Why is my Serial Code for Carrara not being accepted?

SLoTH_XVXSLoTH_XVX Posts: 199
edited September 2012 in Carrara Discussion

I just did a fresh install of Carrara 8.5.0.132 (64 bit version) on my laptop (have not installed it on this machine previously) and input my serial code for Carrara 8 Pro Upgrade and Carrara is telling me "The serial number is not valid".......am I missing something?

I reset my Carrara 8 Pro, downloaded it, installed it and put in my serial from my account and it is telling me the serial is not valid. Why?

:question:

Post edited by SLoTH_XVX on

Comments

• SLoTH_XVXSLoTH_XVX Posts: 199
    edited December 1969

I selected trial for the time being......

But when I try to render and/or spot render all I get is a black screen/render......any ideas?

Untitled.jpg
    572 x 393 - 42K
  • vinentevinente Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

With me, the same issue is happening, i'm forced to use the limited time beta serial

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The beta uses it's own serial number. That way they can make sure it expires so you will have to buy the final release. C8.5 is not an updater for C8, it is a different version....

The spot render is busted on the current beta..., except mine shows all white, not black.

• gregoryhilldesigngregoryhilldesign Posts: 18
    edited December 1969

Just got into work and my 8.5 isn't working! I've re-entered the supposedly still good serial number 3 times... as well as entering my other 8 Pro serial numbers. Nothing.... Just when I thought things were going so well....

Any ideas what's up?
    Gregory Hill

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI GHdesign25 :)

Your other Carrara installations shouldn't be affected by any problems with the Beta serial number,.

The latest beta serial should be this one, from the main beta thread ....

to register the Carrara 8.5 Beta you will need to use the serial code listed here:
    CDZCPRO-085-0031100-RLS-001-EBTQFSA (Expires September 15th 2012)

This should be working. also,... make sure you don't copy/paste any blank spaces.

Hope it helps :)

• gregoryhilldesigngregoryhilldesign Posts: 18
    edited December 1969

Thanks for mentioning the empty space... that's what I must have done. I just re-opened and reentered the serial no. and it worked fine. I don't know why I had to do this though. I've been using the beta for a couple of weeks now with no problems... suddenly this morning I had to re-enter the serial no.

Oh well....

• judee3djudee3d Posts: 171
    edited December 1969

This has happened to me too, new install on a new machine 64 bit. I'm not installing the beta, the beta number ends in 172, I think, this is 132, and was from a reset of my downloads.

My download reset actually gave me two versions, the 132 one and another earlier one. Should I try to install the earlier one? It was Carrara 8.1, though not 8.5. There were no empty spaces on the serial number, I was very careful, and tried it several times. Maybe all 8.5 versions are still beta?

edited December 1969

Hi Judee3D :)

Maybe all 8.5 versions are still beta?

Yes, Carrara 8.5 is still in beta development, so until it's released, the Main version of Carrara will is remain as 8.1.1.12, (this is what you should have in your available downloads, (Along with the current beta version)), and this is the currently available "production version" of Carrara, which you should have installed.

The serial number for your Carrara 8.1 , should be available in your "my Account" (Available serial codes) and will not expire.

The beta , if you choose to install it, should be installed into a separate folder from your "production version" of carrara, since it's a new version, it has a different serial number, and since it's in Beta development, the "beta" serial number, will expire.

• judee3djudee3d Posts: 171
    edited December 1969

Thank you 3DAGE, that makes sense. It would be nice if the downloads for Beta were somehow marked as Beta. Both versions appeared in my downloads when I reset it, I just took the most recent, didn't consider beta versions. I'll know better next time. :) Thanks for the help.

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    Hi Judee3D :)

Maybe all 8.5 versions are still beta?

Yes, Carrara 8.5 is still in beta development, so until it's released, the Main version of Carrara will is remain as 8.1.1.12, (this is what you should have in your available downloads, (Along with the current beta version)), and this is the currently available "production version" of Carrara, which you should have installed.

The serial number for your Carrara 8.1 , should be available in your "my Account" (Available serial codes) and will not expire.

The beta , if you choose to install it, should be installed into a separate folder from your "production version" of carrara, since it's a new version, it has a different serial number, and since it's in Beta development, the "beta" serial number, will expire.

I reset my Cararra Pro Upgrade download to get the 64 bit version but I did not see (and do not see) anything that tells me that the version I am downloading is 8.1 or 8.5.......

