When will Fast Extrude be Fixed?

Sal UKSal UK Posts: 432
edited July 2012 in Hexagon Discussion

As this I reported when we were beta testing 2.5 and now after buying tutorials and trying to follow along It keeps closing when I try to extrude edges.

If I dont get an official reply I will have to return the tutorial as without Hexagon working properly seems like wasting more money.

Sal.

Post edited by Sal UK on

Comments

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

It's unlikely that there will be any future fixes for Hexagon. I'd like to be proven wrong, as I think Hex is still a great program even after all these years with no development.

• Sal UKSal UK Posts: 432
    edited December 1969

Yes my way of thinking too cdordoni. I am getting totally fed up with daz software the last version was more stable than this, I would not mind so much if I had'nt bought it and waited for it to be free. at present I have to save after every action as I get the program stopped working so often. It makes me sick as I reported the Fast extrude the day they released the beta for this version.

I wont be buying any new software that Daz release its all just too buggy, and I have been here too long to think things are going to change.

Sal.

• edited December 1969

I will keep Hex in my CG tool box, but do find my self using Blender and the XSI mod tool more and more.

• TerrainerTerrainer Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

It works perfectly for me on an old mac.

• Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

I get a lot of errors when using Hexagon, but fast extrude, as far as memory serves, works well for me. I'm running on an i7 with win7 64-bit.

Out of curiosity, how long has it been since the last Hex build? I've only been here 9 months. Hexagon is a simple and easy to use piece of software (my first 3D modeller and current tool of choice), it would be a damn shame for it to go without further development, if only to fix the bugs it currently suffers from. I feel pretty ripped that I payed for it, even just the $75. When you buy something you naturally expect it to be relatively stable.

• SweetleafSweetleaf Posts: 32
    edited September 2012

I paid over $70 for it back in time, a few years ago, and it's only ever been Crashy McCrash. I've given up trying to use Hexagon. There's a problem though in that there's not a viable, similar modeller available anywhere. The closest is Carrara, but even that requires a different head space to achieve the same results, and I'm currently trying to relearn my production processes to apply the closest equivalent Carrara function/work method.

Post edited by Sweetleaf on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Hi Sweetleaf - long time...:-)

Carrara is about the closest to Hex - something new on the scene and a great contender to replace Hex is Nvil - very fast, almost weekly, updates and currently free - won't be when it is finalised http://digitalfossils.com/

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

I got fed up with Hexagon crashing so much that I now use Silo. So much easier to use too.

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 514
    edited September 2012

Roygee said:

something new on the scene and a great contender to replace Hex is Nvil - very fast, almost weekly, updates and currently free - won't be when it is finalised http://digitalfossils.com/

Nvil (Voidworld) as been around for a few years, just not well known. The programmer as been taking feedback and improving the program for the last 2 years.

I have been using it for a couple of months. I did find various bugs and reported them, the bugs where fixed within a day or 2.

Post edited by stem_athome on
    edited December 1969

Ooops!

From what I read in the Silo forum, it has pretty much been abandoned by the owners?

edited December 1969

I thought Silo (2) was a popular application - seems strange that it would be abandonned. Was thinking of grabbing it next time it went on special. Will have to check out this Nvil.

edited December 1969

Sweetleaf said:
    I paid over $70 for it back in time, a few years ago, and it's only ever been Crashy McCrash. I've given up trying to use Hexagon. There's a problem though in that there's not a viable, similar modeller available anywhere. The closest is Carrara, but even that requires a different head space to achieve the same results, and I'm currently trying to relearn my production processes to apply the closest equivalent Carrara function/work method.

This was pretty much my thinking - though there are a couple I'd like to try out. It seems such a shame that Hexagon isn't being lavished with love, but I guess it just isn't economically viable... or something. Carrara does indeed need a different approach.

• Sal UKSal UK Posts: 432
    edited December 1969

jimzombie said:
    I get a lot of errors when using Hexagon, but fast extrude, as far as memory serves, works well for me. I'm running on an i7 with win7 64-bit.

Out of curiosity, how long has it been since the last Hex build? I've only been here 9 months. Hexagon is a simple and easy to use piece of software (my first 3D modeller and current tool of choice), it would be a damn shame for it to go without further development, if only to fix the bugs it currently suffers from. I feel pretty ripped that I payed for it, even just the $75. When you buy something you naturally expect it to be relatively stable.

It is unpredictable it does'nt happen everytime, Yes I paid $75 for it also or $79 something like that. I have just had enough with it now, But I will not buy any other software that comes out of daz 3d because its all got its problems, I also bought CGDreames's head tutorial but followed it in the old versions of Hex but in this crap they served up I have no chance.

Thanks but no thanks daz!

Sal.

edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    I got fed up with Hexagon crashing so much that I now use Silo. So much easier to use too.

Thing is, Silo is also buggy, and it's on the back burner on the developers list of software to improve, over at Nevercentre. So it's about the same place as Hexagon.

edited December 1969

After seeing this, I downloaded the trial version to test. It seems pretty simple to use - very Hexagonish. Was going along nicely, then tried to save an .obj. CRASH - BOOM - BANG. I'll give it a few more tries before the 30 days is up - really can't be that bad.

Looking through their forum - the last official post by a developer was in 2009, where he said that the next update would be available SOON. Had to laugh - familiar territory.

since then the posts are all from users crying for some sort of answers from the owners and being totally ignored.

edited September 2012

I bought the book for silo because I really was hoping. It's sort of transferable, so it wasn't a wasted investment, but poor silo, I had such a hope because it looked and felt a bit like hex, but that was last year. This year, I spent my money on other things, relating to my 2D art skills and have been avoiding 3D a bit, but I am keeping my hopes up about being able to use Carrara effectively enough to begin doing work some time before the end of the year, and hopefully getting some commissions as I used to.

I'm also tentatively delving in to game modding, which is fine for the people who can afford more stable software, but being poor, well I keep my hopes up, and keep plodding on with what I have. I also vaguely hope that Daz puts more effort in to making Hexagone less gone and more back, working, even if they need to re-write it from scratch, but keep the GUI and the feel of it. Whatever it takes :)

Post edited by Sweetleaf on
  • ThalekThalek Posts: 318
    edited December 1969

I'm with you: I'd love it if they made Hexagon more workable and less crash-prone. Since I'm not much of a modeller, it seems I'm always doing something wrong to break the poor thing.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

For myself, Silo is a hell of allot more stable than Hexagon and it's too bad because both are like "abandonware" for the most part. I'd love for DAZ to prove that statement wrong and surprise us with a more stable and robust Hexagon. I'd love a 64 bit version to since that might help keep it more stable and crash less if it had access to more system cores and memory.

Hope floats eternal! :P