GET DAZ STUDIO 4.5! See why you should do it today!

Comments

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited September 2012

Just tried an experiment with an exploded Genesis (from an older scene that I had edited and re-saved in DS4.5): I saved it as a character preset, then loaded it into a new scene. It worked...the character showed up and was not exploded. Could be helpful as a partial workaround in some cases. Might be worth trying this experiment with a pose preset, also...

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

...don't use Genesis as Studio4 runs like crap on my system for building scenes. I only brought this scene into ver.4 to take advantage of the improved 3Delight render engine.

Both the figures in the pic are Gen4. Studio4 is supposed to handle Gen4 characters and all their textures with no issue. Apparently this is not the case.

This is becoming more like a day job than a hobby that I am supposed to relax with.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...I'm totally stymied as I selected the full Steph4 figure in both 3A and in 4 when I applied the MAT.

This has to be an issue with how Studio4 handles older custom texture MATs

I had an issue with some of my older files, not very many but a few (Aiko 3) older files from DAZ Studio 2.3 days. So my suggestion, this is what I did. In DS 3 or 4.0, save out the pose, save out the morph, save out the skin texture set, save out the outfit with all the shaders you applied to it as file unto itself. Open up DS 4.5. Load up your figure and apply the morph and pose, apply the skin texture set, merge the saved clothing file with your current and conform the clothing to the posed figure and go from there.

With Aiko 3 I had some interesting morphs I liked and of course most of the clothing would not fit these forms correctly. With the new Smoothing and Collision features the clothing now fits her fine. Older hair styles smoothed out and look gorgeous. Parented jewelry repositioned and then add a smoothing modifier and set your figure as the collision for it and all the little bits that sunk in, no longer sink in.... much much nicer. Save it all out as a new .duf file. You might have to work at it a bit but you'll love the finished product even more so when your done. At least I did.

I can see using some of my old Aiko 3 files now in some works because of all the enhancements. What textures just didn't work any more I used some of the new shaders I've collected and WOW... esp the metal ones on the jewelry and some of Marieah's stuff is amazing (like Fabricator and Silkessence... really breaths life into old clothing!

No, 4.5 is not perfect, DAZ rarely will have a flawless release.

I just paid $399.00 for an upgrade to Adobe's PS CS 6 Extended .... crashed 3 times on me so far. I'm sure with an update or two it will be fine but even Adobe isn't keeping things perfect anymore apparently. I'd hate to have that job, coding. YUK!

Aiko-FrejaUpdated.jpg
    834 x 1067 - 155K
    edited September 2012

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...don't use Genesis as Studio4 runs like crap on my system for building scenes. I only brought this scene into ver.4 to take advantage of the improved 3Delight render engine.

Both the figures in the pic are Gen4. Studio4 is supposed to handle Gen4 characters and all their textures with no issue. Apparently this is not the case.

This is becoming more like a day job than a hobby that I am supposed to relax with.

Sorry, my previous comment wasn't intended as a response to your issue. I posted it here because I had seen others mention exploding Genesis problems. Not sure what's going on in your scene, but I agree that it looks like the eye map got applied to her face... Definitely shouldn't be happening and I hope you find a fix.

@RAMWolff: Nice render! I agree those shaders look awesome.

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...I'm totally stymied as I selected the full Steph4 figure in both 3A and in 4 when I applied the MAT.

This is strange. I just tested the Tindra mat on Steph4 in DS 4.5 Pro, and it worked just fine.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Since everything is working except the character mats, try saving the morph and pose as presets, delete the figure, load a new V4, and apply the morph, pose and mats fresh.

• artistb3artistb3 Posts: 188
    edited December 1969

Anyone else having problems with Data Transfer? Runs to 17%/"Building Projection Map..." and then memory usage climbs from about 2GB up to around 7GB (out of 8 GB total, see attached). Have to end the process at this point. Memory leak?

This worked fine with DS 4.0x

DS4.5_Transfer_Issue_.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 351K
    edited December 1969

...well Leela is actually a Steph4 character (Steph4 loaded directly into S3A) .

As I recall 4 doesn't seem to "like" the Steph4 character very much (which may be part of the issue here). Unfortunately using just V4 does not allow for Leela's more petite physique. If I inject her morphs into the base V4, all the scaling I worked on will be off.

Setting up the Frangipani Dress also took some doing for the sitting pose and in 4.0.3.47, I do not have the benefit of the Morph follower to fix fitting issues (I do not have Autofit tool as a separate plugin). Maybe I should clarify a bit more, I am using the Standard 32 bit version of Studio 4.0.3.47 not the Pro one.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Sorry, my previous comment wasn't intended as a response to your issue. I posted it here because I had seen others mention exploding Genesis problems. Not sure what's going on in your scene, but I agree that it looks like the eye map got applied to her face... Definitely shouldn't be happening and I hope you find a fix.

@RAMWolff: Nice render! I agree those shaders look awesome.

On my system, I have found the following workaround to be the quickest way to deal with exploding Genesis figures:
    Load the .daz and save as .duf. Using a text editor (Notepad++ for example), search for modifier “id” : “SkinBinding-1”. When I delete this modifier and save the file, the duf-from-daz conversion then loads okay.

I had previously archived a .daz with V5 as the only figure in the scene. Found this workaround as a result of doing a comparison between the V5 .daz-to.duf conversion vs. simply saving .duf after clearing the scene and loading V5 (only) before saving to .duf.

Be interesting to see if this works for others.

• DreamlightDreamlight Posts: 348
    edited December 1969

Hey, second that about no software release being perfect... However, I still think that DS 3.1.46.1 --64 bit is the best release ever. I've been using it along DS 4, and the user-interface is just SO MUCH better and clearer... Gosh buddy, that's some expensive crashing going on... lol

RAMWolff said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

I had an issue with some of my older files, not very many but a few (Aiko 3) older files from DAZ Studio 2.3 days. So my suggestion, this is what I did. In DS 3 or 4.0, save out the pose, save out the morph, save out the skin texture set, save out the outfit with all the shaders you applied to it as file unto itself. Open up DS 4.5. Load up your figure and apply the morph and pose, apply the skin texture set, merge the saved clothing file with your current and conform the clothing to the posed figure and go from there.

With Aiko 3 I had some interesting morphs I liked and of course most of the clothing would not fit these forms correctly. With the new Smoothing and Collision features the clothing now fits her fine. Older hair styles smoothed out and look gorgeous. Parented jewelry repositioned and then add a smoothing modifier and set your figure as the collision for it and all the little bits that sunk in, no longer sink in.... much much nicer. Save it all out as a new .duf file. You might have to work at it a bit but you'll love the finished product even more so when your done. At least I did.

I can see using some of my old Aiko 3 files now in some works because of all the enhancements. What textures just didn't work any more I used some of the new shaders I've collected and WOW... esp the metal ones on the jewelry and some of Marieah's stuff is amazing (like Fabricator and Silkessence... really breaths life into old clothing!

No, 4.5 is not perfect, DAZ rarely will have a flawless release.

I just paid $399.00 for an upgrade to Adobe's PS CS 6 Extended .... crashed 3 times on me so far. I'm sure with an update or two it will be fine but even Adobe isn't keeping things perfect anymore apparently. I'd hate to have that job, coding. YUK!

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited September 2012

DL where is lDP for Ds4??

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

To Kyoto Kid; Stephanie 4 is Victoria 4, she is a morph plus proportional scaling. Since other people, including myself, have been able to use Gen 4 figures and their character mats without issue the problem is in your file. If you still want to try to find out why it doesn't work I have a two more questions. (1) Did you use any odd alpha-numerical character in the names of the Mats or textures? (2) Did you use Texture Atlas?

