Why does 'head' show up twice?....*SOLVED*

RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
edited September 2012 in The Commons

Why does the 'head' section show up twice in my Shaping Tab Hierarchy? Once under 'Actor' and once in the main section?

Post edited by RKane_1 on

Comments

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

It doesn't for me. Best bet is that you either have old versions of some content installed or have saved some custom shaping parameters (or home-grown metadata imports) that are causing it.

201209050831_shaping_no_2xhead.png
    162 x 355 - 9K
  • RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

weirdness...

What would cause it in the metadata and is there a way to modify the metadata to correct it?

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

Either that or you've been messing around with the property editor and buggered the settings in your morphs.

edited December 1969

Nope, this is after a total wipe and restart of DAZ3d. It was normal... I added a bunch of morphs, and then I opened it and there it was. I actually believre I know the culprit .DSF file but it is encrypted. I was going to download 7ZIP to take a look at it and see if I can confirm my suspicions.

edited December 1969

It is "fixable" as it were, but I don't know of an easy way to do it. Let me think on it for a bit.

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:
    Nope, this is after a total wipe and restart of DAZ3d. It was normal... I added a bunch of morphs, and then I opened it and there it was. I actually believre I know the culprit .DSF file but it is encrypted. I was going to download 7ZIP to take a look at it and see if I can confirm my suspicions.

You could temporarily rename it to a non-daz file type, that should take it out of the hierarchy and confirm which file it is (provided you restart Studio).

edited December 1969

DWG said:
    RKane_1 said:

You could temporarily rename it to a non-daz file type, that should take it out of the hierarchy and confirm which file it is (provided you restart Studio).

How do I do that, exactly? Won't changing it to say a .txt file screw it up and I won't be able to get it back?

edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:
    weirdness...

What would cause it in the metadata and is there a way to modify the metadata to correct it?

Shaping tab isn't one I use, but if it determines morph ierarchy the same way as the morphs section of the parameter tab then that's dependent on the content of the morph files, not metadata (or at least not on what I would call metadata).

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,794
    edited December 1969

maybe it is Zaphod Beeblebrox?

edited September 2012

RKane_1 said:
    DWG said:
    RKane_1 said:

How do I do that, exactly? Won't changing it to say a .txt file screw it up and I won't be able to get it back?

File type is completely independent of file contents, I regularly change many file types back and forth if I can't be bothered to set them up to launch things like editors by double-clicking. I've happily changed an (unencrypted) .dsf to .txt, edited it, changed it back to .dsf and used it without issue. In fact I did it to deliberately do what you're trying to investigate, change the position of a morph in the hierarchy. If you're worried, take a copy of the file first, but you'll need to store it somewhere other than /data otherwise Studio will read the copy. And at worst you could always reinstall, but changing file types won't change file contents on its own.

Post edited by DWG on
    edited December 1969

Well, I did it and it wasn't the one I thought it was. *pout*

And i guess there is no easy way to track which one of them it is, huh. *sigh*

edited December 1969

Okay, DWG.

Your line of thought has helped.

Instead of changing the file names of a thousand files, I had to narrow it down to WHICH files of morphs the offender was in using process of elimination.

What I did was just made a separate file and placed the directories with morphs in them all in there.

From there, I added groups of morphs and then restarted DAZ repeatedly, narrowing my list. Adding slowly each file until the offending head popped up.

It was confusing but I found two folders that have files files that cause the extra head morphs selection to appear in the Hierarchy. When those file folders are not present in the Morph directory, the head doesn't show up. Now I am going to use your method to find out which one of the morphs inside are the culprit.

Wish me luck.

:)

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

Good luck and let us know - mainly as I have this duplication too! :)

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

If your using 4.5 then use the batch converter tab to uncompress it.

edited September 2012

Okay... It was NOT in the third party products as I suspected.

It was in two products I bought here.

Is it appropriate to state this in the forum? I don't want to embarrass anyone and the products themselves are great, they just cause this duplication error.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

You can check Jay_NOLA's thread linked in my sig for the most recent version number to see if there's an update, if not file a bug report selecting "Content Products" in the upper right of the bug tracker.

edited December 1969

I fixed one easily enough. Their was only two morphs in the file so it was easy to find.

The other file has a lot of morphs but only a few for the head where that is happening.

The problem was instead of having Region: "Ears" they had Region: "Actor" and thus it was showing up in the wrong place in the DSF file. It took a smidgen of cleanup in Notepad and its working right as rain now.

edited September 2012

Okay... all problems solved.

I will go ahead and tell you which ones they are because one of the vendors fixed the issue in their .dsf file in their update and I have sent a PM to the other vendor and I am sure they will have it fixed shortly.

Galaxy from Oskarsson and MS Lycan from Midnight Stories cause the issue.

With Galaxy, I sent a PM to Oskarsson and I am sure he will update accordingly when he has the time. If you are brave and impatient enough not to want to wait for the update, you may attempt the solution above on the Ears Flat Morph under My Library/data/DAZ3D/Genesis/Base/Morphs but you do so at your own peril. I fixed it and it works for me now.

MS Lycan 1.0 causes it BUT the updated 1.2 does not. So if you have the issue and this character, then update asap.

I want to let everyone know that these are fantastic products, both of which I would heartily recommend to anyone. Both show an inordinate amount of detail-oriented thinking and artistic flair which I VERY much appreciate and I hope you do too.

That being said, I am happy I got it figured out with the help of my wonderful community and thank you all! :)

edited December 1969

Ahh, I have MS Lycan, but I'm definitely already updated on all my Genesis stuff so I wasn't seeing the issue. :)

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

I, too, have MS Lycan. Now, why, whenever I see that do I think MicroSoft and half expect a werewolf to stand there holding up a board saying "A Feeding Error Has Occured, do you wish to "Pounce", "Whimper" or "Growl"? ;)

edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    I, too, have MS Lycan. Now, why, whenever I see that do I think MicroSoft and half expect a werewolf to stand there holding up a board saying "A Feeding Error Has Occured, do you wish to "Pounce", "Whimper" or "Growl"? ;)

*chuckle* When I saw is, I thought it was saying Ms. Lycan.... then I thought...

"Yeah... I've had blind dates like that."

• edited September 2012

I saw this too in my shaping tab, so now I'm downloading the update for MS Lycan. I wasn't bothered too much by it as they both work.

Edited to add: I reinstalled the updated MS Lycan and the problem is fixed. Thank you!

Post edited by nieman151_516f901a4a on
  • edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:
    SimonJM said:

*chuckle* When I saw is, I thought it was saying Ms. Lycan.... then I thought...

Judging from your avatar, that shouldn't have been too disappointing. :lol:

edited December 1969

fivecat said:
    RKane_1 said:
    SimonJM said:

Yeah, well YOU know how us cats & dogs get along. :)

• edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:
    fivecat said:
    RKane_1 said:
    SimonJM said:
    I, too, have MS Lycan. Now, why, whenever I see that do I think MicroSoft and half expect a werewolf to stand there holdin:coolsmile::coolsmile::coolsmile:g up a board saying "A Feeding Error Has Occured, do you wish to "Pounce", "Whimper" or "Growl"? ;)

Yeah, well YOU know how us cats & dogs get along. :)

True, but from what I've seen cats can put dogs in there place, but cats never like to downgrade. :coolsmile: