforeseen problems along the way, including one I discovered only after the product had been uploaded and was in testing-- and nobody could figure out what was causing it! Talk about hair-pulling! I finally figured out the cause of the problem, and it was something NOBODY had thought of-- including me. I blundered upon the answer entirely by accident.