• DreamlightDreamlight Posts: 348
    edited December 1969

Hey, I've halted all plug in development for now, and I'm focusing on 3D training. LDP1 does work in DS4. I might do a DS4 version of LDP2, but it's not planned as of now. I'll check if it's a simple re-compile or if everything is broken, as it was when moving from DS 2 to DS 3... lol

Bobvan said:
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    ...I just paid $399.00 for an upgrade to Adobe's PS CS 6 Extended .... crashed 3 times on me so far. I'm sure with an update or two it will be fine but even Adobe isn't keeping things perfect anymore apparently. I'd hate to have that job, coding. YUK!

Seems to me that caution is in order when doing a quality comparison with Adobe. No doubt Adobe leads in many application domains. However, they also have a long history of quality problems over the years. Acrobat reader went from a decent program to a very bad one almost over night several years ago.

However, ask anyone at Adobe SQA and you will find that Adobe is now much more aware of the cost of software defects. Whether it be a defect existing in a program they sell (e.g. Photoshop) or a defect found in a program that they give away (Flash Player), Adobe knows full well that the earlier in the process that a defect is found/removed, the lower the cost of that defect. Any defect found by an end-customer is the most costly defect for Adobe (there are several ways in which a defect can find its way to the bottom line) and for most any other software provider.

One can almost gauge a software providers' level of understanding of costs by the number of issues that make it out to it end-customers...

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

artistb3 said:
    Adobe is now much more aware of the cost of software defects. Whether it be a defect existing in a program they sell (e.g. Photoshop) or a defect found in a program that they give away (Flash Player), Adobe knows full well that the earlier in the process that a defect is found/removed, the lower the cost of that defect. Any defect found by an end-customer is the most costly defect for Adobe (there are several ways in which a defect can find its way to the bottom line) and for most any other software provider.

One can almost gauge a software providers' level of understanding of costs by the number of issues that make it out to it end-customers...

Valid points, but I would caution against trying to make this comparison without adjusting for other factors, in particular the size of the company.

edited December 1969

Hey, I've halted all plug in development for now, and I'm focusing on 3D training. LDP1 does work in DS4. I might do a DS4 version of LDP2, but it's not planned as of now. I'll check if it's a simple re-compile or if everything is broken, as it was when moving from DS 2 to DS 3... lol

Bobvan said:

Waldemar, I've used LDP1 in DS4 and can confirm that it works well. I use the included sky background images all the time, and the lights themselves occasionally (recently I've been on more of an UberEnvironment kick).

The product description says it's for DS3 only, though: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/light-dome-pro so you may wish to request that they change it.

edited December 1969

jestmart said:
    To Kyoto Kid; Stephanie 4 is Victoria 4, she is a morph plus proportional scaling. Since other people, including myself, have been able to use Gen 4 figures and their character mats without issue the problem is in your file. If you still want to try to find out why it doesn't work I have a two more questions. (1) Did you use any odd alpha-numerical character in the names of the Mats or textures? (2) Did you use Texture Atlas?

...I used the full Tindra Thompson MAT "as is" there was no renaming involved. Same when I applied the non SSS version of the Steph4 MAT.

As I only have the basic 32 bit version of 4.0.3.47 installed I do not have access to the Texture Atlas which is a feature of the Pro version.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:

That doesn't sound too promising ... :blank:

edited September 2012

...I sent an email directly to the DreamLight site about this yesterday.

Lets put it this way, one of the reasons I am reluctant to install Studio4 on the new system is that I don't have my LDP2. Say all you want about UE and IDL, I still like the look that LDP2 gives many of my scenes and how elegant it is to use compared to the original.

...and I love the Azure Skies add on.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited September 2012

Kyoto Kid said:

Lets put it this way, one of the reasons I am reluctant to install Studio4 on the new system is that I don't have my LDP2. Say all you want about UE and IDL, I still like the look that LDP2 gives many of my scenes and how elegant it is to use compared to the original.

If it isn't updated that ends my support for this vendor ... as easy as that.

Post edited by Kerya on
    edited December 1969

...maybe we need to mount a campaign for an update to LDP2, similar to the successful one that got the Steph4 body shape for Genesis "unvaulted".

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...maybe we need to mount a campaign for an update to LDP2, similar to the successful one that got the Steph4 body shape for Genesis "unvaulted".