I did not ask for the Beta version I simply wanted to DL the 8.1 version 64 bit as I went from a 32 bit system to a 64 bit system. How do I get the 8.1 version that I can use my serial with and actually render something other than a black box?

edited December 1969

Hi SLoTH_XVX :)

It sounds like you're doing the right thing, ....

By resetting your downloads, you should get the Production version of Carrara (8.1.1.12) and the latest beta version.

One thing to bear in mind is that the display of files in the "My available downloads" area is now limited to display 10 items per page (although you can change that to 20 or 50 I think, with an option on the page.

It's also worth noting that you get both Mac and PC downloads in that listing.

With both the above factors, you need to make sure that you're seeing all the available downloads by checking through any other pages, since the Carrara Production version will come with a bunch of bundled content files for V4 / M4 etc...

So,.. Make sure you go to the last page in your "Available downloads", and check through all the files

• edited December 1969

SLoTH_XVX said:
    I just did a fresh install of Carrara 8.5.0.132 (64 bit version) on my laptop (have not installed it on this machine previously) and input my serial code for Carrara 8 Pro Upgrade and Carrara is telling me "The serial number is not valid".......am I missing something?

I reset my Carrara 8 Pro, downloaded it, installed it and put in my serial from my account and it is telling me the serial is not valid. Why?

Are you on a new MAC OS?

• edited December 1969

judee3d said:
    This has happened to me too, new install on a new machine 64 bit. I'm not installing the beta, the beta number ends in 172, I think, this is 132, and was from a reset of my downloads.

My download reset actually gave me two versions, the 132 one and another earlier one. Should I try to install the earlier one? It was Carrara 8.1, though not 8.5. There were no empty spaces on the serial number, I was very careful, and tried it several times. Maybe all 8.5 versions are still beta?

ARE you on a MAC OS a newer one?
    edited December 1969

HI SLoTH_XVX :)

The Carrara 8.5.0.132 is the Beta version,. so, only the Beta version serial will work with it.

The serial for Carrara 8 Pro Upgrade (from your account / serial numbers)
    is for the current production version of Carrara, and not the beta. All the betas versions have timed out serial numbers for each beta release.

You should install Carrara 8.1. and use your Account serial number.
    Carrara 8.1 Pro should be your main working version.

:)

edited December 1969

SLoTH_XVX said:

Are you on a new MAC OS?

Nope, PC Windows 7.

HI SLoTH_XVX :)

The Carrara 8.5.0.132 is the Beta version,. so, only the Beta version serial will work with it.

The serial for Carrara 8 Pro Upgrade (from your account / serial numbers)
    is for the current production version of Carrara, and not the beta. All the betas versions have timed out serial numbers for each beta release.

You should install Carrara 8.1. and use your Account serial number.
    Carrara 8.1 Pro should be your main working version.

:)

Thanks 3DAGE I understand that the 8.5...is the BETA and I understand I need to install 8.1 to use my current serial.............nevermind, I went back and looked at my DL list again and found that there are two sets of install files. One for 8.5 and one for 8.1 (neither is marked clearly as to which they are)

8.1DL_.jpg
    735 x 319 - 60K
    8.5DL_.jpg
    702 x 460 - 98K
    edited December 1969

Why would DAZ add the 8.5 DL to my list when I did not request it?

I requested a reset of my Carrara Pro 8 Upgrade, not the Beta.

I would love to see the version # included in the description of the DL links instead of having to find out by activating/selecting the link to find out what actual file it is. I know that this is not likely to become something DAZ puts into practice but it would still be nice to see.

As for my issue with rendering a black box I will have to reinstall 8.1 and see if this corrects the issue.

Thank you everyone for you help and input. (Hopefully) frustration overted.....

edited December 1969

Great! Now I am getting a grey box.........

.....which is exactly what I expected to get!

Thank for all your help.

Doc2.jpg
    400 x 300 - 4K
    edited December 1969

I'm glad you're getting somewhere,. :)

It's standard practice now, to add the latest Beta version if the main application is Reset.
    IMO It's better to have it available that way than to have people add the latest beta to their basket in the store, etc...

At least you're up and running now :)

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    I'm glad you're getting somewhere,. :)

It's standard practice now, to add the latest Beta version if the main application is Reset.
    IMO It's better to have it available that way than to have people add the latest beta to their basket in the store, etc...

At least you're up and running now :)

I am not against having the latest Beta version as part of the reset on the download, however it should be noted in the item description that it is a Beta version. We shouldn't have to start the DL to find out what version the link is for.....just seems like common sense to me...?

Either way thanks again for your help with this 3DAGE.;-)