Campaigns may work for Daz3d - I am not sure they would work for Mr. Belwon.

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 1969

Thanks guys for more US2 confirmations; after an n-th download+reinstall session, UberSurface2 and UberSoft Lighting Kit work for me in DS4 at last, yay!! I hope they will be recompiled natively some day soon, but for now, even the automatic conversion will do. The new 3Delight is just sooo much awesome - especially when going the "render to RIB - render in standalone" route. It just FLIES on my Core2Duo.

I also love all the new little features like the smoothing & push modifiers etc, let alone Genesis itself that loads so fast in DS4.5 =)

And after I've invested a little time in customising the interface (City Limits + Darkside + extensive recolouring of said Darkside to make it more readable to my eyes + some moving panes around to match my DS3 layout = awesomeness), the only thing I'd want to see more customiseable is the Content pane. Like being able to put "Categories" on top, above "Products" and directories (or hide those two whatsoever) to save the time it takes to scroll past them.

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

If it isn't updated that ends my support for this vendor ... as easy as that.

Pretty much goes for me to.

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

Valid points, but I would caution against trying to make this comparison without adjusting for other factors, in particular the size of the company.

A very good point. I developed safety critical software in a company with 100,000 employees and no-one claimed our software was fault free, simply that it had passed the best development and testing process we could practically implement within the state of the testing art.

• atryeuatryeu Posts: 612
    edited December 1969

I guess this means I'll have to reinstall DS3 and see if I can remember how to save the parts for LDP2 so I can use them in DS4 :( I seen somebody post how they did it somewhere... I don't know if I can remember how they did it. Maybe somebody has a link?

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited September 2012

I also removed 3 a few weeks back after no longer using it much. I still think its better then 4 but need it for face genning and Genesis. Since I Luxrender LDP3 is not much of a concern. I was going to render the attached render in 3Dlight and cloud 9 lights. Somebody mentioned that 4.5 renders 75 % faster yeahh right. Anyhoo I dont think I would of gotten this result using 3Delight.. Maids

Warning very minor nudity

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • edited September 2012

atryeu said:
    I guess this means I'll have to reinstall DS3 and see if I can remember how to save the parts for LDP2 so I can use them in DS4 :( I seen somebody post how they did it somewhere... I don't know if I can remember how they did it. Maybe somebody has a link?

It was DavidGB who posted how to save the environment dome and then the materials. I can't find the thread now.

He was saving the distant light but not the ambient lights, and parenting it to the dome so you could rotate it and the light would stay in the correct place, and then using UE2.

Edited to add: Here it is: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3091/P30/#49712 about the middle of the third page.

Post edited by nieman151_516f901a4a on
  • IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
    edited December 1969

With this latest version of Daz Studio 4.5 I have read through this thread and find the remarks that the Itemized History Items files will no longer contain DS files and some others but those will be replaced with a new file format.. Sorry, I am very dumb about the files and background mysteies of what makes the program go, but I want to understand this statement. I ask therefore:

If I choose to continue with DAZ 3 for a while, and need to reload in the immediate future an item I purchased at DAZ..before DAZ 4.5 .

does this mean the newly downloaded "reload" item will not load/run in the old DAZ 3 version?

Will Bryce 7 Pro be able to import the new version of the updated Item History download? Recent DAZ4 sends to Bryce crash.

I won't go into the all reasons why I continue to use DAZ3, unless you want to know. I understand this is a promotion for the new version.

• atryeuatryeu Posts: 612
    edited December 1969

fivecat said:
    atryeu said:

It was DavidGB who posted how to save the environment dome and then the materials. I can't find the thread now.

He was saving the distant light but not the ambient lights, and parenting it to the dome so you could rotate it and the light would stay in the correct place, and then using UE2.

Edited to add: Here it is: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3091/P30/#49712 about the middle of the third page.

Thank you! I knew I seen it somewhere but didn't recall where. I'm printing it as I type so I can have a hard copy and hopefully get around to it someday soon :) I miss LDP2 :(